Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: SUMMER..What's happening in your neck of the woods???

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 186, Views: 1,032
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 20, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9172546

We moved from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1260821/

Here we are, is it not the first day of summer today, ahhh perhaps tomorrow

Storms blew in yesterday, thinking they are calling for same tomorrow..lordy Sailor hates thunder and lightning!!!

The weather forecast for today is 78 humidity and will feel like 91..thank goodness for a/c!

Not sure what I've done to my phlox but they have a blight, could be the watering then humidity..that they do not like..

Been tired, not that I have been doing much, which I haven't, been rather dizzy of late maybe that's why..both Monday and Tuesday night I've been dozing off/on on the chesterfield, wake and go to bed only to fall right back to sleep..the meds might be adding to my laziness..

Come hell or high water I MUST get a few projects sewn tonight and in the mail tomorrow

Yikes "M" not a great smell, poor Pipher and poor you!!

You sure have bit hit with rain..terrible the damage in your area..

This message was edited Jun 20, 2012 8:15 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9172554

Thanks for the move.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 20, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9173005

Thanks for 'movin us on over' Betty ..
Sorry to hear about your Phlox, but, I think your diagnosis is correct .. humidity may not be their friend ..
Re the dizziness .. do you think it could be 'heat related' .. if you take a blood pressure med being out in the heat is a juggling act at times.

The rain persists here, in buckets at time, and, accompanied by thunder .. BIG kabooms !! Poor Piper .. he has had so much stress in the last 24hours, he sure didn't need the thunder too.
Some secondary highways are closed here due to wash outs, and, 300 miles south of us in Duluth MN they are in bad shape with flooding and road closures. In fact, if you get to the border crossing near TBay, it's likely you will be turned back to Canada .. incredible ..

Attaching a pic of my Peony that bloomed a day or so ago .. was sure I had posted it on here, but think it was FaceBook ..

Take care everyone

~M~

PS .. Lorna found out today she has a tear in the meniscus of her right knee. She is being fast tracked for surgery on it .. it would be day surgery .. just worried about her having to come off her blood thiner .. life is always so interesting !!!

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 21, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9173875

Morning all, will prove to be another high temp day, we did ask for this when the snow was falling did we not?

"M" sorry to hear about Lorna's torn meniscus..my SIL who travels with me from time to time is bothered by much the same but they cannot do a thing for her..she wears a strap to help and cannot walk with ought it.
She will not this year be able to join us because of difficulty in walking and pain. Sure hooe they can help Lorna out and quickly.

My peony are all done, must deadhead..such beautiful flowers but they sure do die off quickly!

Guess with all the rain "M" you aren't able to work a lot in the gardens??

Just got in from watering and feeding back gardens, I sure do have a wild look out there.

Must ask, are your gardens manicured or English country?? I admire those who have the manicured look but i seem to keep planting so must like helter skelter.

Think I best get a move on

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9173892

Chuckling here Betty .. MANICURED is a bit of a stretch to describe my gardens .. mine are a bit WILD AND GNARLY right now, with all the rain it has been close to impossible to get into them and WEED them. The Crown Vetch (nasty little beggar) is literally MOCKING me as it encroaches on my perennials, wraps itself around them and pulls them down .. man .. NEVER will I EVER use horse maneur again .. that's where the weeds came from 4 or 5 years ago .. uphill battle between them and me since then.

Lorna is NOT happy re her knee .. all we can do is ask questions and become informed .. since it is the ONLY leg she has, it MUST be taken care of in a timely and efficient fashion .. and .. SAFE !!!

Off to get a haircut today .. my gardens are not the only thing looking 'wild and gnarly', my hair is pretty goofy and my granddaughters grade 8 grad is just around the corner.

Partly sunny here today .. may be more rain later on, had the dogs out around 6am .. have to say it felt like an October morning out there ..

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 21, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9174568

Betty - I would have to say my garden is pretty wild... not manicured at all, including my back yard which hasn't been mowed at all! I don't go there often, and no one else can see it, so I'm not worried...
I would like one of those English Herb gardens. They're planted so precisely, and I can't remember the name of the style of them, but it's a lot of work...

oooooooooh Lorna ... yes, timely and SAFE is the way we want to go.
M - do you want "The Ark" yet? I don't remember if you took it, or who has it...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 21, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9174690

No ARK required here, but 300 miles South of us in Duluth they could use a few .. Thunder Bays 'Sister City' in Minnesota is now in a state of emergency re flash flooding .. they got it worse than we did 2 weeks ago .. the pics are unreal !!

Hair is cut, I think I'll pass inspection now LoL

Has Carol's obit been in the paper in Calgary ?

Susan, I guess you get to meet Ann tomorrow ?

Best rattle some pots and pans ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 21, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9174702

I don't take the newspaper, but one of the elders in the Church said she'd be on the watch for the obit.

Yes, I'm going to her DH's aunt's memorial. Hope to have a bit of time to chat with Ann afterwards, but not sure what the family will be doing. It's not my intention to intrude, certainly, but hope we may be able to go for a short coffee time.

I just got some potentially Great News!!
Don't know if anyone here remembers me saying about how our roof is leaking, and it's caused by the shifting of the block, on the NE side of our mobile. The property is owned by the City, and we pay rent each month. I maintain that the property has caused the block to shift, and when I called. the Management Office for the property they (Gus) said this: "It's your responsibility to get the block reset/raised" and "You're going to be moving in 2 years - why not leave it the way it is?". Well, when our den ceiling is separating from the wall and therefore letting water in the wall (it's been raining a LOT lately - even bubbling up some of the drywall to 5 ft from the ceiling), I'm NOT a "happy camper".
About 3 weeks ago I sent an email to our Alderman's office outlining how I felt that, as the City is closing this park in a few years, the City is leaving the park get neglected. They will "shortly" be handing the reins over to another company to own it when the Park is moved to the other side of the city. A week and a half ago I got an email from our Alderman's assistant saying they are looking into this for us.
Now - here comes the GOOD part - I just got a call from Gus (City Property Manager for this Park), and he said they'd like to come out and see what's causing the mobile to shift, and will be bringing an independent person as well. They'll be taking pictures, etc.
All they need from us is to make sure there's access to the underside of the mobile at that point. The appointment is for Monday at 10am
YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

It would be nice if not only they determine the property shift is causing the moving of the block,and therefore the separation between wall and ceiling, but also fix the subsequent damage (and rot - which has been confirmed) to the roof and interior! Leaving this for much longer may mean we have no den. Frankly, we live 50% of our time in here, on the computers, or in the sewing area of the room LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 21, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9174872

That is potentially good news Susan, I'd be concerned about mold..who knows you might get major work done.

Did see that on the news and another rain front moving in I think.

I had to sto driving for about 1/2 hr, torrential rain, lightning and thunder and high winds..looking at the sky I'd say we are in for much the same, sky is darkening.

Did want to deadhead the hanging plants and try to revive a few lol but it will have to wait until tomorrow..

Didn't sleep well so hot bath, early night seems like the plan.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 21, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9174908

Betty - let the winds and rain deadhead AND water your hanging baskets lol It's the way I do mine!! (not really, but it Does sound like a good idea, albeit flawed ... lol )

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9175074

We are in Calgary. About 5:15 when we got the rental car, but we did an excursion in the airport because there is a shop that sells good slippers. Mine (London Fog which I though was a good name) have a rubbery plastic on the soles which is falling apart. So I bought a pair.

We went out for dinner - found a lovely restaurant which turned out to be connected to the Hyatt Hotel. Then were heading to the Bay to get a tie for DH - he forgot his, but we found Winners first and found a great tie inexpensively. He would never had gone into Winners if I hadn't been along.

There is a lunch following the service tomorrow and I don't know what other family commitments other than a dinner in the evening.

I've only been to Calgary a couple of times since DMIL died in 2001 and I can't remember the occasions. But I'm very impressed with the way Calgary has kept some of the character of its original city core.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 21, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9175187

lol on Winners!! Yes, London Fog is a good name for any clothing!
Whatever time you have to spend together, you and I Ann, will be wonderful!
I love some of Calgary's old heritage buildings, but they don't have that many - The Chamber Of Commerce is one, and Lougheed House is another. There used to be 7 mansions in Calgary, now however only one.
I would imagine Ottawa has a lot of heritage buildings, doesn't it?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 22, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9175439

Morning all, hoping humidity has broken and nothing but a sunny day! Working from home today so will be a leisurely day, got to love Friday's!

ViolaAnn, not the best of days for you but always nice to meet up with family members not seen in years. I've never had luck at Winners, always feel its for a younger generation.

Susan, wish deadheading was that easy. Lol
Hope all goes well for you on Monday morning. Would imagine the move lays heavy on your mind.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 22, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9175462

WHAT IS that bright YELLOW orb in the sky?? I do believe it's the SUN .. albeit a few clouds scudding by it, but, it looks as though it will be a banner day.

Glad you made it to Calgary Ann .. and I do so hope your day goes well.

I'm off to visit my Hospice client, and pick up dry cleaning ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 22, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9175588

Betty - we're going over to Nami's place on Saturday to help her sort through stuff she hasn't been able to sell, then I'm going over on Sunday to clean her place. Landlord won't come over until it's cleaned, and between now and then I'm going to be a bit busy. She will too, of course, as she's a music teacher. I just want to help her get started with her new life the best way I can. She's like a little sparrow - overwhelmed by all that's happening in her life. As she said "I've gotten so used to Calgary, and going back to Asia is scary". But, she'll have her Zachary with her, and that's a GOOD thing. I am so happy for them.

I'm really looking forward to meeting Ann, and hope I can find her at the memorial. Ann - I'll be the "odd one out that no one recognizes" LOL
Maybe I should wear a rose from my garden (grin)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 23, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9176875

So Susan, did you wear a Rose ^_^
Hope you were able to meet Ann.
Is your friend going to Asia 'by choice' .. must say it wouldn't be my first choice of places to go, but, some folks LOVE it .. with me it's the BUGS and creepy crawlies LoL

Looks to be a nice day here .. lotsa grass cutting and trimming to do, and laundry.
DGD was admitted to hospital last evening .. she has had a temp of 103F off and on for a week .. so, her doc just finally said into hosp you go .. my son says it's just for a 24 hour period .. to give her IV antibiotics .. all I know is Brooklyn must be frantic as her grade 8 grad is coming up on June 27th .. and she has a brand new outfit for it and is receiving an award .. here's hoping it's something fixable !!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend

~M~

Pic of Brooklyn and Smokey attached ^_^

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9176890

Morning,

Gorgeous weather here as well, like you "M" I'm waiting for the clock to move to 9am then will start cutting grass and trimming..bought a gas trimmer about 3 weeks ago and didn't use it, let's hope I can remember what Greg showed me.

ahh how right you are, Brooklyn must be frantic..wouldn't want to miss graduation for sure..what a gorgeous young woman she is..

How's Lorna making out?

With a bunch of Dg members arriving Thursday for 4 or 5 days we want a fire and the pit is full, perhaps that is something I can get done while neighbors sleep.. I'll burn and ashes should be ok to get rid of on Monday especially as it will rain tomorrow..

Odd to make myself do something than sitting here sipping coffee, listening to the crow, listening to sounds of the water features and admiring the gardens

Enjoy your day,,

Thoughts od Carol this morning

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9177164

Marilyn - yes, met Ann - forgot the rose in the car until afterwards, and of course it was wilted by then lol
yes, Nami's going by choice - her fiance lives there, and she's Japanese so she's familiar with it. She does say that she's nervous going but happy to be with Zach, and that she's gotten used to Calgary...
Her family, in Japan, say she Has to come see them!!
I told her she may not like it for the Tsunamis...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 23, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9177192

love will conquer all Susan, I'm sure she'll be happy but sorry you are losing a friend

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9177585

Killing time at Calgary airport. We had to be here quite early to return the rental car on time, but our flight is also delayed an hour, giving us about 3 hours to wait here. We had lunch with some good friends that we've met through DH's work and then dropped in on Violist this afternoon before heading to the airport. I was delighted to finally meet Theresa in person - she was far too busy when she was in Ottawa adjudicating at the Kiwanis Music Festival a couple of months ago.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 23, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9177946

Oh Ann! So good you met Theresa!! She's so much fun, and I really liked meeting her and seeing her garden (she called it a "work in progress" and had Such plans for it when I was there.

