Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: DJ'S JULY 2012 RED WHITE & BLUE PLANT SWAP

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 211, Views: 1,185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9170309

we came from here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257659/

WITH A TWIST HERE IS WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO FOR JULY'S PLANT SWAP

AS YOU ALL KNOW IT GETS VERY VERY HOT REALLY TO GET INTO THE GARDEN FOR ANY LONG PERIOD OF TIME
SO LETS DO A SIMPLE BUT PATRIOTIC BOX BUT THIS TIME YOU ALL WILL NOT KNOW WHO YOUR PARTNER IS UNLESS YOUR MAKING OTHER SWAP ARRANGEMENTS ALSO . BUT I WON'T POST THEM ON HERE .

RED WHITE BLUE PLANTS ONE OF EACH ---MINIMUM , MAYBE WITH A PATRIOTIC NAME ???

IF YOU WANT TO SEND MORE PLANTS THAT IS YOUR CHOICE BUT
IS NOT REQUESTED .

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEND A SPECIAL LITTLE RED WHITE BLUE TRINKETS THAT IS OK.IF YOUR CRAFTY & CAN MAKE THINGS RED WHITE BLUE THAT WOULD BE WAY COOL .

JUST GET CREATIVE :))))) I'M HOPING JULY WILL BE A BETTER MONTH FOR ME AROUND HERE :) TO KEEP BETTER TRACK . OF YOU ALL HEHE

SO COME ON HAVE A FUN TIME,
YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR BOX :)
HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US .

THINK RED WHITE & BLUE THE AMERICAN WAY :)))))) & REMEMBER THIS WILL BE A SECRET SWAP .

PASS SWAPS

SPRING 2012 PLANT SWAP " WISH LIST"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243397/

APRIL SWAP : CLOSED
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/

MAY SWAP:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255653/#new

JULY PLANT SWAP OPEN FOR SIGN UP HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265705/

This message was edited Jun 23, 2012 6:34 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9170312

PLAYERS

WWKATHY----DEEJAY9
FRAUSNOW
CHEERMOM/SUEG
FOTV/SUSAN

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 8:58 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9170340

MEEE!!! I can do 1+ the swap I have with you susie.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9170404

OK, put me on the list for 1 swap.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9170601

WELCOME FRAUSNOW / DO YOU HAVE A GIVEN DANE OR NICK NAME WE ADDRESSES YOU BY ??? MINE IS SUSIE

Kathy , that will be great love your dianthus I Have those also or are they the zing you sent me last :) ?? forgive the memory i have none .
coffees ready back later going to take daddy out on the deck for awhile .

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9170710

Count me in for July!

CheerMom
(Sue G)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9170736

Did you make that cute Patriotic girl, Susie?

frausnow, glad to met you. My name is Susan, but a lot of people call me by my nickname, Fruity. You'll enjoy participating in the monthly plant swaps and others too. Gotta warn you, they can be addicting but are so much fun! They're a great way to make friends and enhance your gardens. What are your growing conditions? Do you have sun, part sun, shade?

Well, I said July would be too hot to mail plants, but will sign up for one box and mail when it's coolish for me and my Secret Pal. Right now I don't have any other public plant trades going on. Are we shooting for a certain mail out date?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9170779

EVENING FRUITY No found found a great sale a few days ago :) & See Just Happened to Jump right into my Basket :))) & said take me home with you :)))) .

Yes july is a very hot time around here also this is why I Just said 3 nice plants would be good . less time to dig :))) .
well off to get some sleep so that I can get up early.
gn all.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9170949

Okay, okay, I give. Sign me up...(shaking my head)
But the flower marts have 50% off right now and I will be going for work this week anyway so I can pick up for a trade and myself at the same time :) Right? LOL!

Frausnow, I am Stephanie. Welcome aboard.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9171134

I'm just going to lurk in July. Hope you don't mind - Good morning everyone! Going to be pushing 90 here today so I thought I'd get up and out and water early.

A.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9171231

Nothing but 90's for the foreseeable future. I am going to hold off another month or so. Have fun!
Alana
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9171328

Ive heard 96, Ive heard 88 - had a big storm roll through this morning, we lost a 40' poplar tree out front at 4 am. DH had to drag it out of the way in order to get out of the driveway and make it passable. So who knows with the temp. 70% humidity though - that hasnt changed.
Ugh - another project tonight...good thing we have 2 fire pits and 2 fire places...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9171405

AMANDA & ALANA Good to have you LURKING Anyway:) If ya change your mind I Have room on my SCRATCH PAD FOR YA :))
Ya all have til JULY 1st to decide & MAIL OUT IS JULY 28th & It Is Just 3 NICE LITTLE OLE plants An early Morning dig Or a Late evening Dig :) Or do like MINNE & Check out a couple sales :))))

Very Hot out there this morning already so going to stay in the rest of the day daddy is napping No sleep last night for him i dosed in the chair
so now margaret is in with him . so i can relax have to go into town sometime today .

Minn guess Mother natures Provides in many ways :))) now you won;t have to go far to cut your wood :)

washing IRISES Today so ya all have a great day back later
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9171757

@ Susie - FrauSnow or JoAnn is fine.
@ Fruity - I have a small bit of shade in front of the house and a small shade garden at the back of the yard, but mostly I have lots and lots of sun. Soil condition...dry red clay! I have to amend the soil wherever I plan to plant something. We have almost 2 acres of flat yard that I have been trying to plant with trees and shrubs. You can check out what already have on my tradelist. The only plants that were here when we moved in 5 years ago was the Red Maple tree, Balloon Flowers, Gardenia, White Dogwood, Bradford Pears, Holly bushes, and 2 Crepe Myrtles. Everything else on the list is what we have added to the mix. I'm looking forward to adding a few more through this swap. :-)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9171759

I dont miss that soil JoAnn. I lived in MS for 3 years. I love my "gold" here in MN.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9171843

HI all! I won't participate but I would like ot lurk if it's okay??? We are not gettting any rain. I just dont know how much watering I will be able to do to help new plants adjust. I just got my first water bill...ugh!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9172138

I will send everyone water :) I can color it red and blue with food coloring too ;)

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9172161

HI Everyone!
I'm in this month...hot here this week...we might break 100 -- a record as far as I know...I've never seen it 100 in NH in June before! YIKES!
Nice to meet you JoAnn...I'm Candi or Ali for short!
Susie - so you assign us a partner...how do we get their address if we don't Dmail them? Inquiring minds want to know...! Or at least my tired mind needs to know cuz I can't figure it out!
This swap will give me a reason to look for specific colored flowers now when I'm out hunting bargains!

Happy Resting tonight everyone!
zzzzzzz for me!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9172336

I'm in Susie. Sounds fun.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9172418

Love these swaps! After joining in Feb and doing a swap a month since march I've added so many plants to my gardens, and somewhere out there many of my plants are thriving all ove the country. But with July being so hot and DH's uncertain job situation I'm going to be a lurked this month. Frausnow, you will love this! And in the winter I look forward to lots of seed swapping. Great group, I love my minutes with my iPad reading al your comments.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9172501

GM All Been Out Working on my RED

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9172702

I have the prettiest blue blooming this morning. Salvia patens 'Blue Angel' from a DG friend last year. :)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/113774/

She's not ready for divvying up anyway, but I WOULD be able to play if I weren't lurking.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9172793

Sure is pretty Amanda

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9172799

are u kidding me ????? WORKING ON MY RED WHERE THE HECK DID THE OTHER 3-4 sentence GO DUH!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess the heat got to me . off to fix lunch :)

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 20, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9173566

I was wondering about that sentence Susie...working on red...thought maybe you were planting a patch of just red flowers...I am so NOT that organized! I do have a garden with lots of yellow in it and it's annoying me that it's so yellow! The spring flowers are pink and purple...but now all yellow...loosestrife & coreopsis and some black eyed susans are popping up!

It was so HOT here today...98 or more! Today was our big promotion ceremony at school...so mix 400 parents into a gym with 100 students...and add some 98 degree heat...mix...I think I lost 10 pounds!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9173904

yes guess i spaced out NO Red Roll of Plants :) got to go play in the dirt while it is cool.
have a great day

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9175011

Yup will have to buy a red plant for my partner... that seems to be one color I''m short on, lol...SHOPPING< yeah!!!!

Whoever gets my name...please send a blue-red, thanks. (If possible)

Welcome frausnow (does that translate into Ladysnow?), lol, welcome to the group, we maybe slowing down a bit now but wait til later!!!!!! You'll have to fill out your want and have list in the Group trades list. That way we can get a few ideas of what you might like to get... or not.

minni...yes..here here on that extra rain. Please!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9175094

OOOOOH Kathy...nice red/white/blue...I only have blue flowers...does deep pink count as RED? I'll be purchasing a few colors!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9175124

oooh yes so very pretty Kathy i just got home from Bingo HOT Night for my friend & I :)))) We Both Won BIG Time :)
What is the Tall Green plant. Kathy ?

Well i have to go sit with daddy for the next 4 hr then Jim will take over so good night all back in the morning
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9175512

Is that the helicopter plant? Beautiful arrangement Kathy!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9175732

Isn't it stunning! Kathy shared a start of her plant with me in May. It's a Cyperus: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2532/

LOL Candi. Pink reminds me of Spring. Red reminds me of HOT Summer. Can't stand to be outside more than a few minutes now or I'm reduced to a wet noodle. Is Purple the new Blue?

