-
AuthorContent
labchef
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9172232

I have couple jujube trees planted 3-4 years ago. I saw flowers every year but have never seen any fruits. I am not sure whether they are not ready to set fruits yet or they are the same cultivar - they do looks a little bit different but basically the same form - growing upright and have drooping small branches and leaves. The nursery sold me one as sherwood and the other one as Li. It will be easy to identify if they have fruits but they never set any fruit. The first two are the photos of the same tree and the last two are the same tree. Can anyone tell?

Thanks,

Kuan

Thumbnail by labchef   Thumbnail by labchef   Thumbnail by labchef   Thumbnail by labchef
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9172610

The first two are Sherwood. It has droopy leaves that make it look like it needs watering even when it does not.
Sherwood is notorious for not fruiting until it is older and then it fruit irradically.
Li is self-fertile and will fruit heavily without another variety.

You can try giving them a regular dose of fruit fertilizer and that will induce them to flower a second time if they already dropped their first flowers.

The most important thing about Jujube is that they get a minimum of 8 hours of sunlight a day.

Water them heavily once a week if it has not rained in over a week. Once they get larger, you will probably never need to water them unless you are trying to increase fruit production.
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9172809

They appear to be way too small for that many years in the ground.
Either they are not getting enough nutrients, the soil is extremely acid or they are only getting about four hours of sunlight per day.

labchef
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9173658

I think you are right on. The soil is typically Georgia red clay. I dug out about two feets diameter of red clay and replaced half of the dirt with miracle grow garden soil. I did not adjust the PH. I think the PH has eventually become very acidic. The tree is getting about six hours of sun light from 8:30 am to 2:30pm. The trees only receive the sun light sparsingly after 2:30pm. I will probably have to move the tree at least 30 feet to get enough sun light.

Thanks,

Kuan

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9182194

I am experiencing something similar--I have 2 Lang, 2 Li and 2 GA866 on a sunny fertile hilltop.They range from 4-6 feet in height. Two of the trees have produced before because they had fruit on them at the nursery. Although they flowered this year and last, no fruit formed. I applied "Tree Tone" organic fertilizer in the early spring. I am not sure why I don't get fruit. I am not giving up but it is frustrating.
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9182259

There are many things that can effect fruiting.
If a plant is in dense clay, it can cause it to have a lack of oxygen which is needed for fruit formation.
If it gets water-logged often, the same thing can happen.
If you give it a citrus fertilizer right now, it will flower again.
What concerns me is the size.
Jujube with ample sunlight should grow a few feet every year.
If you are not getting strong growth right now, try the fertilizer and watering more regularly if it hasnt rained recently and the ground is dry.
I always buy my Jujube bareroot instead of in a pot because they have a tendency to become rootbound in pots very quickly. This doesnt allow them to spread out their roots as quickly when planted.

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9183028

Thanks for your input Jujubetexas. They were in big pots when I got them but I did my best to spread the roots out when I planted them. They weren't all added at once but were over the past 2-1/2 years. Soil is good--and there was new growth this year. One tree got deer damage last year--I don't know if it was browsed but had broken branches. And the foliage looks really healthy. I think I am just being impatient--will put some citrus fertilizer on as you suggested and give them time.

Fortunately I have other treats in the garden to enjoy this year--serviceberries have come and gone (my first crop ever) but I have blueberries now--peaches are almost ripe--and apples and persimmons for later! And I got my first Cornus mas this year. One "cherry" on the whole tree--but it is a start. Looking to have Eden by the time I retire.

I need to learn to hunt because deer are my biggest obstacle.

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink   Thumbnail by passiflora_pink   Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Click an image for an enlarged view.

lablarry
Monroe, LA

February 3, 2013
6:30 AM

Post #9406722

Last year I made the mistake of using insecticide around my jujubes around flowering time and got zero jujubes. Ants and other insects pollinate jujubes so my theory is that I killed off the pollinators. This could be incorrect but its my theory.
ytnpham
Cut and Shoot, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9462025

I also have pampered jujubes that will not fruit. My soil is sandy and they get full sun. Every year they flowered and I would get all exited then disappointed when the fruit don't set. I have a friend whose trees are loaded every year. He told me he's not doing anything special with them. His trees are more mature so I guess patience is the key. I just adore the fruits. They're not cheap either. $2.99/lb at the Asian grocers when in season. Hopefully this year I will not have to buy them.
labchef
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2014
8:09 PM

Post #9925596

I transplant my two jujube trees since we moved in Jan, 2013. One of the two jujube trees finally sets fruits (7 in total). They are in full sun right now (almost twice as many hours of sun light compared to before).

Thumbnail by labchef
Click the image for an enlarged view.

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2014
5:05 AM

Post #9929949

Thanks for the update! I am still waiting.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America