Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: tomatoes being watered with neighbors sprinkler

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 6, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MOM77
Kitty Hawk, NC

June 18, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9170003

my neighbor just installed a sprinkler system for his new lawn. in the initial set up, my garden, which sits on our property lines, got a few sprinkles, and I told him it was fine, as it was not hitting any plants. He has since changed his sprinkler set up, and my tomato plants are being sprinkled for about 10 minutes a day. I have a soaker hose set up for my garden. My question is, should I worry about this and ask him to change the set up back to what it was? I have read that you should not water tomatoes overhead, as the splashing can spread disease. I am also worried about the plants getting watered very shallowly every day. And I am confused about how much I should be watering with the soaker hose. Should I just be quiet and take the free (filtered well) water?
Is it going to harm my plants?
Thank you,
Michele
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9193908

You are getting free water. Thats great.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9194679

You are right to be concerned about too much watering from above and every day on the tomatoes. If it is early in the morning it may be OK because they would dry off right away. However, it is still better to water below heavily once in awhile rather than each day. Perhaps you could ask your neighbor to move the sprinkler again and explain that too much water on the leaves invites problems for tomatoes. Free water is nice but you don't need free diseases either!!! Good luck.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9194764

Or put up two posts and stretch clear plastic film to protect them. (Or white film if the property line is North of your bed.

Or put down plenty of clean mulch, which would at least prevent splash-up of soil.

I've heard that "consistent" watering helps tomatoes, at least the crack-prone varieties. Dry-wet cycling encourages the fruits to crack.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9195333

Having water on tomato leaves on a daily basis is not good for the plants. It is an open invitation for diseases.

I suggest you put up a board, or some other barrier to prevent the water from drowning your plants. Or, if you are on good terms with your neigbor, ask him/her to change the watering pattern.

Can't help with the soaker hose question. I hand water the garden every seven to ten days if it doesn't rain.
MOM77
Kitty Hawk, NC

July 6, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9195583

Thanks everyone for your reply. I talked to my neighbor and he changed the pattern. I am lucky to have such a nice family next door. Hope they like tomatoes!!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9196364

MOM77 - Yes, it's nice to have great neighbors. We are lucky that way, too. They are going to love your tomatoes.

My daughter and I vacationed in Nag's Head this past May, and visited Kitty Hawk, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America