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9175818

that is so very pretty it must be a House plant 4 us :) right kathy ???
fruity is that one of your roses . ?
was up till 5am so off to rest a bit , We may have a NEW Comer Joining us soon another Michigander:)
WELCOME ALICIA JUST FEEL FREE TO TELL THE GROUP ABOUT THE TYPE OF PLANTS YOUR LOOKING FOR GREAT GALS HERE CAN KEEP YOU INFORMED TILL I GET BACK ON .
BACK LATER
ahoogstra /Alicia
Cutlerville, MI

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9175849

Ya thanks friuty, lol, I just ran outside to get the tag and then scrolled down to see you answered the question, egads>
That plant is suppose to be hardy, so this fall I will dig and put in the ground til next year and then recontainer it with some annuals. That planter is one of two that I got for my daughter that weekend I helped out at that greenhouse. It's a stunner... And just to let ya all know, many purples are considered BLUE in the plant world...anyway we can fudge on the pink and purple, can't we? LOL.

pix Knautia masedonica
pix Peony Duchess de Nemours
pix Campanula persicifolia

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9175850

Not a helicopter but an 'umbrella' plant. LoL Very pretty
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9175858

Fruit, love that arrngement with the umbrella, ee and ipomea, very creative.

Kathy, gorgeous peony! Love it!

I have a question: I have never owned any poppy plants. I have planted seeds two years. Each year, I end up with tiny little plants, maybe 6 inches tall with tiny blooms. Aren't poppies usually 3 - 4 ft tall? I have tried the Oriental poppy and the peony poppy both have lt me down. Anyone ever have that problem?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 22, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9175928

Anita - mine never even sprout - I walked down by where we lost the tree the other day and low and behold - one single, solitary poppy - standing so very tall and proud smiling its red face up at the sun.
Camera battery was dead - I will take a pic tonight.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9176010

SOMETIMES IT TAKES A YEAR OR SO FOR THEM TO REALLY GET STARTED LIKE SOME OTHER PLANTS .
well off to Meet with the GALS We are going to a SPECIAL BINGO Tonight seems good to get out with them got 2 hour rest today :) so back in the morning . all

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9176616

DEEJAY - hope you win at bingo!

Poppies -- I have orange oriental poppies and sometimes they seem to do well and some years I only get one or two blooms! AND some years a few just DIE...no reason I can see...they seem temperamental to me! I usually cut off the pods so the plant can concentrate on getting bigger rather than seed making...it hasn't made a difference! So this year...I'm letting them all seed...we'll see if I get any babies!

Purple is the new Blue...yahoo! Red...hmmmm...I've got nothing true red...(I'll have to check the bee balm...) but now that I see that beautiful RED ROSE...I'm realizing I am lacking in the red flower plant dept! Gotta go shopping! I've got plenty of yellow -- can yellow be the new white? heehee

Goodnight!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9176887

GM all Fun at Bingo No HUGE win but then I Won My money back as did my friend :) So we have enough to go Next week :)

ALI : I Will Have PINK RED & LAVENDER Poppies I Call them My POM POM Poppies will share with ya if you like .
since we share another special interest :)

well i'm going to go into town I need to pick up a few items so i can get back here & Get into the gardens Much cooler this weekend :)

back later
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 23, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9176897

I played bingo last night at the carnival. Won my first game right when we st down and one more. $5.00 total. Had a good time.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9176930

Morning all,

May I say to my swap partner, items are coming..

First I will apologize, the main gift (homemade) was not done..it was sketched and will arrive for you to use it once July 4th has passed, know your love for you country and know it will be out year round.

You know with me having the Sistah's Gathering here in Canada, friends arriving Wednesday, that there was lots to do in the gardens and add being I'll into it, well let's say I know you will understand! But a late gift will be coming..that does not mean there is no 4th of July pressies for you..

As I haven't been stateside for the past several months I was not able to find RWB items so shopping I went via Internet.. Items being sent and hopefully to you early week will compensate until you real gift arrives...that being said, the store sent me an e-mail that some of the items have been shipped and other were to have been sent out shortly after..let's hope they are! The store I shopped from is very reputable so we'll see...not so sure even though I said it was a gift that my name will be on the package, SIL Suzanne did the ordering for me..sooo if you get a gift from a strange name know it came from me. Lol

Now I have not received my 2012 box but will run to post office right now to see if it is in..

Must tell you though, as I walked through all the gardens I saw many items from various swaps and was overwhelmed..I'll have to ake photo's to show you as I reminisce .

Then came the ohhh's and the ahhh's..got to tell you Jaye, if you are not here with us this week for the gathering in person, you sure will be in spirit and your RWB decorating items will be set out..found my box..got to tell you, those coming will think they are home in the good old USA...thank you, thank you!!

Can you see Jaye I'm on a high

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9176948

Ok, suspense is on..went to post office, live in little town so only minutes away..parcel card is there BUT it opens at 9am..will give it a few more minutes and back I go. Lol

Who can it be from

Usually as you know I've got who got who and through process of elimination know the few I may have received from but boo hoo did not keep track the swap..will know shortly now won't it.

Someone played a trick on me, thought for sure the RWB swap box might have been forwarded to one of the Sistah's coming this week and it would be hand delivered. Lol

Back to post office I go

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9176984

LOVE TO KNOW BETTY But I Think you just posted on the wrong RED WHITE & BLUE :)))) Ours start In JULY :) HEHE

Minnie it is About the only Excitement around here for a night out :) we have just small Bingo Halls , but they are friendly :) Most time anyway :)
well I want to share What I Found in town this morning but cannot do for i don't want My partner to see it :)))
Got to REV Up The Tractor back later.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9177001

Ahhh shucks, wrong thread..now how on earth did I do that...

Bowing out gracefully..at least you all now know how excited I get with the RWB

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9177135

PLEASE Come show us your PRETTYS WE DON"T MIND :)))) Love to see them
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 23, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9177710

Susie - this was the Lions Club doing bingo at the city's Summerfest Carnival. Was funny that I won on my first card - had my mouth full of a gyro when I yelled bingo :) lol. Then almost missed out on the 2nd one but found I had missed a number when they were calling back from another winner - low & behold - BINGO!

Was out looking for RWB plants today. Didnt find what I wanted to trade but ended up with rhubarb, another clem, another spiderwort, hens & chicks, 2 bush roses, oh, I know there was more but I for - oh - lantana, and lupine. 2 bags of dirt and a bench to sit on to work in the garden. Flip it & you can kneel.

Went with DH & DS to "you-pick" and picked 17# of strawberries! Made strawberry jam, mixed berry jam, rhubarb strawberry pie-lettes...still 8# left. will make strawberry banana bread tomorrow and a few other things to send to my BIL in Afghanistan in a care package. Planning on making more salsa tomorrow as well. Last years went so fast, I need to plan on making twice as much this year I think.

Still keeping my eyes open for something for my trade (if I dont dig from the yard)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9177755

OH YA SALSA :))) Christmas box will be a good time to share :) they sure sound yummy :)))
well time to get a nap before i have to go sit with daddy back in the morning .
GN All

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9178190

DEEJAY -- I'd love some different color poppy seeds! I have tried to grow icelandic (?) poppies - yellow -- they do great the first year...always die and never come back after a year or two! :)

I meant to go to the farm and buy some red/white/blue flowers ...however, I found out that the master sand sculptor contest was happening at the beach so we went there! Below are some photos!

liz -- the yellow rose...almost ready for a clipping!

Glad to hear ya'll won some money at bingo -- even if it is break even! There's nothing in Greenfield, NH but garden and enjoy the quiet...and have campfires when the weather permits! (It's usually cool here at night!) We do have a mini store and a tiny diner... :)

I'm off to weed...plant...weed...and then go to the farm for plants! I won't get side tracked today! :) FYI -- JUNE trade buddies...just letting ya know...I've got ladies' mantle blooming, catch fly blooming, powwow white has buds, beardtongue has blooms, and the day lilies are shooting up green leaves like crazy...all the others are doing great too! I just can't keep all the names in my head for long! XO -- love the trades!

Candi

Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

June 24, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9178361

Hi Everyone! I would LOVE to join! I am reading up on all the rules:)

Thank you!
Ahoogstra

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9178850

Hi ALI-C Looks as we have two ALI's SO NOW It will be ALI-K & ALI-C :)))

NICE DAY OUT AT THE BEACH LOOKS LIKE ALI-K GOOD CHOOSE .
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9180327

Ali, love the sand sculptors. How creative!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9180923

going to be away all day tomorrow going NORTH For the day will check in when i get home but it might be late
if you have Question someone will answer you till i get back :)))

ya all have a great day
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 25, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9180946

Have fun Susie

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9181372

Good Morning!
Rain yesterday but not enough to make a difference! We have storms moving through all week until Friday so maybe one of them will land on my yard! Wish the rain could go to CO and put the fires out!

Welcome ahoogstra! It's a really fun group to hang out with!

Aren't the sand castles amazing...I can't believe anyone can do that! I'd have loved to have been there when they were working on them...that would have been very interesting! I got to visit a museum where they had michealangelo's work on display - he had tons of unfinished sculptures...and to just see how he started to create a "thing" out of a hunk of rock was amazing...I just have no talent for that! Maybe next year I can get to the sculpting!

Today I have to work but then it's three days of vacation for me! YAHOO! Maybe I'll have time to work on my RWB gift and think of the plants to go with it! :) I'm off to get ready -- everyone have a GREAT day!

Ali-k

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

June 26, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9181461

Soooooo excited to swap! I am open to any plants:) I will try and update my Haves & Wants sometime soon. Speaking of weather... supposed to reach around 100 this week, and that's without the humidity:( I will still be outside! (Just admiring some new daylilys:) Hope everyone has a GREAT day! Alicia
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9181475

Ugh, I shudder to think of all the hot weather. Of course, I still have a couple of babies to plant. I have no idea how I'm going to water during this 100 degree weather.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9182577

Evening all Just got home ,Long drive very tired over 600 miles in a day :)))) jim told me get to bed :) & I'm headed that way 6am comes early so will chat more tomorrow . :)

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9182646

UGH DJ9! 600 miles is a very long day...hope you're snoozing by now!

