Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Watching: DAILY BIRD PICS VOL. 441

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 139, Views: 1,421
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9169864

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1260042/

Som great shots at the end of the last thread, so be sure to check them out!

Meanwhile. Pretty quiet here except for the regulars. Here is bath time at the stream.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9169967

I really enjoyed all the photos on that last thread.

Thanks for the great new start Mrs. Ed. Your cardinal looks so pretty with the water.

Here's a couple of the hooded orioles, an osprey and a tree swallow.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9170167

Love the Cardinal Mrs. Ed.

Those orioles sure are beautiful Duc. The Osprey is fantastic, love the eye. The Swallow looks like it just had a bath? Neat.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 18, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9170321

Great start Mrs Ed! Love the Cardinal!

Wonderful shots duc!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9171016

Thanks Mrs-Ed, for the new thread. Your Cardinal shot is really nice. It looks so natural there, at the pond.
Duc amazing birds you have.
Teddy nice to see the hummingbird is used to you and relax enough, to perch for a sip.
Chilly the Cliff Swallows here, have decline to make a nest on the neighbor's house this year. The owners have made renovation to their house, and it didn't suit the Swallows taste. :D

This Hairy WP has been kept busy, feeding two fledged.
So has the Robin, it's hunting down large juicy worm.
A Chipping Sparrow going for a drink.
The Yellow Warbler, on the other hand, wanted a bath.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9171455

Burn great catches on your birds. That yellow warbler sure is a pretty one.

Yesterday was full of excitement here. Two red-tailed hawks went after a bald eagle and the battle was on. The birds weren't as close as I'd have liked, but the hawks actually forced the eagle to turn upside down several times in flight. As I'm typing this, a hawk is again diving at an eagle sitting in a tree below our home. I'm guessing that either the eagle has robbed the hawks' nest or the eagle has a fish and the hawk wants some of it.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9171457

Sorry about doubling that last photo. I meant to show you the eagle flying by me after the battle.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9171577

Great pictures Burn and Duc. The Eagle looks as though it is saying "there, that settles that". LOL
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 19, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9171916

Great action catches duc!

Burn, Love that Yellow Warbler!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9172046

Wow, wow, Duc those action shots of the Eagle and Hawk are breath-taking!!! Great pics. Nice collection there Burn, and Mrs. Ed, thank you for a nice start to a new thread!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 19, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9172057

Nice start, Mrs Ed.

Beautiful birds, Burn. The yellow warblers are such pretty birds.

Amazing actions shoots of the eagle and the hawk, duc.

Not much here. We are actually having a winter this year. A few shots from a few days ago. First, hundreds of what I think are grey teal at a large wetland in Perth's southern zone, then a black-fronted dotterel and finally pied cormorants at the ocean.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9172099

Nice shots Margaret.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9172101

Thanks everyone.
Great catch on the Hawk and Eagle, Duc.
Margaret, your Dottorel is so sweet, and love the gathering of the Cormorants.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9172884

Margaret, love that love that bit of color on the cormorants-as always, loved all your photos.

Here's a bushtit, a house finch, a crow chasing off an osprey, and a brown pelican.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 20, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9173356

Margaret, Love those Cormorants and Dotterel! Your birds have such great eyes and patches!

Wonderful shots duc!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 23, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9176814

Thanks for your comments, due, Pelle, GG and Burn.

Our local lake finally has some water in it, after being dry for several months. With the water, comes the waterbirds. No photos, but for the first time ever, there were red-necked avocets down there. Here's a shot of some Pacific black ducks in flight, a pink-eared duck and a willie wagtail.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9176961

oooo!!! Finally a chance for some pink-eared duck baby photos.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9177047

Neat pink-eared duck. I like the WW's, mainly because of the way the act. LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9177110

Beautiful pics. everyone. I especially enjoying Margaret's many birds that I don't get to see here. I like those WWs too GG.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9177430

Wow...duc amazing shots there!!

Nice as always Margaret...I love those pink eared ducks too!

I know they are not favorites ...but I was amazed how tame and close these starling would come to us at this outside McDonalds at the National Mall! I did NO cropping on these they were close enough to touch!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 23, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9177613

Love those ducks Margaret!

Neat experience nanny!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9177621

Wow Nanny, love those shots of the Starlings. As you noticed, my family is clearing out the old nest and getting ready for another family of suet and insect eaters. LOL
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9178742

Margaret, love your photos, especially that pink-eared duck.

Nanny, it's wonderful to be able to get so close to the birds. Love your photos.

We had just two minutes of our first rain in ages and every one of my hummingbirds took full advantage. Here's one looking so happy.
The other two are of an oak titmouse after a shower in the fountain. I liked the "taking a bow" pose.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9178994

Wonderful shots Duc. That oak titmouse bowing is my favorite. LOL Those little birds are so darned cute.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 24, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9178996

Oh duc those are incredible shots!!!!!

Both birds are adorable!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

June 25, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9179702

here is a better picture of the male hummingbird, he is beautiful, although all of them are.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9179861

A Red-Eyed Vireo stopped by for a bath. It was pretty funny. It would swoop down into the water, at least I think that's what it was doing. It was out of my sight. But anyway, haven't seen one of these since 2009, so was happy to have him/her.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 25, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9180383

Very cool Mrs Ed!!