I'm back, after a very busy day of helping Nami pack, and try to sell things. She gave so many things to us, and tomorrow she's renting a truck (it's supposed to rain, and our open truck won't do - so she's getting a 14' closed truck) and Bob's going to put the remainder that doesn't sell in storage at our Church for awhile. Hopefully it will sell there... or on Kijiji or Craigslist where I posted ads.
She's so anxious about going to Malaysia - her fiancé Zachary only moved there 3 weeks ago, and doesn't have anything in the way of furniture or anything else (no linen, cooking implements... nothing!!)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 24, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9178076

Lordie Susan .. I sure do hope and pray that Nami is UP for this adventure, as Betty said .. 'LOVE conquers all' ..

Nice to hear about 'DGers' meeting one another ^_^

Things here remain in a state of semi turmoil :-(
Brooklyn is awaiting a CT Scan .. she remains in hospital and is looking so forlorn, of course, since it's a weekend, MANY depts are closed !!!
She is fretting re her grad on Wed. feel so bad for her, and hate watching my son having to go through this rough spot .. all comes along with being a parent though.

Going to a laundromat around 8am to re wash the clothing that never rinsed yesterday because my washing machine decided to call it quits .. again .. nobody works at Whirlpool on the weekend .. makes my blood pressure rise when I think about the inconvenience this is causing us.

Have yard work to do, hopefully 'get at it' later today before we go to the hospital ..

~M~

Pic of Ms B in her room ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 24, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9178104

Morning, rain is on its way, was hoping it would wait until later in the day but what it does is save me from watering gardens.

Poor Ms B, from the photo's she seems to take it in her stride, look at the smiles..am sure even if the findings meant she had to be in the hospital for a bit they would give her a pass for graduation would they not?

Susan, likely you will be tired and achy bones from all that physical labor..ouch..
Tomorrow is your bib day, so hoping the municipality sees they are at fault and repairs start immediately and not have to go through the municipal system.

Think I'd best put all the outdoor cushions/covers under the gazebo, can feel the rain

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 24, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9178963

Did you get the rain Betty? Happy to say we didn't .. but .. it was a cooler type of day .. had the windows all opened and aired the house out.

Bad experience at the laundromat first thing this morning .. takes ALL kinds to make this world of ours go around, too bad there are some with such thick heads and NO MANNERS whatsoever !!!!!
Suffice to say, we had to drive an extra 20k INTO the city to re wash the basket of wet laundry that came from KAPUT washer ..

Went for breakfast following and then to the hospital to see B. The doc came in, and he is promising her either a discharge, OR, a pass for her grad on Wednesday .. YAY .. she is so excited .. her temp remains elevated at times, the thinking is tonsillitis .. but .. CT Scan and Nuclear medicine tomorrow ..
Poor Austin, he's missing his big sister ..

Got more pruning done, and trimming .. AND, the DayLilies WILL bloom .. I had thought the deer had eaten the buds, looked really well today, and, there they were ^_^

Susan .. are you a hurtin unit today ?

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 24, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9179405

morning,

We had a steady light rain all day, gardens will be happy.
Had visitors off and on so couldn't get into much.

Laundromats, sorry your experience wasn't the best at the local one but you got to go for breakfast, saved you cooking.

Fantastic news about Ms B, am sure the doctor realized just how important her graduation is,,Noah graduates this evening!

Here's hoping her difficulty is nothing more serious than tonsillitis..easy fix right.

I have one daylilly on the side of the house in bloom, others in back gardens are in shade so likely won't bloom for a bit.

Been a long night, almost tempted to get up..makes for a long day though

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9180013

Nope, not hurting - feeling rather good to move my body this much, actually. Was a bit extra tired last night, but good now.
Waiting for City - they said 10am, then called at 9:15 and busy in meetings, so going to be 10:45. I told them I'd dock their pay by that much ROFL

Got an interview with suburban office of OfficeTeam - they're looking to place me in a position. Hope it's at least long term contract (1 year?!?!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 25, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9180022

Eventually you are going to hit on a job Susan.
Municipalities don't act fast, likely they will have to discuss and bring to a meeting before you get a real answer to yay/nay

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9180029

yup, I know that Betty - they need to check their budget, conceivability, their "wish list" of whether they "wish" to do it or not...etc etc

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 25, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9180445

Will be everso HAPPY when all the KABANG, KABOOM, SCREECH, BEEP BEEP BEEP is over with .. our Municipality got funding to fix the flood damage, and today is FIX UP day out on the road in front of our home .. it's a bit away, but, sounds like it's in the next room.

DGD is looking better, one more set of tests and they may SPRING her .. she's so happy about that ..
Me as well, I'm looking forward to the graduation more than her I think LoL

27C here today, with a lovely breeze ..

Off to put some chicken on the barbie

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 25, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9180844

"M"' I could almost turn the furnace on tonight..

Just got n from Noah's graduation..his class are now on the Miss Midland doing a night cruise..they are all wound up lol. If I get a chance later I will post a photo

Glad they got funding for the flood damage..will put contractors to work..they did not call for rain today but it did..won't have to water the gardens, me less thing to do..

Dg Sistah's start arriving Wednesday..really, gardens are done, I keep ontop of my housework so no work there..can't wait..yikes I'm so excited I was up just after 3am and didn't get to bed. I should be tired but am not

What is the verdict on your washer??

Right now I'm hungry, pork and bean sandwich ill have for supper, healthy meal right?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9180870

wow - a night cruise! I remember those on the Red River - very nice dinner/dance cruise.

Only thing good about floods is it gives some people work... surely nothing else is good about it. Hope no one has permanent damage to their homes...

I can "feel" your excitement through the screen Betty!!!
Never had a pork & bean sandwich - sounds like you'll need a lot of napkins lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 26, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9181415

I wish you SUNNY skies, and FRAGRANT breezes while your DG Sistahs visit Betty. I must say I would be MEGA excited as well !!
Heck, I was almost turned upside down excited with the GNOMES LoL
Enjoy the time shared.

Susan, Thunder Bay and s few outlying municipalities were deemed 'disaster areas' following the flood almost 3 weeks ago. So .. we got both Provincial and Federal funding .. out this way it is mostly the road washouts being repaired .. in the city it's repairs to homes, especially basements which got extensive damage from raw sewage backing up :-(
Now I see BC is having flooding problems in the SE .. really gives ya pause for thought !!

The cruise on the lake sounds perfect, something Noah and his classmates will remember always :-)

Never had a pork and bean sandwich, but, as I hear it, beans of any sort are good for ya ^_^

We ended up at Lorna's docs appt one day EARLY, so, will try again today .. jeeze, so many appts it seems .. at least it wasn't LATE.!

Hoping DGD is discharged today .. would make my day .. shoot, it'd make everyones day !!

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 26, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9181481

Morning, brrrr it's a chilly one, almost tempted to put the heat on here in the office..from one extreme to the other.

Sure hope "M" you didn't have a long drive to Lorna's appt. ahhhh too bad they could not have seen you a day early, perhaps doctor wasn't in?

Spit out my coffee laughing, excited about the gnomes..they were an important visitor in my neck of the woods as well, my kids thought I was off my rocker but even they participated and welcomed them..spend Christmas with me.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 26, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9181483

My little guy..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 26, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9181487

one more

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 26, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9181499

Just WONDERFUL pics Betty .. the resemblance between you and Noah is SO there !!!!
Beautiful ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 26, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9181660

Marilyn - yes, I remember you weren't able to get down your driveway for the flooding! and those pictures you posted... yikes!
One day early for appointment, and usually have to wait 2 hours past app't time - geeze, you were trying to "jump the line" eh? lol

Betty - Noah is surely Your DGS! The resemblance is uncanny! How wonderful that he had such a great Graduation. How was the cruise?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 26, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9181669

Didn't get to speak with him this morning..think Greg and the boys are dropping in later this evening, am sure they did

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 26, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9181673

Meant to mention, I've a photo when I get home to post..it's Noah's teacher, he did the graduation speach via a taped message..as it was being played he was having brain surgery. He was biking and fell a few weeks ago and when they did the tests, found an anerysm that could be fatal at any time..many of the students/parents had tears knowing that he wasn't there and listening to him via tape.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 26, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9181884

It's sad for the students - hope the aneurysm was found quickly enough and that they can do everything for it...
That's scary. Does he have family there?
I will pray for him, and the family.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 26, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9182181

Good heaven Betty. I do so hope the teacher you mentioned did well.
I would have been a basket case had I been there and one of the parents who knew him.
The school Brooklyn is graduating from was going to SKYPE the grad to her, but, as of 1pm this afternoon, she is OUT and doing well.
So, grad is tomorrow with a banquet for family following, then a BBQ Thursday at my son's home .. busy days.

Susan, even if the secretary had felt bad we were there a day early .. she kinda did .. the doc in question doesn't work Mondays.
So, we saw her today .. she is pleased that Lorna's shoulder is kind of 'status quo' .. and, i mentioned that Lorna was being referred to her hubby (also an orthopedic surgeon) for her knee. WELL .. she jumped right on that .. looked at Lorna's knee MRI .. said that there were 5 other XRays he always asks for, wrote Lorna a requisition for them, and, we think she might speed up the wait time for Lorna .. makes a body feel good to know there are actually CARING physicians out there ..

Weather here in one word .. 'GRAND' .. 27C with a light wind ..

Take care everyone .. trying to get used to NO posts from 'FancyVan'

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 26, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9182193

I don't know that it will be very soon that we'll get used to that... no posts from Carol, I mean...

SO glad that Lorna's Dr is speeding up the process... it can take ever-so-long to get app'ts for MRI, etc!
I know some caring physicians that I worked for - admin Drs to be sure, but they were those that held meetings specifically to address Wait Times for bloodwork, etc, etc. Charting when people usually came, and making sure there was enough staff for that coverage was one thing, adjusting hours of the clinic was another, and so on.
All facets of care rely on so many levels of physicians, so I'm pleased to say I worked with some really good ones!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 27, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9183205

Susan, nice to hear you had some nice and efficient physicians to work with .. in my career i have met some who should never have broached the profession.

Another hot semi humid day on the rise here .. waiting for the Whirlpool washer repairman who announced to me this morning he would be here between 2-5pm .. I told him we were leaving at 4:30pm .. he seemed miffed about that, but, my granddaughters grad happens ONCE in a lifetime .. whereas these laundry horrors have become part of my life ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mr Smokey got pillow therapy this morning at 5:15am .. he has a habit of wanting 'company' and purrs from room to room until he gets it .. quite the cat ... usually a strategically thrown soft pillow is enough to make him stop ..

Lorna is on her way out to do some trimming etc .. guess I'll tag along for a wee bit ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 27, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9183211

Is Lorna using the beast to do the trimming? That ride-em mower is huge!
Miffed repairman, eh? Well, he doesn't like to be held down to a time... wants LOTS of leeway when it comes to his work. Not fair to the rest of us who have (gasp) LIVES to live...
lol on Smokey - picturing his displeased look when he got "pillow therapy" lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 28, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9184505

POKER CHIP!!!!!!!!!! There was a blue plastic poker chip IN the washer motor!! Pooched the motor.
I have NO idea how that chip got in there .. we haven't played POKER from our set for OVER a year ... thank heavens for warranties ..

The grad went well .. have few pics as the place was so packed and busy, getting pics was difficult .. but, Murray did .. helps if your 6'5"
Bonfire BBQ at my sons tonight .. then tomorrow blessed rest !!! That is, if SMOKEY agrees LoL

Keep forgetting to remember it's a holiday weekend .. must get out and do some shopping ..

Off for lunch in a bit .. with my BFF who is leaving on July 3 to see her neice Jordan, graduate from the Royal Conservatory of Music in London England .. she studied VIOLA .. plays the instrument very well .. Jo tells me Prince Charles MAY give out the diplomas as he is one of the Patrons of the school .. all in all very exciting .. Jo is kind of not so happy re the length of time to be spent on the plane going over and coming back though.

Best boodle

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 28, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9184525

POKER? wow - that chip must have been working its way through the workings clogging worse and worse until it jammed tight!