It is so much fun to trade! Ahoogstra - DJ9 has a want/have list thread where we update items...it's different from your actual trade list...just an FYI :)

I took out tons of plants from the school garden they are going to demolish for the new driveway...so a-planting I will be doing...no matter what weather but NH is not as hot as the rest of you!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9182784

ahoogstra / Alicia --Welcome to the monthly plant swaps! You'll have a lot of fun with us crazy gals, not to mention the wonderful plants you'll receive. Susie, I'm going to brag on you a bit, and know you took a chance on me three years ago when I didn't even have a seed! You adopted me and so many others since them. This is just the best place to be!

Love those amazing sand sculptures and your day at the beach, Candi. I'm a beach nut and haven't been able to wiggle my toes in the sand for two years. We're looking for an RV Park at the Outer Banks of NC that takes yearly leases so we can leave our camper there full time.

The heat wave is on! I'm like you Diamond Girl. How I love my hanging baskets (that I lined with black plastic and used H2O crystals), but am still having to water them at least every morning, and a lot more. The weeding and watering here seems to be a never-ending job. I hate whatever kind of grass we have than runs and is nearly impossibly to rip up!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9183013

TY Fruity but believe it or not I Once was a NEWBIE Although to look at my MISHMASH GARDENS :) you would not look at me as a one time newbie :) thanks to all the great gardeners who has Joined the swaps over the years .

I stopped in to see a gal who come to my plant swap in the park She did a few stones for me :) love her gardens & ya know how when you see plats in the books but not sure you will like it in your gardens :) well i Now have a new love

Acanthus mollis (Bear's breeches) the plant data said hardy to z7 but she has grown it 2 yrs now . so i want it :) New on my list :)))
very well rested now off to get plants in the ground before the heat wave his .

WE HAVE JUST 4 MORE DAYS SO ANYONE WATCHING OR LURKING LET US KNOW IF YOU WANT TO JOIN US :)

KATHY SURE HOPE THE FIRES ARE NOT CLOSE TO YOU GIVE US UP-DATE IF YOU CAN.
BACK LATER .

ALICIA; here is where you can let us kow what you are looking for .
SPRING 2012 PLANT SWAP " WISH LIST"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243397/

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9183369

Fires still aways off, 10, 50 and 60 miles (those are the closest ones to me). Yesterday, the smoke filled my whole valley couln't see more than 1/4-1/2 mile, later I found out the fire had hit the west side of Colo. Springs engulfing many homes, still no count as of this morning. Last I had heard the fire south 10 miles was 90% contained making me feel a bit safer. The fire 50 miles away, blowing in the other direction in a few hours grew to 9 miles X 16 miles.

I'm safe at the moment but on alert, I registered for reverse 911 the other day. Staying inside out of the heat, 5 days of 100*+ heat, set a new record. Hoping our drought ends soon, garden looking a bit sad at the moment.

Welcome Alicia...Yes we do have fun here, truely!!

pix is from 2 days ago from my mailbox looking south to the Springs fire.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 27, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9183512

Prayers for all of CO - safety and rain (without lightening)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9183804

I have tried to load pictures three times. I'll try this again.

I feel badly for the people in CO. I cannot imagine that nightmare. My prayers for everyone affected.

Susan and Susie have both contributed greatly to my gardens. I acquired quite a few daylilies in the Daylilie swap a couple of years ago. I have fallen in love with daylilies all over again.

Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9183822

A couple more

Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9184312

Diamond -- wow! Nice colors and a beautiful garden! I have acquired some great day lilies from Fruity in last month's swap -- I can not wait to see the colors...yours are so beautiful!

Got three clumps of plants in the ground yesterday but had to head to VT to help my grammy with her gardens...so her place is looking nice! Raspberry patches are coming along at her house...told her my sad story about all the tops being trimmed by the deer at my house...doesn't look like I will have raspberries any time soon!

Kathy -- thank goodness the fire closest is almost contained! Ditto on the prayers! All those people and all those firefighters...to say nothing of the land, houses, animals...

Fruity -- let me know when you get that spot on the outer banks...never been to those beaches yet! I am a beach nut...try to get there every week in the summer with a group of teacher friends...they are off -- not me - but I take a vacation day to join them! My retirement plan (OH SO FAR AWAY) is to visit a different beach every year during the coldest months (Jan/Feb/March)! One can dream right???? So many beaches...so little time! Below -- happy feet at the beach!

Thumbnail by AliKat32

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9184395

Alikat, I love your retirement plan. LoL May I adopt your plan?

What's the news on the fires today? Under control, yet? I had not even thought about the poor animals. Ugh, we have a burn ban in effect now. We also have an ordinance that prohibits firecrackers before June 29 - July 10 or something like that. Last night neighbors called the fire department on a woman who was burning trash or something huge in her backyard. She had 4 ft flames. She said she didn't know we had a burn ban. Can you imagine anyone not knowing that with the lack of rain for over a month and the excessive heat, that if you burn something the embers can travel and start a fire in your neighbors yard? Or that she hasn't watched the news or read the paper in the past 3 weeks and didn't know about the fire all over the country? I cannot imagine what's going to happen when the fireworks start.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

June 28, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9184477

Good Morning Everyone!
diamond I didn't realize you are so close! I am maybe 1.5 or 2 hrs away from you:) I can't believe your neighbor is seriously that ...well...DUH! My water bill is going to be CRAZY high this month but let's face it I can't let any of my "babies" suffer:)
I am praying for EVERYONE in the Fire Zones!

Try and stay cool today!
Ali-C

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9184521

GM ALL

kathy : i have our side trade about ready to send out but i'm not sure of your weather & maybe should wait a bit longer for you .
they are going to be fine to wait for the ones in blooms are still in the ground waiting to be dug up yet last min :) would you like for me to wait another week :) ?

AS For our partners for july i will send you your names on MONDAY JULY 1st if your making a side trade with anyone here please let me know so i don't set you up unless your just doing one trade . JLMK.

well off to do some painting ya all have a great day .
susie

ETCHED EYES
SC FACY DANCER
EDITH SLIGER
MAGIC DAWN
MYSTICAL RAINBOW
ETCHED EYES
MYSTICAL RAINBOW
TOYLAND
TOMATO SURPRISE
MAGIC DAWN

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9184543

ANYONE WANTING DAYLILIES I HAVE ABOUT 20 CLUMPS TO FIND HOMES FOR SOME HAVE NAMES OTHERS HAVE BUT LOST TAGS , DMAIL ME IF YOU MIGHT BE INTERRESTED I ANY

TOYLAND
TOMATO SURPRISE
CABBAGE FLOWER
FLYING SAUCER
NOT SURE OF THE NAME BUT IT IS PINKISH COLOR NOT WHITE

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9184547

Wow, Susie, how do you get so many blooms at one time? I love that Fancy Dancer, very pretty
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9184554

AliC, we are not far at all from one another and even closer to Susie. We may have to have our own round-up! Round up our plants and meet half way for to swap, eat, drink, laugh and socialize then head back home! It's almost cheaper for us to meet than ship. LoL

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9184791

Well Looks as I Will be Holding a fall swap in the park Already been contacted by 5 gals will let you know if we get one arranged :) off to PREP For Bingo Done well last night so off to try again tonight :)))
Back later all .
Oh An Anita MOTHER NATURE DOSE IT ALL :)))
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9184940

Sounds good Susie. Will you let me know what the rules and the dates are? So I can be ready by fall. I plan to try to divide my Sedum and daylilies.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9184949

HERE YA IS ANITA & ALIC :) MARK YOUR CALENDAR

THERE IS CHAT OF A SEPT 15TH PLANT SWAP

BUT THIS ONE WILL POSSIBLE BE OUT HERE IN MY YARD
I NEED TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED

WILL BE FROM 11:AM ---????? TILL ALL PLANTS ARE SWAPPED
THERE WILL BE A SMALL LUNCHEON RAFFLES
BRING A GARDENING GIFT IN A BROWN PAPER BAG FOR GIFT ECXHANGE
BRING YOUR FRIENDS & HAVE A GREAT DAY TOURING THE GARDENS.
& EXCHANGING PLANTS WITH FRIENDS .
HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU .

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

June 28, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9185291

I am SOOOOO excited! You Know I will be there Dee! Diamond, I think we should meet half way! I will also divide Hosta's, daylilys, and whatever else I can! The Fall at Dee's I would be more than willing to provide some "crafty" garden items for the raffle, and also anything you may need! So...EVERYONE let's play:)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9185567

ALI :if you go over to the MICHIGAN Forum you will see the spring swap we had in the park at FREEPORT I was Born & Raised there & & Have always held the swaps there for the last 5 yrs but there are a few who want to have it here at my home so they can pick & Choose :))))) not really but it will be lots of fun :)))

well just got home from bingo & I got to get to bed so i can get up with daddy ya all have a great weekend .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9185606

Ya'll are making me envious you live close enough to have a Fall get-together. Not to mention I could really use a road trip and a change of scenery. One of these days...

Pic is D/L 'Magic Dawn' you shared with me, Susie. Love it! It's very tall and really shows out among the shorter plants.

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9185773

Susan, come on down! That would be fun!!!! There are a couple more ladies in Indiana and one more in Ohio. We could have a nice round up. Fruity, I would be thrilled to the bone if you could make it too.

