AuthorContent
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9170044

We came from here, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257230/,

Monarch on A tuberosa (gay butterflies). Actually 2 monarchs, a male and a female.

Bruce

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9170057

Didn't get it framed well, but i like the colors

Thumbnail by BCH521
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9170169

Thanks, Bruce. The pictures are stunning. No matter the framing. :)
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9170180

AmandaEsq wrote:Thanks, Bruce. The pictures are stunning. No matter the framing. :)

:)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9171056

Beautiful colors! I have never had much luck with the Tuberosa dispite it being native here. But I have blooms on one plant this year!
Then I have a emongus (sp) A. Syrica (I think) that refuses to bloom but gets 4 foot tall and spreads underground! Grrrr!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9171951

No photo of course, but today I saw a hummingbird moth on my tall purple verbena. It sort of made my day. :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9171967

Those are always a sweet surprise.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9171974

I haven't seen one yet, but I saw a common buckeye today. Didn't get a photo though.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9171989

Got a pic in my mind though! LOL!
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9172590

This silly cat didn't have enough sense not to form it's chrysallis on the glass, but it made for an interesting series of photos this morning.

Bruce

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9172594

The rest of the story!

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9172695

It did you a favor!!!

Quite the stunning model. I have a series of photos like this. Never tire of seeing this miracle. Thanks. :)
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9172710

AmandaEsq wrote:It did you a favor!!!

Quite the stunning model. I have a series of photos like this. Never tire of seeing this miracle. Thanks. :)

U r welcome, I never tire or it either

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9173940

Nice Bruce! I am so excited to be getting some rain this morning. The Gulf is lit up with showers and thunderstorms that are rolling through my part of the world this morning. Now if we can just keep from having a hurricane...things might be looking up!

Still slow on butterflies in my neck of the woods. I have seen some cloudless sulphurs, GFs, and a Queen or two, but very few Swallowtails of any type...where did they go???

Russell

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9173983

Send some rain up here, please.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9174315

Saw an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail yesterday and some cabbage whites. I have noticed more moths too, but they won't hold still long enough for me to ID. :)
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9175103

hello all- so many beautiful pics to catch up on!
can't believe i have not been on here for so long. In the past 2 weeks i have not seen much in the way of BFs. I found a bstcat on my dill, and i tried to put a mesh cover over the plant to watch the transformation, but it must have escaped after a few days. Sad. 2 days later i found a Luna moth caterpillar under our pecan tree, which immediately after going into a more secure container spun itself a cocoon and i am waiting for it to be ready in about 2-3 weeks. Happy.
I have wanted to see a luna moth my whole life. I am very excited.
also, i finally learned how to do pictures, so here is one from last year...

Thumbnail by scarletbean

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9175297

Nice pic...look forward to more now that you know how. If you try to load more than one and it doesn't work, try making them smaller.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9177436

Bruce that was great, I enjoyed the series of photos shots.

I have lots of tiger swallowtails here. Of course Monarchs, and now I see some good sized cats again on my milkweed. A few Zebras, which I didn't ever see any last year, but no way near the amount I had two years ago. Not seeing any sulphurs lately, but did early spring. Lots of little moths.

I asked about the Milkweed bug awhile back. Until this year I've never seen them on my milkweed. I wondered if they were a "good bug" or "bad bug". Someone did respond that they didn't pay much attention to them and just let them be. I let them go for now an just ignored them, after all I couldn't really see they were harming anything. One or two of them quickly turned into more than a dozen and they kept getting larger. I started to notice my seed pods on my milkweeds were turning yellow, and eventually all withered up and never released seeds. I did some research and soon discovered these bugs are seed sap-suckers. I depend on milkweed that so easily re-seeds all over my garden as a host plant for my Monarchs. So I decided they are "bad bugs" and easily within a few minutes destroyed each one of them. They try to out run, but I easily could grab them and they met between my foot and the pavement. I lost all my seeds and will only hope new seeds will emerge in time to give me some more plants for the season. I now look for these bugs and won't allow them in my garden anymore.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9177635

Thanks Sherri for sharing your knowledge of the bugs with others. I've many MW's seedpods being formed thus far. Should you need some, dmail me.

Saw a pair of Silver-spotted skippers this evening, I'm so glad. Second pix of MW and other flowers in the garden awaiting for butterflies. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9177822

I spotted a Silver Spotted Skipper this afternoon, but had a hose in hand not a camera.

sunkissed...I don't like the MW bugs either. I will thump them into a cup of soapy water when I see them.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9178236

Thanks Lily, I do have some seeds saved in the fridge..I should be okay. Nice shots of the skippers.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9178358

Wooohoooo!!! I found my 1st 2 BST cats. this morning, that made my day! 2nd pix is the Manduca sexta/Carolina Moth's in its final phase before eclosure. I'm a happy camper ... errrr homecationeer-- that's! (grinning from ear to ear).

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
3:05 AM

Post #9179477

Nice shot of the skipper Lily, I've just started seeing them but haven't had a camera at the right time.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9179609

That is cool Lily. I have a dill plant but never seen any cats.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9179644

Thanks Bruce on the skipper, thus far I haven't seen many of them compared to last year. Sherri, keep watching the hostplant. The BSTs will surely find them sooner or later. By the end of the day yesterday I found a 3rd one. I grow both dills and parsleys for these butterflies.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9179911

Still really quiet here! I will be running my monitoring route tomorrow, so hope to have some decent numbers there. At least match or surpass same time last year I hope.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9180464

Well maybe I had some on my parsley. We got home from a week vacation and both my parsley plants were totally eaten down to nothing. :)

Even with all this wind today I saw a Giant Swallowtail flying around, poor thing was having a difficult time but was persistent to land on some penta flowers. Once there it hung on good, I tried snapping photos by wind moving it around too much.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9180720

I came home to find all sorts of BST flitting around. Guess I just needed to go away! lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9182686

Hi everyone, I don't have a new pix to share, but while watering my 'portable butterfly garden' tonite, I spotted another BST cat. on my dills. It must be a 4th instar. Sherri, I brought the cats. indoor hoping to protect them from the predators such as wasps and birds ect. I've both dills and parsley in the little cage for the future butterlies, two of the small caterpillars still hung on the dills where I found them. The 3rd one was gently moved onto the parsley-- that's where it stayed. So they do switch their diet. Hah, I said all that about BST cat's hostplant to say this; YOU may have a lot of BSTs while you were off on vacation. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9183098

4th BST cat. on the counting. :))

Thumbnail by Lily_love

SallieKr

SallieKr
Cherry Valley, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9183243

My swamp milkweed is doing well this year, after a slow start, and finally yesterday a Monarch came back. Just a month or so ago I saw one repeated circling the end of my pond, as if it were saying "where's my home?" I have 2 Butterfly Weed plants near the milkweed, as well. Who is the guy visiting my Lavender? I'll learn all their names eventually!

edit...
I should have looked closer at one of the previous pics in this thread... Silver Spotted Skipper?

