Photo by Melody

Daylilies: My Daylilies are terrible this year............

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 95, Views: 1,221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9169849

I anyone else having this problem this year?

Last year (my first yr. with daylilies) they were healthy and gorgeous...this yr. they all have some yellowing leaves...a little to alot...

I keep them watered...at least once, sometimes twice a week (we are in a drought here and have had only 1" of rain in a month and a half).

And we have had a weird spring and now a dry hot summer. I even gave them an epsom salt purge...

How is everyone else doing? Any suggestions?

Here is my Siloam Double Classic this year...last year it was wonderful

img[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/sm4657/IMG_0839.jpg[/IMG]
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9169851

hmmmm...picture didn't upload...I'll try again...
img[IMG]http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/sm4657/IMG_0839.jpg[/IMG]

I can't seem to get the pic to upload from photobucket...

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 9:57 AM
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9169856

I'll try again.

SUCCESS!!!

Thumbnail by sm4657
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9169885

Mine are not doing well either...the plants are shorter and the blooms are smaller on a few. Not blooming as much either. I think it's the weather...and lack of rain here. Lot's of dried leaves on mine as well.
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

June 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9170079

Mine are a mess and part of it may be my own fault as I have clumps planted in 1980 and never moved. But most years they rise out of the weeds and bloom in the shade with few problems. Ed Murray is reduced to five or six buds but in the afternoon shade is unburned and unblemished. This year it started with the Lemon LIly that sent up scapes in March after more than a week of record heat and then it froze in April--buds on the Lemon Lily turned to mush and not a one bloomed. The orchards around here have lost a large part of their crop and the price of apples may rise in the fall----I don't know how the vineyards made out but you have to feel bad for people working these farms. A lot of scapes are now rising, four or five clumps of Ed, seedlings I almost forgot but now we are behind in rain and apparently none in sight---and I am seeing thrips and red spiders. Well there is always something that blooms well here and for some reason the yellow foxglove grew three foot spikes, a kniphofia that the deer chewed right to the ground recovered and bloomed and I have to finally like the mislabled meadowsweet that was supposed to be double but is single because it spread three feet and soared over my head which should look kind of pretty. But the daylily buds look a bit deformed weather from the weather or the blasted thrips and red spider I don't know.----------------------------------------------------Weedy
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9170092

Ive read more complaints this year than ever before. Problems with pods and pod setting as well.
daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9170263

A perennial nursery in our area sent their newsletter saying they had calls about daylilies with the same problems as yours. They said they made inquiries and were told the very warm spring followed by the freezes damaged the foilage.
onegoodman1955
Normal, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9170586

The conditions of my daylilies appear to be late-August (not June) with the leaf browning and die back. I think the daylilies are going into preservation mode due to drought. I normally don't water (one of the reasons I love daylilies) but am watering gardens, shrubs, trees once/twice a week.

Daylily bud count is lower, blooms on many are smaller...of those that bloom color is intense this year.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955

daylilydreams
small town, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 19, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9171140

We certainly don't have drought here we have been having lots of heavy rain and my daylilies have plenty of leaf browning which is not normal for this time of the year. Daylilies here are full of scapes and should start blooming soon.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9171411

Thanks everyone for you input...I thought I was doing something wrong, and was racking my brain to figure it out...The daylilies that are the worse are the ones that get full sunlight all day, and yesterday it was 95 here with high humidity making the air feel like 104...

Even 'babying' them with water wasn't helping nor epsom salt...the ones that get afternoon shade are doing better, but still have some browning...

It's got to be the weather.

It has been crazy here...the rain is either up north (northern Iowa, Minn., or southern Iowa, Northern Missouri)...here is central Iowa the cracks in the ground are so huge, I could lose my dogs in them! They keep predicting some rain, but it either goes north or south of us...The field crops here are really suffering...

It has been terrible. I have 3 horses, and I have 20 acres of pastureland, thank goodness, but they are in the barn in the afternoons under fans...which makes me hay them at night, and the hay people are having an awful time getting any hay...so the hay prices are up...

Just crazy here...
hostages
Wyoming, MN

June 19, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9171985

Lilies and daylilies are beginning to pop here. Plants are in great shape here, many have multiple scapes this year.Many of the lily stems look like they could cause bodily harm, they are in excess of 1/2" diameter. Megatron daylily has scapes of similar proportions. The ANTICIPATION!!

