Photo by Melody

Roses: mashed up dead japanese beetles to repel japanese beetles?!

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 5, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dwendt
Byron Center, MI

June 18, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9170048

A master gardener just told me that an effective way to control japanese beetles is to collect (a significant number), drown them and then mash them up. The next step is to add waterto the pureed beetles and spray. It is said that newcoming beetles can smell trouble. LOL and stay clear.

Has anyone heard of this? Also since it would take a significant quantity of beetles (30-40), is there a place that sells them?
I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 18, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9170525

It would certainly repel me! I have not heard of this technique, but it sounds logical.
Mary1NYS
Sherrill, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9170876

It wouldn't take that long to get 30-40 of them here! Ugh..just saw my first and it was early! A few yers ago I did leave a bucket of dead ones next to a rose and it did seem to repel them. It did repel me too though as it didnt smell pretty!
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9632264

I remember long ago blending up some sort of bug for repellant, but it wasn't Japanese beetles. They're so crunchy, it would take a long time to strain the juice. And it just feels yucky. But something's got to give. My yellow roses are eaten up in August as soon as they open. I do use Bayer Rose and Flower, but if it kills them, it doesn't do it fast enough.

Any other thoughts on Japanese beetles?
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 16, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9632332

[quote="LAS14"] I do use Bayer Rose and Flower, but if it kills them, it doesn't do it fast enough.
[/quote]

Well, maybe this time it's working. My pink bonica has lots of flowers that look fine except for the trademark JB holes on the outside petals. No bugs, though. And there were only two on my yellow Sky's the Limit. My Golden Wings doesn't seem protected, but it's pretty big. Maybe I should have added another capful of Bayer.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2013
5:38 PM

Post #9639502

I have read that if you want to minimize the number of beetles that you have you should do two things: clip off any nibbled foliage and remove the dead bodies. Apparently both things attract them.

I can't really judge this year. I used spinosad on some of my plants because I was trying to find a viable alternative to the Bayer (which is a great product) , but we also had a drought last year, which means that a lot of the little buggers died as grubs. Only once did I see the dreaded (pardon me) japanese beetle gang bang where a bunch of them are disgustingly doing their thing.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America