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 10:19 AM

Thumbnail by SallieKr   Thumbnail by SallieKr   Thumbnail by SallieKr

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9183296

BST on the echinacea...seeing them everyday now!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9183415

Sallie...That is a Silver-spotted Skipper in your third picture.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9183591

Sallie your lavender is just as pretty as any butterfly! Wish I could grow fields of it. It doesn't like my soil . . .

I was happy today with just my usual white cabbage moths dancing around. I have hundreds of honey bees and other weird pollinators including bumbles and tiny bees and weird critters collecting pollen. I'm not exactly beekeeping so I don't know if that would be the right forum to put up my feets, but still, the sign on the gate says Monarch Waystation, so I'll just keep expecting them.

I know about the MW beetles AND the bugs. Neither are particularly favorable creatures, but as I learn they only are interested in the seed pods, I am not concerned. Also - the damned aphids - I figured that MW has been dealing with aphids for as long as there have been monarchs. The plants start looking ragged, but there are so many plants and only one of me, so if they get a couple of seed pods, they're welcome to them. :P

I do garden for wildlife, after all. You know there are some biologists out there who would get into a serious philosophical discussion about why we try to eradicate some (i.e. bacterial critters) and not others. They believe every organism has a right (?!) to exist and plays SOME important role in the ecosystem. That may be true. I'm not an ecology expert, so I obviously digress.

Another oddity - must be baby bunnies snapping the tops off of my poke MW and my purple MW. The fruits of my labor from last year - rather disappointed, particularly about the purple, but again - the wildlife. (thru gritted teeth).

By the way - for anyone else who winter-sows . . . those milk jug TOPS also act as nice biospheres for struggling seedlings and/or when you cut the tops off they can also be nice collars to protect against the dreaded baby bunnies.

Will go and play with the bugs now. I am indeed jealous of the HOMECATIONEEERS among you. ;)

A.

p.s. still seeing darty skippers and the silver spotted skipper. AND in one of the winter-sow containers I had abandoned for lack of germination, 3 Christmas Sennas came up so I guess I am growing them after all (dam, dam DAM!!!).

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9183599

Okay you all, I need your to help to help out a friend.

This is a photo of a photo they took of a moth outside their home here in Indiana. It was a large moth. She would like to have an ID on this moth. Her adult son was very much into bugs and loved moths in particular since he was a child. He committed suicide the Friday before Memorial Day...and last week this moth showed up and hung around all day. She believes it was a sign from him that he is okay now.

I told her I would try my best to find out the name of this moth for her so she can make a label for the photo.

Thanks for any help
Claudia

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 27, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9183634

Claudia:

So sorry for your friend's loss. The moth is an Imperial Moth (Eacles imperialis).

Dale Clark
Dallas county Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9183679

Claudia...prayers for your friend's family. Believing in the sign is a small thing that can bring much joy in the future. I know it isn't the same, but each one of my dogs that have left me since I began gardening has a butterfly that reminds me of them. My first was a white pekinese mix that had long ears that flopped when she ran...Cabbage whites are my mariposo Chelsea to me. (smile)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9183746

Thank you so much Dale for the ID. I will pass this on to her.

Shelia, that has to be such a comfort for you...it hurts when we lose anyone or anything that we love.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9183772

This isn't quite the same thing. Well sort of, but I situated a memory garden for my Lhasa that passed in December 2010 in the back of the yard where she liked to poo.

Our new puppy likes to poo in exactly the same spot. I'm not sure what it's a sign of. Sorry. I'm a jerk.

A.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 27, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9183794

Sheila -- I have buried three of my dogs on the property with an appropriate plant on top of them to represent a particular aspect of their personality. Lucy has a Winter Honeysuckle, because she was so sweet; Booger an Aromatic Sumac because the last few years of his life his breath was very "aromatic"; and Ethel an Agarita, because of both the sweet smelling flowers and the pointed leaves that could jab you (she had a temper).

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9186208

LOL!! Very creative Dale! Good idea Amanda, since so much of the area was filled with her scent over the years. Mine don't seem to have a particular spot other than where I walk! LOL!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 29, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9186234

I got up early yesterday morning and as is my habit opened the front door and see what and who is on the street. I noticed movement in the flower bed. It was a Sphinx moth having a late meal on the Black & Blue salvia and the native Phlox. Got the camera right quick and it complied. Maybe the Pink-Spotted Hawk moth?

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW   Thumbnail by Sheila_FW   Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9186273

Hi everyone! I'm visiting grandma in WV so I'm away from technology. Had to drive two towns over to the McDonalds to get WiFi. Grandma's neighbor has a butterfly bush with lots of activity. I've seen tons of skippers, Silver Spotted Skippers, an American Lady, a Painted Lady, a Tiger ST, a Pipevine ST, Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur...I think that's it. Expect lots of pictures when I get back. I haven't found any caterpillars yet, but I haven't given up looking.

My house made it through Tropical Storm Debby just fine according to the neighbors. Right now we're battling 100 degree weather which actually isn't that bad since the humidity is low and it actually cools off at night. Still enjoying the air conditioning, though.

Glad the butterfly activity seems to be picking up for everyone. Keep those pictures coming!

Melanie
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

June 29, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9186499

Sheila: That's a White-lined Sphinx (Hyles lineata). They will fly during the day sometimes, as well as night.

Dale Clark

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9187724

Yay! BST cats and GF chrysalis! I was starting to get a little depressed because I haven't seen as many BF's around lately...I guess they are coming around when I am not outside because I found 3 BST cats on my Italian Parsley and 2 GF chrysalis on the Passiflora! Can't wait to see them up close.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9187881

Great Spangled Fritillary couldn't get enough of my coneflowers.

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9188459

Thanks for the id Dale. Had this cat from a while back, not sure I remember how it got tagged as a Pink-spotted...is it?...or a White-lined Sphinx too?

Glad you didn't get any damage to your place Mellie...looked pretty bad in some areas. Hope the butterflies down there had sense enough to take off before all that came in.

