need desperate help with finding the right rose bush!

Bath, MI

hello there! i am new to 'daves garden' and really need some help on rose bushes! would anyone know of a rose bush/climber that can tolerate partial shade, and is cold hearty. i am in zone 5, trying to find something that can grow on either side of my bay window on the north side of my house. unfortunately, not a whole lot of sun on that side. half gets about 3 or so hours in the morning, and the other half get the same time of evening sun. would i even be able to grow a rose bush in such conditions? i've seen some partial shade rose bushes, but they are always sold out, so i'm having a heck of a time trying to find something! any and all help would so very much be appreciated! thank you so much!

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

have you thought about other types of vines? I think you will have trouble getting a rose to thrive under those conditions.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Roses need at least 4-6 hrs of sun

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

btw welcome to Dave's Garden Lee. Here is an article about some vines that might fit your situation; hopefully you might find something you like.

http://gardenofpossibilities.com/2009/08/28/vines-for-shady-areas/

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

You might check out the rose Zephirine Drouhin. It's a beautiful medium pink with wonderful fragrence. It can be grown as a climber, tolerates shade and is hardy through zone 5. I love mine, and it is growing in shade with a northern exposure...hasn't missed a beat with heat or cold.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

You can goggle P Allen Smith video on climbing roses, you will find more videos on other roses too.I saw a great show on a cable program called Create about New Dawn Rose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.