Nice one Teddy!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9180705

Rock Pigeon in Washington DC...

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9180741

Pretty pigeon, Nanny.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9180928

Sweet shots everyone - duc, nanny, Mrs.Ed, Margaret, burn, teddy,

The wife and I went up to Pigeon Forge, TN and I saw this mama mallard and her 6 babes in Little Pigeon River. Dad was a little ways away.

I forgot to take my main camera, so used the wife's Nikon P5100 point and shot.

She bought herself her first guitar, a Taylor DSmini - she was like a kid at Chirstmas. She also got a "chord-buddy" and she and I stayed up to 2:30 last night picking. Ha, now her fingers are sore.

Hack

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 8:47 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9180993

Oh, I forgot to say Welcome Back Hack!
Fauther
Mcallen, TX

June 25, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9181075

A family of Chachalacas beds down next to a young Turks Cap in our back yard. A baby Chachalaca is nearby, bedded down in the shade. We've lived here going on 40 years and we've always had these "jurassic" looking birds in the neighborhood. This area is called "old" McAllen. There is alot of established, lush vegetation, unlike the newer subdivisions. We once entertained the idea of buying a new home in a new part of town, but when we saw the starkness, the bareness of it all, we decided to stay in our home that was built in the 40's. We're staying. We've never lived anywhere else since married.

Thumbnail by Fauther   Thumbnail by Fauther

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9181460

So fluffy!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9181679

Teddy, that's a really cute photo of your little hummer.

Mrs. Ed, glad that vireo has returned-great photos.

Nanny, nice shots of the pigeon. Love their colors.

Hack, glad you can find birds/waterfowl wherever you go. Sounds like you and your wife make great music together.

Fauther, cute photos of your chachalacas. Glad to hear you've found the best place to live-it sounds wonderful.

Here's a mourning dove, the waiting line of orioles-I was refilling their feeder and the rest younger orioles that entertain me daily.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9182330

Fauther, I've never seen a Chachalaca (not even sure I can pronounce it) before. Unusual looking little fella. I was wondering how far you are from Austin, my son lives there.

Thanks for the welcome back Mrs_Ed.

duc, I'm envious of your orioles. My wife has a whole new interest in music. With her chord-buddy attached, all she is doing right now is learning various strumming methods - but, the big thing is that she in making music and doing real good, too.

Hack

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 4:43 PM
Fauther
Mcallen, TX

June 26, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9182498

Hackster, McAllen is way down south, about 10 miles from the border of Mexico. These birds don't range very far from here.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 26, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9182576

Love those Chachalaca Fauther!

Beautiful pics duc!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9182659

Chachalaca is a new for me too...very cool!

Well, the Baltimore Orioles fledged while we were gone so now there are lots of hungry mouths to be feed...tho most are feeding on their own already!

We have bee having Rose-breasted Grosbeaks visit from time to time this summer!! This morning these 2 males were out on the platform!

Last is male Pileated Woodpecker. We have not seen any juvies this year. But we have more juvie Red-bellied Woodpeckers this week. I wonder if they have done a second nesting??????

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Fauther
Mcallen, TX

June 26, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9182712

Burn...love your pictures. Question: Whats in the feeder that the Hairy WP is at?
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9182713

Welcome back Hack, neat little Mallard ducklings. Fauther glad you can join us on the birdwatching forum, welcome. It's nice to see the Chachalaca family. Very unusual one to see on here.
Duc very lovely photos, wow, you get a lot of Orioles, I`m glad if I can see one stopping by in Spring. Such a pretty bird. And that little hummer up this thread enjoying a rain shower, is so sweet.
I find the rock Pigeon have such diverse difference in them,, Nanny I love taking pictures of them because of that.
Mrs-Ed, I`m glad you`ve posted the Red-eyed Vireo. It looked a lot like one, I got here on June 15. It made me go back to check it again, and sure enough it was one. It a lifer for me.
I like your little hummer Teddy.

It`s Purple finch galore here now. Next is a family of Canada Geese, a Goldfinch, Male Purple finch, and last the Red-eyed Vireo.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9182725

Fauther, thanks, sorry I missed your question before I made the last post. That feeder is holding shelled peanuts. The WPs, Chickadees really enjoy it.
Fauther
Mcallen, TX

June 26, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9182769

A Black-bellied Whistling Duck keeps its distance from me at Town Lake at Firemans Park in McAllen. Water is a magnet for birds, A Clay-colored Thrush, also known as a Clay-colored Robin (National bird of Costa Rica) and its mate have made this area their permanent home. A Yellow-fronted Woodpecker investigates an antler shed put to good use in our back yard.

Thumbnail by Fauther   Thumbnail by Fauther   Thumbnail by Fauther

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9182816

10 miles north of Mexico is pretty far from Austin, Fauther - well, not for Texas, but it is for this Georgia boy. Man, that Y-f Woodpecker is a beautty. How long are you able to leave the orange halves on the antler? Do ants ever give you trouble?

nanny, I love the Pileated Woodpecker - I wish I can see one in person. What feed do you have in the feeder to the left of the Pileated Woodpecker pic?

