-
AuthorContent
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9171683

I came upon a Gunnera manicata at Woodley's garden center in Columbia last week, and couldn't resist buying it. I'd appreciate advice concerning best sun exposure and moisture needs here in zone 8a. Also, if anyone has pics, I'd love to see your plant.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click the image for an enlarged view.

donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9176053

I'm afraid the Gunnera is more suited for the West coast I've found that most plants that thrive in the British isles and the Pacific NW can't handle our summers. I plan to plant it next Mar in a low lying area in dappled shade, but I'm afraid it's going to melt in next summer's heat.

I also contacted a DG member in Columbus, Ga, who planted one last Feb and it immediately died. Really hate the idea of wasting time and labor on a plant that will never thrive. Maybe it will grow enough to qualify as baby dinosaur food.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9178139

I tried one a few years ago and it croaked in about 2 months. It had morning sun and afternoon shade .. If you want something big then go for colocasia gigantea .. with a good water supply and in the ground, the leaves can get over 5 feet long .. I just happen to have some pups if you're interested.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9178435

Sounds like they're just not east coast plants - must pass this info on to the folks at Woodley's. I bought a dozen expensive bulbs - can't remember their names - from my local Ace hardware garden center last April, and they all turned out to be plain jane elephant ears. They were in bins side by side w/regular elephant ears, but the price for the more exotic bulbs was over twice the price. The leaves were supposed to be erect and quite large - sounds similar to your bulbs.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I told the garden dept manager that there was a mix up w/the bulbs,and she insisted they were not the common elephant ear. She said the shape of the bulbs in question was different and the bulbs were too long to be the common elephant ear. When I first returned down here, I bought many of the common elephant ear bulbs, and I know the bulbs vary in size and shape.

Bottom line, I will never buy anymore loose bulbs in bins from that store.

Thanks for your generous offer, MmeX. I'll contact you soon .

Forgot to mention buying an alocasia 'Sarian' from Woodley's. I assumed it was cold hardy in my zone, but according to DG plantfile page, they're only cold hardy to zone 9a.Do you know if this true? Thanks again!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2012 11:09 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America