Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

need desperate help with finding the right rose bush!

Bath, MI

hello there! i am new to 'daves garden' and really need some help on rose bushes! would anyone know of a rose bush/climber that can tolerate partial shade, and is cold hearty. i am in zone 5, trying to find something that can grow on either side of my bay window on the north side of my house. unfortunately, not a whole lot of sun on that side. half gets about 3 or so hours in the morning, and the other half get the same time of evening sun. would i even be able to grow a rose bush in such conditions? i've seen some partial shade rose bushes, but they are always sold out, so i'm having a heck of a time trying to find something! any and all help would so very much be appreciated! thank you so much!

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

have you thought about other types of vines? I think you will have trouble getting a rose to thrive under those conditions.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Roses need at least 4-6 hrs of sun

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

btw welcome to Dave's Garden Lee. Here is an article about some vines that might fit your situation; hopefully you might find something you like.

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

You might check out the rose Zephirine Drouhin. It's a beautiful medium pink with wonderful fragrence. It can be grown as a climber, tolerates shade and is hardy through zone 5. I love mine, and it is growing in shade with a northern exposure...hasn't missed a beat with heat or cold.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

You can goggle P Allen Smith video on climbing roses, you will find more videos on other roses too.I saw a great show on a cable program called Create about New Dawn Rose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.