6'5?! lol sounds like a female friend of ours - towers over Bob at his 6'3"! lol she likes to do the "Vulture" thing to me lol

Just got a call from the Agency, and the client wants me to start work on Tues, not tomorrow, and - am I related to Linda MacKenzie?! Nope, not... suppose that's someone that works there? dunno... lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 29, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9186544

GROAN ... heat wave time in NorthWestern Ontario !!
Lawsie .. temps in the 30s with an incredibly hot drying wind .. thought I'd NEVER say this again, but, we NEED rain!!

The party at my sons last evening was lovely, but marred by the arrival of blackflies and mosquitoes, even though we were in an enclosed gazebo, they still got in.
Am happy all the graduation fallderall is done with, my son and his wife certainly put in manyhours of planning.

Betty .. are your guests there yet .. I sure hope you have an awesome time ^_^

Susan, how's the job situation? Funny, I worked with a colleague by the name of Linda MacKenzie .. she lives in Arizona now though.

Am NEVER ever going to regret having had AC installed ..

TGIF everyone ... what are your CANADA DAY plans ??

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 29, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9186666

~M~ I start my job on Tuesday, not Friday as they originally asked for. Guess they forgot it was a long weekend, and maybe some people wanted to leave early LOL

Not really going to do much for Canada Day. Usually I decorate with hanging baskets - Red & White - from the eaves, but couldn't afford to really do much with both of us either new in a job, or not started yet. $$ was too tight.
We are going to our community hall "pub night" that happens every Friday night from 7pm to 1pm. I don't think it ever stays open that long though - us old folks "shut down" our systems a lot earlier than that LOL Usually stay until 10:30, then we give Doug a ride home ^_^

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9187264

I think I might ignore the festivities on the Hill here in Ottawa. Hard to get there. The streets are closed for blocks around. Might as well stay home and deal with the pile of mulch at the end of my driveway.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

June 30, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9187930

Not much happeneing here either. There are loads of events to go to around the city, but, with this heat who wants to.
I can stay at home and either putz with the gardens, or stay inside in the air conditioning.
The dogs prefer the latter ^_^

Whatever you do, enjoy and be safe~~

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9188223

Or maybe we will. OUR 2/3 of that pile are mostly used up. But I've still got other gardening that can be done.

Happy Canada Day to all of you.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9188438

Up and at'em on CANADA DAY !!
Seems the Crows/Blue Jays/Squirrels are ALL a buzz with 'noise' this morning !! Bothersome, but, nice at the same time.

An email friend sent me pics of the fires in Colorado .. good heavens .. what a horrifying situation there ! Devasatation everywhere .. our flood here in TBay was scary, but, these wild fires are 100 times as bad !!

Enjoy your day ^_^

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 1, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9188440

OOPS, I forgot to include the link re the Colorado fires ... here it is ..

Colorado Wildfire Photos: The Waldo Canyon Fire in Colorado SpringsPlog Photo Blog

~M~

Hmmmmm .. something tells me the link likely won't work :-(

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 6:33 AM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 1, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9189199

nope it won't work as a link, but sure can Google it!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 2, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9189539

Sorry bout that ... suffice to say I had seen bits and bats of pics of the fires, but this particular link showed at least 48 views .. terrifying ..

Survived CANADA DAY .. wasn't too difficult .. with the intense heat just sitting on the patio with a bevie was a chore LoL
The black bear came back last night (this morning) at 2am .. had thought the fireworks here bouts would have scared him off, but, NO!!
He hops into the dogs compound and just sits on his butt licking up SPENT balck oil seed .. so .. today we will get out the blower and scatter the seed off onto the other side of the fenced area and beyond .. keep thinking perhaps he'll get ZAPPPED by the electric fence around the veg garden, and, take off for good !!!

Hope everyone enjoyed has a good week

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9189575

oh my... a black bear? yikes!!

I hadn't seen any coverage of the fire until just now - thanks for bringing me up to date... I'm so bad for watching news. I hear the news at Church (when we pray for things that are happening around the world and in our corner of it) and HERE. That's it for me, for news, so I'm often out of the loop, but blissfully ignorant lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9189752

Morning all,

Happy Belated Canada Day..house sure feels empty since all my company has left..even the furries are out looking for someone to pat them, give them treats..

Will spend the morning doing all the bedding, give the rest of the place a lick and a spit of polish and call it a day.

I could not have asked for better weather..sunshine, breeze, just perfect!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9190202

I went over to Doug's place (78 yo man that Always has computer problems!!) this am. Told him next I'll have him find the boxes he bought the computer in, and return them to the store LOL
Seriously though, I installed a prog for him to transfer his tapes to CD and then came back to his place to show him again. Now today I came to install the program to do it because someone installed Win7 on his system, and he didn't have any programs installed or set up. THEN I showed him how to use the program AGAIN. This will be 3x and after the 2nd time I wrote down the instructions. I wrote down the instructions again today cuz he lost the last set of instructions. Bless his heart, he's a sweetie, but geeze... siiiiiiigh will do it again, should he ask...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 2, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9190511

Susan, I'm much like he is..have patience..our turn is coming lol

best of luck on your new job tomorrow!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9190639

Yes, I was saying to Bob tonight "I wonder, when we're in our 80's/90's what it is the younger generation is going to roll their eyes at us about..."
Thanks, re: job - getting all kinds of advice on route to get to work! I used to take the busiest route to work, in the city, and I think I can handle this very-busy-but-not-as-busy-as-Deerfoot-Trail route...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 3, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9190877

Good luck getting 'to and from' work Susan.
Lorna has a 9am docs appt and we will be 'in the thick' of our busy traffic time. Trust me, at 8:30am I think everyone in TBay is on the road. Keep alert, and, watch yer blind spot ^_^

MONDO thunder and lightening storm last night during the wee hours .. poor Piper .. he doesn't shake anymore, but he wants to be close to someone.
At least the bear stayed away !!

Off to put on some makeup .. since it's going to be 34C here today, it'll be a minimal amount !!

Cheers all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 3, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9190960

Morning all, just got into work and got a call that Suzanne has been ill with the flu all weekend...she started out but had to return home..just as well because I sure don't need to catch it.

Overcast here, possible showers..hope it does rain (can say that now that all my company has returned home), I neglected the gardens so it sure would do the gardens a favor if it rained.

"M", first trip in my new vehicle, checked out the mirrors and I've a big blind spot so will head to Canadian Tire at lunch and purchase those little round mirrors that give you more of a concave viewing so I don't end up into someone's car.

Brought my owners manual in so I could read up on what's what on all those knobs..will especially need to know how to open the gas tank cover lol first thing one should know

Good luck with Lorna's appointment

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 3, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9191478

WOW .. when did you get 'new wheels' Betty ? Good for you .. I hope you're enjoying you ride and most especially, figuring out the Owners Manual. I. too. have a MAJOR blind spot .. mine can pretty much be fixed if I putz around with the passenger side head rest, it's too high ..
You must find it a bit less hectic with all the guests gone.

The heat here in the NORTH has gone crazy the last few days, and for more days to come. Walking across a parking lot is enough to make you want to faint the heat and humidity are so high.
Global Warming is most certainly alive and well !!

Haute Cuisine for supper tonight .. "HOT DOGS' LoL, and salad ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 3, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9191487

Picked it up Wednesday night, only drove to Midland twice so the real test was today. "M" I've always had those toonie size concave mirrors put on the mirrors as to have NO blind spot, complete vision.

Light rain here, not really enough to wet the ground, just a misting but it is hot and humid, thankfully sun isn't out.

"M", I've leftover steak so won't be hard to cook tonight..likely I'll be in bed early

How did Lorna make out??

Susan, thinking of you at work, soooo hope all goes well

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 3, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9192013

1st day at new job was good - Boss asked me if I were coming back tomorrow! then she winked. I said "well, I don't know, you were so mean to me" I grinned, she did too lol
There's a lot to learn about the company & the things done in this job, but I'm up to it. Poking through files and things at the desk &have already found 2 different ways previous person was not organized and duplicated things unnecessarily - way behind on the filing of things. Plus, never kept written of computer documents of a meeting held June 14th - Agenda, but no Minutes...siiiiiigh. My poor boss - she didn't get the notes from my predecessor, & has little memory of what happened. No one should Ever rely on their memory for meeting minutes.

btw - only took me 20 min to get to work, and same getting home. Sure it was a bit bumper-to-bumper for about 5 minutes, but nada for trouble! I now know which lanes to be in and when, so it will be easier tomorrow, and also BTW - I got on the wrong roadway 1/2 way to work, and ended up going north instead of south on Crowchild, so spent about 5 min going wrong way and then getting corrected, so it would only have been a 15 min trip... not bad, eh?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9192140

Glad the first day went well, Susan and I hope it continues to work well for you.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 3, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9192268

Thank you ^_^

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 4, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9192350

Morning all, walked the gardens this morning and for the first time this year a sense of sadness that the clock is ticking and soon the gardens will be finished for yet another year!! Rushing things aren't I but I usually go by what has bloomed, what is in bloom and what is yet to come..

Phlox are just starting to open..

Viola Ann, how are your gardens this year?? When I had the gathering last week Joyce from Cincinnatti said she had 131 named hosta's..she is in the pond/flower tour this year and is thrilled...

Best I get a move on, still moving slowly

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9192372

Betty - I finally stayed home long enough to get in some mulch and the Canada Day weekend was spent spreading it - somewhat over 2 yards. Shared with a neighbour, but I think they used less than 1 yard; so I just charged them 25%. I'm up to about 180 varieties give or take some and counting some of my seedlings - have just finished putting up a series of threads on the hosta forum where all, even the losers, have been posted.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 4, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9192403

Hiya ..

Is anyone else getting a small 'pop up' on their computer with regards to Daves having a new 'Privacy Statement' to be read? I keep clicking on 'ask me later'.

Susan .. sounds as though work will be a challenge for a bit getting 'things' straightened up. Hope your ride in today is a better one.

My Hosta garden got devoured by either a discriminating bunny or gopher :-(
Looked at it on Sunday and was so pleased, went to water it Tuesday and saw nothing but 'nubs'.
Love country living, but, it does have its drawbacks.

Betty .. what kind of vehicle did you puchase .. I hope one that can carry LOTS of treasures ^_^

Doc visit yesterday was disappointing .. usually this fella is very 'up', but, I take it the first appt on the morning following a long weekend is not a good time for him .. his 'people skills' were lacking, very cut and dried re Lorna's knee .. ended up sending a referral on to an orthopedic surgeon, didn't really address the problems she is encountering with her prosthesis .. I would like to see her sent to Sunnybrook for a second opinion, he says we have to take it up with the prosthetist she goes to here .. sigh .. we don't want to do that so, we will keep on keepin on ..

Going to be another 35C + day ... staying home and making up dog food packets ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 4, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9192461

OMG ViolaAnn, will have to tell Joyce to go have a look,she has a love for hosta's
tremendous amound of work keeping a garden isn't it!! I bought red mulch for the secret garden this year and front gardens..think I used up about 15 green garbage bags..next year I'll find a trailer to pick it up..they charge $5.00 a bag so not really sure how much that would have given me...black mulch looks nice in the gardens as well...

Sorry "M" to hear about the doctor's appointment. I'm with you, Sunnybrook would be the place for her. Roger had his spine operation at Sunnybrook, I was really impressed with it...guess partly because the likelyhood of his never walking again, ended up walking so VERY/VERY impressed.

Remember the young man in the same room, he was mid 20's, could not hear or speak, joined a hockey league and ended up a quadrapoligic (?) I just didn't know how someone could cope as he couldn't do anything

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9192945

Betty, send her this link - http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Hostas-in-my-garden-A-B/7617361_qL3gHS

That's my SmugMug gallery or the first one where I've been tracking the progress of my hostas since 2008. I've not yet updated it for 2012 - that will likely happen in August - but it has all my hostas through last year and if she checks back later, she'll see the new ones.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 4, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9192953

I'm sure she will really appreciate it ViolaAnn, thanks

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 4, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9193465

tired, not a great day for me - Baby was euthanized, and I may not be at this job (even as a temp) as long as I thought... going day to day.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 5, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9193544

Good morning, record breaking temps in my neck of the woods! We did ask for this if I remember during blizzard days??