Hack

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 10:35 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9182869

Today, I enjoyed watching a mama House Sparrow feed some of her babes - the first pic is of one of the feedings.

I also have a bunch of juvy Cardinals. The 2nd pic is one on the ground below a feeder. It is eating the spillage and blends in pretty well. Looks like it may be a male.

Hack

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 11:22 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 27, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9183173

Nice pics Fauther, burn, nanny and Hack!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9183304

Hack, I have grey striped sunflower seeds and some safflower seed in the feeder. That is the feeder Granny Grunt made for me. I just got it last week so the birds are still getting used to it. I have not seen any birds use it but they must be because the seed is disappearing! lol

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9183386

Wow, nanny, Granny did a good job making that feeder! I haven't used safflower seed in a while. Right now its only Black Oll Sunflower and regular 'ole wild bird seed for me. I keep meaning to buy some shelled peanuts, but keep forgetting.

I'm thinking about some fruit, but don't want to fight ants. I wonder how the folks who use fruit get away with it?

Hack
Fauther
Mcallen, TX

June 28, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9185491

Hackster, an orange half will last all day, and if I'm lucky it won't be over-run by ants. If the ants start to be a problem, I just start with a fresh orange half at another feeder. The birds don't seem to mind the ants as much as I do.
Duc, that little hummer shot is a doozie.'
Thanks everyone, for the nice comments!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9191137

Nice photos everyone. With all the heat, bird activity and MY activity have slowed to a crawl.

I have recently photographed a few Scarlet Tanagers, one of my favorite birds. In doing so, I learned something new. I took several photos of one Scarlet Tanager and they were orange looking. So, I thought it was the camera settings, sun, etc. I then started some research on how to turn Orange into Red, in Photoshop. I never did accomplish that, but ... I came across the fact that there apparently is an Orange variant of the Scarlet Tanager. I learned something new.

I had a pre-order, since 2/8/12, for a new camera, a Nikon D800e. Then, I switched the order to the D800. And then, after waiting for 5 months, I finally cancelled my order. The wait was one thing but there seemed to be a number of "bugs" with this release. So, on one hand, I'm glad I didn't get an earlier release. I plan to still get one as soon as I feel comfortable that the problems have been resolved. The demand for this DSLR has been unprecedented. At 36 megapixels, I'm not sure my computer will be able to handle the files efficiently. I expected to be blown away by the image quality of this camera but from what I've seen I haven't been overwhelmed. But, I've got to try it for myself. My current camera is nearing 100,000 actuations, anyway

Keep COOL !!!!!!

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9191435

Those are some gorgeous Scarlet Tanager photos!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 3, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9191796

Beautiful shots linth! Love that orange variant.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9191886

Thanks, pelle and Lily ... We babysit our grandsons at my son's house which affords me to photograph a few birds that I don't see at my residence.
He has a nice deck that is positioned perfectly with the sun behind me in the morning hours. I put up two Bluebird houses and for the last few years they have had several broods. Tree Swallows hatched in one of them this year but after they fledged, the Bluebirds took over that house, also. I really don't bother them and have only taken a few photos. Also, this year, there are a lot of Great-crested Flycatchers around his place.

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 4, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9192328

Beautiful!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9193446

Not much going on here, My bird bath is getting a lot of activity.

1st Photo, I don't see many doves in the bath, but here's one - I guess the heat got to it..

2nd one, I guess my most often seen bird is the cardinal. Here's an adult male at one of my feeders.

3rd one, while the male was feeding this juvy was waiting its turn. Looks like it is asking me if I can maybe run the male off. The male eventually left and the juvy flew down.

4th, only recently have I spied any hummers. The lighting is not too good on this pic, but I enjoyed watching this male Ruby-throat sipping nectar. Another hummer came by and ran it off. Those rascals are mean to each other.

Happy 4th everyone.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9193451

linth, in your last post, the bird in flight, is that a tree sparrow. I've never seen one, but you sure nailed it. Did you use the old camera to take those pics?

Hack

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 10:03 AM
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9193635

Hack, the last three photos are of the 'Great-crested Flycatcher". As to the flight photo, it's a lot easier when you get them right at lift-off and your shutter speed is adequate to stop the action. I used the newer of my "old" cameras, the Nikon D300 w/ 500mm lens. I've been using that combination for a few years. Time to get a new one.

Here are two recent photos of Cedar Waxwings ...

Thumbnail by linthicum   Thumbnail by linthicum

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9193999

Had this Eastern Towhee juvie in the yard yesterday morning!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9194662

Cute juvy, nanny.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 5, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9194796

Nice shots, Hack. Good to see you've returned to the fold.

Linth, it's always a treat to see your birds. The Tanager is a stunning bird and the Waxwings are pure class. All the best with whatever camera you decide on.

Love your little Towhee, nanny.

Nice shots, Fauther and Burn.

First off is an Australian White Ibis. It's feathers are just settling down after a vigorous shake. Then Glossy Ibis. I've been trying for ages to locate some of these birds. They are so tiny when compared to the White Ibis or the Straw-necked Ibis and there seems to be a lot of variation in their plumage colours and patterns and facial markings.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 6, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9194979

A few more.