Ali, what kind of crafts do you make? Do you have pictures?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9186104

I have over 7 acres that anyone can bring a camper for the weekend just not sure i can run ELECTRIC OUT TO EVERYONE :)
but i can get a porta-potty :) if ya have air mattresses i can make room on my floor for a few jammy party :)))) . or is that a old lady jammy party cheese balls & wine :)))) ,

my day in with daddy its to hot to be out side anyway , went over early this morning for my blood work & On the way back YEP stopped in at my favorite NURSERY & Well & $78. less BINGO Money I Have a few NEW GOODIES .

so anyone that makes it to my sept plant swap will be goig home with all types of irises , sdb, tb, int, & many DAYLILIES , & Whole lotta
ORNAMENTAL GRASSES ;0. you name it its here some where just not sure where but if you find it & if it has to be moved its yours :)

I'M GOING TO GET RID OF MANY IRISES SO I CAN MAKE ROOM FOR OTHER LOVES .
& there are many . well off to get daddys lunch back later .

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9186244

Good morning all...
Update on fires, the one 10 miles from me is out now, thankgoodness.
Haven't heard about the one 60 miles away.
The fire in Colorado Springs is doing better today, they are allowing some to go home, if they have one. Yesterday they found 1 person had perished and the other person living in that same home is missing, they say there are another 10 people that haven't checked in with the Red Cross so for now they are missing. So sad...347 homes lost. The smoke from the fire south still passes over my valley when the winds shift to the northeast. I'm glad I live as far away as I do (due to health concerns), most of the smoke has been along the foothills mostly to the north so it misses me.

Been staying inside mostly, staying out of the heat and smoke. Moving the sprinklers around is about it for my daily chores. Did get a chance to pot a few things tho (early morning, when it's cool and little to no breeze), had enough of being couped up inside. Got one breif spritz of rain but we need more... An all day rain would be perfect.

Pix:One of my new aquisitions from last summer

Hey suzie, you can ship anytime your ready, I can pot things and keep on the porch til the heat spell is done with or the fires subside, atleast I'm in the shade then, lol. I need to get into the garden and get some things done (deadheading, weeding and planting), but won't at this point in time...We are due for our annual monsoon season (afternoon rains) to start in the next few weeks, hoping it's early this year and plentiful.

Got a few tomatoes potted up in 2 gallon containers this morning (clearance items), maybe later into the garden or will transfer to 5 gallon pots in a few weeks. Pulled the bottom leaves off and buried them the full depth of the pot. Yummy, can't wait til their ready "Super Sweet 1000" . Has anyone tried those new blackcherry tomatoes yet, sounds like they might be yummmy also.

Will try to get some digging done for trades that I need to finish up on for JUNE, will start Sun or Mon. tho they are saying upper 90 and low 100's, all depends on the smoke or I guess the winds Where's my miners hat>>>>>, hey that's an idea, I can dig at night...I do have a light on a stand that is four feet tall, hmmmm. I just hope I can get back on track with trades...if by chance I goof and I owe you a trade, PLEASE remind me...

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 10:35 AM

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9186294

Kathy, I'm so glad you are okay and the fire are dying down. Hopefully, the people who are unaccounted for are safe with family or friends. What's the name of the iris in the picture? She looks blue.

Does anyone have any coreopsis lightning flash?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9186607

KATHY GOOD TO HEAR your safe & i will be shipping for sure Monday they say rain possible this evening just not sure where .
well Guess i better get daddy some super to hot to cook so .

susie

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

June 30, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9187194

Kathy, I am SOOO glad the fires are starting to get under control! I will continue to pray for all who were devastated by them, and continued safety for you! I will check out the MI thread, and I know I am farther north, but I will have a bedroom open by Sept. (My daughters go back to college the end of Aug). Dee, I am SO excited about Iris's I only have one type:) If there are any Daylilys anyone would like, I work at a daylily garden, and they pay me in Daylily's...so...please just let me know:) I can't wait to see who my Red, White, and Blue goes to and send the surprises out:) Dee, I do LOTS of different crafts, the one I do most is Paper crafting, stamping, scrap-booking, and more! I LOVE Pinterest, so I try lots of things there! I just started sewing too, so I try and stay busy during out long winters:) Have a wonderful day everyone!
Ali-c

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9187382

MIDNOON & A Few things done :) I Have allot more DWARF Iris's dug & soaking in bleach water have to go rinse them Trying to have them ready for the swap & going to take some over to the market a friend is going to sell them for me .

well i have to go get lunch soon after i get the irises rinsed Then I will come back & Check the list of players :)

SIGN UP FOR JULY RED WHITE & BLUE ENDS BY 5PM TODAY SATURDAY JUNE 30 TH SO LET YOUR FRIENDS KNOW .

SUSIE

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9187388

SO FAR WE HAVE "RIGHT" WE REALLY COULD USE ONE MORE PLAYER IF NOT 3 :))))))

DEEJAY9
WWKATHY
FRAUSNOW
CHEERMOM
FOTV
MINNESIPPI
ALIKAT32
CRIT
AHOOGSTRA

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9187510

OK HERE IS A NEW THREAD FOR THE FALL SWAP @ MY PLACE
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268599/

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9187819

jUST waiting to hear back from susan/fotv & then I Hope to have OUR SECRET swap buddy tonight perhaps .

so sit tight & IF YOU WANT TO JOIN US YOU HAVE Now till 7 pm or till i hear back from susan :))) witch ever comes first :)))) so hurry & Do join us .

xenspirit

xenspirit
Woburn, MA
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9187991

Hi, I don't think I can come up with red white and blue. Maybe next month I'll participate, depending on what the theme is. It sound like a lot of fun.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9188099

XEN It is fun & You would be surprised as to what you might be able to come up with maybe you have a small
Plant Nursery around there right now all of ours up this way have their perennials & ANNUALS All Marked down & My Poor pal is going to maybe hate me will Not Hate me but will surely have her hands busy in this heat :)) .
as I Have have been Planting Mine also :)))

so if you would like to play along please do. Join us I Have not heard from miss fotv yet so it will be tomorrow when you all get your pals names maybe :)))

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9188147

I Sent dmails to CHEERMOM,,FOTV,,ALIKAT32 MISPLACED MY ADDRESS BOOK SO NEED YOU TO SEND ME YOUR ADDRESSES . TY .

frausnow ARE YOU STILL WITH US HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU IN AWHILE HOPE YOUR STAYING COOL :)
WELL OFF TO PUT THE CRITTERS UP FOR THE NIGHT .
WILL BE BACK IN THE MORNING .
SUSIE

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9188507

GM well i rec'd all but one address & FOTV You Know who you are :) I Bet she took a little weekend Trip so when she gets back I will get her address off to her partner :)

I Have sent out all your partners names & Addresses if you didn't get one let me know . Just have fun with this & DO NOT STRESS OVER this will be fun :) HAPPY 1st Day of a NEW MONTH :)

well off to wash a few more Irises & ALI-H is your in the Neighbor just saying :) coffee pot is on :)
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9188539

Susie, I didn't get a partner.
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9188837

Still here Susie. Been checking in daily for updates, just haven't posted.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9189134

ok i have mine all packed & ready to go out in tomorrows mail I Worked on it all day today :) Sure hope my partner can enjoy it when it arrives :) WONDER WHERE ITS GOING TO LAND it should land about thursday.

its going to be hot all week long & I would not be able to get into my gardens so I had to do it today while it was much cooler here . well off to put my critters in for the night . & add a final touch to my partners box before it goes out tomorrow :))) Good night all :)))))
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9189258

Geez, I've been gone since Friday afternoon and have a lot of catching up to do.

First Kathy, I'm so relieved the fires near you are contained. Our firefighters don't get enough credit, putting their lives in the line of danger. I can't imagine how scared you and your neighbors have been.

Giving a shout out to you, Diamond Girl! How I'd squeal to meet you too and so many others :) I'm going to do my best to make that happen in the Fall.

Welcome, xenspirit. It's great to have a Gentleman in our midst!

Susie, I'm really sorry I held you up. Our Round-Up was yesterday. It was a great day, but OMG it was so hot and horribly humid. Thankfully several folks bought fans! When we left around 4:30 PM, the actual temp was 104. I don't even want to know what the heat index was. Most of the day, I wore a rope of wet paper towels around my neck, but you couldn't tell where the towels left off and the sweat began. Several of us spent Friday and Saturday night up in the mountains in a very nice large modern log cabin, and the rain storms both nights were terrible. Last night's was worse when we had hail. Thankfully none of us had damage to our vehicles.

Edited to say...I've been a thunderstorm junkie all my life, but it's been a long time since I've actually been afraid of one that lasted so long, a good 4 hours, and it was greatly amplified by our Cabin's tin roof to the point it was hard to even hear a conversation inside. There were several detours on my way home due to fallen trees, and a portion of the soffit on the North end of our house was ripped off Friday night. Our insurance adjuster will be here as soon as he can to give us an estimate of the damage. I'm hoping it's less than our deductible and hubby will be able to make the repairs himself.

We're fortunate to have power. So many people nearby haven't had electricity since Friday and the projection is they won't for another week or two.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 9:15 PM

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
2:39 AM

Post #9189481

AH...Fruity! Thank goodness everyone is safe (and your cars!) ...but your poor house! Yikes...104 is horrible to be out in for so long! (I'm assuming a round - up is rounding up of all the animals??? -- or it could be what we do in NH - -roadside round - up is where we pick up all the trash on the road...) :) Hopefully your plants enjoyed some well deserved drinks after all that heat!

DJ -- thanks for my trade partner! Exciting stuff! I'll be sending out my fun package this weekend...so it should arrive at my partner's house on Monday - July 9th! GO Red White and Blue!

:)

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9189619

Same storm hit us on Friday. We had 66,000 people with no power here, that number does not include the surrounding counties. I got power restored on Saturday. There's a lot of restaurants, gorcery stores, gas stations, etc. with no power. So the restaurants that do have power are starting to run out of food. there's no ice to be found in the city nor generators. Powers supposed to be restored by Wednesday evening.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9189633

No storms here sure wish we did it is so so dry here I just don;t know how my plants are blooming so well with no water . many of their leaves are turning brown or burning up on many plants . but the blooms are so pretty .