Congrats Russell...keep going now!
Beautiful GSF pics!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9188497

Wow Sheila...that is a crazy looking cat there!. Is that plumbago? I saw a tersa sphinx moth cat munching away on my pentas a couple of days ago. It is gone now though. Soon to make another cool looking moth. We had a lot of rain the last couple of days and the plants are really perking up around the yard. There should be some great activity soon. I know the mosquitoes have already started to multiply..LOL.

Russell

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9189398

The mosquitoes are trying to carry us off here too! Yes, but it wasn't feeding on it that I know of.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9190433

I believe a pipevine. Only the 2nd one I've seen here.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9190439

Beautiful Pipevine butterfly Bruce. For some reason, Sheila we seem to get less of those pesky skeeters around here. I saw a black from ST and a yellow ST, plus a Sulpher and skippers. Ready for more.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9192212

Wonderful images of butterflies and Moth guys. Thinking of you all, who are experiencing that terrible heat wave. Hope relief come soon.

I know this is a Skipper, but don't know which one? And the one with the three butterflies, are they all Fritillary? I searched for the Orange and could not find one with that dark orange, but the ones which I thought were Pearl crescent, were among the Fritillary butterflies, a bit confused here.
I've only seen this Hummingbird clear-winged moth a few time in my life. It was a treat to get a pic of it.
and this brown little skipper. If you can ID them for me I'd appreciate it.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9192351

eight spotted forrester moth?

Thumbnail by BCH521

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9193613

Now that is a cool moth! Thanks for sharing.

Russell

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9193995

A Great Spangled Frit again!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9194450

black swallowtail eclosed today.

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9194455

Spring azure

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9194537

Congrats Bruce on the the BST eclosure! I'm with Russell, I like that cool looking moth above. I'd like to see more of the Spring azure around here.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

July 7, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9196933

Snowberry Clearwing (Hemaris diffinis) hanging out on some Garden/Summer Phlox.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9197551

Wow Dale that is a nice shot.

Enjoyed all the wonderful photos...like to check in and catch up periodically.

No photos but I do have some monarch cats again, and lots of Gulf frit cats. Tons of hummingbirds, just love to sit outside in the late evenings watching them...but can never get a good photo.

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

July 8, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9198260

Had a brief storm blow through and as it was approaching all the butterflies in my flight cage started settling down to ride it out. These Giant Swallowtails (Papilio cresphontes) often roost in loose congregations like this (and with wings open).

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012

Post #9198291

Dale, that's neat!!! I've here one of the Southern beauty; the Great Blue Hairstreak (Atlides halesus).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9198295

Ok, let's try that one more time. :)) Such beautiful little one!

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 9, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9199619

Found this guy munching away on A tuberosa.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9199653

Such clear images! Nice find Bruce. I'm having those type of cats. withdrawal. Haven't seen them last year, and thus far none this year. I suppose they'll get here in the fall. But I'm getting impatience!!! :((

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9200289

Bruce lovely moth picture - I'm amazed at the diversity you have in your neck of the woods. I am starting to think that because I live so near the GSO arboretum and that one of our restored streams that travels near our neighborhood has lots of milkweeds and such sat I am being passed by/passed over.

It's okay - I do tend to have a fascinating collection of pollinators - but I do miss the butterflies.

Keep those images coming! Lily and I will have to be content with yours.

A.

p.s. started a new job recently so I've been AWOL.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9200701

I had 12 BST cats on the fennel...they have all started to go off now. One has made its chrysalis on a nearby daylily scape, one on a daylily leaf and one at the top of the fennel plant!

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 12, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9203087

Yay! A successful hatch. What a beauty - carefully released into the garden this afternoon.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9203112

Congrats Russell! She's a beauty.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9203204

Nan, hope you'll be seing everyone one of those 12 future BST jewels in flight. Nice job Russell! Great pix too.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9203291

Thanks Russell! :)

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9203786

BST on the daylily scape...If I water I will be paying more attention now!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9203883

Hah! Nan, I'm so glad you looked, otherwise, myself? I would have cut those scapes down and wouldn't have paid attention! Jumping with joy for future BST butterflies!

Currently I've 4 chrysalid, 2 took on the straw/brown coloration, other two look green just like yours. Mine are indoor. ^:-)^

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9203922

that's pretty cool

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9204099

I can't believe this! My first BST eclosed just a little bit earlier ... today. It took the Chrysalis merely 10 days from pupation to eclosure. This is a personal record for me. As I recalled in the past it took more than 2 weeks duration! Whoa!!!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9204736

Great success all of you...nice pics too!! I have several BST in chrysalis now, with several more feeding. My last Pipevine hasn't emerged so I think it may be a gonner but won't give up yet. I can't see any holes or discoloration.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9204786

Lily_love wrote:I can't believe this! My first BST eclosed just a little bit earlier ... today. It took the Chrysalis merely 10 days from pupation to eclosure. This is a personal record for me. As I recalled in the past it took more than 2 weeks duration! Whoa!!!

congrats, he's beautiful!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9204802

Thank you Bruce, I'm very pleased with the success. I've various spot in the garden with Parsley and Dills, I hope to find more cats. but haven't (found any) so far. Sheila, hope you will succeed with the Pipevine butterfly.

OT; but it's essential~

< i > For those of us that gardening in regions that are known to be affected with Tick bites. Take good care for I'm being work-up for RMSF. (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) . The danger of the disease could be serious if left untreated. Happy butterfly gardening everyone.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 8:25 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9205109

First red spotted purple of the season

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9205111

Tiger swallowtail

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9205113

Silver spotted skipper

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9205360

Those are so gorgeous pics. Nicely done! I too begun to see many of those Silver spotted skippers down here.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9205479

In WV, I got a tick attached TO MY HEAD! I was seriously freaking out. So far no symptoms of anything. Everyone be careful though. I was just caterpillar hunting and got a tick instead. Bummer. I swear I will post pictures of my vacation soon.

Love the pictures - RSPs are some of my faves. I rarely get the Silver Spotted Skippers but they were all over WV.

Melanie

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9205754

When I go on my butterfly route through a grassland, I get tons of ticks. I've learned to curtail them with spraying with bug spray. But I still have to de-bug when I'm done.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9206175

We just got a little over 1/2" of rain, and it felt like christmas!

female tiger swallowtail
common buckeye
pearl crescent

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9206267

Great pics! Sure wish we had those tigers around here.

Russell

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9206272

Fabulous shots Bruce, Ressell, those Tigers ar such gorgeous buterflies, I agreed.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9206287

yakmon wrote:Great pics! Sure wish we had those tigers around here.

Russell

We just started seeing them again; they were here in March and then dissapeared
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9207087

Gorgeous, Gorgeous pics, everybody!!!