Susan, sending hugs...

Omg why so short a time, thought it was for 6 months and possibility of full time employment.

I'd be so discouraged, starting all these jobs with no full time employment in the offering!

Think I should go water the gardens,modest take long in this heat to kill them

Gab later

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 5, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9193776

Ohmigosh Susan .. 'speed reader' that I am (to a point), I thought Baby said BOB !!!
Please accept my condolences .. such a crappy time in your life when that happens.

Hotter than a 2 bit pistol here AGAIN .. PLUS .. we have a DAYTIME bear problem .. just had a young woman bang on our back door, she had been jogging with her dog (in this heat) and a bear had come out of our bushes .. he scared the bejeebers out of her, I drove her home and have AGAIN called the 'Bear Hotline' .. course, Gord isn't here, I drove him to emerg at 8am .. he has a very sore L knee ..old firefighting injury .. our doc is away til August .. never did phone Gord with the results of the MRI he had in May .. so .. he said he was going to go and sit in the emerg and be seen !! Suffice to say 'things' are a bit tense in the Stephenson home right now ..

Betty, we seem to get even and early morning rains .. so .. have been off the hook re watering .. got 2/10 of an inch last night

Stay tuned for updates LoL

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 5, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9193796

"M" sorry to hear about Gord's knee problems, drats, hate it when they say 'if you don't hear from us all is ok' lordy what if the misplace the file and something is wrong???? hopefully he won't be there all day.

Bears are getting pretty brazen aren't they..poor lady, likely she'll not go out jogging for awhile.

Tuesday we had a heavy rainfall on my way home but just outside Barrie to outside Coldwater, never did make my area. Felt like a rain storm might move in, moved chair and plant so Sailor coudn't make her way behind the dresser and boom there goes my stained glass lamp but once I did all this I listened to the weather report and we aren't suppose to get rain for the next week!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 5, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9194151

UPDATE ..

Gord had an XRay of his left knee .. seems he has NO meniscus left on one side (the meniscus is kind of like the 'shock absorber of the knee) .. he had a cortisone shot and came home feeling pretty good, with an advisory from the ER doc that TODAY it'll feel fine, but, the 2 days following he'll be having some pain issues.
Picked him by 11am .. pretty reasonable timing for emerg ..

Called both MPPs offices here re the bear problem .. I swear, the people answering the calls read the standard answer from a sheet !!
I cannot seem to impress upon them, the fact that calling 911 in a RURAL area will get me help in MAYBE an hour if the ONE officer we have is at another call. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ..
Just going to have to be extra vigilant ..

Betty .. sorry to hear about the lamp :-(
We're still sweltering here .. walking across Tim Horton's parking lot to go for COFFEE (in this heat) was agonizing ..

Made a strawberry pie .. new dough recipe, looks awesome .. hope it tastes OK ..
Strawberries are in full swing here.

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 5, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9194841

Hi all - feeling better today... I keep looking for Baby, but it's not to be.

As for my job, I'm apparently impressing my boss, Darla. I'm "catching" things she's missing, and researching the network to get stuff done quicker than she expects (have to search, when she says "it's on the H drive" and I don't know which of the hundreds of folders what I want is in...), and doing things she hasn't asked me to do (wants me to do #1, #2, #3, #4, but forgets about #5 and when I do it, she's very pleased). I like to "dig around" and find out stuff that someone assumes I know... but I get the info and move on with doing what I'm asked to do (with minimal direction).

Also - posted this some other DG room but it bears repeating...
Something nice happened to us yesterday.
Some of you will remember my "fight" with the City to get our mobile levelled BY the City... they were saying it wasn't their fault our mobile's blocks were twisting, and "(we're) moving it in 2 years anyway, why not wait?!)
Our den's ceiling and walls were separating from each other and water was getting in behind the drywall, our bedroom was off level, etc, etc.
Well... the City came by yesterday am while both Bob & I were at work, and They Levelled The Mobile! Bob checked underneath, and the pillons that were twisted are now straight, the ceiling and wall at one side of the den (where they were separating) have almost closed the gap, and the bedroom is now on the level (my dresser is level, for sure!).
Now Bob is going to tear down the one wall in our den and replace the (now wet) insulation and drywall, and replace it with plywood and screw it to the beams and ceiling. This will make it more secure and get rid of the wet stuff.
They have NOT contacted us to pay for the work. They'd said, beforehand, that if it were the City's issue they'd pay. If it were our issue, they'd let us know and we'd have to make arrangements with the company to have it fixed and pay for it. We never signed off to have the work done, and the City hasn't contacted us, so I guess it was on "their dime"! All I can say is "Yaaaaaaaaaaay!" and "it's about time our place is levelled!!"
I'm so pleased that I'm going to get in touch with our alderman and thank him, and the City. After all, when Thanks are due, they should be given, right? I'm just sorry for those others who aren't "squeaky wheels" like I am LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 6, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9195002

Susan .. great news on the levelling issue .. and, YES, the 'squeaky wheel, does get the grease .. been there done that!! Right now MY 'squeaky wheel is this BEAR IN THE WOODS issue .. it's plain and simply a SAFETY issue .. were it to pop out in front of (or behind me) I do believe I might perhpas have the gumption to scare it off, or, at least attemp an escape .. however, if it came out in an area where children were playing .. well .. best NOT to think about that .. but .. I can't help BUT think about it !! So .. I will continue to push the envelope.

Sounds as though your new position is a challenging one in an interesting way Susan .. enjoy !!

Cloudy here at the moment, and, rain is anticipated ... YAY .. we hit I believe almost 40C with the humidex yesterday .. I see Toronto had a blackout :-(

Nothing much on the agenda for today .. finally !!

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 6, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9195016

Morning all...

Imagine, I slept in..soon going to call me lazybones! Lol

Much the same weather for us today, I've closed all the curtains, have air on, sewing machine out so will play downstairs seeing its much cooler and I must be close to the telephone.

Send me some of your rain "M"' was out watering the gardens this morning..sure soaks it up being dry as it is, the entire region has a fire ban on!

Yes, large area without power, nothing as bad as Washington D.C. We've sent over 200 of hydro employees to help them restore power..think it's been since last weekend with no power..not sure how they can cope.

Susan, let's hope you are kept on and hurrahhhh for the municipality for fixing the founfpdation supports.

Off for breakfast

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 6, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9195776

yes, hurrah for them fixing our levelling issue!!

The job I'm in is very tenuous at best, so have no idea what to expect as to length of employment. We shall see... perhaps the prayer fire is helping? Dunno... :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 7, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9196160

Looks as though it's going to be a beauty day here in TBay. Yesterday we had a much appreciated BREAK from the heat, and, the gardens got a free watering.
If the humidity stays away we are looking at 26C .. just right for doing some outside chores.

Have hit a brick wall on the Black Bear issue, so, we are trying our best to keep ourselves NOISY outside .. Lorna is OK in the riding mower, but, none of us goes out without a call phone or a "rape whistle' .. it's not like the Bears automatically appear when we're outside, they tend to avoid contact with humans, but, if we're being quiet, such as weeding a garden etc, they have no idea we're there. Still and al, I find it rather unsettling.

Sorry to hear about the tenuous situation re your job Susan, I guess all you can do is 'soldier on' ...

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 7, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9196189

Morning all,

you must have sent the free watering my way "M"' was a light mist earlier this morning then a good heavy rain..maybe humidity is at an end.

You would indeed have to be noisy, would imagine with the heat most of the berries have dried out, grubs limited so will be looking for food, we don't want it to be you!

Have some sewing projects to get done so best I get at it..

Enjoy the day

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 7, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9196719

Marilyn - wear a "bear bell" on you when you're out and about. should be a loud one, so if you're by yourself and/or quiet, it'll still ring when you move.
Check out this site:
http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/B_housesafe.html

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 9, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9198598

Happy MONDAY everyone, hoping this week will be a good one for all of you.

Busy weekend here, lots of events taking place in Thunder Bay .. hmmm .. must be summer LoL.
NO bear troubles for the last few days, am hoping he has decided to look for 'greener pastures'.

Off to a conference /'Focus Group' today .. re Hospice and Palliative Care .. I think it'll be interesting.

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 9, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9198861

Morning

Perfect day yesterday and another today..mid 70's and gorgeous breeze. They do say perhaps thunderstorm later today but just incase we don't did grass watering yesterday and early this morning..doesn't take long to turn yellow does it.

Glad the bears aren't being a pest. Usually we hear of a lot of sighting but haven't heard anything..still early though..we deed have moose walking down the roadway last week a few streets from me.

Enjoy your day

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 9, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9199470

91F here - has been for a few days.
With serving pancakes on Saturday, outside for 4 hours, at our Community Center's Stampede BBQ, and then on Sunday BBQing hamburgers for 2 hours outside, I'm wilting...

Today work got evacuated cuz the power went off for more than 10 min - company policy... - and when they said it would be 1 hour before the power was restored (then we'd be back for 3/4 of an hour?), and we'd have to wait outside, in the heat and paved parking lot...NOT Moi!! I went and got an oil change, then came home by 3:30

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 9, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9199637

Did they miss you while you went AWOL!

Didn't take you long to go from low temps to high temps..
You must be volunteered out

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 9, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9199686

I am a bit volunteered out, but I may go to another Stampede BBQ after our church service next Sunday. One of our "fellow churches" is having Their Stampede BBQ next Sunday.

How could they miss me? The Chief Fire Warden at work got on the bullhorn and told everyone it was better to go than to stay and wait outside for an hour. We would only have 3/4 of a hour's work we could do afterwards, and I know I would have melted by then!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 10, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9199995

Susan .. having had those kinds of temps for awhile now, all I can say is UGGGGggggggg .. we looked forward to them all winter, but, when they come on with a vengence our bodies just can't handle the change, ESPECIALLY when in a parking lot .. TBay has had a day of 'seasonable' temps, and we are expecting another heat wave to commence on Thursday.

Lots of coverage in our news re the Stampede .. I went once many years ago .. so many people .. nice to see your 'groups' are benefiting from the event .. I'm going to be volunteering at a Hospice 'tag day' July 28th .. am hoping the heat will have toned down a bit by then.

Hope everyone has a great day ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 10, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9200952

Hiya ~M~! When I got to work today, I was told the brownout only lasted 15 minutes... so I lost 1 1/2 hrs pay, oh well...!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 11, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9201257

Morning all, now this is the kind of weather we've all been waiting for..perfect day..no humidity but understand by the weekend the humidity will be back!

So quiet at work that I almost dread going in..makes for a long day..looked around to see what I might be able to bring in but nothing light and simple so sit it will be.

Oh no, we're they wondering where you got off to Susan?? Know when we've had to evacuate for different reasons it was always a must that we stay onsite.

"m" how is Lorna doing?

Looking at the clock, best I get a move on

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 11, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9201275

Good morning .. kinda cruddy to dock you 1.5 hours because you sort of HAD to stay out of the building .. seems to me going back in after the time spent outside would have been a waste anyway .. sometimes the time it takes for computers to re boot and come back online takes more than a few minutes ..

Lorna is doing well (ish) .. still awaiting her appt with the orthopedic surgeon re her right knee .. she got a letter yesterday informing her she would have to see a physiotherapist prior to the appt to ensure she actually NEEDS to see a surgeon. I find that rather silly as she has had 2 MRIs and a 2 sets of x-rays that show a torn meniscus. I guess we should just be happy she can get around with little discomfort. She certainly is a trooper.

Looks to be a lovely day here .. off to town to do some grocery shopping.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 11, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9201411

"M" think in order to appease the ill they keep referring from doctor to doctor so you don't feel it's been forever! What a waste of time and $$$..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 11, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9201797

Betty, our Canadian Health Care System is in real trouble .. I think that when you are not a consumer of it's services you rarely think about it, and, when you become a consumer you start to relaize the HUGE amount of 'paper pushing' that goes on .. and .. the ineffectiveness of most of it.
I went to a Conference the other day .. it was headed by 3 Professors of BUSINESS from our University. Basically they were interested in learning the thoughts of health care providers on the proper MARKETING strategies for making the public more aware, and educated, re Palliative Care. Kind of odd to see business working with Health Care, but, it is BIG BUSINESS ...
Anyway .. today was a good day .. Lorna is gaining more confidence re walking with her prosthetic leg .. and, her knee wasn't giving her grief.