I Have decided that I will be moving only the plants i want to keep up to the top gardens & anyone coming to the swap will have plenty
to dig & take with them . then will turn it back to grass down front. just keeping my raised beds . ;)
getting way to much to care for all the huge gardens any more .

well off to the post office back later in the day.

susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 2, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9190515

Im half ready to send. Checked my partners want list and I did good I think. Got anfew wanteditems without even knowing :) a few more goodies and we should be good to ship on Monday.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9191798

Ugh..

Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9192021

According to our 6 o'clock news tonight, power has been restored to about 1/3 of the households hit by Friday's storm. Some grocery stores are dark and others are running on generators. Ice is one of the main commodities, especially since we live near a lake and have thousands of tourists and campers converging for the 4th of July holiday this week and next week. Our adjuster is up to his ears with people who have a lot more damage than we do. The soffit that was ripped off our 2-story house is at the tip top of our North eave, like a 14' V-shaped section, and decided to call the guy who replaced our roof 1-1/2 years ago. He's really good and fair and will be out one day this week or next to give us an estimate and expect he'll make the repairs while he's here. No rain is in sight unless it's a pop-up thunderstorm and doubt after taking a closer inspection that our damage will exceed the cost of our deductible, plus hubby saved the V that blew off and it is still mostly intact.

A Round-Up is a planned Regional event where DG members, subscribers, and their friends and family get together mostly for a pot-luck lunch and a plant swap. Ours is a one-day event, but some are held over several days. I started hosting ours when there wasn't one nearby. Check the RU Forum for one near you. You'll enjoy yourself and have an opportunity to meet DG'ers face-to-face. You'll have fun and will make Friends for Life!

And if there isn't a RU near you, take the plunge and organize one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/roundup/all/

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 3, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9192034

I hope everyone can stay cool, I am so sorry to hear of the T-storms! I'm glad you are all OK. I am wishing everyone a very safe, and wonderful July 4th. Please try and stay cool:) Hee hee ...wishful thinking!
Have a wonderful holiday!
Ali-C

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9192383

Happy 4th Everyone!

I've been up north at a conference...so I'm trying to catch up on the posts...

Kathy -- so sad...all those fires! So much destroyed! I hope they find everyone safe and sound! The poor land and animals too! AHHHH! I have some good news...the pow wow white you gave me and the delphi are now blooming...along with the verbascum(again) and the pink baby's breath...I am enjoying them so much!

I will check out the round up discussion forums...sounds fun! I'm also getting my box ready for my partner! Watch for it on Saturday as I hope to mail it out tomorrow! FUN STUFF!

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9192436

Happy 4th!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9192787

HAPPY 4 TH EVERYONE I'M staying in getting some well needed cleaning done , living on a dirt road ya eat allot of dust :( I've had my share this week so since I have to stay in out of the heat figure i better get rid of as much as i can :)
hope you all are staying cool . back to chat later today

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9193537

DJ - I spent some of yesterday cleaning too! Dirt road living is great for quiet and peacefulness...but my car and my house gets full of dust and grit! It was so humid it almost hurt to breathe yesterday...and I had to stay in for the hot part of the day...but at least the laundry is DONE and the bathrooms cleaned! (But I kept thinking..."really - is this the holiday spirit...cleaning?") Heehee!

Gotta run but I'll be back tonight to give an update (photos) on the new garden (the plants are just wonderful) and on a new quick project we just finished! Have a great day everyone!

Alikat
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9193558

I hope everyone had a safe 4th. I didn't have a lot of people with fireworks close to my home but I hear people still set them off.

So far there are still 10,000 people here with no power. Most of the restaurants are open and food is being given away to help the people who lost food. Things are looking better here but we are not back to 100% yet.

Susie, I hear storms are heading your way. Please, stay safe! No rain in sight for us. Temps up to 94 but with the humidity it will feel like 113 degrees.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9193907

NO rain here way North & East of us . sure would be nice to have some rain trully need it . just staying in to stay cool . they just said another 60 hrs before any relief from this . just waiting for sandy to get here so i can go back out to my place & finish up my cleaning i have have been trying to pack up many things i do not use any more so i can cut back on clutter :)))

well off to check the mail back later today before BINGO :)))
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9193984

I'm trying to declutter as well. I have to do it in phases!

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9194771

HI Everyone!

Declutter...when you find a magic way to make it happen...let me know...! How I get so much stuff is a mystery to me! Must be those little moving elves...moving stuff in here while I sleep!

Below I posted some photos...
1st one -- sunset on July 4th...
2nd one - circle garden in bloom...shady place in the yard
3rd one - the new garden...where there are NO more rocks...with some plants from swaps from all of you!
4th one - my newly painted box for plants
5th one - plants in the new box

I've been busy weeding and weeding...I've got my book club ladies coming on Monday night for their annual garden visit to my house...so much pressure...for good looking beds...but at least I've been motivated to get out there and PULL weeds! Now...on to what I'll make for dinner...! :)

I am so thrilled to hear Anita that people are getting food...I hope the power comes back soon to everyone!

goodnight...

Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32   Thumbnail by AliKat32

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9194816

Very nice Ali!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9195010

GM ALL BE RIGHT BACK

NEW
DJ'S JULY 2012 RED WHITE & BLUE PLANT SWAP SHOW & TELL :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269605/

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9197538

Guess I must have looked at the birthday page wrong , for i thought it said alikat32s b-day was the 9th same as mine hey No problem bad eyesight .

so will wish you a HUGE HAPPY B-DAY now & Also go call my baby brother who's b-day is today also .
hope your have a great time camping alik ;)))

back later
susie
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 8, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9197856

You mean to tell me some of you still have a garden. My plants have just about all baked. The trees are so dried they are losing their leaves...won't be a colorful fall. All that trading and planting and then this heat wave. Went to IN and it was just as hot...no relief. Temp supposed to drop today but it 's still 100 degrees. I am still thankful that we have air-conditioner unlike those suffering on the East coast from the storm. I feel their pain, especially those like me with the hot-flash syndrome.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9198292

Vel, it has been awfully hot here but I have been watering almost everyday. I do have a shrub that is not looking too good.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9198710

Happiest Birthday ever, Susie! And many more.
Do something fun for yourself today. You deserve it so much!

Thoughts of you grow in my garden.
xoxo

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9198937

GM & Thank you Susan your Gardens Look So much More Healthier then mine do right now we have had NO Rain For About 15-20 days to say rain had a few drops about two weeks ago. then we had 100* for 3-4 days in a row just killed many.
My friend Judy & I Are going to go to Bingo tonight right now jim is helping paint my new shelves he built me & My Niece is bringing over some carpet samples for her hubby lays carpet for a company & can get me some nice carpet:)

so off to fix lunch before she gets here then off to bingo ya all have a super day it is much cooler here now :)))
& thank you for the B-day wishes :)

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9198990

Have a Happy and Blessed Birthday Susie!

Sue G

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9199360

ty sue G Ya Might say I'm Haven a Very relaxing time tonight :) HEHE

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9199585

Just wanted to come show off a few of my Hen's -N-Chicks in Bloom :) I Need to find them a permant home & Get them out of the containers :) My Pour gardens are in full bloom & So are the weeds I'm so assame of taken any pictures to show I can't pull the weeds for it is so dry here cannot get a for in the ground .& still no rain in sight till possible sunday then its 30% to NIL For here .

well you all have a great evening I'm going to go lay back again . but had to share

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9199644

I also posted this on the show and tell thread but thought maybe Alicia might see it here first:

I received a BIG box from AHoogstra today and there was a cute little card inside but the card was blank - also the plants are not marked so I would post what I got but I haven't a clue - LOL! Alicia, can you let me know what you sent? Thank you very much for the plants!

Sue G

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9199794

Sue if you can post pictures maybe we can help you out as to what they are ALICIA Is away this week This is Her 1st swap she was going to be gone for awhile & Wanted to get it out to you so when she gets back I Know she will contact you :) I Had chatted with her before she left & Think she told me what she sent but this old Mind has no memory :(.
but she will contact you .

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 9, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9199812

Ok thanks Susie, haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I'll wait for Alicia to write. Thanks.
Sue G

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9199969

GM Everyone!

Susie - hope your BDAY was fantastic! I had fun camping but it's great to be back in my own BED! I hope you got my BDAY package! XO

Sorry to hear it's been so hot with no rain out your way! It's been hot but not super hot here this past week...and last night it got down to 48* which is crazy chilly for this time of year. No rain to speak of -- all the storms we were suppose to get have passed us by...so I'll be watering today in a few areas but I just can't water it all since we have our own well and you never know how much water you've got!

Hosted my book club friends here last night...they loved the garden tour...yeah! Happy gardening! Susie -- I used my new napkin holders! I'll post later tonight as I'm off to work but the table looked festive with them!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9200015

Susie, I hope you had a super fantabulous birthday!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9200507

ALL & ALL It was a good day got waited on for most of the day :)) Knee is much better ice packs worked well :)
well my niece brought over the carpet samples so got that ordered will be in next week .
now off to search craig's list for my frig :) & Sofa :))) have a great day .
susie
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9200547

Glad you are okay Susie!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9200706

falls are just a little harder on the old body any more but I'm fine :) waiting for the sun to go down just a tad bit more so i
can go take a couple pictures.
gotta call coming in back later
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9201296

I have a question for some of the experienced gardeners. I have some bee balm that has finished blooming. I would like to cut it back and divide and pot it up now. Do you think now whould be a good time?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9201426

ANITA : Fruity sent me some Bee Balm & It was cut back There are New shoots coming out on it So I Would say it would be fine as long as you can keep them Moist & Out of extreme heat while they are regrowing .
thats what I Have done with the ones fruity sent me .
well i have made a whole $7. so far since 8:30 when my 1st costomer stopped by :) hehe
got to get the rest of my tags on chat more later
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9201723

I thought about your advice on potting up your trades well before shipping to avoid plant shock. I thought I could divide, then pot them up to be ready for next year. Speaking of which, I have some butterfly bushes (seedling) that need a home. The seeds were mixed, so I have no idea what color they will be. If anyone is interested, give me a hollar!
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 11, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9202160

Diamond, don't think you can hurt those bee balms. They have the underground runners, like mint...they will be back next year.

