Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Winter Solstice -frosty days in the Aussie Brug garden.

Sydney, Australia

Well it's our shortest day today ...the good news is that the days will get a little longer again from now on.
Jack Frost has been to visit.
Some of the Brugs are too badly burned to bloom, some with a little more shelter are trying to give a show in their Winter creamy gelato dresses.
The last picture is Ivoire- truly it has stolen my heart with it's tenacity and vigor ! the picture shows the weather and despite the frost she is so lovely, this picture is the closest to the lovely creamy ivory colour she truly is to the eye, other pics with the bright flash fade it out, such a pity because it's so rich in depth.
chrissy.

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263696/
The poor little noid survives but shivers in the cold ...1) 2)
Melissa Amy has her nose in the air ^_^ as if poking her tongue at Jack Frost. 3)
Ivoire bleached out with the flash but lovely shape.4)
Tintarella trying hard to open.5)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100 Thumbnail by chrissy100
West of Brisbane, Australia

I counted 4 pods--four!--on your double-yellow brug, Chrissy. Exciting times ahead :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

ha ha ha noooo that is Twilight Time in frozen Winter colour those pods are TT x Heart of Gold, yes I am quietly hoping they survive the frosts ...they have been there for a while so I am hoping for good results.
We are all waiting for someone to produce a real double yellow to cross with Clementine. :)
Your lovely Brugs are wearing winter pale too, but lovely, I don't mind the pale shades at all, so ethereal in tones.

chrissy

Four pods of TT x HoG? Wow, what a treasure that is! (I didn't recognise TT in her yellow colours.) I suspect we'll get more double yellow seedlings in the next year or two, from those 4 pods and quite a few others ...

Sydney, Australia

I suspect we are going to see a flood of yellows here in Australia, and that is not a bad thing.
I know our friends over the pond love the yellows, but find them difficult (probably because of the Wintering inside).

Merino, Australia

GHA is looking very lovely out in flower in all the rain. I am not going to take the camera out in the rain , but he is not as pale as usual in the cold.
He is a very pretty shade of gold.
BB is nearly out so I will have winter gold to admire .
Little arborea flower is still looking dainty in the cold.

I have moved a lot of my coldies out of the shadehouse into the open . They are liking being outside . Its a moveable garden here at the moment .
Warmies in more shelter and coldies out.
Come spring , it will be the other way around.

Musical plants ...lol

Chrissy , lovely combination in those pods.
I love the double yellows. I just hope Clementine behaves and flowers a lot more in spring.

I am hoping Mango Cornet will open a few flowers as she is in a more sheltered place.
PP is right next to her also with buds.

Been raining all night and all day and so far this week we have had about 2 inches of lovely rain.

Nice and steady so its not knocking the brugs around and the wind is not as bad either when its raining like this.

Jean.

Sydney, Australia

GHA certainly makes beautiful kids Jean.
So happy you found him.
I hope your blooms get to open for you, they may be pale though ...like this (I quite forgot her)
Our beautiful PP in Winter white. still a lovely shape, just adore her don't you ?

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Clifton Springs, Australia

Rained all day here....so one of the Brugs turned into a fish..
It's a new type of Tetra it's a Tantra...lol

I'm in one of those moods, can't you tell....

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

I think there may be a few swimming around here too Dianne.
Still raining so I havent been out looking......lol

Have fun
Jean.

Sydney, Australia

Big wind here ...love your water Brug Dianne, more water coming your way by the looks of things.
Too windy here to venture out yet, probably finished off the Brug blooms.
Never mind only a few weeks until Spring, I keep telling myself that. ^_^
Have a great day everyone !

chrissy

Went out for a moment to check the pods, all ok, then looked at a few buds....the bottom of them was filled with water, same as summer...so I pinched out as many as I could..
I thought that it was condensation, but in Winter?

You're right about Ivoire, Chrissy...it is a trooper like all the Aureas, still flowering in spite of the very cold winds....I will be interested to see how it goes in your summer humidity.....

I have a flower almost out on the double white that I like, Charleston x Apricot Queen...it's got a bend in it,but I'm interested in seeing it's Winter flower.

PP is just as lovely in Winter, marvellous shape....Tantra seems to be going to flower, it's buds aren't damaged at all....

I thought that I would cheer myself up by putting some pics of Joseph's Coat, (Angel's Flight x Charleston) in Summer. It's such a pretty thing and I really like it's early colours.....there are a few pods on it and some buds still....
I try not to think of cestrum's comment re the big lips.....lol...... this one recurves as it ages....but because it has so many flowers, you don't focus on the recurved ones.....
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger
Sydney, Australia

Love these pretty pictures ...I find the buds gush water after lots of rain, if you have had a fair bit of rain the buds will just pour the water out when you pinch them. It's worse in Summer because the water actually seems to cook the calyx somehow, the cells seem to swell up and explode. In the Winter it probably only cause heaviness in the unopened calyx, perhaps causing the bud drop. Whatever it may cause, I do nip the tips off the calyx if there is a lot of rain (when I can reach them ). Edited to say that the brugs suck the water up and seem to try and expel the excess through the buds ...is what it seems like to me.