Gary
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 22, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9175486

I have the same problem; yellowing leaves. Very dry here also. We had 85 degrees for a week in the middle of March, followed by frosts...Also anticipating very high hay prices and very low milk prices. I feel the way my daylilies look...
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9175569

2" of rain yesterday afternoon! YEAH! soaked up really quickly!
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9175577

I had alot of seedlings I was going to cull yesterday. They were brown and alot had died back to almost nothing. I figured why keep them. Welllll...I went to pull them up and they all had just beautiful roots. I was shocked. Needless to say, now Im saving them till next year. I guess they are just taking the 'party' elsewhere for the summer. Cooler down below, thats for sure.
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

June 28, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9185333

The later daylilies seem to be settling down a bit better and seemed to have escaped frost damage--old ED Murray has scapes on every division I made last Fall, eighteen scapes all together so I may talk myself into some crosses as there will be a lot of flowers to work with. Wild Horses has turned into a nice clump and is sporting a bunch of scapes---Ed seems to team up with Wild Horses which may take some figuring to predict what the offspring will look like but what the heck, I'm just a backyard pollen dabber---curiosity is part of the quest. A row of rosea seeds I planted outside in Fall 2009 have sent up more than ten scapes and look like they may be very tall and spidery---two scapes are already five feet tall with very thin narrow buds----curiosity as to what color they will be, weather pinks or the yellows that sometimes pop up. They are close to some ditch lilies and I was surprised to see that the branching was exactly the same----so are they all fulvas? I always thought rosea looked a bit different from other fulvous daylilies, wondering why Stout classified them together. A quilled petaled daylily that I crossed with Orchid Corsage looks like there will be some blooms and I will try to figure out if it is a recessive characteristic and if it is how do I get some more in maybe different colors. I have an old picture of that one so I will post that as I am tired typing!!--------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy

weedyseedy
Warners, NY

July 1, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9189359

Well I am still trying to figure out how to use the camera, I remain techno-challenged about anything computerized. I hope I can figure it out as I have a big clump of Wild Horses and another of old Ed Murray that started blooming. The rosea seedling bloomed and was, melon, I think, not pink so I don't know where these are going to go but it takes my mind off things. Wife needs a breast biopsy and that always makes one nervous. This is about the third plus a lumpectomy, all were negative so perhaps this is just another false alarm!----------------Weedy

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9189401

Weedy, we are praying for good news on DW test. Good luck on the sdlgs. Mike

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 7:58 AM
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9189506

Some of my plants blooms are half the size they should be and some are really thriving on this heat. Not all of them are happy.
mtgegal
Shawnee Mission, KS

July 8, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9197738

I too need help with my daylilys. These are established plants, getting water with out signs of bugs. Thought at first they were dry, but they do not appear to be. Some of the plants are doing just fine, others look like they are dying. Can anyone suggest the problem? Your help is much appreciated!

Thumbnail by mtgegal   Thumbnail by mtgegal   Thumbnail by mtgegal   Thumbnail by mtgegal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9197772

That looks like crown rot to me. I sure would get another opinion tho. Its the only thing I know of that will kill a daylily and it unfortunatly it is fatal.

I would for sure get that mulch from up around the crown and pull the old stuff away. Id then kinda dig around the crown with my finger to see if it has rotted or is soft.
mtgegal
Shawnee Mission, KS

July 8, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9197775

What causes crown rot? too much water?? will it spread to the other plants?
mtgegal
Shawnee Mission, KS

July 8, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9197777

and thank you very much for your reply gardenglory!
tink3472
(Michele) Cantonment, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9198103

This is the AHS link to crown rot. I thought it explained it in more detail but maybe it got changed when the dictionary was redone.
http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/crownrot.html

It does look somewhat like crown rot.Overwatering, overfertilizing, heat, stress, dryness among other things can help contribute to rot. I had some rot last year because I thought they were getting enough water but when I unpotted them (they were in pots) they were bone dry and between the stress of not enough water and the heat they began to rot.
Basically crown rot is either a fungus or a bacteria and it lives in the soil (or can be brought in with new purchases). There are different kinds and some smells rotty like rotten potatoes and some doesn't. The quickest way to know for sure is to try and full the fan from the crown, just give it a slight tug. If it pulls out easily and has a bad odor or is slimy then it's most likely rot.

It almost looks to me like they are trying to go dormant. Are these dormant daylilies? Has it been really hot there lately. Even though they may not appear to be dry they may be if it's been hot, they really need deep waterings. Here we have daylilies that go into summer dormancy because of the heat and once it cools off they will start to grow foliage again, these can be dormants, evergreens, or semi-evergreens.