It's 34C here .. gag me .. happy to be in the AC

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 11, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9202096

Betty - each 1/2 floor has a fire warden, and ours knew all those that were leaving, and those that were staying. She left.
It was too hot to be outside for an hour...!!

My car's thermostat said it was 34c when I left work today, and it's pretty accurate. It may say 32c on the TV, but that depends where you are in the city...

Our internet provider is also our phone provider, and they had a fire in one of their transformers this afternoon - causing us to lose internet & phone for a bit. Then the internet came back (that's when I last posted) but our phone didn't - Bob was under the desk trying to get it sorted... Well, we have our phone back, and the cables are all sorted again - drives him nuts, but I think we have cable gremlins!! I don't do anything with the cables, but everytime he has to get the phone or 'net back up, they're all tangled again!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 12, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9202389

Cable Gremlins', I think we all have them to some degree. Whenever our desktop computer went out for repairs, the homecoming was fraught with re hitching nightmares !! Makes you wonder how those lines get so confused.

We hit 36C here yesterday, very uncomfortable .. same expected today and I am on my way to a dental appt at 2pm. A filling, but, I am taking a little something prior to the procedure. I have had enough dental work to keep me quite paniced this year .. hate that feeling.

We're selling our old 22' travel trailer .. Murray and wife Alison came over yesterday and cleaned it out for us .. I had thought it was pretty much empty, but, it wasn't. Anyway .. Murray took some pics, and put it on Kijiji .. and, by 7pm I had had several calls .. so we'll have to see how it works out.

Have a great day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 12, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9202451

Morning all, for any of those who took vacation weeks the past few and for next week they sure hit great weather..Jeff/Julie are doing their annual Kayak trip starting Saturday morning, looks as though they will have great weather!

Watering ban still on, was up early and put hose on to water all the hanging baskets..put too much $$ into them to let them die and the trip in and out to fill a watering jug is too much. A quick thunderstorm would be greatly appreciated, perhaps over the weekend.

Ohhh "M", wouldn't it be a good time to go camping?? I bought that little travel trailer and NEVER used it, almost tempted to do the same..no sense letting it rot right? Let's hope by tonight someone picks it up and will be off enjoying it this weekend.

Here's hoping your appointment with the dentist goes well..

Drats and more drats..this morning was rushing to get out to the car, hands full, Sailor was sound asleep so I thought I'd quietly climb over her and what do I do?? startle her, up she came, I didn't want to hurt her so fell into the table, think I sprained a few toes as well as one being cut so now I'm hobbling around..and I talk about my mom and her dog, first thing I did was call myself stupid and Fran...

Sure do miss Carol..

Susan, hope you get asked to lunch today..would be nice to make friends..

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 7:55 AM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9202516

We're heading back into the heat and are about to get a watering ban as well.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 12, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9202761

ViolaAnn, I can take the burning ban but the water ban isn't easy..not sure but think they are calling for a passing thunderstorm over the weekend, perhaps it will head your way! Hosta's seem to take the dry weather..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 12, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9202958

Woo Hoo .. the dental appt was a breeze .. the med i took beforehand worked very well ..don't have to go back for 6 months ^_^

The 'bans' are slowly creeping in here .. nothing full tilt yet .. but the mention of forest fires in the region is becoming more pronounced.

Think I had mentioend my Hosta bed became a bunny's breakfast .. very disappointing .. it's slowly coming back, but doubt it'll make a full recovery.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 12, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9203009

Glad all went well! They will come back next spring though wont they?

Think someone was saying unless we have three consecutive days with some rain the band will remain.

Think I'm going to make changes to my flower beds come fall..quite the mush mash right now.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 12, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9203164

SO glad your dental app't went well, Marilyn!!!

Bunny fodder, eh? too bad... Have you ever seen a product called "paws off"

I may be able to become friends with the "other" MacKenzie lady in our office...
NOW - mentioning that "other' MacKenzie - here's a funny for ya! 1. She & I spell our last name the same (NOT McKenzie - don't forget, we need the "a" eh?! LOL) 2. She lived in Winnipeg same time as I, 3. Is a MacKenzie by marriage. 4. Works about 10 ft from me and is also an EA (Executive Assistant) 5. born in the same decade. Here's the "kicker" - 6. her middle name is Joan, same as mine!! Talk about coincidences!!! She & I are both flabbergasted by this!! Dare I say we're both brunettes? LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9203392

I hope that thunder storm gets here. Not sure they are predicting any. Rain barrels are getting empty though mine will go awhile longer. No official watering ban yet; so I've been watering all day which should keep things going for awhile longer. Hostas actually need quite a bit of water. They will survive w/o rain, but might be smaller next year.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 12, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9203400

I hope you get that thunder storm too, Viola - with loads of soaking rain for gardeners!
Seeing you just reminded me - I haven't stopped in on the Parking Lot for quite awhile - guess it "dropped off my radar"!!

Here's something I learned just now - Canada's Most Beautifully Built City:
http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20120604-canadas-most-beautifully-built-city?Canada%3Fs%20most%20beautifully%20built%20city&OCID=us_travel_ppc_outbrain&ocid=us_travel-passport_ppc_outbrain

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 13, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9203600

Susan .. that's quite the coincidence .. as is said ..'small world' !

Gord just informed me that the Willow I planted some 3 years ago, and that I removed the chicken wire cage from last month, has also become 'deer munchies' .. NOW I am just plain furious !!! My spin on the chicken wire caging around the trees is not the same as his .. I say, and feel that they trees and shrubs cannot flourish inside that caging .. remove it and what will be will be .. I guess I found out what the WILL BE is :-(
Dang critters ...
The DayLillies are out now and I am guarding them as much as possible .. deer SCRAM coming up ...

Off to a lab with Lorna for her bloodwork .. then on to the licensing place to get her license renewed .. her BDay is in August .. seems license fees are going up in Sept. My BDay is in Oct., so I may try to renew mine as well even though I haven't got the forms.

Missing Carol's posts ..

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 13, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9203635

Morning all, another gorgeous day, watered the hanging baskets, many throughout the yard, few of the brown spots on the lawn and was enjoying being a bit chilly..am sure I should be putting air on but it feels so nice to have the windows open!

Guess with so much acreage and being in far north with little food in the forest, critters see your yard as a prime buffet..not so good for the tree.

Enjoy your morning out, here is hoping you will save more dollars than you spend, is that possible?

Touch wood "M" no critters here this year, only thing different is the increased population of blackbirds, Lordy they are a size!

ViolaAnn, hard to believe that we could get thunderstorms with such blue sky. My hosta's are large this year, few smaller ones but guess they may be a smaller breed.

I'm all gung ho to revamp the gardens this fall while I know where what is.

Not much planned for the weekend, relaxing for sure. Jeff and Julie will be leaving here tomorrow morning for their 3 week Kayak trip,then take Sailor in for her monthly grooming ( somebody should be taking me for a grooming as I'm in need of pampering) lol

Might help SIL Suzanne finish a stained glass lamp she started 5 years ago for her sister's 60th and now it's her 65th, always wanting to do it but never enough time so I'll see if I can do it..would also like to take on another major project as a Christmas gift, always gets here before we know it so I don't want to leave it like I did last year, work day enough then get sick and not be able to travel over Christmas holidays. That's my plan but plans can change.

Been playing the nice grandma with Kyle..he will be going for his G2 at the end of month and needs driving time, last night when he dropped in I said I could do with an ice cream sundae..drove me into Midland then we washed the car, there went the evening and he was thrilled as he left for home..no doubt he wil be back a few times over the weekend.

Breakft time

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9203834

Betty - if you had a lot of rain last year, that helps THIS year's hostas to be large. And yes, they come in all sizes; so your smaller ones might be smaller varieties. Do you know what they are?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 13, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9203886

I'm the worse Viloa Ann, only one I took notice of is the blue gourd cup hosta I bought thus year, the rest normally come from trades ot church plant sales..the 2 near my back steps are quite a size..even though there is. Band I usually give them a little drink..maybe I'll make it a garden goal for next year, try to find out their names..bought a journal and promise myself I will shortly sketch the gardens, mark which plants are where so that come sprung I can do some major revamping of the gardens..such a mush mash right now but a pretty one. Lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 13, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9204151

O K A Y !!!!!!! UNCLE !!!!!!!!!! Phew .. another hot/humid day in TBay. Feel SO bad for the folks working out in this .. as a Canadian, I know it's '6 months of winter, and, 6 months of road construction .. and this area is no exception. Drove by a crew working at laying asphalt and the sweat was just streaming down their faces .. not to mention the flag persons who, even though they are mostly stationery, must stand in that sun.

Bought a bath mat for the main bathroom, and, I'm having second thoughts .. it's by Nautica, quite a heavy mat and the salesperson told me it would not 'slip' because of its weight .. there is no NON slip backing on it. She said if it did slip, I could bring it back. Well .. I think I'll put it somewhere else. Looks nice, but I am too leery re Lorna slipping on it .. I stood on it and was able to move it about :-(
Typical me, bought for the COLOUR LoL

Am hoping to do some perennial planting as the summer goes on .. my hip just MIGHT be coming around (I whisper types that comment)
Has had me in its evil clutches since November .. bout time it gave me a break !!

Hope everyone has a beautiful weekend .. Betty, the though of my GDD DRIVING with me SCARES me half to death LoL She still has a couple of years to go though.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 13, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9204172

Kyle is a great driver,I'm probably safer with him than me driving.Lol

Is your decor nautical throughout the house "m"? Best not take any chances, imagine how you would feel if she did slip..Lots of sales going on..I was at the mall yesterday, had pillows that matched the quilt I bought to a "t"' regular $24.99 on gor $5 each!bargoon and dresses up the back bedroom.

I thought if temps were a certain temp (like we have now) companies would have to send their employee's home..lucky there aren't more deaths due to heat exhaustion.

Being last, just laying on the couch, should be out fitting the grass but it's burning, might be better to eave it longer until we get rain!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 14, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9204719

ANOTHER scorcher!! Was up early to make a pie and cook it before the MAJOR heat of the day arrives. Air is already on and, it's set to come on when the inside temp hits 71F (20C).
Lorna is going out on her machine to cut the grass, she LOVES the heat .. I will attempt some watering .. Gord is off to the huge Farmer's Market ..
As always the 'BUZZ' words in this District are 'FOREST FIRE WATCHES' seems we have about 15 burning in the area, none near us, but most everyone is being vigilant re bonfires etc. I expect a Fire Ban will be in effect soon, may already be.

Read an article in our paper about the folks working outdoors in the heat. They are told to slow down the pace, take breaks and drink lots of fluids. The Emerg has had a few incidences of heat stroke come through their doors ..

Bring on the rain ... LOL .. after a flood in May I NEVER thought I'd say THAT !!

^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 14, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9204948

Marilyn - I hope you get rain soon. Doesn't look like it's in the forecast however.
Apparently there are a whole bunch of forest fires up north in Alberta... Some areas of Calgary are getting the smoky haze, and I can only wonder how Edmonton is doing (4 hours north of us)! The fires are north of Edmonton...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 14, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9205174

Afternoon..much too hot to be outside..got Sailor groomed, drove Jeff and Julie to the lake to start their kayak adventure 2012! Did deadhead for a bit, playing with stained glass and contemplating going out for supper"that is providing the couch doesnt call!

Area starting to look like hayfields..Lordy no wonder they have a fire ban,.what damage a fire would do.

Hope fires stay far from your area "m" ' must be a worry..no in between, always feast or famine..we need a day of soft rain..hate having my grass not cut but leaving it might stop it from burning.

Susan, let's hope they get Edmonton fires under control quickly.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 14, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9205270

We had a band of Thunder storms fly through a bit ago .. it's 36C right now and SO HUMID!! Gag me !!
Another line of storms is coming in from the west .. looks like we'll get away with not having to water tonight .. just SO hope there is NO lightning !!

Yer right on with 'feast or famine' Betty ... never a happy mix it seems

Hope Julie and Jeff have a good trip. Will they do the locks again ?

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 14, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9205329

yes, doing the lock system but they are not going by a schedule this year, will just play, stop when they want to, see a bit of the towns on the Trent..