First, an Australian Reed Warbler, Little Pied Cormorant, Pacific Black Duck, Hoary-headed Grebe and finally, Great-crested Grebe

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 6, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9194980

Great Cormorant with nesting material, Stilts, Australian White Ibis, Mountain Shelducks and male Musk Duck.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 6, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9194983

A small part of the flock of Glossy Ibis, and the last two are of a Purple Swamphen.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9195012

Wow, nice collection Margaret. Love the Glossy Ibis. So cute.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 6, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9195020

Thanks, Mrs Ed. I was really happy to be able to find some that were cooperative.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9195099

Great shots Linth and Margaret.

Love the tree full of Ibis.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

July 6, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9195559

Incredible shots Margaret!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9195801

Our birding lately consists of trying to keep baby Barn Swallows in the nest and our Robins fed. Both birds are nesting right were we can see them out a window and its hard letting nature take its course. We had a time finding mealworms for the Robins, but they seem to like the nightcrawlers I've been putting out.

Our Barn Swallows hatched 24 June. There are five babies. I only learned today, there were five. I had thought four.
Picture one: Three-day old Barn Swallow
Pic Two: Nine days old
Pic three: Twelve days and out of the nest
Pic 4: Taken today, day 13 and after countless times of putting babies back in the nests, my husband built this. I was getting concerned that the parents would stop coming because of how often I'd have to go out. The parents have taken to it just fine. I am sure one or more are in there already.
Pic 5: The two parents resting in the heat of the day.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9196017

Thanks Margaret, my you've been busy. Loved all your pics, but those Purple Swamphens really got my attention.

Hack

[quote="MargaretK"]Nice shots, Hack. Good to see you've returned to the fold.

Linth, it's always a treat to see your birds. The Tanager is a stunning bird and the Waxwings are pure class. All the best with whatever camera you decide on.

Love your little Towhee, nanny.

Nice shots, Fauther and Burn.

First off is an Australian White Ibis. It's feathers are just settling down after a vigorous shake. Then Glossy Ibis. I've been trying for ages to locate some of these birds. They are so tiny when compared to the White Ibis or the Straw-necked Ibis and there seems to be a lot of variation in their plumage colours and patterns and facial markings.

[/quote]

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9196026

Chillybean, I'm glad you were able to help out those babes. Around here, they'd been in trouble - neighborhood cats. I'm always shoeing them away from my feeders. But I think my birds are wise to them, haven't found a pile of feathers in a long time.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9196047

Well, its thundering, lightning and pouring here - but, we sure do need the rain. Lights have flickered a few times, but my computer is on a battery backup so I should have time to shut it down, should power go off.

Anyways, I snapped a few pics and thought I'd share three with you all.

Pic 1 is of a pair of Carolina Chickadees. One is at the feeder and one is on a vine. Eventually, it flew to the feeder and both got along okay.

Pic 2 is a Brown-headed Nuthatch. These are hard to snap because they don't stay at the feeder long at all. But I do have a fair number of them.

Pic 3 is one of my better shots of a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird. I actually captured a bit of the pretty color of the male's throat.

Later,
Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9196057

I also remembered that on July 5th I snapped a cardinal and was thinking, "Now, that is a red bird".

Thumbnail by TheHackster

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 7, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9196145

Lots of great pictures all.
Yesterday we heard a woodpecker drumming in the trees but could not see it. It was a louder drum than usual. Late in the day some bird was working over blueberry bushes & I caught a glimpse of a red head & then saw the sort of checked pattern on the back, red bellied woodpecker, It then few away. We will have to replace our suet cakes for a better view.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9196405

Great photos everyone!! I still have one house with baby tree swallows to enjoy, sure will be sad when they fledge.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9196734

I've been lurking, but haven't had a chance to comment for a while. I just LOVE all the WONDERFUL pics, everybody!!

Here's a few. Not the greatest, but hopefully still enjoyable.

1) Blue Jay
2) Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak
3) Female Downy Woodpecker
4) 2 Male Baltimore Orioles
5) Mourning Dove

You can kind of see corn and other pieces of "stuff" in the hardware cloth mesh feeders. I fill them with just sunflower seeds, but the Red-bellied Woodpeckers like to stash tidbits that they find in the feeders.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 2:30 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9196788

I enjoyed your photos, nutsaboutnature. I think that is great your Woodpeckers do that. I never heard of such a thing. Because of the grackle invasion, I am thinking of putting up the peanut feeder.

I've never gotten an oriole to go to nectar, they prefer oranges here. They probably will be leaving us soon, but I still heard one singing today.

We have Red-headed woodpeckers nearby, but they've never been to the house.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9196831

I want to offer oranges to my birds, But being cheap, I don't want to buy an orange feeder. So, I'm gonna take a coat hanger and cut/shape in such a way so I can stick an orange on it, cut side up.

I also thought about just sticking an orange half in a suet feeder.

Shoot, I may just hammer a big nail into a tree.

Has anyone got any ideas about ways to offer an orange half to the birds.