I hope you don't mind my sharing some pics. Don't have a clue what they are (still haven't gotten the Kaufman book Marna recommended. I have to order it since I haven't found one in any of the stores).

I have about 7 so it will take two posts. The oranges are on a feeder for the Orioles. I also put grape jelly in the orange peel as the pulp gets eaten leaving room.

Is #3 a Cabbage White? It seemed to like the Veronica Giles Van Hees (Speedwell)

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 10:43 AM

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9207088

OK here are the rest.

Is this next one a Hummingbird Moth?
The last one is very tiny and was very fast. It was hard to catch it.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9207518

Bravo nutsaboutnature! Verly lovely photos. I'll wait until someone with more knowledge to help i.d. those beauties. At the mean time, I've one more BST ecloses around noon time today. Weeee! Is this a female BST?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9207607

Thanks Lily. . .ooh, very pretty BST. . .Congrats!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9207730

Nice to see some of you with butterflies. pretty quiet here.

That first one is a Red Admiral, and yes that's a cabbage white. The other three are all Question Marks. Yes to the Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. And looks to me like a Fiery Skipper.

Kim, That's a boy. The female has a blue band

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9207748

Oooh, and I was hoping "she" will give me some offsprings in the future..., but he will have a big part on offspring making process. So that's all good. LOL Thanks Mrs. Ed. :-)

I'm now a proud "owner" of 6 more BST 1st instars. Those caterpillars get bigger as the hours pass. Half a dozen cats. and 2 more chrysalid on the way. (~Grinning ear to ear).
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9207755

Thanks so much for the names, Marna!
Butterflies around here have been scarce and it's been so hot that many of my blooms are drying up. We're on water restrictions so I can't do a lot of watering. I wish we'd get a decent rain so the rain barrel would fill up.

Anyway, I'm on my way right now to label my pics before I forget!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9207761

Wow that's so cool...congratulations MOM...I mean Lily!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9207826

ROFL on your comment nutsaboutnature. Many thanks. Those little ones do make my heart sings. Drought is bad this year that's fur sure. Farmers are losing crops because of it. It's bad.

Did you know? Those so called hummingbird moths help pollinate the type of trumpet- shape flowers? Thanks to those moths, I've this datura's seedpod developing. Otherwise, most of the flowers will eventually wilt and fall off.

After a stroll in the garden this evening. I discovered 5 more BST cats. prob. 1st, maybe one is on its 2nd instar. I feel so RICH. lol.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9208510

Lily, that's fascinating about the hummingbird moths. Thanks for sharing that info! The one I saw kept flying around the yard, but only seemed interested in the Monarda and kept returning to it.

My various Monardas haven't grown as well this year and the 'Jacob Cline', which are normally huge, barely grew. I may look for more annuals to plant or put in pots for the hummers, butterflies and bees, even though it's so late in the season.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9208590

As I've learned over the years... the Clearwing is one that is frequently seen during day light. Most others hawkmoths are nocturnal. That's when they do their night-shift duty I guess. lol

I have gradually adapted to year-round gardening for wildlife. I've lots of colorful tenderperennials to provide for wildlife habitat beside a few reliable perennials in the garden. Most of those are in containers. I find drought and heat are very challenging factors for container culture, however.

As of now, I have 11 BST cats. and 2 more chrysalid. I'm so excited with my BST success this season. Can't wait 'til the Monarch pass by here ... soon, I hope.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9209401

Glad everyone is having fun with their cats and butterflies. I had four big Monarch cats up front on the milkweed, but they were gone today (to Mom's dismay). I assured her that judging by how they'd stripped the plant they were probably wandering around looking for a good place to get out of the rain and make a chrysalis. Dad spotted the Monarch butterfly and the Giant ST today but other than that it's been kind of quiet. Lots of rain here is making butterfly spotting difficult. Wish I had more caterpillars but I know they'll come soon enough! I've already got baby Monarchs on the back porch, but I want Swallowtails (whine, whine)!

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9209472

Ok Mel, I'll sand you my swallowtails for some Monarchs please. My 3rd one eclosed around noonish today. Another pretty boy. Before the BST eclosed, I did capture a pix of a female in the garden. I hope the two of them will find one another.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9209614

Everything here is dying. No butterflies at all. boo hoo.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9209897

Marna, what's going on there? The drought and heat? Hope thing will change soon. My final chrysalis eclosed this morning. Its wings dried out, but hasn't open so I can find out if it's a boy or girl.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

July 18, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9209918

Lily_love, your third picture is actually a Spicebush Swallowtail. Spicebush Swallowtails have a "gap" in the band of orange dots on the underside of the hindwing -- Eastern Black Swallowtails have a solid band of these orange spots. If you look closely you can see this in your pictures. Actually, here's a couple of pictures from my website to illustrate the point. The first one is an Eastern Black Swallowtail; the second a Spicebush Swallowtail.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer   Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9210375

You are such a handy man to have around Dale...please continue to keep us straight!

Mrs Ed...so sorry about the lack of bfs...what is the cause?

We are having an influx of Queens around lately. I have BST still in chrysalis and tiny cat form. A Pipevine ST was active again today. I have been so busy with getting flooring in the house that I really have had time to observe much.

Well off to my volunteer job...la..la..la.later folks.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9210532

2 more GFs and another BST eclosed in the last couple of days. All released to flit around the neighborhood! Sorry...no pics lately. The yard is looking a little like a jungle with all the rain we have been having lately. Quite a change from last year. We are also being invaded by spiders of all kinds. I have never seen so many!

I know this isn't a BF, but it was an interesting web on the lantana.

The picture is a little deceiving because I took it on the macro setting. The spider is about 1 inch long.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

July 19, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9211507

Sheila, you're certainly right about the influx of Queens in the area. To me, these are sort of the signature butterfly of summer. I've got so many flying around here it's almost distracting when I walk along looking for something else on the wing. Here's a pic of some in the back yard settling down for the night. Not the clearest picture as it was almost dark. There were a couple of little clusters like this scattered around.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9211638

Wow, Dale! What's a sight! Never have I seen that many before. Infact, i haven't seen a Queen before I don't think.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9211751

Nice Dale! That's a lot of Queens.

Russell

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9211767

Shelia, Illinois & Indiana are two of the states suffering from severe drought this year and our plants are drying out and dying. I have had to quit watering since we are on a well. I do have a few plants that don't require much water are are struggling but still offering something for the BF's. Had this Giant Swallowtail the other day. I would have missed it if one of my granddaughters hadn't seen it thru the window!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 19, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9211934

Hellooooo everyone, sorry I have been away so long. I am back to the garden putting in the blood sweat and tears and really starting to see the rewards.

