Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Verticillium wilt . . . fatal?

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9172111

Well, I lost a viburnum last year to verticillium wilt and a viburnum doublefile mariesii early this year to the same disease. The other doublefile in the pictures attached is exhibiting the same symptoms, but not as bad: poor leafing out on some stems (see upper stems) and dark ring in the middle of cut stems. It's only affecting the upper stems of this guy, but - is it likely to spread? What can I do, if anything, to save it? It's about 20 feet from the doublefile that died. Two lilacs and a fringe tree in the same border are unaffected.

Should I take it out in the fall and plant something else, or wait and see?

Thumbnail by sherriseden   Thumbnail by sherriseden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9179237

Well, no one answered, but I took it down today. When I cut the large branches, the telltale brown streaks were all the way through the middle on every branch but one. This was his first year to bloom, too. Am I nutty? I actually feel a sort of grief.

: (

Will plant something resistant there in the fall.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9179373

My college arboriculture instructor said that in some cases it might be possible to push the shrub/tree with high nitrogen fertilizer to "outgrow" the disease. It works best in cases where the disease is detected and treated early. I'm sorry I didn't read your thread sooner. I have lost Japanese maples to verticillium wilt. The disease is in some areas of my yard and not others. Its maddeiing.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9179860

Yes, I found that, too - it was in one area where I lost one viburnum last year. I think I inadvertently spread it by throwing the diseased branches by our yard waste area which just happened to be by the border where this doublefile is. It's "twin" on the other end of the border where the branches were showed severe stress early this year, and I took it down. Now this one! I have two viburnums left, both healthy. Just hoping . . .

Thanks, Snapple!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America