I have a grape vine that is about 16 years old, last year I thought the drought killed it. I soon discovered that there is growth coming out of the bottom of the root system, I got to investigating further and noticed that something ( actually looks like a lightning strike) split the trunk. I don't know a lot about grapevines and luckily I managed to keep it alive and producing this long but I don't know quite how to cut the dead part and keep the living part alive so that it can grow back, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Well, it was supposed to be Thompson seedless. I bought two of them years ago at home depot, and planted them in my front yard. One died, and I was told that just one plant would not bear fruit. Oddly enough it did anyway and every year I had a bunch of grapes to give the neighbors. But they were not Thompson seedles, I'm quessing maybe some type of table grape. They are small, round and kinda tart. It has been a learning experience for I know nothing about growing grapes. I just don't know whether to cut it at the split, it is near the base where the new growth is, or should I leave it alone until the new part gets bigger.
I'm no expert but have inherited lots of wild & hybrid grapes on the property I bought a few years back. Your grapes are not wild ones though, they aren't really edible raw but delicious in jams or jellies (and I have a neighbor who makes wine with them). I think I would leave it until you're sure that the new growth is viable. Hopefully, a grape expert will chime in though!