How exciting that you have pods on that pretty thing. Lots of beautiful doubles in the future ! ^_^
I am kind of sorry I chopped up HOPE now because it may do the full double thing too, perhaps with maturity since it had more fully formed half dropped inner skirt going on than Melissa Amy did.

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 1:10 PM

You mean "lips" like these pink ones, Dianne? LOL
Beautiful pics of JC. I'll have to make a note of the cross because there are now too many beautiful seedlings to remember them all otherwise--what a problem!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

So I too went out side and it isn't freezing but it's a cool wind blowing quite strongly and knocking everything around.
This new little cutie is blowing sideways almost as I tried to snap it, it's head is right up there copping it pretty badly but it's still here !
The seedlings I put out in their cot leaves only stage are slowly growing. I am quite surprised. Lets see how they go in the really cold days now.

Sydney, Australia

Yes what a terrible problem ^_^...Not ^_^

I forgot, it's Friday ! (already again).
Just got my last lot of seeds from over the pond, that will do me now, lots of our own to play with now as well.
This last lot are Joli (fat lips) x Angel's Honeymoon, ha ha ha that is funny (mind pictures).
and Chabilis x Sam.
I was not going to buy any more but then Liz said Joli sets pods really easily (and we know she carries both colour and possible doubles) and well we all know what Sam does as well as having both pinks and yellows in it.

I know I will hate all that work next Spring but, well I am a brug nut ! ^_^

I've just harvested these: FFA x Golden Butter#2 seedpod; C. diurnum berries; one coffee bean (might have to try it coated in chocolate, either that or make the world's smallest cup of coffee). The seedpod appears to contain kernels but won't know how viable they are until I sow a few.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

That brown staining inside the pod is a bit of a worry ...give them a dip in something that will knock out any possible rot issues. Are you going to spot check one to see what the seed is doing ?
Fingers crossed for you, that should be a beauty !
poor lonely little coffee bean ^_^

Not that lonely, Chrissy; I just haven't picked the others yet :-)
I've checked four corks from that seedpod and they contain plump, cream, larger aurea-sized kernels, so they certainly look viable. I remember Allan saying that he had FFA x Fernando (or vice versa) crosses. They should almost certainly produce many if not all doubles--but what colour and shape, I wonder? Maybe with added fragrance? Mine will probably produce mainly singles, but what colour and shape ...?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sydney, Australia

Wonderful, I bet yellows for that cross ! Edited to say yours I mean re yellow, with The other cross ...perhaps everything from whites to pink and or yellows.
Congratulations !

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 2:46 PM

My pods look like that, cestrum.....like a bunch of dates stuck together.......I put a couple of drops of bleach in, just in case when I rinsed them, the seed inside looks ok, but it seems to take ages for the seed case to harden up.....Are they supposed to stay soft for a while.....this is my first year with seeds and I'm not sure about a lot of things...
For eg:- How long should I leave them to dry before I store them in the fridge...
I want to get this right, for when the PPfasciation seeds ripen...if they do...big fat pods that they are...

I am sure that I heard the seeds rattle in the first pod that I picked, since then they all look like dates...if all of the ones that I have opened for practise and thrown on the ground, grow....I will be in a forest..

HELP.

Gosh, I haven't really been paying attention to all that. Er, I don't rinse them after harvest either, just lay them out to dry for at least a fortnight, often a month, in an open saucer. Preferably with the corks not touching each other, but 4 weeks ensures they dry good and proper. I haven't had any mould develop on any of my own crosses, even though some have been stored in those ziplock bags for a couple of years. After 2-4 weeks, I put each cross into its own ziplock bag and then all the bags into one of those rigid plastic storage boxes which, in summer, goes into the garage but is now in the house as it's cold inside most of the time. No room in the fridge here!
But Chrissy will tell you the proper way to harvest and store seeds for greatest viability and longevity :-)

Quote from chrissy100 :
Wonderful, I bet yellows for that cross ! Edited to say yours I mean re yellow, with The other cross ...perhaps everything from whites to pink and or yellows.

Any colour from white to pink. Or any combination thereof :-)
Oh, for a crystal ball!

PS Perhaps rinsing the seeds after harvest might help prevent many of the wilt problems I've had, although I generally soak the kernels in a weak hydrogen peroxide solution before sowing. But you're best off doing whatever Chrissy does as she has better success than I do at raising seedlings to maturity.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 2:31 PM