Hope this helps
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

July 9, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9199248

This is a tough year for daylilies in the upper midwest. I've been at lots of different gardens between here (not too far from Fargo) and the Twin Cities, and I've seen daylilies *everywhere* that are doing this strange thing, of starting out green, then sending yellow leaves that eventually brown and die. Local nurseries report dozens of similar inquiries. I look closely at some of my plants - whole fans appear to be on their way out. Consultation with a major regional grower yields no great enlightenment, other than the observation that what we all have in common is an extremely mild winter with late snowfall, and an early spring which brought shoots up but was interrupted by several days of hard frost. This is just what Daylilydreams mentioned.

The question is, what is the best way to help these plants make it through and perhaps recover? Fertilize and water regularly, mulch in the fall, and just hope we get more snow this year? Cut off rising scapes and try to send the energy back to the crown (SO hard to do!) Daylilydreams, did you get any suggestions about culture, under these conditions?

-- Joan

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 9, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9199610

Here in Wyoming our spring was like summer. Now we are getting hot August weather. It has been 90's for weeks. It has affected my DL's with lower leaves turning yellow. Plenty of buds that are opening. The demise of the lower leaves is from the heat, coupled with drying winds. Other than that, they look great. I hope I will get some seed pods from my crosses. Daylilies have started to bloom, including my seedlings but Tets are difficult to pollinate when it is hot. I do it early in the morning before leaving for work. .

It is also affecting Irises. The high temperature came on too suddenly and fast. Plants had no time to adjust. Irises bloomed in May when they are suppose to bloom in June. They are long gone finished but I have plenty of pods ripening.

Forgot to mention that the photo seed sown from sprouting fall 2010 and planted in coldfram May 2011. Seeds were purchased. First bloom with more coming... It is a keeper.

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 5:34 PM

Thumbnail by blomma

sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9200206

Yep...same weather her...we had a good week/ 10 days of unusually hot/humid weather...100 degree temps, and 105 heat index...then a break into the 80's, but very very little rain.
I even have my Autumn Minuret already in bloom...it doesn't normall bloom until August...

The weather is at least a month earlier than normal...

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 9:41 AM
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

July 10, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9200282

Thank You for the prayers, Mike, today is the day for the biopsy. I hardly believe the organization of our Drs in this town. DW had a complete physical 22 June, Dr ordered routine mgrams, done 27 June, radiologist called back in an hour, wanted more films, done 29 June, compared with last years films, primary Dr notified same day, made appt with surgeon saw him 2 July, biopsy scheduled for today. Hardly time to get nervous----and of course could be nothing. Had highly personal biopsy myself with no problems--old age, mostly! Meanwhile it rained----a little and the seedlings bloomed and were a let down, pinks and spidery melons but interesting in that their branching was the same as wild fulva. Also old ED Murray bloomed it's head off and Wild Horses made a big clump so if I get the time I may cross them!!! Strange.-----------------------------------------------Weedy

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9200753

You are welcome Weedy. Praying for the best.
I have been cutting down any fans that look like they are dying so the energy of the roots can go to the fans that are healthy and possibly send up new fans. The late blooming Bermuda Coral bloomed today. Mike

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9201077

I have to say that most of my daylilies are looking spectacular, with the exception of maybe 20% that are not up to par (shorter, with smaller bloooms). I always seem to get dead foliage around the bottom at this time of the year. I think it's the heat and lack of a good amount of rain.

Weedy, we had a spring like yours, with a drought first, then lots of rain, very unseasonably hot weather off and on in the spring, followed by freezes, just crazy. The hostas came up early, and many sustained freeze damage because of it. The magnolias around here got lots of freeze damage, as they were early, like everything else. My wisteria lost all its buds, but it's blooming now - go figure!

Nice seedlings, blomma and Weedy.

Prayers go out to your wife, Weedy.

Karen
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9201254

Some of my DL's are spectacular - large blooms and tall. I kind of think it is the ones that happened to get a lot of water, because I forgot to turn off the hose or something like that...
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 11, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9201414

Hope the test went well for your wife Weedy... biopsies are always nerve racking! Prayers for both of you.