I decided to try my hand at raising some young which is completely new to me, and I am a little overwhelmed. I have raised and released many bst, gst, and pst so far and have dozens of cats, I have been blessed this season. I will post pics when I can. If anyone has tips and or pics on I would be much obliged.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9212104

Greetings - love the images - especially that last one from Dale. HA! Wandering around the backyard - I'd be dumbstruck to see them settling in like that here.

I'm not seeing bigger leps but a lot of moths lately increasing and tons of pollinators which is still a lot of fun. I also garden for wildlife - my BF paid me the ultimate compliment last weekend and told me my garden looked like a powerline easement. :)

I also had to tear open a datura that had closed - there were 3 honeybees trapped in that flower buzzing.

Keep up the good work!

and for folks in water restrictions and drought - I am all sympathy - have you thought about using gray water for your plants?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9212829

Russell ...cool web "x marks the spot I guess".
Dale...Wonderful site, didn't realize they roosted communially! LOL! I don't have that many, but 4-6 a day is a lot for me. DH keeps saying I think there is a Monarch out there, then I have to go see the Queen. LOL!
Nanny...So sorry about the drought conditions there, we feel your flustration since that was us last year.
Viceroy...Good to know you are hooked on helping out the bfs!
Amanda...They were desprately trying to nectar to the last minute I guess. My poor Daturas looked like I had broken a stalk this afternoon, but then we had a rain storm move in and dropped 1/2 inch of cooling much needed rain. I am sure I will have some blooms tonight.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9212855

Was deadheading today including a giant dill which had gone to seed. I realized there might be bugs on the dill so I laid it down on in the bed with the the rest of the dill. Later today I found an almost full-grown BST cat on that dill plant. LOTS of skippers and moths today. I think we saw a yellow swallowtail on the wing too on its way out of the yard. I think we're ramping up. :)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9212858

Saw ONE cabbage white today. so sad.

speaking of drought, I found this graphic interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/07/20/us/drought-footprint.html?ref=earth
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 20, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9213020

I am doing my rain dance for all of you dealing with that nasty drought. Bugga wugga wugga hi de hi de hi de ho, roll in clouds and let it flow!!!

Ok please help, what do I do when a cat is pupating and drops down from his stick?
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9213054

Viceroy wrote:I am doing my rain dance for all of you dealing with that nasty drought. Bugga wugga wugga hi de hi de hi de ho, roll in clouds and let it flow!!!

Ok please help, what do I do when a cat is pupating and drops down from his stick?

What kind of cat?
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 21, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9213092

BCH521 wrote:

What kind of cat?

Boy you sure start early! Bst. Any advice much obliged.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9213143

Did the cat. transform completely into a chrysalis like this Viceroy? Mine I allow them to crawl up to the side of the cage/or mesh like pavillon to spin their silk. I rarely have seen them fall off. Should one falls. I'd wait until their transformation is done. Then I would use a piece of paper towel roll up into a scoop, then scoop the chrysalis up and place it onto a dill's inflorescent if available. This way when it ecloses it has something to cling on and dry its wings. My set- up allow them to hang on to the wall of the cage and dry their wings without any problem.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9213155

If you are saying it slipped out of the harness or it broke, then take a narrow strip of paper towel and make a pocket. Put it LOOSELY around it by gluing on either side to hold it at the correct position. If it is bent and lifeless, with the process not complete, it may have be parasitized. I would then put it in a separate cage to trap and kill the wasp or fly.
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 21, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9213218

Thanks you ladies for the info, it had just started to spin it's silk and I bumped the enclosure while cleaning and he dropped, so he is still pretty green.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9213349

Monarch on one of my coneflowers. There are several flying around today: hopefully they are leaving eggs!

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9213353

These two just eclosed this morning.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9213518

Wonderful pics. there Bruce. Love to see those Monarchs.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9213576

Gorgeous photos! I'm so impressed with all of you that are raising BF.

Sorry about the lack of activity Marna. I can definitely vouch for the drought. You're West of me and we've also been super hot and dry this year. Much, much worse than normal. Of course our water restrictions make it worse. We finally had a decent thunderstorm a few days ago and I think the rainbarrel is full, but that won't last long.

Hope everything works out with the cat, Viceroy.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9213591

Got myself a Yellow Tiger ST today. Others are various instars of my BSTs cats. in captivity after I refreshed their munchies.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9213598

Let's me try the pics. of the various instars again. The parsley was replacing the worn out dills for their diet.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9214148

Bruce...Looking good up there in the north. Hope we have a lot of Monarchs migrating in the fall.
Lily ...Congrats on the TST!! Glad to see the new instars too. You might clip the flower heads and place them on the fresh parsley leaves to make sure they know it is available.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9214391

GST flight photos. There were 2 of these beauties on the lantana today.

Hopefully I will see more this afternoon!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9214406

Thanks everyone, and it's always good looking at everyone's photos. here is a chrysallis and three monarchs from this morning.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9214576

Hey guys - we just saw a Long Tailed Skipper!

Really cool I 'm not sure I ever saw one of these. Didn't get a picture, but here's a link:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/wildflower/completebutterflydata.asp?id=46

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9215074

Wow Bruce! Amazing that you are having Monarch babies. I barely ever see monarchs no, let alone cats.

Congrats Amanda. I saw one of those in Mexico. Love the blue in them.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9216673

So, no picture :(, but last night when I was moving a hose, I had a yard and life first for a Horace's Duskywing. In a year with no butterflies, how interesting to get a new one.
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 24, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9217531

Ok everyone, next question: should I be misting chrysalis?
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9218547

Viceroy wrote:Ok everyone, next question: should I be misting chrysalis?

The only time I mist my BST's is when I overwinter them in the fridge.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9218641

Nan and Russell, please send some Giant STs. butterfly my way. I haven't seen them in person. Bruce may send me some Monarch if he likes, lol. I like Bruce when I keep my BSTs chrysalid indoor I barely mist them. Though, when I do, they do wiggle a great sign that they're alive and well. ~grin.

Thanks Marna for the drought graphic link. Boys I tell you it's rough nation-wide this year compared to most recent years. Thank you Sheila for the tips on clipping the old spent dills. I agreed, those little ones are slow to find the fresh food source, unlike other hogs-like caterpillars such as the Hawk Moth's cats. lol Amanda, I do get those Long Tail Skippers down here. Last year they were abundant, however, this year they're somewhat fewer.

