Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: My poor Grapevine. any suggestions?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
texaslady62
DISH, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9172468

I have a grape vine that is about 16 years old, last year I thought the drought killed it. I soon discovered that there is growth coming out of the bottom of the root system, I got to investigating further and noticed that something ( actually looks like a lightning strike) split the trunk. I don't know a lot about grapevines and luckily I managed to keep it alive and producing this long but I don't know quite how to cut the dead part and keep the living part alive so that it can grow back, any suggestions will be appreciated.

texaslady62
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9172784

Is it a wild grape or a hybrid?
texaslady62
DISH, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9173108

Well, it was supposed to be Thompson seedless. I bought two of them years ago at home depot, and planted them in my front yard. One died, and I was told that just one plant would not bear fruit. Oddly enough it did anyway and every year I had a bunch of grapes to give the neighbors. But they were not Thompson seedles, I'm quessing maybe some type of table grape. They are small, round and kinda tart. It has been a learning experience for I know nothing about growing grapes. I just don't know whether to cut it at the split, it is near the base where the new growth is, or should I leave it alone until the new part gets bigger.
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9173660

I'm no expert but have inherited lots of wild & hybrid grapes on the property I bought a few years back. Your grapes are not wild ones though, they aren't really edible raw but delicious in jams or jellies (and I have a neighbor who makes wine with them). I think I would leave it until you're sure that the new growth is viable. Hopefully, a grape expert will chime in though!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9173916

Could you post a picture of the injury? it might be easier to tell what to do that way.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America