Finally getting some much needed rain here... had about 2" in the past week and a half...a really nice change - not to mention that the temps have been much better. High in upper 80s to low 90s, some days even in low 80s...sure beats 106+

Genna

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9201481

I'm sweatin' it right now, as the pump to our well is on the fritz, and looks like it may be an expensive fix. I have tons of pots that need watering at least every other day, some daily. If I don't get it fixed soon, plants will start dying pretty quick, unless we get some rain. Been a lean couple of weeks for rain, with high temps last week. Not as bad this week, but with no rain, even 80s can bake the plants in the pots. Waiting on a guy to come out and look at the pump today. Hope he has better news than the last guy, who said our well needs to be dug up and will cost $4200. We just don't have that kind of money.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9201527

Ouch!!! That is an awful price. We had to put a new well in at our cottage about 10 years ago and it was 2,200.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9201532

That sounds like a better price, but then things are probably cheaper where you live. I'm just praying we can get someone else to tell us things are not that drastic.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9202071

Weedy,

Hope your significant other came out of the process with all negative results, but...if not, life goes on. I am a survivor for 11 almost 12 years. I look better with a bra and breast pads on, but other than that all is well. LOL

I chose not to do chemo, with a lumpectomy but had a mastectomy instead. The following year I had the other one removed as all I did was keep checking over and over and over. I did take Tamoxiphin for 2 years until they started finding out the bad effects from it, so I quite taking it. Still ok and still have the ultra sound (in place of a mammogram) every year. This year they found a small cyst on the left so are keeping an eye on it by testing every 3 to 6 months, but my feeling is if it is a cancer, then dig it out and just hope for the best. (I also say my prayers!)

Linda
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9202400

Nice positive attitude Linda. It's seven years for me. I had a lumpectomy with chemo and radiation. Don't think I could ever do the chemo again. The medical field is starting to rethink the chemo thing. My cousin was just diagnosed and they want to do radiation seeds implanted. Something new.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9203342

Thanks for the up hemlady. I didn't want chemo and I didn't want radiation ruining the good cells, so opted for the modified. I've had FBD like forever. The surgeon gave me the options before he knocked me out and said if they found cancer cells in the nodes they would have to do a mastectomy anyway, so I just opted for it in advance. Actually, I like not having to wear a bra when I'm working outside! (he he)
I thought about reconstructive surgery until I read a lot of discussions in the Breast Cancer magazines and decided it was not a good option for me. So there you are. Flat chested, blue eyes and silver hair!! LOL My cat Savannah loves me though...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9203491

Guess I'd rather be flat chested than dead. I still have lots of living to do.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9204233

Karen...my thoughts EXACTLY!

Thanks

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9204415

:-)

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9205495

Hang in there Ladies !! "Life goes on". You are all inspiration for all women out there and men too. Your strength and resilience inspires us all, with or without ailments. Just celebrated nine yrs as a transplant recipient 7-13-12. Despite everything life is good. Just need to start thanking the ALMIGHTY more consistently. Need to also work on being a better husband and person. This mean less time in the garden ! BFG!! Mike

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 14, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9205513

Glad that all of you who experienced bumps along life's road are still with us here. Hope you all have many, many years left to garden.

Mike, I am curious. What is that plant? You better keep taking care of God's creations. Who else will do it.

Am I the only one who have problems with pollinating DL Tets this year?. It was difficult last year but this year is worse, even early in the morning before going to work. I have only managed a few crosses that took. Meanwhile, I have iris seed crosses maturing all over the place. I know it is the heat, 90 degrees for 2 or more weeks. This is our August temps we are now getting, started in June.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9205515

Mike, What is that thing???

Linda

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9205522

Thanks for the wonderful words, Mike. That looks like a Peruvian daffodil.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9205532

Also called Spider Lily. Bought at Menards about 4yrs ago. Multiplies quite well. The tag with the scientific name is somewhere in the garage. When I come across it I will post it.
World Class Oddity and Big Smile

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9205621

Good for you Mike!!!

Blomma, I am having trouble with dips and tets this summer. Some plants that were quite fertile last year are not setting pods this year. Mapping Pennsylvania hasn't even given me a flower that has a stigma yet, pollen but no stigma. Wierd.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9205642

Hemlady Elma Tipton has done that on a few blooms for me.
Blomma, I guess that I will have to garden a little faster to achieve my goals. LOL!
Pack Hunter

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 5:14 AM

hostages
Wyoming, MN

July 15, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9205756

Blomma, my plants are beautiful but crosses I have made have not taken. I only have one plant so far with op pods on it.

Gary

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9205957

Found cut-out of plant info that I saved.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

July 15, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9206702

Well Mike, that depends on what goal/s you have LOL!