Hah, don't know what have I got here. It's difficult to tell, if it's not a butterfly, I'll try again. Please bear with me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9218645

Nope, that wasn't one! BRB

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9218709

Ah, here is the mentioned skipper...finally.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9218900

It's neat how the skippers have their ranges. Here I get the Long Tailed along with the Dorantes, and only occasionally a Silver Spotted Skipper. But other places it's the complete opposite! Good thing we have the forum to share!

Right now my Monarch babies have eaten all of my plants and wandered off to pupate. I expect to see some flying around in the next week or so. It's been so hot I haven't wanted to go outside to check my host plants. It's every caterpillar for himself! But I'll get out there soon and see if anyone is in need of a rescue.

Melanie

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9219141

Hot it is Melanie...take care of yourself!
Those skippers are fast ones for sure.

Viceroy... I mist here if I have them caged where they don't get the normal rain. It is so hot I have had some just turn crispy and they tried to emerge when they didn't have enough moisture. Like Lily said, lightly.
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 26, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9219993

Sheila_FW wrote:Hot it is Melanie...take care of yourself!
Those skippers are fast ones for sure.

Viceroy... I mist here if I have them caged where they don't get the normal rain. It is so hot I have had some just turn crispy and they tried to emerge when they didn't have enough moisture. Like Lily said, lightly.

Ok perfect,thanks again for the help. My cat from last week that fell pupated properly, and if all goes well should eclose in another week or so. If all goes well I will be releasing 20 or so Gst and about 25 bst in approx 2-3 weeks so wish me luck. And thanks to everyone for the help.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9220456

Some of you probably subscribe to Garden Gate Magazine. The August issue had a neat BF article by Rick Mikula, author of "The Family Butterfly Book". Anyway, he listed a recipe he uses to attract and nourish Butterflies.

I just scanned the recipe and am trying to upload it here. Not sure if it's going to work so I'll cross my fingers.

He suggests either pouring it onto a sponge or paper towels in a saucer or sprinkling it over a dish of sand or soil. I haven't yet tried it, but it looks interesting plus he said it keeps for up to three months in the fridge.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9220469

I see that it uploaded, but isn't as clear as it could be. Also, some of the words look kind of funny and crooked. If any of you are interested in it, but can't read it very well, let me know and I'll try just taking a photo of it and uploading that. It might come out better than the scan did.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9221037

I haven't a picture yet, but my buddliea should be call a "skipper bush", instead of a butterfly bush. They are just the small brown ones. I do not know which kind they are. The butterflies have disappeared for now, though I see an occasional small blue flitting around at a fast pace. I can't seem to get it to pose.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9221066

Nutsabout...it came through fine. I may give that one a try around my pond where I have a lot of sandy soil. The ants may get it first though! LOL!
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 28, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9221802

did not completely zip me enclosure and had a few escapes.

Thumbnail by Viceroy   Thumbnail by Viceroy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9221838

Uh oh! Caterpillar escapees, LOL! Love the second picture; that's funny. It makes you wonder what they find attractive about the places they choose to pupate.

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9221982

Watch out for caterpillar escapees!!! LOL. These guys are plotting the same game plan. But they didn't succeed for I zipped mine up after I changed out their munchies today. Here they're exploring the fresh parsley and bronze fennel that I just put in the cage. V.R. Congrats, good luck with catching the future butterflies before they take flight! Which could be fun...

Earlier today, I found 3 Tersa Sphinx caterpillars on my Pentas. Late this evening, I found two more on the same Pentas container...seems like I am on a quest for a new pentas plant for the hungry piglets. lol. It's getting late here for me. Will post the Tersa Sphinx cats. pics. in the morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 28, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9222019

ok thanks to all the help this is what I got.

Thumbnail by Viceroy   Thumbnail by Viceroy

Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 28, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9222038

Here is what I have left for now.

Thumbnail by Viceroy

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9222046

Looking great Lily and Viceroy! I found one GST on my orange today and took it inside. Not much action here due to the extreme heat.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9222617

Oh my! V.R. are those GST instars on lemon leaves? The GSTs don't frequent this far down my way, I don't regcon? Please post some pics. as they get bigger and molt. I am learning that it isn't "nice" to pride those little BST instars off of their wandering places, for they were finding a peaceful place where they can molt in peace (as appose to being in the crowd among their siblings during chow times -- LOL). I observed one that is molting at the moment where I left it be when I cleaned out the cage earlier. It's so cool.

No pic. of the BSTs for now, but here are 2 pics. of the mentioned Tersa sphnix moth's late instars. If one looks closely, one will find two cats in brown color, and one in green. To me, I think they're just as currious looking and almost as curious-looking as are Spicebush caterpillars. Enjoy!

Ooops; I've lost track of the thumbnails, will return with the photos as I find them.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9222633

Okay, here are the Tersa sphinx cats. These big cats. must mostly be the final 5th instars. I noticed there is a smaller one perhaps 4th instar. Of which they are about to wander off and pupate within the soil below. I thought of bringing them indoor, but they seem to be in a place where predators aren't likely to find 'em. So I'm hoping that that would work out fine. Keeping my fingers crossed for these future pollinators.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9222668

I've got a Gray Hairstreak, or Strymon melinus in the garden yesterday.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9222715

Such beautiful photos, everybody!
Viceroy, love the escapees! Guess they had a better idea for where they wanted to be.

These pics didn't come out very good, but I was so excited to finally see a Monarch around here that I decided to post them, anyway.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 29, 2012

Post #9223050

Lily these guys will make it your way, any kind of citrus and they will find you. I have released several already so I'll send them north. These guys will pupate in a few days.
Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

July 29, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9223083

Nice to see your Monarch Nuts. Here are a few of mine from today.I am enjoying some fruit in the second pic.

Thumbnail by Viceroy   Thumbnail by Viceroy   Thumbnail by Viceroy

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9223100

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 10:49 PM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9223135

Nice picture of the viceroy...Viceroy! LOL! We don't get those this far up that I know of.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9224663

Sheila_FW wrote:Nice picture of the viceroy...Viceroy! LOL! We don't get those this far up that I know of.

LOL, I don't recall seeing any of those down here either. Unless I was unable to differentiate the two. GST is a rarity here for me V.R. For citrus are almost subtropical, and I only have one or two in containers, thus finding a GST straying out here must be a lifer for me.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9224680

Mimicry, a fun one. 5th instar of Tersa sphinx moth on Penta's flowers.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9224712

The future pollinator. This is the brown form T.S. instar after a big storm -- tough bird! Oh I meant caterpillar, lol. There is also a green one awaiting to pupate soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9224892

Got a lovely visitor on the Butterfly bush yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9224908

Temp. was really hot, I had an exudus of these Catalpa caterpillars ... I thought these poor things were ready to wander off to pupate? At the the end of the day. There were several of them hanging out on limbs of non-hostplants. So I decided to take 3 inside a butterfly cage to observe their molts...