Hack

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9196837

Hack, the nail in a tree I think is the best idea. One of the children brought a tree stump to our feeding area and we have a couple nails pounded on that. We originally had the oranges on the platform feeder, but too many birds stressed the Orioles.

The Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers seem to like the oranges, too.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9196845

We did try setting up the oranges without the nails, but they just rolled off. I wanted to mention this, since you cannot see the nails.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9196847

Our Orioles mostly love grape jelly & oranges. I put out an orange half with a little grape jelly on top and as the orange gets eaten I fill the spaces with the jelly, eventually filling the whole empty peel. Then I start the process all over after a couple of days.

I've tried oriole feeders and it's kind of a hit & miss. Most of them ignore it. Sometimes they'll hang on the Hummingbird feeders, though, if the jelly is empty or "occupied" by other Orioles.

Love your Red-headed Woodpecker. They come by in Spring and hang out for a day or two, but usually don't stay. We have Red-bellied, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers year-'round.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9196892

Hack - suet feeders work very well for oranges. I put orange halves and other chunks of fruit in suet feeders. The birds like to hang on them.

I also have a plastic feeder (I'll upload a picture) that I bought several years ago at a home center store for about $3.00 that you stab the orange half onto and it has a perch on each side.

My husband started making a cedar feeder that has a place on each side to hang an orange half and a bowl for jelly. He had to temporarily set it aside while he finished some other projects, but I'll take a picture when it's finished.

I also cut a small hole in the bottom of orange halves and stick them on all sorts of things, like dead branches on trees or shrubs.

You can also buy an inexpensive brightly colored plastic bowl . . .think "Dollar Store". Plastic is easy to drill holes in and you can hang three or for lengths of chain or cord that come together at the top. Just hang that on a hook. The birds perch right on the top of the bowl.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9196895

Chillybean, that's a cute idea with the tree stump.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9196904

Hack, the only pictures of that plastic feeder that I had right now happened to have butterflies on them, rather than Orioles, but it might give you another idea. The part with the perches slides off for washing.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2012 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

July 8, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9197661

I did not know about putting a orange half in a suet feeder! I may try that, it makes sense, the squirrels can't get it because they can't get at it. I also did not know that the red-bellied woodpecker likes oranges, it is amazing what they like to eat, if I had feeders out for every kind of bird, we would not be able to walk around in the yard! The seed feeder we have that we put the sunflower seed in, would it be alright to put peanuts in it? I tried it several times and the woodpeckers loved it, I just have to find somewhere to put it.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9197766

nutsaboutnature, thanks for all the good ideas. I sure like the "store-bought" orange feeder you posted. I'll be researching to see if I can find one like it or similar to it.

I also have a couple of those large woodpecker suet feeders. It has the wire cage mounted inside a plank of green painted wood. I'm thinking about about drilling a hole in the wood, below the suet cage, and inserting a 1/4 inch dowell for a perch. Then, I'll put in two orange halves, one pointing one way the other the other way.

Here is it early in July and I may have lost the chance to feed any orioles, but I have several kinds of woodpeckers that visit, maybe they will enjoy a bit of orange.

Now, don't laugh but here is the orange feeder I fashioned from a coat hanger. Don't know if it will work, but you can't knock the price, lol.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

July 8, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9197805

good invention, Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9197822

Thanks, irisMA, now to see if works. I'm still gonna use a couple of suet feeders, too.

Saw this male Cardinal take a moment for a drink.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9197833

I like your new feeder, Hack.

One thing about the oranges and jelly is all the bugs, but I don't think this bothers the birds at all and they may be eating a few of those as well.

Teddy, for our "regular" birds, we've got several different types of feeders two baths, plus what we throw on the ground and it doesn't take up too much space overall. We have room to walk, but it does make mowing interesting.

I sure wish we could be home to more birds, but our habitat cannot support them all. It was a joy to finally get Bobolinks to nest here and to me that is worth quite a bit even if we do not get any Chickadees at the feeders or Bluebirds in the box. Maybe some year...

Thumbnail by Chillybean

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9197840

Teddy, as long as the peanuts fit in the feeder and the birds can get them out there shouldn't be any problem with using it.

Hack, you're very welcome. I looked online to see if I could find that orange plastic feeder anywhere, but didn't have any luck. It doesn't have a name on it so it was probably a "no name" feeder that Menard's had for one season. I have to take it down and wash it so I'll take some pictures without an orange on it. Maybe it'll help give you an idea for something to make.

I think your coat hangar feeder is great. The oranges look like they sit on it just fine and you're absolutely right about the price. My gosh, we all spend a fortune feeding the birds as it is.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9197940

Chillybean, I reckon no one gets all the birds they want. I'm glad we can share via our photos. I have come to realize that birds, like chickadees, cardinals, nuthatches, catbirds, mockingbirds,etc, while common to me, may not be as often seen by others. I once thought, oh, just another cardinal, and didn't take a picture, but someone told me that others enjoy seeing birds rare to them. Margaret, of Australia, always blows me away with what she shares

Now, for me, the Bobolink pic is of a bird I have never seen. I even goggled it and saw the pretty yellow feathers on the back of its head/neck - that is so cool. So, thanks for posting it

And nutsaboutnature, thanks for taking the time to examine your feeder, I'll keep looking.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2012 7:42 PM

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9198224

I have a few pics to share:

1- I saw the branches of my Red Tips moving big-time and this Blue Jay hopped out onto a limb.