Pretty plant but not for WY. Shucks!

Glad to know I am not the only one not getting a lot of crosses. Almost every new or nearly so, daylily are blooming so I am rushing around getting photos first, crosses after while still cool.

I have lots of DL seedlings from 2009 that are beginning to bloom, and 2011 growing in my nursery garden. Below are a few of the seedlings that bloomed. Some from LA. The row of seedlings were planted May 30, 2010, the day I took the photo. They are much larger now.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9208051

Blomma your sdlgs are nice. The first and the fourth one is my fav. The Daffodil above will grow in your zone. I dig and bring it in for the winter. It over winters well indoors.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9210728

Mike, I love that PACK HUNTER. I love a lot of Mahieu's daylilies.

Blomma, I like the same seedlings that Mike voted for.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9211525

Karen the two plants that I got this spring bloomed. I wanted to add some tall ones by the south fence. I currently have PH, Give Me Eight, Sherwood Gladiator and Jolly Red Giant (believe I got this one from you) in that location.Recently digged out some Iris and spring blooming Anemone. Planted three hibiscus that I started from seed in the back. Planted some reblooming G/Iris in the middle and daylilies in the front. I had a hibiscus that I started from seed this spring bloomed. It,s a long blooming white one.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9211969

Mike, I don't sell Jolly Red Giant, but I do sell Jolly White Giant. I just looked up JRG, and it looks like a nice one. I have Jolly Pink Giant, too.

I have one hardy hibiscus, and one tropical one. Would like to get more hardy ones. They really are nice.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9212129

Karen, I did get JWG from you for sure. I can send you some seeds when I harvest them this fall.
Jolly Red Giant - first year plant
Last pic of the white one from seed

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB   Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9212130

Hibiscus seeds Karen.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9213001

Oh, seeds would be nice, Mike. Are they easy? I saw some hibiscus at a nursery today. They were about $20.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9213170

Karen they are very easy.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9213873

Nice.

Karen
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

August 9, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9235351

Large lumpectomy Monday. Why is it something always happens to make the cheese more binding?? Sunday parked in a large super market lot and out of all the hundreds of cars parked there someone in a 1995 Dodge backed into our car and when we came out the front bumper was on the blacktop. I think we both were stunned as I had to get her to the Surgery Center Monday--she started bawling. Very nice, competent, lady cop pulled a bungee cord out of her trunk and handed us the accident report and we drove away---bumper held up by a cord to the windshield wipers---I wish I could laugh a little right now but I can't . --we can't seem to joke about her two sizes now---Surgeon said a lump the size of a golf ball--ended up at least a chunk as big as a tennis ball so we are hoping his reputation for getting clean margins to his cuts holds true this time. Actually I think we are gradually decompressing and getting back to our usual chaos. I am going to find a recipe for a gluten free chocolate cake Saturday for my 38 year old son and work in the garden a bit when I'm not sitting with Herself. I take my daylily seedling tray for a walk to the picnic table daily and only about two out of 38 seeds did not germinate. Planning on potting them up, getting them in a seedling bed by mid September--just enough gardening to keep me busy when I'm no trying to keep the house running for a while. At least I can cook even if it's only a few things meat loaf, meatloaf and meatloaf.----------------------Weedy
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9235393

Wishing you both all the best and hope things certainly go better.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9239189

Weedy, same here.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9239298

I was fortunate Weedy, as I CHOSE a bilateral mastectomy rather than go through the business of "clean margins" and different sizes. I had met a lady in a Susan G Komen walk that had both removed and her reasons were the same. It helped me to make the right decision ...for me.

God Bless and watch over Herself!

Linda

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9239553

Thanks for compliments. Yes, I too like the 1st and 4th seedlings

Weedy, hope everything went ok with your wife.

I am finally getting some DL pods but not as many as I hoped. Our weather is still in the upper 80's and lower 90's. However the nights have cooled down and I can "smell" fall around the corner. The DL blooms are opening later in the morning since it is cooler. Meanwhile I can't wait around, got to leave for work. I have saved every pollen of the DL I want to use for crossing. That came handy this morning. Had only 7 DL cultivars to do. A few still have buds. I will cross till the very end. Have 4 more Iris pods to pick, then done.

Seedsower, the second photo is from seeds you sent me. Bedovin's Tattoo x Untangle My Heart. Thought you would like to see. It has tiny red dots on white

The first photo is from purchased seeds. The last 2 seedlings are from seeds and are both double blooms.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9239579

Calling all hem experts. I have 2 questions.