They continue to wander, and had shown no signs of 'settling down'. So I figured they may be hungry. Sure enough, the regugees were. It took no time for one to find the catalpa leaves/branch I brought indoor. And now, the 3 are happily chowing down.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9225295

Two years ago on vacation the catalpa cats were out in force and I decided to grab one and see what happened with it. My grandma couldn't believe I wanted a catalpa "worm" and I had to tell her that it would turn into a moth. She couldn't believe those worms turned into anything; it was hilarious. By the way, they apparently make wonderful fish bait; I read where they used to farm them for just such a thing. But I would never do that to a caterpillar. : )

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9225424

They're really fast moving cats. Glad you've shared that joy with your grandma. I'm looking forward to share the joy with my grandchild when he visits next time. lol. Be assure, they aren't fishbaits around here. DH doesn't fish much in which I'm okay with that. lol

I just had two BSTs pupated, they both look somewhat smaller than the last brood. I wonder why? Anyhooo, the 3 Catalpa cats are active still. Two wander around, one still munching likes there is no tomorrow.

Outdoor, my brown Tersa sphinx cat. has wandered off, left the green one on the pentas this evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

July 31, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9225529

Don't get me started on Tersa Sphinx moths!! They've been a "problem" for me all year. Somehow a pair or more of them got inside my flight cage over winter when I moved some pentas inside and planted them. It was not intentional at all. Well, they reproduced so well that I've easily removed a couple of hundred of them over the last few months. Needless to say, my pentas look horrible in the flight cage! It got to the point that I removed most of the pentas and have pretty much gotten a handle on the problem now (I think!). I found these two in there a week or so ago, flaunting their reproductive destructive nature right in front of me! They were quickly removed and released outside. Tersa Sphinx in nature are not nearly so destructive. Oh, sure, they'll munch down a pentas or two, but predators keep them in check for the most part (and the plants recover). In my flight cage there were no predators. I'm just hoping that I've got them all out of there now.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9226373

Omigoodness. You all have been busy and all the critters are awesome - love the escapees. :)

I saw my first Monarch tonight. 2 weeks earlier than "normal" for the first appearance, but very glad!

Also noticed many BST on dill which may come in tomorrow. I'd seen a single cat a couple of weeks ago, but it disappeared overnight.

I didn't grow senna this year - well interestingly enough -seeds that did not sprout the first time sprouted about a month ago. The 3 small plants are chewed to bits. Don't suppose I'll get one to bloom this year either.

A.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9228369

The past two days a Buckeye, three Black Swallowtails, two Monarchs, and the usual Sulphers;. That is more than I have seen since April?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9228770

A TigerSwallowtail and an American lady?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9228827

Had 2 eastern swallowtail, a question mark trying to compete with flies for a dish of spoiled fruit, and 2 monarch today, in addition to crazy skippers AND we pulled in 7 BST cats from a fennel plant. There were gads of them on a nearby dill that were gone this morning when I went to look for them.

Let the rearing begin. :/

A.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9228840

Oh Joy!!! :-)
frostkay268
Linden, TX

August 3, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9228910

I had a Monarch arrive at my house in northeast Texas 3 days ago. Do you think they have begun their fall migration. I had them in the spring, but haven't seen any for about 2 months.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9230325

Just got back from Cozumel and found these large butterflies around the island. Maybe a Blue Morpho? Of course, my daughter was able to coax one to crawl on her finger. I never could get a good picture of the dorsal side, very bright blue in color. Still not much happening in my yard, though.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9230355

Yes I think that's it Russell - someone just sent me a photo with a blurb about this beauty. What a treat! :)
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9230749

Russell ~ Great picture of one of the prettiest butterflies!! How lucky!!
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

August 5, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9230764

Russell -- the first two pictures are Owl Butterflies (Caligo sp.); the third is a Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides, probably).

Dale Clark

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 6, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9231205

Thank you for the Id Dale. I guess I never saw the top of the Owl Butterflies, I thought they were all the same species. Ally was always finding some new critters to play with down there!

I wish we had those here...they are spectacular.

Russell
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

August 6, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9231298

Russell -- easy to get them confused. Owls have eyespots on the undersides just like Morphos. There's also blue on the upper sides of some owls as well, but not the intensity of the morphos.

Dale Clark

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9231631

I think I found the first monarch on a tropical MW. It's so small I couldn't possibly contain it if I brought it in now!

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9233135

I finally braved the weather despite my swearing I wasn't coming out of the house until late September. It's a good thing I did because I found two Giant ST eggs on my mother's Meyer Lemon tree. That thing has been there for years and this is the first time I've seen eggs on it. The rue was completely empty - go figure!

I also saw this guy hanging out on the milkweed. I spotted some eggs too, but this was the only Monarch caterpillar I saw.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9233136

Here's a skipper enjoying the Spanish Needles. I guess that means I need to weed the butterfly garden again (sigh).

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9233138

This Gulf Frit was laying eggs on the passion vine. My Dad was like, "Why is it upside down?" Because that's the way they do it. Crazy things.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9233141

And here's one of those crazy Gulf Frit caterpillars. Dad says they're not eating fast enough. The passion vine is going up the house, LOL!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9237135

I took this picture of this road warrior thinking he had reached the end, but then he took off again and started chasing one of the girls around. what amazing creatures!

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9237138

Red spotted purple, one of my favorites

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9237141

Haven't posted for awhile so I have some catching up to do; all the photos I took walking around our gardens over the last couple weeks. These are of a couple of silver spotted skippers

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9237142

Various TST's

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9237155

Our friend Viceroy came to visit w/ a great spangled fritillary

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9237160

My daughter just came back from a cat hunting expedition. We're starting to stock up because DW and I are going to do a tagging workshop early next month, and we hope to have many to tag.

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9237161

common buckeye

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9237163

and last, but not least the monarch

Thumbnail by BCH521

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9237190

Loving the Monarch population going up in OH. Great pictures everyone.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9237621

Great photos all!

Russell
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

August 11, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9237978

A little Olive Hairstreak (Callophrys gryneus) that I found down in the Texas Hill Country about a month ago.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9237999

Thanks, Dale! Nice!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9238024

Really great series of pictures. Especially the upside down Frit (Mel) and the green hairstreak!