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9203288

Anita - how big do butterfly bushes get...are they really bushes?

No rain in sight here...my veggie garden is looking a bit wilty...more watering tomorrow! Hope everyone is well!

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9203958

Ali, I have one bush that is only 3 years old (Black knight - grown from seeds) that is about 7 or 8 ft tall with no blooms yet. My others are 2 years old (honeycomb) and 6 ft and one is less than a year and 3 ft tall.

The bushes that I have to send are only sprout and not 1 ft tall yet. They are pretty healthy even in this heat...so far. LoL The butterflies and bees love them.

Thanks Vel! I'm going to split some of them now. Do you have bee balm? I think I read that if I trim bee balm back I can control how tall they get. I have quite a few plants that flop and I hattttttttttttttttttttttte that. LoL I'm not a good staker, so I want to keep them shorter and bushier.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 13, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9203999

Diamond, we have that in common. I don't like plants that can't stand on their own. I do have a few bee balms, didn't do well because the moles keep uprooting them so the roots are barely in the ground. I now trying moth balls to see if that will work. Next will be the habernero peppers. I was told to make a strong solution soak cotton balls in the solution and put them in the mole track.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9204016

Here's a link from Purdue about getting rid of moles. http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/Moles.html

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9204169

vel get a few kittens they will take care of them for sure well ours do ;) everyday there is 2-3 dead ones on my back deck . my cats won;t eat them but they sure play with them for a long time :) just till they don't move any more then they bring them to the deck .
well off to relax for the night , so GN all
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9204190

Susie, are these the moles or voles that your kitties drag in?
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 13, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9204297

Thanks Diamond for the info. The product the article relates to is I think the product that I bought from Lowes earlier in the yr for $20.00. I thought I got rid of them for awhile but not!
I don't even know the difference between the two-moles/voles.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 13, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9204304

Diamond, how close are you to Lafayette? My daughter just moved to the area, next time I visit I'll come by you and dig some plants. My little spade is already in my car trunk (lol)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9204658

they catch them all even Mice & Yes a Bird or two now and again but the sparrows not the hummers, or blue bird as of yet anyway got to go get my coffee & get the sale open Last day of it Only going to be open till 2;30 pm Have to go to my Brother-in-laws retirerment party tonight .so you all have a great day .
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9208414

Here's a mole and a vole/meadow mouse:

Thumbnail by diamond9192002   Thumbnail by diamond9192002

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9208431

our cats bring in the moles.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9208614

Do any of you ladies have to stake your coneflowers?
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 17, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9208671

Only the ones the dogs knock over :/ but I have them near the fences so they cling too.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 17, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9208969

Diamond, the damage in my yard is definitely from those deadly looking claws of the mole.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9209007

Vel, I hope you can find the moles a tasty treat. I see the holes in my beds from the voles (I think). I hear they like to hid under debris, so I try to keep everything tidy but that won't stop them from hanging out in your yard.

My DGD and I were moving some flagstone and a vole was hanging out under the flagstone. They seem to be must slower than mice. Once I saw it I screamed and ran. My DGD had a delayed reaction. She was so busy watching me move with the speed of a gazelle that she didn't think about what I was running from. So by the time she figured it out I was inside the house holding the door open for her. LoL I couldn't form the words (let's go) or stop my feet from moving. LoL Darn varmits!
velmansia
Antioch, TN

July 17, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9209014

I am still laughing! I would rather see a vole than that hideous looking mole in the picture you showed.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9209532

LOL diamond. I have a mental pic of you standing at the door!!!!

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen any moles and I'm pretty sure I have/had voles. I had heard to put caster bean seeds in their trails when you run across them. They will eat them and die! Even if they sprout and start to grow, if they eat on the roots it will kill them. I am happy to say I have NO trails out in the middle of my yard this year, and have not had ONE sinkhole happen when I'm watering, so I would say that the castor bean seeds were a hit!!!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9209636

EEK! Laughing and would have been running inside with you, Diamond Girl! Both those critters are so gross looking. The kitties bring what I think are baby voles after they've been played with and killed, or eaten and find puked up guts on our doormats. You'll never know how thankful I am not having a mouse in the house for the past three Winters. We have a new litter of six kittens that were born last week while I was gone. Hubby is not a cat lover, so he says, but made a bed for them in a tote lined with one of his old shirts. One of the newborns is striped, one is solid black, another is grey with white markings, and three are solid white reverting back to their Siamese genes. Any takers?!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 18, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9210012

UGH!!!!!!! So tired of NO RAIN...and CRAZY temps! We need some relief! I am getting SOOOOO excited to hopefully recv my swap soon! Yippy!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a great day everyone!
ALI-C
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 18, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9210309

It POURED here today for a bit. Monsoon type rains but very short lived. We got some over night as well.
We need a slow, long rain - across the country.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9210727

I would take a short lived Monsoon type rain, if for nothing else but to clean up the air!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9210910

Hi...Thankyou so much sue!!!! Yes, I did get my package, I can't find my list of plant names , could you please help me with them. You included a note and I just can't find it, gosh how embarrasing I forgot to post, please forgive!!!! Are any of them perenns other than the daylily?, or indoor plants, sorry I'm not familiar with any of them, all are new to me...any growing tips would be appreciated and thanks sooo much for your generosity, hugs!!!!! Kathy.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2012 10:03 PM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9211033

GM RAIN RAIN RAIN OH SO NICE . MUCH NEEDED . lots of thunder bunders last night & now just a steady rain very nice .
sorry been missing the last few days but , I had to take everything out of my house so that i could do epoxy my floors & It is not a one day deal :( we findly got them painted last night have not been out there yet to see how it looks. while it was wet it looked pink or a mauve color
& it was to be a sandalwood . so i'm not sure what it is . so guess i should go look :) yep still looks pink RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
i didn't go in for it is still raining i don't want to walk on the floor yet .

well I Plan to do a little more painting today on a few rocks . In between laundry & sitting here with daddy , & checking in on all of you here:)
wishing you all happy gardening
susie

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9211140

Kathy,
It's been a while but the red one is Kalanchoe and the blue one I believe is Angelonia. I believe in addition to the card I included plastic markers. Hope you find either!

Sue G

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9211309

KATHY MAYBE THIS WILL HELP
Angelonia, IS CONSIDERED AN ANNUAL
http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/giam/plants_and_grasses/flowering_plants/angelonia.html

KALANCHO IS A GREAT PLANT I JUST GOT THE REDISHES OR ORANGY LOOKING ONE AT MY SPRING PLANT SWAP IT HAS BLOOMED PROFUSELY IN ALL THIS HEAT I LOVE IT :) PERENNIAL

http://www.ioffer.com/14642082

WHAT WERE THE OTHERS ? I WILL POST A PICTURE OF MY KALANCHO WHEN I CAN GET BACK ITO MY HOUSE & GET MY COMPUTER BACK UP RIGHT NOW THE FLOOR HAS BEEN PAINTED & I CANNOT WALK ON IT TILL PROBLE TOMORROW YET .

BUT THAT ABOVE LOOKS MORE LIKE AUTUMN JOY SEDUM OR IN THAT FAMILY.
WELL DADDY IS CALLING SO BACK LATER .

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

July 19, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9211520

RAIN!!!!!!! Praise the Lord! We have rain! Seriously has lifted my spirits! Wishing everyone else rain too!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 19, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9211535

YEA!!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9212159

We have been getting rain for the past couple of days. Yesterday we actually got 1 whole inch!!!! My plants are doing the happy dance. LoL
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 20, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9212200

We got some rain as well (did I mention that already?) It was beautiful last night - good night to mow the lawn and work in the yard - but I was at softball tourneys all night...so THAT didnt get done. LOL
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9212251

How's your temps there? We are at 68 degrees with a high of 81. I would love to go home and cut my grass today. I just got a new movwer and I cannot wait to try it out.

Did you all hear about the Batman movie shootings in Denver? Scary!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 20, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9212271

I have a girlfriend who is an EMS in Denver - they took EMS/Fire from the east side of denver and PD from everywhere...(not her).
How horrible. I just cant even get into the mind of people like that.

Temps are supposed to be 92 today (beautiful right now though with a great breeze), 94 tomorrow & Sunday. Great baseball tourney weather (NOT!!) I have so much to do at home. Havent mowed in 2 weeks, havent done anything more than pick a few cukes and one cherry tomato in the last two weeks. Yard is screaming for me. Its either too darn HOT or I am not home.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9213896

Man, you girls with the rain and temps below triple digets just make me want to cry! :( Hope we get some rain and heat relief, but don't see any in sight. 107* Thursday and close to it all the other days. Forcast of 7 more days no rain and over 100* temps.

Enjoy what ya got !! :-)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9214140

I Hear ya crit this has been the hottest summer here in Mich & We findly got some rain this last week but sure could use much more.
Sure hope you also get some relief from the heat .

Need a show of hands as to how many want to share a few Plants In AUGUST . I Know it has been very hot for so many & Many of you have been so Generous & Not much left to trade .