2- Not unusual to see different birds sharing a feeder. Here's a Chickadee along with a Cardinal.

3- Here is a House Finch couple enjoying some Black Oil Sunflower seeds.

4- I saw a juvy House Sparrow justa' fluttering its wings and then I saw momma come over to feed it.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster   Thumbnail by TheHackster

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

July 8, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9198232

Here is a couple of pics I got today, it was cloudy so I was able to be outside. I hope you like them.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9198880

Hack,

We only began birding last year and that's when we learned of the Bobolink. Because of farming as it is today, they have lost so much habitat. My husband and oldest son have terrible grass pollen allergies, but this year let the pasture grow instead of asking the neighbor to mow it for hay. We were blessed with at least two nesting pairs this year. Because of all the ticks that's bound to be in the pasture, we haven't gone to investigate to see how many there were, we just know we saw and heard two males. We don't like disturbing birds if we don't have to, so it's ok not knowing. We believe nesting is done as they've not been as vocal.

Do you have sound on your computer? You should try and find their song. It is the coolest thing. The Yellow-headed Blackbird has a neat song too, but we don't get them. They like marshy areas.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9198996

NIce hummers, teddy.

Yep, I have sound and will check it out,

Hack

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9199094

I came across this interesting nest at the grasslands when I was monitoring for butterflies. Nothing in it that I knew of, but it is so cool.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9199809

[quote="Chillybean"]Hack,

Do you have sound on your computer? You should try and find their song. It is the coolest thing. The Yellow-headed Blackbird has a neat song too, but we don't get them. They like marshy areas. [/quote]

Here's the link to web site I found for the sounds of a Bobolink.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bobolink/sounds

I didn't know there were more than one kind of Bobolink.

It was fun listening to all of them, especially the countersinging bout, now that is noisy. Hate to have that outside my window, while I was trying to sleep, lol.

And check out the "See-you" call.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 9, 2012 10:18 PM
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 10, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9199932

Wow, Hack, they are wonderful sounds. I wouldn't mind it outside my window - anything would be better than the sub-woofer that disturbs my sleep now.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9200668

You poor dear, Margaret. I used to live in town with that kind of thing keeping me awake.

With the talk of oranges and jelly, I want to share this picture with you. Last year, even with the oranges out, the Baltimore's stayed only about two weeks. This year, they nested somewhere close by, if not on the property. The parents have been coming to the feeders semi-regularly. Yesterday the dad came with a young! We are absolutely thrilled!

Thumbnail by Chillybean

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9200819

Oh Wow, Chillybean, that pic of dad oriole and a youngster is so cool. Maybe one day I'll have something like that to share.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9201058

Really great pics, Hack! I like the way you have a dowel going through the mesh feeder for a perch. I think I'll try that. Most of the birds just cling, but our Cardinals rarely use the small mesh feeders seeming to prefer the feeders with trays. Maybe a perch would invite them to used them more.

Marna, that is a nice nest. We have two beautiful nests in one young River Birch that were built then abandoned. The first is a Robin nest. The Robins use that tree every year and we watched as they built the new nest. I have no idea who built the second nest, but I've never seen a bird in it.

I like your hummer pics, teddy. Thanks for posting them.

Congrats on the nesting Bobolinks, Chillybean! Also, wonderful shot of Dad & the baby Oriole. The little one looks like it's thinking, "Hey, so that's how you eat these things."

Oh, Margaret, I really feel for you. We used to live in an apartment and it's amazing how inconsiderate some people can be.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 11, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9201226

Thanks, nutsaboutnature. I found that the 1/4 inch dowell rods work best for my mesh feeders. I get them from Lowes.

Hack

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 11, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9201239

Wow...great photo Chillybean! I don't have any bird photos to share as of yet...have lots of hummingbirds but haven't been able to capture any photos this year...enjoying the photos on this thread! THANKS everyone!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9201489

Thanks for the info, Hack. We have lots of dowels in different sizes. One of the two feeders came with a metal perch at the very bottom, but I don't think it's long enough. The birds rarely use it, preferring to cling to the mesh. My husband found the other one on closeout at Lowes for about $2.00 or less. The perches were missing, but that didn't matter to me.

I want to attach a perch that's long enough so the Cardinals feel comfortable using it. It will give them two more feeders to use. The smaller birds (and also the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks) are just as happy hanging on the mesh. The Red-wing Blackbirds will also cling, but they'll eat out of almost ANY feeder. That's why I fill one feeder with Safflower seed during the Spring & Summer (shells are too hard for them to crack) and hang the upside-down suet feeder (although they manage to hang just long enough to chip a little suet out so they can eat it on the ground!).

Oooh, I'm jealous of all your Hummers, AliKat32. This year has been so unusually hot here that we have very few Hummers. Plus some of my Hummer flowers suffered early in the season when we had several late freezes. I suspect we'll start seeing more again late Summer/early Autumn when they start migrating from up North.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 12, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9202627

Such cute photos everyone. If only my orioles would try out my oranges! Will have to try again.

