Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Bermuda Grass in Iris bed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NMChilltown
Clovis, NM
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9169494

I have Bermuda grass in my Iris bed...Is Grass-B-Gon safe for the iris or is there something safer out there, even a home remedy that would work. I really don't want to risk the iris, they were planted years ago by my father, and pulling the grass out has become a huge chore that never seems to work.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9170100

Unfortunately there is no chemical that will kill the bermuda without killing the iris. Bermuda is a very hard to kill grass that requires repeated applications of a cocktail of chemicals just to put a dent in it (other than Brush Killer, of course). There is a product called Over-the-Top that is labeled for killing grasses in perennial beds but it will only knock the bermuda back, not kill it. Sorry :(

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9170131

If the grass isn't too wide spread in the bed, you can use a small paintbrush and Grass-B-Gone in a small container and paint the Bermuda grass. It will take more than one application, but the only other alternatives i know of are to dig out the Bermuda or dig up the irises and treat the bed with Round-up. 8-(

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America