. I Know In Sept We are going to share our Favorite Plants that maybe we have lost our tags or never knew the name of ,
& a few of the ones also that have their names. FALL HARVEST PLANTS :))))

BUT WHAT TO DO FOR AUG ??? PLEASE GIVE YOUR INPUT HERE .
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 22, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9214163

So many have hot weather with no rain. We have had rain in the last few days and luckily it is in the forecast all week. My plants are still looking pretty rough though. Maybe we could swap names to trade gift cards or hard scapes or something? Or water? :)
DH's birthday is tomorrow. Going to his folks for bbq today but I plan to play in the yard a bit this morning. No more sports for the kids for a few days. There is a beautiful breeze with 75 degrees right now. Got the lawn mowed yesterday but that was it. Wore me out. Saw tons of stuff I need to do during that process :/ still have a few plants to get in the ground.
Have my amaryllis bulbs just sitting on top of a pot of dirt...the leaves are about 11" tall. Guess I need to put those in the ground too.
I do have some things I could trade in Aug if anyone else wants to try it with the heat.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9214170

I'm up for trading plants in August but I'll go with whatever the majority votes!

Sue G
(CheerMom)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9214514

COME CHECK US OUT FOR AUG SWAP

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272084/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9214762

Susie, I'm still languishing trying to get my July box out. Will send you the D/C numbers when it's ready.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9214768

NOT Trying to rush anyone here Please take your time :) don't want anyone over heating :)))

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9214801

Susies...If I get caught up on my trades I will consider. I know I need to finish those already commited to tho. Send rain!!!!!, Clouds and Cooler temps...Lol...Kathy

Pix: here's one most of you have probably never seen nor heard of (mauve in forground), it Lythrum Mordens Pink. It has been banned from being sold as it's cousins are notorious reseeders, creating problems with waterways in the west and many other states. Too bad tho this one is sterile and a beauty at 48". I got it about 20 years ago, I love it!!!
Just a bit of learning for the gang, lol...anyone else have it?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9215292

Hope you get caught up . kathy we always need players :))))
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9217755

Kathy I think I heard of it but nothing more. Very pretty!

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9218659

Off topic: here's a pic (I'm not the greatest photographer) of the datura under the lemon tree in my back yard. As you can see it's spreading all around. We did NOT plant it but very fragrant...sort of like Chanel No. 5

Thumbnail by CheerMom

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9218810

Sue, your white Datura has a nice spread and is so pretty. Good growing even if you didn't plant it!

Get caught up? When will that be, in October or when the first Frost falls for most of us? Anybody on the fence for August might as well play with the rest of us. You know the old saying, 'A Gardener's Work Is Never Done." A few new Cannas added this year are blooming but got side tracked from taking photos this morning while I got a box of plants in the mail for another swap and also weeded before the humidity drove me indoors.

Remember when you were a kid and could play outside all day during the Summer and never thought about the heat? I want those days back!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9218850

I Agree susan I could be out from 6am -till 8pm when the skitters came out I went in :)

Great Pic sueG save me some seeds Please :) Not sure if I Posted But Had to put daddy in the Hospital yesterday afternoon &
Looks as if we will have to bring in Hospis when we get him home but not sure as to when that will be for they have to transport him up to GR One day to have tubes put into his Kidneys & Remove the cath Prayers please for he is very sick right now in much pain or he was Now he is on meds to help him rest & For the pain. Now off to bed for i have to go up in the morning to talk with doc's will be home about noon when sister sandy gose in to sit with him. GN All
susie
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9218935

Susie, sending prayers your way for Daddy. I hope he an get some relief from the pain soon!

CheerMom. beautiful Daturas. I'm not really a fan of Datura (only because I could never get mine to look like yours) but if I could have some I would want them to spread just like yours. Conditions must be perfect for them in AZ. Here's Datura has the same growing habit as a Brug..more upright and bushy.

Susan, funny you should bring up playing in the humidity as kids. One Sunday I told my grandma I wanted Shirley Temples curls for church. She told me the curls would not last and I would have to get my hair done all over again. No I wanted Shirley Temples curls. She gave them to me, took her 30/45 minutes to do my hair and the curls didn't last through church. LoL

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9219060

HI Everyone,
I remember those younger days...I grew up in TX and we would be out all day -- no water, no sunscreen and no way to contact us...I never remember being hot even though it was in the 100's all the time! Oh -- to be oblivious to the heat again!

The datura looks fantastic...does it grow in zone 5? Would love something fragrant!

I'm never caught up - ever...I just try to get one thing done off the long list every day! Not making much headway!

Have a great day everyone!

Candi

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9219257

I don't see any other Datura's in the neighborhood so I think what happened was I threw out some old seeds I never got around to planting and the garbage bag must have had a hole in it because one sprouted up by the back door. I tried to always cut the big seed pods off before they had a chance to burst but must not have caught them all because now I have them under the lemon tree which is about 30 feet away. They grow beautifully then they get all pale and full of holes (must be spider mites or something) and we cut them back to the ground and they start growing right back within a day or so...only way to really get rid of them is to pull out the roots. If I ever DO plant Datura's I'll get the purple or multicolored or double kind and put them in pots or else I'll be overrun LOL! Anyone who wants seeds just D-Mail your address I will have hundreds of them.

Sue G
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9219506

Sue, your datura is a Moonflower. Each bloom after it drops off will make a prickly ball about the size of a golfball. When they POP (you can actually hear it) open, there are about 100 seeds in each one!. I have one that I have cut back 2 times this year as it was outgrowing the space I have for it. If you do not cut off the spent bloom before the ball starts, or cut the balls off when they start to grow, you will have them EVERYWHERE. Very easy to grow! Don't know about zones though but they are here. If you want to capture some seed, cut up some nylons and tie around the ball, securing it with a twist tie or something. Then after they dry and pop, cut the ball off and retrieve the seeds. Wear gloves because the balls are spiney sharp. Also, it is one of those plants that is listed as posionous, although I have never had any problem from it. I do wash my hands after handling it.

Any more questions just let me know and I'll see if I can answer. I LOVE my moonflower. My mom had them when I was a little girl. I'm going to allow it more space to grow next year. Mine keeps coming back from the original plant I planted 2 years ago. They aren't suppose to do that but mine does. lol

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 26, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9219864

I know, I used to do exactly that put a stocking or a plastic baggie mostly zip shut around the ball so I could catch the seeds. I'll do that with this one since it's so nice. My husband is itching to cut it back now that it's bloomed so nice. I keep telling him he needs to let nature run it's course.

He calls them the "devil plant" because the one by the back door seemed to know it better not cover up the gas meter. It grew around it instead of in front of it so my husband had no excuse to cut it down. Confounded him. LOL.

He's a "Prunator" instead of a terminator. I have to watch him when he get's out the pruners.

Sue G.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9220770

EVENING All Guess I posted on thewrong thread I'm so tired forgive me but i need to find out who has sent or not sent their JULY BOXES Yet so if you all can help me My Hands are full right now with daddy & Hospis , Family I will need your help to keep track here
so i don't get behind . as you all know I Have opened the sign up for AUGUST But Would like to try to close the JULY But need to know who has sent or rec'd . Please help me keep track .
i have to go lay back My shift with daddy is 12 am to 7 am . so will get back when i can .

susie
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9220783

Minnesippi/Stephanie has sent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9220857

Mine hasn't gone out yet.
I have received from JoAnn.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9220860

Hi all...Suzie, give daddy a hug!!!!!!! Oh ya, my package went out this afternoon and will arrive Monday!!!!!! Now to get my other trades caught up so I can get in on the August trade...

Wow...I'm actually getting some rain this afternoon, sure wish it would stay here for a while!!!

Oh and to the plant you all have been talking of...It's Datura metaloides, It's considered an annual but does reseed year to year, height is up to 48"X48" w. Fragrant, more so in the evening and yes those pods are truely Wicked!!!!!!! Mine have been seeding themselves in for years now. (have grown them for 15 years ish). Suzie...you will be recieving one in your package that I owe you. I use plyers to open and handle them.

Hey Crit...another plant called moonflower is Ipomea, related to morning glories, fat seed... (needs to be soaked overnight or nicked as seed is very hard). the datura is a small flat disk. I planted seed for the moonflower this year and needless to say with the drought I didn't see anything, maybe I'll try again next spring... Also moonflowers ( Ipomea...are a vine and also fragrant).. Now here's the perfect example of why I use the latin names on plants...two with the same common name but very different plants, altho the flowers are very similar ( large trumpet, evening bloomers and evening fragrant). All I can say is don't go plant shopping with me cuz I'll tell ya to smell this and that and that other one, lol...sorry, just can't help myself. Lol, that's why my garden club named me Horticulturalist (gosh I hope I spelled that right, lol...).

For susie and daddy...(pix)

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9220872

I would love to go nursery hopping with you, or attend one of your MG meetings!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9220897

Lol...Fruity...By the way got your package, will post in proper room and pix tomorrow, I'm letting them get a drink of RAIN!!!!! And sorry...not a master gardener, I'm naughty I didn't finish the classes cuz of the chems. I never wanted to study them, lol...tho am a member of Garden Clubs of America, Local chapter is what I belong to...Sorrry, I'm excited about the rain, lol...it's been a rareity here this summer, almost 4" low so far this season (when you only get 15" a year that's quite a deficet (sp...doesn't look like I spelled that right, duh,lol)...

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9220957

Rain! Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you...and your plants. Hope it's a sign of more to come.

My excuse for not knowing more is because Latin was pulled from the curriculum my Sophomore year in High School...lol

Lovely wave of daisies. Mine are kaput and are only one of the flowers that needs deadheading. Did get to the Marigolds this morning and weeded (again) til I couldn't stand the humidity. Is the tall plant with Pink blooms Phlox? Or...?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9221086

It's actually a shrub rose, lol...Those Daisies are usually 48", not so much this year due to lack of moisture and extra warm temps.