Where they said rain tomorrow it's been changed..drats so looked forward to rain..if you've too much water send some down my way..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 14, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9205520

we had "70% chance of rain" today... yeah, sprinkled for a few minutes (2?) then stopped. hardly touched the ground and it dried up!! Bob Didn't do some work on our friend's roof because it was supposed to rain hard (thunderstorms) and he didn't want the roof open! oh well... first "spit" was 5:30pm...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 15, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9205604

Morning all, heavy out there, humid so likely will find something indoor to occupy my day. I've been up since dawn so all my housework done, gardens got a sprinkle of water, furries fed so I'm in for a long day.lol

Don't you find that you spend more days inside due to humidity than you do from blizzards

Hear a kittie crying, best go see what is up

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 15, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9205612

RAIN glorious RAIN arrived last night .. we had about an hours downpour .. we'll take it .. what we didn't want thoug was the lightning!!
Like you Betty .. it's 'heavy' outside this morning .. windows inside are actually wet .. so .. it looks as though we'll have another hot and humid day .. with more rain predicted later on.

Going for gas this morning, then to the cemetery to see if the flower seeds I planted have bloomed out.

Hope everyone enjoys their day ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 15, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9205671

Not a way to start your day "m" filling up the gas tank, talk about high prices! Went on the trip calculated..stats say that the car I just bought can do round trip to New Orleans for $250. Of course add few more dollars for the non direct routes I take but still affordable.

Saddened by the news that we lost 3 young children due to drowning in two separate happenings..brother and sister(under 10) and then a 12 year old boy..said they notified his parents so either he was at camp or with friends..hate to say it,mthere is no reason, absolutely none for children these days not to be able to swim..dont have to be near water, schools, camps, YMCA. Etc all provide opportunities..that being said, all mine swim like fish and accident is an accident but it gives them a chance.

Blue sky here, not a sign of a cloud in the sky..leaves aren't moving so very still..did water the gardens though, quick spray and some were drooping pretty bad.

Doubtful your ses would have taken in this drought do you think?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 15, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9206089

Sharing an email I just rec'd .. pretty darned accurate too ^_^

IT'S SO HOT in Ontario...

the birds have to use potholders to pull
the worms out of the ground.

...the trees are whistling for the dogs.

...the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance

...hot water comes from both taps.

...you can make sun tea instantly.

...you learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron.

...the temperature drops below 90 F and you feel a little chilly.

...you discover that in July it only takes two fingers to steer your
car (one on each hand).

...you discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

...you actually burn your hand opening the car door.

...you break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 5:30 A.M.

...your biggest motorcycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out
and end up lying on the
pavement and cook to death"?

...you realize that asphalt has a liquid stage.

...the potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one
out and add butter.

...the cows are giving evaporated milk.

...farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from
laying boiled eggs.

IT'S SO DRY in Ontario...that the Baptists are starting to baptize
by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians
are giving rain checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to
turn back into water!

Hope that made ya smile :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 15, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9206155

I'm so laughing..lol
Who in the world thinks ups these things, quick minds!

I was up so early that I was productive for the best part of the day..other than soldering a hinge and latch I got a stained glass jewelry box done for my SIL Marg who is turning 65. Then Larry from car dealership called and asked did I still have the snow tires for the Aveo as the young lad ho bought my car would purchase them. The dad has been and gone and now I'm minus the tires..not fond of having to buy new ones this year..will be a Merry Christmas Betty!

Sooo lazy, think I'll run down to Foodland and get a rotisserie chicken

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 15, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9206343

Sharing some pics ... this years Day Lilies and Asiatic Lilies and the veg garden ..

Storm on the way ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 15, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9206378

They are gorgeous "m"' no luck with Lillie's since the Lilly bug killed them all, last year same, this year same so end of Lillie's and I was enjoying collecting them.

Do you find your veggie garden is going to produce this year considering temps?

Just booked Elvis Gospel Breakfast on July 29th and Elvis sounds on Saturday July 28th..not sure who will end up going but I bought for 4' easy to get rid of if nobody decides to go..be prepared is my moto

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 16, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9206817

The Day Lillies here 'made it' through a growing season without being eaten by DEER. If there is ONE good thing about having a bear about, it's the fact the deer stay away.

This weeks Dave's Newsletter shows pics of the 'nasties' lurking in the gardens .. good article.

Started raining here about 5am, and, according to the radar it will last the day .. WOO HOO ^_^

Hope you have a super time at the Elvis Breakfast, I know it's a yearly thing for you :-)

Have a great week everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 16, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9206899

Ohhh you got my rain!!!! Calling for the hotest day of the year tomorrow, high humidity along with it..

The humidity here is so high this morning I had to have my windshield wipers going, couldn't see a thing!

Yes, I enjoy the Collingwood Elvis Festival..some of the greatest entertainers, was worried my trip to New Orleans would be same time but Paul changed our close down to a week later so can do both.

I've no deer/bears but what I do have is zillions of black squirrels..wondered by everytime I put the bird feed outside it was empty within the hour..on the weekend I sat out, now I know why..

Enjoy your rain

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 16, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9207537

What a WONDERFUL relief from the heat today .. cool and clammy, but welcomed.

Attaching a pic of the dogs looking out THEIR gate at us working in the gardens ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 16, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9207545

ahhh "M" they are just so adorable!!
Hot here, just getting ready to leave the office, likely I'm in for a surprise leaving a/c to the heat of the day!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 16, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9207852

Happy Birthday ViolaAnn..hope your day has been special in every way!! Maybe a hard to find as a pressie?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 16, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9207859

Happy Birthday, ViolaAnn!!

aww M - those pooches are adorable - THEIR gate, eh? lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 17, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9208329

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes VAnn .. hope you had a wonderful day ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9208445

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Didn't do much - early aquafit. Then we took the DGTwins to the library - they are here with us for a week. And to Chapters when we didn't find what DGS was looking for at the library. Quiet afternoon and I made dinner or got it ready - BBQ chicken with a salad and birthday cake. DD and DSIL came over for dinner but left early as they need the time to work on their house. They've put an offer on a different house, but it's conditional on selling theirs and it's not ready to sell.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 17, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9208452

Morning, no air to breath today
Actually glad I'm in a cold office, imagine that, glad I'm at work lol

ViolaAnn, glad you had family to celebrate the big day...are homes selling quickly in your region??

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 17, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9209069

WHEW .. another hot and humid day here as well .. and, always have something that HAS to be accomplished .. today Lorna had her Hygienist appt .. tomorrow Gord has an opthamologist appt at 8am .. never ever gets in to see this fella til about 10, and then it's a 10 minute visit .. but.. since they put drops in his eyes, he needs a driver, that'd be me .

Housing market here in TBay is slow I think .. I know newly built homes in some of the newer subdivisions are STARTING at $350,000.

LOVE Chapters .. not only because of the books, but they have some different items suitable for gifts. Our grandchildren always get a gift certificate for Chapters in their stocking at Xmas.

Off to BBQ some chicken .. no way am I turning the oven on !!!

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 17, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9209431

Houses in Calgary are beating the norm - prices are going up again!! Great time to sell, NOT a great time to buy...

VAnne - Glad you spent time with the family on your b-day! Hope your DD and DSIL get the house they want, at the price they need!

Looking forward to the weekend!! Yaaaaaaaay camping!! Going to Pincher Creek, Alberta

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9209582

Hard to say about homes in this area. The gov't is laying off all sorts of civil servants and I think the market is slow. But where DD and DSIL are is very close to where the main RCMP headquarters now is and their street is a quiet one. Their house is almost 8 years old - was new when they moved in. They are currently at https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6+Wells+Street,+Ottawa,+ON,+Canada&hl=en&ll=45.276961,-75.707618&spn=0.011898,0.025299&sll=45.458635,-75.603265&sspn=0.01186,0.025299&oq=6+wells+st&hnear=6+Wells+St,+Ottawa,+Ottawa+Division,+Ontario+K2G+6X8,+Canada&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=45.276961,-75.707618&panoid=gDsEkA0drmfH1vC3E_y1KQ&cbp=12,216.87,,0,1.3 (the red brick ) and hope to move to http://www.zoocasa.com/en/real_estate/1594564-8-Queen-Anne-Cr-Ottawa-Ontario-K2C3H1 It's just a couple of km up Prince of Wales Dr. from where they presently are.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 17, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9209664

Lovely current home, VAnne! And they want to move closer to parliament? lol
House prices are a lot cheaper in Ottawa than in Calgary. Our median price is 479,609.
Sure is a lovely home they're hoping to get. Here's praying they get the home they want!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 18, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9210487

Deep breath in .. imagine that .. NO HUMIDITY :-)
Have been able to spend most of the day outside, and ENJOY it .. 30C+ will be back again starting Friday .. spare me.

Hope your DD and DSinL have good luck with the home purchase Ann .. a stressful time .. but .. worth it in the end once the dust settles.

TTFN

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9210613

If they get the house, it will be a short move - 2.7 km https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=6+Wells+Street,+Ottawa,+ON,+Canada&daddr=8+Queen+Anne+Crescent,+Ottawa,+ON,+Canada&hl=en&sll=45.276985,-75.707624&sspn=0.008108,0.013797&geocode=FWXfsgId6Mp8-ymROgKR0OLNTDEuE6ku4QM6gA%3BFQEoswIdreB8-ykxNqVFseLNTDGq7opgIHFgYg&oq=8+Queen+Anne&mra=ls&t=m&z=14 The kids would also stay in the same school.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9210708

Love the subdivision ViolaAnn, gorgeous homes..nice that the children will not have to move schools! Still a move though, what a tremendous amont of work that will be. My ex DIL did the same, wanted to be in a cul de sac..doesn't regret doing it.

Oh happy days, actually have all the windows open, lovely breeze ..I best not do the happy dance as more hot days to come.

SIL Suzanne just left, came to work on her sister's 65th birthday gift, stained glass lamp, wow mega work! I'm not sure she will have it finished..hmm not sure why, she started it for her 60th. Lol

Guess it is that time of night...should sleep well being able to sleep with windows open!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 18, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9210847

That'"s great, VAnne - would be nice for the kids not to move from their neighbourhood!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 18, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9210897

ah yes... sleeping with natural air - looking forward to that this weekend. Every time we come home from camping, I can NOT sleep without opening the window.
It's cool enough now that we've shut off the a/c, and Bob opened the window. In about 10 min I'm off to sleep...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 19, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9211003

Looks as though it'll be another NON humid day here .. just spoke with my BFF, Jo-Anne, she's visitng her sister and family in Frnace, says the highest the temp has gotten in her 2 weeks there, so far, is 26C .. so .. it has been pleasant.
She arrives back in TBay on Saturday and will be met with heat and humidity ..

Off to the border later today to pick up a parcel .. ordered some shoes .. haven't ever done that before, so, we'll see how it turns out.
Also ordered some Crocs from place here in Canada. Bought a new pair last week and love them .. a nice style, and comfortable, but, the store here only offers them in black or brown, I wanted a light pink for summer .. went online, and, voila .. there they were ^_^

ViAnn .. busy looking for, I think, Townline Rd., my nephew and his family live there after having lived in Belgium for 7 years .. he's in the Military .. they had a home built in a new subdivision outside Ottawa .. I'm cluelss as to which area though. They really do like Ottawa though.

Have a great day everyone

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9211434

Maybe 10th Line Rd? A lot of building around there. Pics from yesterday's outing to 1000 Islands are up at http://violaann.smugmug.com/Travel/Thousand-Islands-and-Boldt/24261127_qV9fZr

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 19, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9211444

Gorgeous photo's! OMG look at those homes, something else to look at but would sure hate to have to clean all those rooms...guess if you can afford a home like that there is no problems with having someone do the cleaning right? Your grandchildren are adorable

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 19, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9211594

Lovely pics Ann .. looks like it was a nice outing ..