Been raining here all week. Rreminds me a bit of last spring, though we have 7 BST chrysalis and there's a monarch or 2 cats out there on the tropical MW that have been too small really for me to grab. Hope they're hanging on in the wet weather.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9238196

No rain here...still in the 90's...GRRR...

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9239017

Dallas is going to aerial spray for mesquitos...I know you must be concerned Dale.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9240478

Dad was outside working today and snapped a few photos. Here's one of Gulf Frits making babies.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9240480

Then, he saw some caterpillars on my pipevine and DIDN'T TELL ME!! I'll go gather them up tomorrow. They're Polydamas Swallowtails by the way.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9240520

I've got 19 monarch cats.

I'm out of practice! Bought something called a Butterfly Habitat on clearance - a friend loaned one to me last season and I thought it was easier to deal with the smaller space. Now I have 3.

Cost a little more than a giant hamper at the dollar store (HA!) but for the convenience it may be worth it. Hope so!

http://www.backyardsafari.com/get-gear/butterfly-habitat/
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9240583

Great pic, mellielong! I am so very new at growing for butterflies, but I'm having wonderful success with a recently acquired P. incarnata. I'm thrilled with all the little cats!

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9240590

And then I found this little one today! Enjoying the Hummer feeder!

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9240596

It's very nice to meet you all! I've so enjoyed reading your posts, and realize that there is SO much to learn! Happy Gardening All! :-)

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9240626

Welcome Tim! Don't be a stranger and feel free to ask all the questions you like. We have a bunch of great people on this forum who can answer just about anything (or find out from somewhere else). I like your pics, too!

Melanie
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

August 14, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9240906

Sheila_FW wrote:Dallas is going to aerial spray for mesquitos...I know you must be concerned Dale.

Yeah, Sheila, it's pretty much beyond stupid. About ten years ago I talked to the head of Dallas County Health and Human Services (after talking my way up the chain of command). I kept pointing out how completely ineffective spraying was against mosquitoes, the harmful side effects on non-target animals, the killing of natural mosquito predators, etc. After badgering her with facts she finally lowered her voice and admitted to me that it was pretty much useless but they had to do it to pacify the general public and that her hands were tied. Ugh! Yes, West Nile is a bad thing if you're unfortunate enough to get really sick with it (most don't), but in every case I've heard, the people did not use any precautions (spray, etc.) which is why they were bitten in the first place. Personal responsibility is the best defense. Thankfully, I'm south of Dallas by 20 miles and in another city who (so far) have no interest in spraying.

Dale Clark
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

August 14, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9240913

And now, a positive post! Here's a White Peacock (Anartia jatrophae) caterpillar and adult butterfly. I caught a female White Peacock about a month ago down in the Texas Hill Country and have been raising a bunch of these guys. A really cool caterpillar and a beautiful butterfly.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer   Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9241214

My feeling on the spraying also. I think the money would be better spent providing the products needed for personal protection to those who can't afford it and education.

That is a georgeous butterfly Dale!! The cat reminds me of the Pipevine in coloration only. Are they in our area at all?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9241437

Boo on spraying. Yay on White Pecock and new cats.

I'm seeing a number of skippers now in my garden. What there is of it! LOL.

Fiery, Sachem, 3 and 4 are different species but I haven't figured out which yet. I though perhaps #3 was a little glassywing… just don't know. #4

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9241438

Dale, what are you raising the White Peacocks on? I've used bacopa before but I know they'll use frogfruit as well.

I went outside to collect caterpillars today. I found an egg on my rue and a small cat that looked like a Black ST. Unfortunately, I lost the cat whem I went to pick pipevine. I stood and stared at the ground for a long time but couldn't find where I dropped him. : ( I did pick the Polydamas off the pipevine and brought them in. I also have five Monarchs but I'm leaving them on the milkweed since they seem to be doing fine and I'm a little inundated with the other cats. My Giant STs are getting bigger and munching away!

Here's the Polydamas in their new home.

Thumbnail by mellielong

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9242915

Nice pics!

Ms. Ed I love skippers. :)

Mel - eek! Polydamas. Am I out of their range? I'll have to look into distribution.

Brought in 5 more monarch cats tonight. That's 25 more than I had last year at this time!

The year before we had crazy numbers, but more towards September. I'm already crazy with them and I'm back to work. I text my BF during the day to check on the bugs when he comes home to let the dogs out. Glad I didn't plant senna this year. The sulfurs would have put me over the top. :D
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9246322

It's been a real bad season for Monarch's here in Michigan. Both my daughters collect cats and have the whole butterfly house setup to raise them to butterflies. Well out of about 30 cats this year, only 2 have made it to adulthood. Must be diseased. When they start to go into the chrysalis stage, the chrysalis will not form completely. You have half chrysalis and half cat and they just eventually die. Such a shame and really heartbreaking.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9246330

Nice pix on the White Peacock Dale, nice collection Mrs. Ed. and Melanie those Polies are promising, hope to see them in their beautiful attires soon. hemlady, sorry to hear the Monarch didn't do so well there. By far, I've not seen one in the garden. I've seen two orangist butterflies enroute home within a 50 miles traveling. I think those maybe migrating Monarch, but uncertain. At the mean time, I'm keeping my eyes peeled out for any sign of them in the garden. Most of my Milkweeds are setting out seeds, or nearly so.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9246950

I had a Monarch outside on the milkweed and he decided to crawl up the lanai screen and make his chrysalis. I was leaving it alone until today when I saw a bird pecking at the silk! Dad banged on the window and scared it off and then I went outside to bring the chrysalis in. The chrysalis is turning dark so I expect a butterfly within a day or two.

Saw a White Peacock outside today - haven't seen one in a while. Meanwhile, the Poly cats are still munching away and the Giant STs have molted again. Can't wait to see them all in their butterfly form!

Melanie

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9246960

Had this Monarch the other day!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9247390

Well it took me awhile to go through all the wonderful photos you've been posting. You sure have been busy.

Dale that Olive Hairstreak is really pretty.

BCH521, what a great collection of butterfly photos...so beautiful.

Viceroy had to laugh about the escapees.

Mrs. Ed, lily, yak, mel, nanny, tim, nuts, amanda, dale, shelia, BCH, and Viceroy...hope I didn't leave anyone out, but I just love the time you all take in posting your photos. I really do enjoy watching your butterfly raising.

Some visitors in my garden that I managed to capture with the camera.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9247432

Beautiful collection of the butterflies Sherri!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9247935

This thread is getting way too long so let's continue over here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276374/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America