Lousy excuse on not learning Latin...(only joking), I'm a high school dropout (tho a GED graduate, lol, and a couple years of college, tho not in Hort.). But I do scads of reading and studied all the plants I wanted to grow, learning the latin names along the way Love those catalogs... and all the Hort. magazines. Some absolutely wonderful Catalogs are: Bluestone Perennials, Roots & Rhizomes and Thompson and Morgan Seeds. Favorite magazines are Horticulture and Fine Gardening, they actually do alittle more in depth reporting on specific plants and how to's. Growing tips and after care, dividing other forms of propogation, garden placement and best of all COLOR pix to entice you into wanting to grow them as good as the author of the article. Probably was my biggest downfall when it came to aquirring plants for my gardens. I wanted to grow them all, especially the fragrant ones. The only way I could afford to have all the plants I wanted, was to grow them from seed. Got plans for my grow stands from Fine Gardening, and My gardening Bible is Thompson and Morgan Seeds, they are very specific on the needs to start each type of seed, temps, light or dark, germination time They have more than a 1000 annuals and perenns. varieties (most with color pix and Latin name) of flowers for sale, not your typical catalog. Thats why I have alot of unusual plants, especially the Centaureas, right now I have 7 different varieties and have grown atleast 5 others. If you can find them at a nursery, you might get a choice of one or two perenns. and 1 annual type. I use to be able to say that 90% of my garden was started from seed, and new plants were bought only to get the seed to grow more. Now with all this trading I can't say that any more...Soooo much fun though, glad I found you all...Kathy

Ps. One thing about growing from seed is how gratifying is to see them as full grown specimens, full of blooms, fragrances abounding as its carries on an evening breeze, and the vast varieties of shapes, forms and colors. And I'm going to guess you ALL probably know more Latin than you think ...All Botanical names of flowers are Latin...(Fine Gardening also has pronunciations of all flowers listed in any article in the back of the mag. and their web site has a audible of Latin names so you can hear them pronounced, see you can learn latin too!!!
1. grow stand
2. a lily I grew from seed
3. all from seed
4and 5 from seed. All cuz I read some magazines...and learned Latin in the process, by the way the only Latin I know are flower names...LOL.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 28, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9221566

Kathy... in picture #5 is that a burgundy snapdragon? I love, love, love it... it's so pretty. Might you have some seeds to share?

I took these photos today in my garden... I'm fortunate that they are still alive with our temps now... but I mulched heavily and have been watering a lot.

Picture 1 = lillies
Picture 2 = phlox
Picture 3 = corkscrew vine

Love everyones photos by the way!

Nancy

Thumbnail by NF2932   Thumbnail by NF2932   Thumbnail by NF2932

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9221593

Sorry... no seeds at the moment. Seems like snaps last a year or two and then poof, those are the tall Rocket Series at 36" I did buy some this summer and need to get them into the ground, will collect some seeds this fall tho, ask later...Love those lillies.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 28, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9221862

They're gorgeous! I really love tall snaps and that color is so nice!!

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9221974

WOW Everyone! Love that you all got rain! We got some today...not sure how much but it rained steady for 8 hours...not too hard not too light...just right! My plants were so thirsty!

Kathy -- love the grow stand and all your beautiful flowers and I am thankful that you pointed me to this group...I'm having so much fun and expanding my gardens as well! And of course my knowledge!

I don't think datura will love it here in NH but I'd love some seeds...will send you a Dmail Cheermom for some seeds!

Anyone looking for angelina sedum? I have about 20 babies growing out there...and I still have purple emperor sedum babies...one/two are tagged for my friend Velma in the fall...let me know!

Can't believe we are almost to August!

DJ -- My trade is done for July...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9222738

I have both of the "Moonflowers". I had read the vine had fragrent flowers, so I planted one on my deck and made some latice out of string for it to climb up on. It is about 8' up the pole, but I haven't even seen the hint of a bud or bloom on it yet. If it doesn't bloom for me soon, don't know if I'll try again.

I love my Moonflower bush. Always have lots of babies to share with people in the spring.

My zinnia's that usually grow over the top of my deck railing are much shorter and not as many flowers as usual. I water and deadhead, but nothing beats mother nature's rain, which we have NONE of! Guess no one paid the water bill to her!

NF2932, I have tried...unsuccessfully... several times to grow the corkscrew vine. I think it is such a neat plant. Could I possibly get some seed from you and your instructions to grow them?

AK, I'd love to have some of the purple emporer sedum. I sent you a dmail, did you receive it?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9222900

Hey crit..I have a suggestion for you to try if you don't get buds soon...Have you thought about root prunning it, sometimes that can signal the plant that it's time to flower so it can set seed, it's whole purpose for existence...I have never done so I would be cautious and not get too close but do hit some of the roots, or could top prune, it might also work...

I got sent indoors as the rain gods came this afternoon, WOW, hope it lasts!!!!! Kathy

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9222910

Beautiful show of blooms!

Fine Gardening Magazine and Bluestone Perennials are both hard to beat in their own ways. Just when you think every catalog on the planet arrives in early January, the one I'm missing is Thompson and Morgan. Thought I'd save a few trees and instead have subscribed to their e-Newsletter.

Waving hi to you, Nancy :) Your Phlox looks very similar to one I'm growing named 'Laura'.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9222915

Fruity...do yourself a favor just for one year, I'm telling ya it's worth it and a very handy ref. guide. I keep mine close to the 'puter here, that way I have a handy ref. when needed...Kathy

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9222960

You're such a good enabler :) One photo up, what is the predominant mounding plant in the foreground on the left with purple blooms?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9222988

It's Lavendula angustifolia Munsted that I grew from seed, (located in the daughter's garden)...I think it's kinda reaching for the sun or needing a drink, normally is more upright, got whacked back and waiting for it to rebloom...

Pix...any guesses, it's about 8-10 feet tall...

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9223042

My e-Newsletter from Thompson and Morgan came with a surprise, a $5 gift certificate :)

I could be wrong but that looks like Daucus carota -- 'Queen Anne's Lace'. Around here they usually peak at 5' tall.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9223044

Nope...lol any other input from others before I say...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9223093

Keep the suspense going til somebody else besides me runs out of guesses!

I thought about Achillea but don't know of any that grow to 10' tall.

Is it Hogweed?

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

July 30, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9224069

Crit... I purchased the corkscrew vine this year as a plant... but I'd be happy to send you seeds once I have some... remind me if you think about it in the spring... you can always send me a dmail... -:) I hope to do the same... grow more of it from seed that is...

Hi Susan!! Still loving my butterfly house!! Nice to hear from you again!

Kathy... Is it orlaya grandiflora (minoan lace) ? it's lovely... I bet the butterflies love it!! Nancy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9224262

IT LOOKS LIKE A WHITE JACOBS LADDER THAT SMELL JUST SO DELIGHTFUL i had one never knew the name of it but when i moved it to another spot it died made me very sad . can you grow it from seeds ??? mine got about 6'tall.

just to wound up & cannot sleep tried to lay down but just could not so i got up did my dishes , gave my dog a bath, then myself a shower 7 now wide awake . so guess i will go read for awhile .

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9224477

I'm the worse guesser ever when it comes to plant ID! I would have guessed queen anne's lace too!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9224548

CheerMom, "Prunator" is too funny. My ex was always happy to mow down my purple shrimp plants and sweet potatoe vines. He couldn't understand why the plants always got so thick. He thought I was just and excellent gardener. LoL

I would guess Achillea on the mystery plant.

Kathy, can you name the plants in picture # 4 and if you offer the burgundy snap dragon seeds I would love to have some.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9225367

I have no idea, so will have to wait for the "unveiling" ! lol
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 31, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9225471

I guess - hemlock? Hogweed? I will go with Heracleum mantegaz-zianum.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9225601

If anyone wants seeds from my Datura, please send me a D-Mail with your address and "Datura Seeds" in the subject line. I have some now but will have hundreds more in the next week or so.

Sue G
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9225733

I bet you are correct Minnesippi. I just read about how harmful the sap from Hogweed can be...scary.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9226411

Lol... I just read up on it the other day tooo, oh my...( and I have four plants to get in (maybe the deer will get some and, well you know!!!! ) Lol..

Ok, no more suspense...Heracleum lehmannianum Giant Cow Parsnip, enormous umbells of white flowers open from pink buds. 72"^x60">. Pix was taken at a garden guru's (author of numerous books and former head of Denver Botanic Gardens), early summer garden tour. I'm thinking that's one of those you allow to grow and then cut back in the fall with heavy gloves.

NF2932...yes those are burgundy snaps, the Rocket series at 36", I just love them!!! Didn't grow any this year but bought some at the nursery this year, shucks , they are a red...Guess I better get some more seed...they last a few years and the poof.

Ali...YEAH!!! I'm so glad your having fun and so many goodies have made it your way...

Fruity... my daucus get up to 6-7 (almost 8ft for one). And yes, I'm thinking one of the common names is hogweed, the other is Giant Cow Parsley (acording to the tag that came with my plants...)

Diamond...on the above pix...From the top center clockwise: Wild sunflowers at 4-5ft., Daisies, Penstemon strictus Rocky Mountain Blue, unopened Catanche carules (Cupids Dart), Lavendula angustifolia Munstead, Veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue at 28", center is Malva fastigiada Party Girl. All grown from seed by my own 2 little hands, lol.

Minn...good guess!!!

and SUSIE...thinking of you and yours, hugs...Kathy

This message was edited Aug 1, 2012 5:26 PM

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 2, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9226834

YEA ME! :) lol!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America