Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How to care for a Snake Plant,

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yeye5
Hastings, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9171682

I was recently given a plant that was flowering in beautiful bright orange. At first I kept it inside but when I learned it is poisonous if ingested (and I have young animals here) I planted it outside in partial afternoon sun.
The plant wilted terrible so I dug it up and put it back in the pot it came in.
It seems it is in shock and drooping, flowers turning dark.
I believe I need to prune off the flowers.
Question: how do I prune this plant/take off the flowers that are done blooming?
Will it grow back in the winter if I prune it and keep it indoors in an afternoon sun window?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any insights and help :-)
yeye5
Hastings, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9171685

It is also called Sun Star and PlantFiles lists it as Ornithogalum dubium.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9171702

Anytime you're going to take an indoor plant and plant it outside, you need to adjust it gradually to the higher light levels outdoors. Real sunlight is way brighter than anything it gets indoors, so even if it is only in part sun it needs to be worked up to that gradually or else it can sunburn. Also, whenever you transplant something into the garden even if it's been properly adjusted to outdoor light, it can suffer transplant shock and planting during hot summer weather makes the shock even worse. Symptoms of sunburn typically take a little time to show up so most likely the wilting, etc that you're seeing is a result of transplant shock, but don't be surprised if you start to notice some bleached out areas on the leaves that eventually turn brown--that is sunburn. Since you've already dug it up, I'd probably keep it in the pot either on a shaded patio if you want it outside or else indoors again until you get cooler weather in the fall and can plant it outside.
yeye5
Hastings, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9175940

Thanks! You are totally right, of course :-) It wilted and drooped so I did bring it in. I heard that when the flowers were done blooming that I should remove them at the bottom so I did that. It looks like a sort of bulb style root so am I correct in that it will come back next year? (or even this summer/fall). Right now it is back on the kitchen window sill which gets afternoon sunlight.
I hope it flowers again!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America