1] Is there a trick to cross TETRAPLOIDS introductions. I purchased TETRA DRAGON'S EYE from Bob.
2] Another BETTER YET is a TETRAPLOID DOUBLE (see photo). That one did set 3 pods. However, I noticed that the blooms had no regular stamens with pollen. There was some pollen grown on the petals rather than stamen. WHY?

Inquiring minds wants to know, LOL

Thumbnail by blomma

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9239729

I am just beside myself over that last one. Does it double every time. Really nice clear color.

As for crossing tets, no trick. Jut make sure its under 90 and you cross it with another tet, of course. Some just wont set pods, but have fertile pollen.
As for the pollen growing on the petal, Im guessing the stamen was just fused onto the petal. Im hard presed to get a double that that doesnt happen with.

Do you know the cross of that last one.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 13, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9240089

I really like the #3 picture in the next to last post. And I don't like doubles usually. That is saying a lot!

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

August 13, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9240835

gardenglory,
The last double is BETTER YET (Joiner 2003) purchased from Blueridge. Cross is SEEDLING x JOHN KINNEBREW. I crossed it and it has 3 seed pods ripening. All the flowers were double. I bought it last year so this year is the first flowering. I love it.

Below is another photo of it.

Catlin, yes, I like that one also and is a keeper. Cross is SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC x LUCKY PIERRE from purchased seeds.

2nd photo is SWEET SUGAR CANDY
3rd is BACK DRAFT

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma

weedyseedy
Warners, NY

August 14, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9241121

There should be a daylily fertility clinic as there are all sorts of different reasons they don't form seeds. Rosea is supposed to be self and within the clone infertile, they apparently crossed different clones, triploids have something called triploid block not to mention gametes of odd combinations of chromosomes but if you are patient (or obsessed) you can sometimes get seeds with wild pollen (ditch lily) if you spend an entire Summer daubing pollen---although I can't say much for the seedlings, they looked wilder than ditch lily. But I had fun---in 1987. The last few years I have been trying to get seeds from Ed Murray-- there is a cultivar from wild ditch lily X old Ed that I may buy although I buy very few except when I just can't resist. There always seems to be some plant you just can't do without--and then it dies or takes over the place---I have over a hundred square feet of wild phlox that I rustled and I have accepted the fact that it will choke out anything so I just enjoy the butterflies--and a hummingbird that came so close I could hear him chirp this morning. Ed crosses with tets and sometimes dips and as often as not the pods just fall off just as they form and fall off wild ditch lilies. But this year I have thirty six children or grandchildren of Ed Murray including eighteen from Wild Horses as that is the only tet I think I grow. ( I have a few I can't identify and I may have daubed a little pollen in passing so there is a great deal of Who's your daddy seedlings in this yard) One old seedling from years back-----Pardon Me met Ed--------------------------------------------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy   Thumbnail by weedyseedy

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9245219

I have a friend who had one breast removed from cancer. She had first had a lumpectomy done, but later had to have the whole thing removed. She said she wished she had done it in the first place. Hope everything goes well for you DW, Weedy. Sorry about your troubles. I will keep you guys in prayers and thoughts.

Blomma, those seedlings are really nice. Love the double with a hint of yellow. Also the the stippled one. Better Yet is gorgeous. Might have to add that to my wish list.

Nice red seedling, Weedy. I have several Pardon Me seedlings that I really like.

Karen
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

August 25, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9253187

Lumpectomy not enough---mastectomy week after next. I try to get out into the garden and I have daylily seedlings to plant and Spring blooming bulbs are in . It's still a trying time.------------------Weedy
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9253202

Oh boy, sorry to hear that Weedy. Tell your significant other that prayers are being offered for her.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9253785

Sorry to hear DW has to go through that crap twice! That is why I opted the first time for the mastectomy. Hopefuly this will take care of that blasted disease once and for all.

There are a lot of us "survivors" around, so she is more than welcome to ask questions and get as educated as she can about the breast cancer.

I'm here and I have "survived" for 11 years and still counting! BTW, I had the second mastectomy the following year just to prevent another occurance.

Linda
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9253962

I had a lumpectomy 7 years ago so I can answer any questions too.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9253975

Weedy, we are praying for DW and the family. We are aware that this affects everyone. When you love someone truly, their pain is your pain.
Mike
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9254072

Thoughts and prayers from me too.