Got my parcel from the US .. it was a pair of shoes .. :-( about 1/2 a size too small, so, will send them back. Disappointing, but, not the end of the world.
Seems 'SHOE STORES' that stand alone, not WalMart or Sears etc are few and far between now .. gone are Bata and Agnew Surpass .. think the shoe stores in the Malls cater to the 'younger crowd' .. I certainly am over my penchant for wearing 3-4" high heels, just want a nice pair of lower heeled shoes .. my 40year anniversary from nursing is coming up at the end of August .. once J0-Anne gets back from Europe I'll take her out shopping with me .. she's a whizz at it ^_^
I am a very poor shopper ..

Cooking Marlin steaks for supper .. on the BBQ .. have made a marinade and am hoping everything turns out well.

TTFN

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9211601

Marilynne - I think I'm just gonna repair my old shoes for the rest of my life. Nobody makes them narrow enough any more.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 19, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9211681

Lordy, been looking for good sandals for my trip, already into boots as summer is over, who says? Yep, was at the mall and all the shoes they had I'd wear for an hour and that would be that, back would kill me.

What a lovely breeze..with it being bearable in the house decided I would pick up corn from garden center...new corn so likely not a lot of kernels..

Marlin?? Not a fish eater but imagine its tasty...wow 40 years, big do?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 19, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9211779

Y U K !!! .. I would not recommend Marlin steaks on the BBQ
It's a very firm fish when cooked .. the same consistency as solid white tuna in the can .. but .. I just didn't care for it. Gord thought it was good .. but no RAVE reviews .. ahh well .. have wanted to try it for awhile now, and now I know.
It likely would have tasted better in some tropical setting ^_^

Ann .. I just want a nice pair of serviceable shoes .. preferably bone or off white .. the journey begins LoL
I'm a B width, kind of standard, but, a size 10 !!

Off to watch Corrie ...

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 19, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9211790

VAnne - those pictures are fabulous! I really enjoy going to places like that, but they're few and far between. Lougheed House in Calgary is the only mansion we have. There used to be 6 others, but they were demolished for the sake of progress... how sad.
That one mansion really Does look haunted... but the kids looked like they had a good time - certainly Bob did!
So, the Boldt mansion building was stopped when his wife passed? poor man - no heart left in him to finish, I suppose. How nice that our generation is completing the job - what a work of art, eh?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 19, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9211836

That sucks "m"' thought for sure you would be having seconds

Have any of you been to Casa Loma in Toronto?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 19, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9212027

~M~ you watch Corrie? kewl - we usually get to watch it in the evenings, and if not, then before church on Sundays (but 5 HOURS on Sunday? Yikers!!)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 20, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9212117

GADS .. my Browser 'home page' is CNN .. every morning it fires up I never know what I'll see .. this morning .. MORE tragedy .. 14 slain at a movie theatre in Colorado at the premier of the new BatMan movie .. The Star is abuzz with stories relating to the shootings in Scarborough and the house filled with 'bombs and bunkers' in Barrie .. sometimes I think one of my worst traits is my desire to 'be in the loop' as far as world news goes, but, at the same time, taking the good with the bad is becoming harder to do !!!

Corrie .. ahhhhhhhhhh .. like a Calgon bath to an aching body LoL ... it starts here at 7pm .. so plenty of time to clean up from supper and sit back and relax and watch the 'goings on on the Street' .. have never been a Soap Opera fan, but, class Coronation Street a titch higher than a Soap LoL .. if it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for me !!

Re the Marlin steaks, disappointing yes, but, at least I now know .. am thinking perhaps there might be a better way to cook them .. ie .. 'poach them' .. but, I'm calling it good .. the dogs and cat will be able to snack on the left over steak .. better than throwing it out ..

The heat is back here .. 31C today (with humidty), and 34C tomorrow .. am thinking it's a stay at home weekend ..

TGIF everyone

~M~

PS .. visited Casa Loma years ago .. have heard it has flallen into disrepair ..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 20, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9212144

Morning all, yes, woke up early and the shooting was update was on, how very sad, even a babe..what possesses these souls to do such things...as for the Barrie situation, not far from where I work..imagine, finally being caipught for a murder done in 70's and then to find the bunkers and bombs..think his stint overseas may have damaged his thinking process.

Put a sweater on this morning when I went to water the pretties..almost felt like fall but heat will be much as yours for the weekend, best enjoy the morning before it arrives..

So love working from home Fridays..can't go anywhere until 3 but get to play and get housework done, that is a plus!

Didn't cut the grass last weekend as it was soo dry, looks like heck so really should cut it, project for tonight.

Not sure about your gardens but I've so much to cut and deadhead...imagine, soon the gardens will be done, how did that come about?

Was at CasaLoma last year, lots of construction going on to upgrade the facility, new facelift!

Susan enjoy your camping weekend, am sure both you and Bob need the getaway.

"m" watch Coronation street from time to time..still some old actors/actresses in it..long running..how did those furries enjoy the marln!

Time to make myself useful

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 21, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9213244

Safe travels to Susan and Bob re the camping trip :-)
I see your temps are nice .. better than the heat wave here.

Betty .. Ken and Deidre Barlow are still in Corrie as well as Rita and many other oldies (but goodies)
I sometimes miss it for a few days and watch it and never miss a beat ..
A colleague of mine has travelled to England twice to watch a taping of the show, and, in Nova Scotia there is a die hard group she belongs to that meets twice a year at a Pub they name 'The Rovers' for the evening .. they have even had some of the Corrie stars come to help celebrate .. she LIVES for those get togethers ..

Mow the lawns day, laundry, and weeding .. and awaiting the visit of a friend from Kingston .. she'll be dropping by 'sometime' with her Mom and her 2 daughters .. been awhile since I've seen her .. she is a colleague and a friend ^_^

Off I go ..

Nice to hear Casa Loma is being fixed up !

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 21, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9213370

Wow you sure have put in a day..how exciting to get visits from old friends..

I'm cleaning areas of the gardens, saving seed to share..had a perm this mornimg and a nice set..out sweating in the gardens and talk about the frizzies..

Was just talking to Jeff and Julie, they are now on pontoon boat vs their kayak as Julie's back is bad this week, said they were actually cold last night..almost feels of fall in the air today

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 21, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9213663

Hope Julie's back gets rested up a bit by switiching to a pontoon boat .. nothing worse (almost) than a sore back !!

Well .. I guess I am going to stop 'NOT LOOKING', and, admit that YES we do now have EARWIGS in NorthWestern ON :-(
Disgusting wee beasites .. I am almost afraid to move any pots etc that are in shade .. they come running out, to me they look like a mini Scorpion !!
Even Gord has voiced his displeasure and he's the typa fella that hurts nothing .. carries spiders from one places to another .. anyway .. we have them.

Beauty day all round .. visit with my friend and her 2 daughters was brief, but so nice ..

Off to tackle 3 games of Scrabble

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9215009

Back from camping... Had a great time, as per always!!
tired, dirty, and wanting a BATH... gonna go for one, right now...
chat later!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 23, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9215277

Nice to hear you had a good time Susan .. that's what it's all about ^_^

ANOTHER hot and humid day .. kinda smokey outside as we have, from what I hear, 70 forest fires burning in the area. Most caused by lightning strikes.

Gord left for Wisconsin today, he's gone to visit his bud and do some fishing .. intense heat down that way.
He left with kind of mixed feelings as one of his firefighter friends is in a 'bad way' in hospital with a very poor chance of surviving a stroke he suffered over the weekend.

Best go and shut up some windows and pull some blinds ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 23, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9216015

"M" sorry to hear about Gord's friend. I'll have to go look at weather in New Orleans, hard to believe it could be hotter than this, famous last words..lol

It's 95f (feels 106) forgot to put air on, hate to close up the windows but if I don't I'll not sleep tonight..beautiful breeze, almost feel a storm brewing but no doubt it will miss us again.

No fires here but if we soon don't get rain imagine there will be some. A hazard for sure, everything is soo dry. Dont think the corn is doing we'll this year, we'll be paying dearly for this weather.

Susan, bet you are tired today..just think few more weekends and you'll be off enjoying camping once more..so much fun!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9216466

Marilyn - hope Gord's friend survives long enough for Gord to see him beforehand (I know that sounds weird...) because I know Gord would feel terrible if he was not to say "Goodbye" to him...

Well, not camping next weekend, but WILL be camping the next weekend! Not that far off!!!
Glad we can still have campfires... I know some places in BC can't. And I imagine campgrounds in ON are having a tough time of it, too.
Yes, Marilyn - that IS what it's all about - a good time!
and yes, Betty - I am tired... and not from work, either. They had me creating "stuffers" for envelopes, then stuffing the envelopes... then stuffing them into Inter-office envelopes... siiiiiiiiigh enough for all the UFA Cardlocks and Farm Stores in Alberta... and that's saying alot. It's a good tired that I am - amazing how much and how many coolers we take for 2 people, 2 1/2 days...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 24, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9216582

Quick drop in this morning, hanging baskets and furries to feed.

Am hoping the torrential rain/winds/hail that hit Ottawa hasn't done mega damage to your gardens ViolaAnn.

Sad to say no rain in my neighborhood.

Gab when I get to the office

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 24, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9216612

Another hot humid day is starting to unfold here.
Thank goodness Lorna bought that ATV .. sure makes the watering gig easier !! Load up the back with watering cans and off we go, Gord has soaker hoses in the veg garden and an oscillating sprinker.
Smoke in the air here for sure.

Coolers and camping, they go hand in hand .. and, what can you do with no electricity? I remember when we bought our first REAL trailer and stayed in a fully serviced campground, sheesh, thought I had died and gone to heaven LoL

Sad to see Sally Ride (American Astronaut) passed away .. she was quite a fascinating lady.

Hope everyone has a great day!! Kind City had a torrential down pour yesterday .. Lorna's parents were sure happy.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 24, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9217604

Marilyn - we always get the same campsite - with water and power. IF the power went out, we could plug one fridge/cooler into Bob's truck, but only for 4 hours. Any more and it starts to drain the battery. But, we're only 2 1/2 hours from home in case of need.

I hadn't heard Sally Ride has passed... yes, she was fascinating.

Sorry Betty - ... wish I could send you rain...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 25, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9217708

Morning,going to be one of those 'no rain days'! Weather watch for north (hope not in your region "m". Cluster of thunderstorms in Barrie region..so hoping it makes my town..

Busy weekend ahead, it's the Elvis Festival week in Collingwood so ive tickets for several of the events (love the Elvis Gospel Breakfast) and my SIL's 65th so won't be sitting all weekend . Will be a good doggie grandma and go mornings and evenings starting Saturday to feed and walk Sophie and Ned while family do part of the Trent.

Off to water the planters!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9217739

Rain GLORIOUS rain started falling here at 5am .. it's dark and brooding out, but, I won't have to water for a couple of days if this keeps up.

Gord's colleague/friend passed away last evening .. I'll tell him when he calls later today .. hate imparting that kind of news.

I see the Elvis phenomenon is happening in Saskatchewan as well Betty .. hope you have fun at it, and with walking Sophie and Ned.

I have a Hospice 'tag day' coming up on Saturday .. from 2-4 .. am so hoping it isn't too hot .. after this rain for 2 days we are supposedly back into the high temps .. perhaps the humidity will have moved on ..

Trying to arrange a 'pizza night' for DGD 's BDay .. she is turning 14 on the 29th .. but .. so many functions surrounding the celebration .. boggles the mind .. there's the 'GURL PARTY' on Friday evening, a sleepover of 8 young ladies at Brooklyns .. talk about raging hormones in one enclosed area !! Then a family party, and another party hosted by some of the young people she rides horses with .. where does old Granny fit in LoL ...

Trying to get the dogs out, neither one is too happy about the rain. I AM ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 25, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9217789

Quick, quick "M" go get your bathing suit on and run through the yard doing the happy dance! Lucky you..

Sorry to hear that Gord's friend died,will he come home earlier for the funeral?

You would almost think children these days are royalty..birthday celebration go on for weeks don't they. LOL at the hormones, wouldn't want to be the chaperone! Ahhh to be young..

Miss the grandchildren being young, they've busy lives now and difficult to have any time with them.

I'm hoping mid September I can get the 4 grandson's together and take them to Darien Lake N.Y. for the weekend, 3 have been gone all summer and not returning till school week..should phone their parents and book my time NOW. Put that on my 'to do' list for today..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9218156

The rain has stopped, but, we had a good 5 hours of steady downpour .. the dogs hated it, but, the grass and the gardens sucked it right up YAHOO !!!