Here's a Black-headed Grosbeak and a Hooded Oriole (through the dirty windows).

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9202856

Gorgeous pics, duc! Amazing clarity for window shots.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 12, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9202922

duc, wish my windows were that dirty, lol.

Hack
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 12, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9203068

[quote="TheHackster"]duc, wish my windows were that dirty, lol.

Hack[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Nice shots, duc.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9203205

Beautiful pictures, dirty window and all.

And then we have this...

This juvenile Red-bellied woodpecker has been a hoot to have around. S/He is looking into every possible food source there might be and finding places I never would have thought of. One of the children got this and I still laugh at that pose, if you want to call it that.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9203206

I keep forgetting I can put more than one photo on a post. Here's the same fellow/gal. Besides his funny antics, I think he looks hysterical in this "bald" state before his red comes in.

In
and
Out

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9203251

Wonderful pics. everyone. Chillybean, those a fun catches!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9203403

Cute poses, Chillybean!
The Red-bellied are a lot of fun. They hide food everywhere. When my husband was renovating our garden shed several years ago he kept finding pieces of whole corn tucked into tiny crevices that they had stashed. Every time he found some it gave him a chuckle!

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9203690

Love the antics of the juvy Red-belly, Chillybean.

Hey Lily, are you all getting any rain over there? We have for the last couple of days - wonderful.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9203747

Hey Hack...You think you could package up some of that rain and send it our way?

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9203776

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]Hey Hack...You think you could package up some of that rain and send it our way?[/quote]

Sure would if I could!

Hack

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9203779

Juvie Blue Bird watching Dad in the birdbath

Juvie Cardinal doing the "wing flapping"

Dad feeding juvie Cardinal

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9203811

Cute, nanny! It looks like the juvie Cardinal thinks it's a Hummingbird.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9203971

Chillybean, love the little woodpecker-so funny.

Hack, looks like the bbs love their bath, sweet photos of the cardinals.

The last house of tree swallows fledged just as it got into the triple digits here. We lost one baby but the other four made it and will hopefully return in the spring. Here's one of the chicks.

Here's a bewick's wren about to enjoy a morning bath.

Speaking of triple digits, the hummingbirds sure enjoy the fountains. This one was waiting for the water to go up higher but the smoke from the wildfires northeast of us was slowing the solar panel from working.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9204138

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]Hey Hack...You think you could package up some of that rain and send it our way?[/quote]

You're more than welcome to all of mine, been getting waaaaaaay too much of it recently June was the wettest ever, and July's no improvement so far

A very soggy Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9204181

Nanny, I sure enjoyed the pic of daddy cardinal feeding the young'un.

Hey duc, your 7D sure nailed that little hummer - great shot.

Wow, soggy Resin, I didn't realize the you folks were getting so much rain.

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9204195

Today, Friday the 13th :( wasn't a great day for snapping pics. It was overcast, so I couldn't crank up the shutter speed, but I did get four shots.

1- This female cardinal is perched on the iron bars that support my feeders. Later, she flew down and ate. Seems like I'm seeing a lot more males, 'course, it could just be my imagination.

2- This Carolina Chickadee, so fast, but I finally got a pic. I always have several of them flitting around.

3- I haven't seen a Downy Woodpecker in a little while. Here's a male, see the red on the back of his head? At first I was thinking it was a Hairy Wp - until I saw the black dots on the white tail feathers. If you look closely, you can see one of the dots.

4- Another hard-to-photo bird. This Tufted TItmouse stayed just long enough for me to take a pic. I think if the feeder had been more full, I might not have been so fortunate. It really had to work to get out a sunflower seed.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2012 5:28 PM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9204226

THAT's where our rain went!!!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 13, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9204573

Very interesting shots everyone! Resin, that's a lot of rain!

A little adventure from a clumsy flight of a juvenile YB Sapsucker, with a happy ending.
This first pic is moments after, I rescued this young Yellow-bellied Sapsucker from drowning in the pond. He was too weak to climb that stump. It took about 20 minutes, before he could make it up. He rested there for quite some time.Then he decided he would try to fly to the birch tree, but didn`t make it, he ended up hopping another 7' to it. When he made it up there, he made this weird thing with his mouth, as if trying to clear it`s throat but nothing came out. This went on for 4 or 5 min. After a bit of rest, from this ordeal, he flew back to the stream to get a bath, just as if, nothing had happened. He`s still come around several time a day to eat bugs and to take baths.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9204589

Interesting tale of the juvy YB, burn. Hope it survives.

Hack
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

July 13, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9204601

Good rescue, Burn, and interesting behaviour. I'm surprised that it voluntarily went in for a bath after almost drowning.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9204714

Great pix Nan, Duc, Hack and Burn. Love all those juvies antics. The weather has been hot and dried, but we did get some rains along with some thunder storm here Hack. It's nice having you back. I haven't many photos to share, but was able to rescue a Cardinal juvy from my dog the other day while Moma and papa Cardinal were flying around trying to coax the babe into a shrub nearby. I was surprised to find the chick in this hot weather. I thought all nesting activity was done for the year. Hah. Goodness I can imagine finding like YB sapsuckers or Cedar Waxwing juvies, that must be so exciting! Thanks all for sharing.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9204777

Wow, Lily, all my juvy Cardinals are as big as their parents. Your baby must have been a late arrival. Nice rescue from the pouch.