Pam

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9256474

Prayers going out to you and your DW Weedy, as the big day approaches. Hoping she won't have to go through chemo.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 6, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9266928

Way behind on all my threads - but sending prayers your way Weedy for your DW. I hope that the surgery went well !

Mike, I know I am WAYYYY behind but on July 20, you posted some pics of hardy hibiscus. Is the first Peppermint Schnapps? I have that one and it has bloomed like wildfire since May! I kept thinking it would surely quit blooming eventually and it has slowed down but still has probably 12 - 15 blooms a day on it! Love it!! I was curious what the other two were? I like the white one with the red eye!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9267485

Genna, i don't believe it is PS. Bought three plants years ago as mixed. I never researched their names. The white one I started from seed this spring. All three are blooming. Got the seeds from a nice lady last fall. It was blooming into October. That's why I wanted it.
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

September 7, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9268558

Surg Tues, home Wednesday, I don't believe they send patients home this soon. Seems to be doing well though--would you believe I took the dressing off this evening and am emptying the drainage tube. She has got a long way to go, I think, before she can accept this--difficult for men, I think, to fathom the feelings. Blasted drought continues and daylilies look awful. but I'm not having a lot of time to be in the garden anyway. Good thing I can cook------fried chicken tonight and threw a couple of potatoes in the oven. Not certain how sons, 37 and 38 are understanding this. They seem a bit off the wall and youngest (her "baby") keeps coming out until told by our Dr to stay away as he has a "stomach bug". What a year. I can't do anything with this dried up clay and I want to move some perennials and daylilies and I may kill myself taking a couple trees down but thank you for your prayers and thoughts, her church has their prayer team going at it too----must be doing some good as Surgeon thinks he got it all out.---------------------------------------Weedy

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 7, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9268597

Weedy, though I am a bit late to send prayers, I am so glad everything turned out ok. You are quite a husband, and she is one lucky wife.

I lost my daughter-in-law 3 years ago to breast cancer. She was only 43. The mammogram didn't catch it in time due to the location. By the time they did find it, she was already at Stage 4. She passed away 2 years later even after chemo. By that time, it had spread throughout her body.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9268729

I just had my mammogram on Thursday and it was clear. Am now 7 years cancer free from breast cancer. Glad she is doing better. It takes time to heal but I see she is in good hands!!!!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9268907

Thank God! Glad to hear your DW is on the mend Weedy. I am scheduled the end of this month for another ultrasound, so say a few for me too. I am 11 years cancer free from breast cancer (with 2 mastectomies) but I understand that not ALL of the tissue can be removed if it had started to metasticize. How were the lymph nodes? That is the key.

Linda

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9268999

Sending more prayers for Mrs. Weedy, linda and all the ladies here and everywhere. Mike

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9271488

Weedy, I'm glad to hear the surgery went well and your DW is recovering well. I pray for the both of you that things continue to progress. Hope she can come to terms with everything in time. I'm sure that must be hard. The gardens will wait for you, though I know you must be dying to get out there and get things in shape. I feel the same way. Have had a lot of stress here myself trying to deal with a close friend, who lives with me, who has bipolar disorder. The past few weeks in particular have been really rough on me. I know how you feel about not having the time to get out in the gardens and get things done. Things here have been much neglected, and weeds have been taking over. Wish I could just take a month off from work.

Blomma, sorry to hear about your DIL. What a shame. Reminds me I need to get my mammo done a.s.a.p.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 11, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9272178

Weedy, so glad that the surgery went well and that the dr thinks he got it all. That is always encouraging. I agree, I think they boot everyone out of the hospital much too quickly these days! Sounds like she has a great nurse and cook - GOOD for her!! My husband has a hard time boiling water, so when illness or surgery strikes it is rough on everyone! :)

Blomma so sorry to hear about your DIL. Even though they have had made major strides, there is just some that goes undetected ...also the tests are ONLY as good as the person READING them. My husband had renal cell carinoma (kidney cancer) and God blessed us by having a person that we know that did his CT scan. She told me there was "something" going on with the kidney and that I needed to make sure it was checked out. SHe was "sure it wasn't a cyst". When the official radiologist report came back they said to go home and not worry - it was just a cyst. That was on a Saturday night, on Monday I hand carried the films to our family doctor about 30 miles away and asked them to have their radiologist look at it. The next day they called to schedule an additional test for Thursday, by Saturday morning our dr was calling to tell me he had cancer. It was fully contained in the kidney, and there is an extremely high cure rate with it - in fact, he didn't have to undergo chemo or radiation and is clear 7 years. ... but once it spreads outside the kidney there is a ZERO success rate! IF we had listened to the radiologist's official report, he wouldn't be here now. And I know they are only human, but his urologist said that even a NOVICE can tell the difference between a cyst and renal cell carinoma and that there was NO excuse for such an error...