Finally have plans for the Pizza night, it will be tonight .. suits me just fine .. and, I plan to ask the kids (big and small) to put away their hand held devices through supper !!!

Gord has yet to call .. I doubt he'll come back for Doug's funeral .. they were not 'hard and fast' friends, just work colleagues .. and we went out socially with him and his wife a few times. Betty, you'd love Donna .. she's an artist, works in oils and does very well .. she's kind of well known in this area, as well as Salt Spring Island BC where she and Doug had a winter residence. Sad .

Hope you get together and take your grandsons on the excursion Betty .. hard to find a spare moment with kids these days.

Off to walk the dogs a bit

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 25, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9218313

I'm sure "M" you will be Gord's representative, am sure the family will understand. Pizza, something everyone loves

Hardgoing getting the adults as well as the kids to put all their electronics away..drives you crazy doesn't it!

Darien Lake is an amusement park in N.Y. so I'll give it a try..sometime it's easier taking Jeff's kids then Greg's kids re commitments but I want all 4..before you know it they'll not even contemplate coming out with old grandma lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 26, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9219293

Morning from rainy Barrie, oh happy days!!! Smilling from ear to ear..

left home and it was soft rain, just a mist really then as I got nearer to Barrie torrential rain, could barely even see the road..now I'm hoping we don't have same in my neck of the woods as likely it would flatten the gardens..we don't as for much now do we?

Working from home tomorrow as I do every Friday, wanted to go to Fabricland (thinking of Carol, she was always on the lookout for Fabricland sales) to get some lining for the bags I want to make DIL's for Christmas but don't want to get washed away .. you do know we are less than six months away, on the downswing of things, ok smack me if you want to but no playing this year I'll be done by end of October..

What are you all up to??

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 27, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9220146

Someone mentioned the nearness of Xmas to me on July 25 .. FIVE MONTHS .. we ALL know how fast 5 months goes by !!
Funny, had lunch with Jo yesterday, and she was headed for Fabricland too .. and .. like you Betty, I thought of Carol. I think it a wonderful testament to a persons life when something like that happens ^_^

Hope your rain was OK .. you've waitied long enough for it .. we had warnings and advisories here, but nary a drop fell. In fact, starting Saturday, we will be back to temps in the high 30s .. UGggggggggggggg .. so .. back to watering.

Watched a 'sort of' good movie last night .. Albert Nobbs with Glenn Close .. odd movie .. but .. entertaining.
Off to town today to get some shopping done for the weekend .. will be doing the tag day for Hospice on Saturday for 2 hours in front of local LCBO .. sure hoping it's in the shade !!!

Best gest a move on

Enjoy your day

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 27, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9220159

Morning all..

Flowers loved the rain, some of the taller painted daisies found their way to the ground, tall and lanky, top heavy so wasn't a surprise to loose some!

Originally they called for rain today but the sky is as blue as blue can be..grass is wet so will have to wait till late morning to go cut more of the spent flowers, tidy things up..have some marsh mallow and tickseeds if any of you want some..

Busy weekend ahead..SIL's 65th this evening and then Elvis in Collinwood, can't miss that now can I?

With working from home today I was in no hurry to get a move on, still in jammies and most of housework done, now I can play!

Have to be on duty until 3:00pm so thought I'd either take my sewing machine out or some stained glass and work on Christmas pressies...I know, too early to talk of such things.

"M" here is hoping you have great weather for the tagging, couldn't find a better place than in front of LCBO or grocery store. think they are calling for 30's here as well..how did the pizza party go?

Called to check up on her last night, they had to put their dog down yesterday, on Monday she was in a car accident, just starting to get mobile after her terrible fall a few months ago..feel badly for her.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 28, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9221189

Morning all..

Absolutely glorious day out there..has the feel of fall in the air!
Only had the one downpour on Thursday, grou d still dry but can't take the LNG grass so it will be a citing morning for me.

Right now I'm in the dealership..had called in to ask and tell that seeing I'm taking this car to New Orleans and likely will be back with 7kl on it, having only just over 2kl on it now that it was better to do 1st oil change earlier than later..had different opinions from dealership..this mornimg they will just chech levels and tires etc and not do oil, suggest stopping on my way home when I near the 5kl and have it done if they have the specialty oil..other than that wait..I want to be guaranteed though if I wait will it cancel out my warrantee?

Was going to Elvis festival this afternoon but everyone cancelled out so might wait and do the gospel breakfast, Ann and Darlene are suppose to go, Cathy cancelled but it's easy enough for me to get rid of it tomorrow morning at the venue.

Then it's off to the grounds to see all competing for top "Elvis"

What are you up to???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 28, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9221236

Gorgeous day here as well Betty .. 10C at 7am .. but.. expected to reach the low 30s today .. MAYBE rain tomorrow but not much.

Tag Day for Hospice outside the LCBO .. I really don't know why I agreed to do this .. I felt so 'odd' the last time I did it and swore I wouldn't do it again .. but .. here I am .. seems to me people feel almost 'pressed' into donating something because we are standing there, I know that's how I feel. Ah well , it'll be over before we know it ..

Went online at 7am .. no internet, checked everything on my end of the line and all was A OK .. called the provider and it was Hydro Ones 'fault' .. anyway, it was back on by 9am.

Watched the opening of the Olympics .. man .. L O N G or what !! But, the 'Lighting of the Flame' sequence was just awesome .. I sincerely hope and pray the Games go off without a hitch.

Hope you enjoy the Elvis Day Betty ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 28, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9221584

Betty - too bad for the cancellations - hope everything goes better soon - you need your Elvis "Fix" lol
Enjoy your Elvis Day!!

~M~ glad you're back online! How frustrating and "lost" I feel when I'm "cut off" from my friends...

Beautiful day today - and now I'm trying to get some stuff cleared out of the house - ie: stuff that's garbage, but Bob keeps bringing home wanting to "repurpose" it lol siiiiiiiiiigh

Tomorrow, at 1pm, I'm going to take 3 hours of lessons on how to ride a bicycle!!! A bit nervous, but the teacher is experienced, so I'm going to be fine. Just have to think about bike shorts and gloves... have several bikes to choose from, plus a helmet! I'll be fine, but will fill you in on the details afterwards...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9221621

Well, daughter's house is listed - http://www.6wellsstreet.com/

The septic tile bed on the new price has to be replaced; so they've negotiated a lower price on the house, essentially splitting the cost. House inspection was OK. And now theirs is on the market.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 28, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9221628

Ann - love the kitchen and bathroom - large tub!! Aren't these the two rooms that everyone is most interested in?!?!
Lovely home

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9221903

They actually had an offer before the listing was posted. But the people want in mid-August and they can't get into their new place until end of August. Open house tomorrow - and the fact that there's been an offer on the house should focus people's minds. If that ends up being the best offer, I expect both sides can negotiate some.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 28, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9221941

Weather has finally cooled off here and at a more reasonable temp. Speaking of moving here are two photo's of the Babes in the nest, yes there are 4. Then one who is in a planter of mine. I really got the feeling when I took the photo that he was saying "ok I know if I just look the other way she won't be able to see me". It only took a day and the little one was up in a tree squawking for food.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52   Thumbnail by annabell52

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 28, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9221996

Ann - an offer already... that's fantastic!
and for the sake of 1/2 month, the people offering could stay at a relatives or friend's house and put their stuff in storage or some of it in your DD's house. ! There's always a solution, and room for negotiation.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 29, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9222087

Morning, heading out shortly for Elvis Gospel breakfast, they have had great weather once again and am sure the festival committe are thrilled with the numbers coming into town..

Yikes, skunk somewhere around..don't want to let furries out till a bit lighter. With Sailor and Missy being black do you think they wouldn't spray thinking they are a sibling? Likely not lol

Alberta Ann, what fabulous photo's..just love the planter one...you will submit into the next photo contest I hope.. How did your gardens fare in this heat??

ViolaAnn, what a lovely home..a few weeks isn't terribly long to make up some type of alternative living, even if they were to each give up a week..storage of household goods, could have a pod delivered, filled, stored and delivered on date of closing. Here's hoping they will get a better offer today

Susan, don't want to hear of scrapes/bruises resulting from your ride...safe travels and I'm sure you'll be biking everywhere after today!

"M". How did you make out with your tagging yesterday? Sometimes it would be cheaper and easier to throw $50 into the box and not stand out in the sunshine..

Time to run, enjoy your day

Brr bit chilled this morning, windows open and you can feel fall in the air ..

Was lookin

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 29, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9222142

AlbertaAnn .. I'm with Betty, I think BOTH of your 'Baby Bird' pics should be submitted to the contest .. just beautiful pics .. course, I love Robins ^_^

ViAnn .. I wish your DD and DSinlaw all the best. It's a very stressful time this moving time, well worth it in the end though if all works out, and, it usually does.

TagDay .. well .. I collected ! $400.00 !! during my 2 hour stint!! I do believe people prefer to drop a five dollar bill in the box, rather than fish around for change .. and .. I also can see the effect HOSPICE care has had on people, heard many good stories .. BUT .. standing in the shade of the store for 2.5 hours was NOT good .. the temp was 30C and the breeze warm .. and, like it or not .. my right hip got very cranky .. I sent Lorna back to sit in the vehicle after about 40 minutes .. another volunteer arrived at 3pm .. and I left at 4pm .. we picked up some Chinese Food and I was SO glad to be headed home !! Am thinking I'll only do TagDays in the cooler temps !!

Susan .. I am assuming (never a good thing) that you are referring to a standard bicycle, not a motorcycle? Good luck with that, I loved riding a bike .. find it too dangerous now though .. people appear to have no respect for bicyclers .. plus, I find so many folks love to 'speed on'. !

Weatherwise here in the NorthWest .. we are craving rain. It is predicted later today, but from whence it will come is anyones best guess. Perhaps the West from Winterpeg, or the southe from Minnesota .. we're not fussy, just want enough to soak the beds. To ensure its arrival I went out and watered all the patio plants and container tomato plants early this morning ..

My DGD is 14 today .. as always, I have a hard time believing she can possibly be a teenager already .. I worry for her .. even though she is quite level headed and my son and daughter in law keep close watch on both children .. it's the outside forces like PEER PRESSURE that I worry about ... guess we all have had to deal with it ..

Take care everyone

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 29, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9223167

Betty - no scrapes or bruises - didn't fall off once.
Marilyn - yes, a bicycle, not a motorcycle lol Never learned as a kid, cuz my parents wouldn't buy me one until I learned how... siiiiiiigh can't learn without my own bike...

as for the bike lesson today:
As for me, and my bike riding lesson:
phew... 3 hours of walking up hills, coasting down hills (without pedals, no less), and learning about helmets, the ABC check before riding, and all about bike holders for cars, and chains, etc...
very warm out today, and kept flopping into shade and drinking iced tea with lemon...
I got "95% there" in learning.
When she put pedals on, all I could think was... "watch my balance, steer, AND pedal - yikes!)
I "hit the wall" and couldn't get the pedalling right - either they were behind my leg and I couldn't get my foot backwards, or I could get one foot on and not the other... after 2 1/2 hours I was tired, and couldn't do anymore. after the last 1/2 hour (total of 3 hours!!!) I was bushed!
I will be practicing this week, in the same park after work, with Bob - he was there the whole lesson, so he knows exactly "where" I am with this. I hope by next weekend I will be well and truly riding my bike :-)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9223281

DD's house is SOLD!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

July 30, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9223298

Great news ViAnn ..hope all goes well with the packing AND the move ..

Susan .. it sounds as though you had quite the lesson! Holy cow .. 3 hours is a long time. I do so hope with practice you WILL be riding with confidence soon.

Rain GLORIOUS rain !! We had a couple of thunder storms pass through yesterday, and rain fell steadily for about 2 hours and then again during the night. Looks as though we may have more to come as well .. YAY !!!

Lorna sees a physiotherapist today for a 'pre orthopedic surgeon assessment' .. really am stumped as to why with Lorna having had 2 MRIs and 5 xrays that all confirm a meniscal tear in her right knee. .. guess it's just the order of the day.

Betty .. how was the Elvis day on Sunday.

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

July 30, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9223360

Moved us over...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273243/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America