I don't own any, but I have neighborhood cats to contend with. I think my birds are wise to them. Now and then, I'll see a cat lying in the shadows, yet the birds just continue to feed. I guess the only risk any of my birds have is at the bird bath - but they're pretty vigilant, never seen any feathers indicating a cat attack. I always run the kitty off, but, darn-it, they know I'm harmless and eventually return.

It rained here again last night, my yard is greening up nicely - but now, I'll have to cut the grass.

Hack
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9204880

Duc, all the pics are sooo cute. I especially love the Hummer in the fountain.

Soggy Resin - I feel so bad for you. It's been in the news daily that all over Europe is having record rains. Those pics are amazing. Hopefully you're safe from any flooding! Please be careful

Great shots, Hack! I always tell the Downies from the Hairies just based on their size differences which is substantial, although I agree it can be harder if they're just hanging on a tree with nothing else to compare their size to.

Oh that poor little Sapsucker, burn. It's wonderful that you could save it! That continued "beak-opening" you saw is called "gaping". It's a way that birds take in extra air (similar to panting). I've seen it in healthy birds as well as birds just before dying. It sounds like your little Sapsucker went right back to its normal activities once it recovered so it will most likely be fine.

Sweet little Cardinal juvie, Lily. Glad you could save it from your dog. Hope it learns to fly well real soon.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9205136

Resin, so sorry to see the flooding. Hope it gets better there soon. That rain sure could help the brave men and women fighting our wildfires in the hot sun.

Hack, you sure have a great variety of birds. Such a cute wp and titmouse. Hey, if Resin sent you that rain, how about sending it west for me? We sure need it.

Burn such a sweet little sapsucker-so glad you were able to rescue it from the water. That second photo with the statue is a prize winner!

Lily so glad to hear you were able to rescue the baby cardinal too.

My juvenile orioles are sure enjoying the pollen in my garden blooms. This little one had so much pollen that I thought I had a new bird!

This anna's hummingbird told the oriole to leave his branch and not come back. He sure looked proud of himself.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9205137

Sorry, I forgot to add the hummer's photo. Here it is...

Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9205191

Duc, those are some super-cute photos! I love the juvie Oriole's pollen-covered beak. And the Hummer is hysterical. I don't think I've ever seen one with it's beak opened that wide. . .really looks like it's shouting at the poor Oriole.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9205261

Wow, duc, the dark area in the background behind the juvy oriole that's about to take flight sure enriches the photo - beautiful!

I saw that the focal length was 370mm, are you shooting with a Canon 100-400 lens?

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9205471

Hey, nutsaboutnature, is this the orange feeder you showed me earlier in this thread?

http://www.backyardchirper.com/bird-house-286257.html

Hack

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9205472

Ooops, double post.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 11:43 PM
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9205772

Hack - It looks exactly the same except it appears to hold two oranges instead of one. Mine has a single post pointing upward to hold one orange. This one is more expensive than my original $3.00, but it looks very nice. I think the Orioles (and other birds, too) would really like it. How did you find it?

By-the-way, I just took down my feeder yesterday and washed it. I'll take some pictures today and upload them.

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9205815

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]How did you find it? [/quote]

You know, when Dave's Garden first appears, there are some ads that come on initially. One of those ads featured feeders. So I took a look and saw it.

Hack

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9205834

Hack, yes, I used the 100-400 lens. This branch is up on the second floor deck and the background consists of trees and shrubs outside our fence.

Here's an oriole feeder my husband made for me using copper wiring and a cheapie glass dish.

Thumbnail by ducbucln

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9205844

Good thinking, Hack!

Very nice feeder, duc and the picture is beautiful!

Hack - here are two very quick shots I took of the orange feeder. I figured if I didn't do it now, I'd keep forgetting. You can see how the feeder has faded since it's darker underneath where the perch sits.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9205958

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]
Soggy Resin - I feel so bad for you. It's been in the news daily that all over Europe is having record rains. Those pics are amazing. Hopefully you're safe from any flooding! Please be careful
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm safe from floods, being on the edge of a hill. Even the 5 cm (a full month's normal supply!) of rain in 2 hours didn't get into the house, though the road was spectacular, running like a river. Lots of people have been flooded though.

Resin

PS this thread's getting rather long, someone want to start Volume 442?

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9205982

Thanks for the $3 orange feeder pics, nutsaboutnature - you'll never see that deal again.

My homemade coat hanger orange feeder just wasn't up to my standard, so I'm modifying a woodpecker suet feeder to hold two halves of an orange. I want to put perches on it and will post pics when I'm get it finished.

duc, the one your husband made is a beaut. He did a wonderful job on it.

I wonder who is on pelle's list to start the new thread.

Hack

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 1:27 PM

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9206180

OK I'll start the new one in a mo . . . it's been a long thread, but lots of excellent pics

Resin

Please head here for new pics: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1270980/

This message was edited Jul 15, 2012 9:08 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America