Weedy will keep your wife on my prayer list. I am sure it will take a while to adjust... I know it must be as difficult mentally as it is physically!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9272627

Gen, that's amazing how that worked out. So nice to hear something positive like that.

Karen

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 11, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9272733

Karen, and gen2026 Thanks you. It was a Navy doctor that missed it. She left 3 kids---son 12, 2 daughters ages 14 and 18.

Gen, I am glad that they discovered it on your DH before it was too late.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 13, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9273902

I know that must have been really hard on the kids...

I have lost several friends to cancer - lost a dear friend and co-worker last year to pancreatic cancer. We also lost one of the kids in our school last year that would have graduated with my daughter in May :( It is a dreadful disease for sure no matter what form it comes in!!

Weedy, I hope that she is healing well and doing well mentally with the adjustment...

MIke, on the hibiscus... do they come true from seed? Mine had some seeds on it last year but I was told that they probably wouldn't come true. I didn't have any idea, so I didn't trade them or anything for fear they wouldn't be what I said they were. Mine has really impressed me this year. It started blooming probably in late April or Early May and has bloomed every day since! It still has several blooms on it every day although not totally covered like it was early on. Guess I need to add a few more to my beds because they have a lot of blooms for little work... just got to make sure they get plenty of water here...

Genna

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9274341

Genna, so far the ones I have planted have come true from seed. I have some Moy Grande that I started from seed this spring that have buds on them right now. The white ones that I started around the same time is still blooming off and on.
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 14, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9274864

Cool! That is good to know... guess I better check out my bush and see if there are any seeds on it this year!! If there is, I would love to do some seed swapping with you if you would be interested. I know I had a piece that broke off of mine early last year, I think a deer knocked it off... and I stuck it in a pot and rooted it and gave it to my sister. It did great. I have since tried to root pieces off of it with no luck, but I was told that you have to do it very early in the spring when it is in growing spurt. So, I am going to try that next spring to see if I can root some for our roundups that we have periodically in the mid south forum. I don't have much to share at the RUs so I am always try to think of something to have something to take to share.

Thanks for the info!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

September 19, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9279725

My Daylilys all bloomed at once, no early, mid or late! I baby my daylilys and they just did OK that's all! They are beautiful still, but definatey not up to par! Everyone that I have talked to had the same thing. Let's just pray next season is better for all of us:)
Alicia
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9279839

Mine did that too but I did have a few later ones. Highland Tower is always late for me. This year it bloomed its usual time but everything else bloomed out. I had to use a lot of frozen pollen on it and none of them took.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9281554

Hope next season is better for everyone. Mine weren't bad here for the most part. There were some that I thought could have done better, but most did really well, and some exceeded my expectations.

Karen
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9318793

OK, back to the topic this thread started with - lousy daylily performance in 2012. One of my well-connected source people spoke to a plant pathologist somewhere in the midwest. Apparently there is a fungus throughout this region, always present in the soil, that can affect daylilies. As we all know, these plants are ordinarily quite vigorous, and usually overcome the fungus easily. But this year, with the early spring that pushed new growth to move out way before normal, followed by a significant cold stretch (frosts nightly for several days to a week), the plants, especially the crowns, were weakened, and the fungus was able to take advantage. Here in Minnesota, even the spring temperature patterns might not have been so bad, if we hadn't also had a low-snow winter, so many things didn't have Nature's Winter Mulch to delay growth when the weather began to warm up. That heat went straight to the crowns and roots, and 'oh joy!' said they. Oops.

I suspect this is the fungus that was mentioned further up the thread, which causes crown rot. In our case, however, its ability to harm our plants was not so much a consequence of our own actions as of unusual weather.

None of my plants completely died, but all the coolest ones - South Seas, Strawberry Candy, Condilla, Pink Topping, and some old unnamed beauties - were severely reduced in number of blooms, and the plants themselves look significantly smaller. Fortunately, what was left at the end of the summer was healthy green. But it certainly was a disappointing year. I have straw on hand this year, in case it turns out to be another open winter, and plan on mulching everything that seemed to experience damage last year.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9318958

Well that explains a lot. Probably why it wasn't so bad here, as our conditions weren't quite so extreme.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America