Sydney, Australia

I have a long table that I use to dry my seeds(inside) ...I lay them out on Kitchen Towels (crosses written on the paper towels), spread them well apart and just wait until they are really dry to the touch (pick up and feel between your fingers.) Depending on the weather it should only take two or three days. I then store them in little paper envelopes. I have never stored them in the refrigerator before, only in boxes in the cupboard (in unheated area). This year I have them in the crisper of the refrigerator, they are in large coffee tins.
The only seeds I rinse when harvesting is the Aurea that have that slimy choko stuff on them.
Fresh seeds have a softer cork than older seeds usually ...they harden up when you dry them.(still softer than old ones though.)
I would always use peroxide or a teaspoon of bleach in soak water. Just in case.
By the way one of my pods was broken by the truck going through (along with some branches) and the seeds were very pale, I knew they were reasonably mature in age, so I risked it and planted them straight into an enclosed plastic take away container, in damp sterile washed river sand and they have come straight up ...so there is another thing to try if your pod drops off in bad weather. Not sure if I am happy or not re multiple BF donor seeds, it was basically an experiment, I am a sucker for baby brugs so I guess I will grow them out.
Don't be frightened about your seeds Dianne, I am sure you will do a great job with them.

chrissy

Quote from chrissy100 :
Not sure if I am happy or not re multiple BF donor seeds, it was basically an experiment, I am a sucker for baby brugs so I guess I will grow them out.
Don't be frightened about your seeds Dianne, I am sure you will do a great job with them.

Remind me again, what does BF stand for?

Sydney, Australia

Buck's Fizz ...there are dozens of pods on two BF trees, I didn't do it ...I think it must be PP or Calamine who is the culprit but who knows????
Isn't it terrible ? once I would have given anything for such things, now I want to pick what crosses. :)
Luckily TT and Heart of Gold co operated, Fernando had a visit from some donor too, It grows right next to Heart of Gold but I think it is probably Love Potion no 9 or Earth Angel x Pink Smitty as they are both full of donor pods and are up close to Fernando,
of course I am hoping it was Pink EA x Pink Smitty that was the daddy but I think anything would hopefully be good.
To have pods on doubles is the stuff of dreams, having a double was the challenge and now we have pods on doubles, it's thrilling really. Of course we see some real duds comes from doubles sometimes ...I just want one or two beautiful ones, I can say I made myself, don't we all ?
I am very proud of Ivoire, and it is just a really cute very strong little Aurea, it will go with me when I move.I am even more proud that Dianne is proud of it, Dianne, it really deserves to go in the next Herald (BGI).

chrissy

Maybe Buck's Fizz?

Those mature pods that I mentioned were all PP and they were sticky just like dates, that's why I rinsed them..
Thanks to both of you for the info, I am doing a bit of both, paper towels for a couple of weeks...keeping them apart......then into ziplock bags and into the crisper.....all of my OS ones are in there too.

Chrissy, I know that you have always been an advocate for growing the seeds in the river sand, but it doesn't work for me.....don't know why, just can't....so I don't try now...just seed raising mix, I don't lose many so that has to do...
Dianne..

I know what you mean about the unwanted (in this case, Bucks Fizz) pods--the dilemma would have been unbelievable a few short years ago! Now there are just too many other promising, and named, crosses that take priority in terms of time and attention. Maybe sow just one or two seeds from each BF pod? Or bite the bullet now and cut off those pods before they ripen? (But I don't think you have the stomach for that, Chrissy, you for whom no brug is ugly LOL)

barmera, Australia

Has anyone else had a a BB x GHA flower for them yet please?

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 5:25 PM

Merino, Australia

I am waiting to see my golden boys offspring too Colleen. I have a couple here but no Y as yet.
I love to see all the pods everyone has coming on.
I have only ever had the one lot from a couple of years back . ( #44 x GHA )
I am hoping for all mine to hang on this year..
I was disappointed when the wind knocked the pod off GHA from Senorita Rosada, but maybe next time.
I'll have to superglue the pods on the trees...lol

Dianne, I have success with seeds in a mix of coir & perlite.
If I plant in the biodegradable pots, I can just plant the whole thing in a large pot when the time comes.

Jean.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 5:40 PM

Colleen, I don't have any of that cross....but I remember you posting a pic a while back......
Could you post again, to jog my memory?

barmera, Australia

Thanks for getting back to me Jean. As this was one of Brian's seedlings I thought that It's worth naming. Introducing. BB x GHA Golden Memories. Colleen

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 5:27 PM

Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris Thumbnail by ctmorris

Quote from chrissy100 :

I am very proud of Ivoire, and it is just a really cute very strong little Aurea, it will go with me when I move.I am even more proud that Dianne is proud of it, Dianne, it really deserves to go in the next Herald (BGI).
chrissy

Chrissy, because you are the hybridizer, you probably love Ivoire the same as I do....definitely not more though....lol
I am only waiting for the results of the cuttings that went out and if everyone considers it as good as we do, then I will register it.....
If I can make a cross that produces a gem like Ivoire, then I will be a very proud hybridizer too....

When I think that it was the result of one tiny seed amongst all the ones you must have given away....then I think what could have happened to it with me caring for it at that stage.......whew.

Jean, those little pots are best for me too, with plenty of perlite in the seed raising mix......

Congrats Colleen, lovely flower, lovely name...Brian would be proud....I bet Jean is..
Who is the clever hybridizer?

Sydney, Australia

Dianne here is a picture of my latest trial (overseas seeds) as talked about. As you can see it is sand, I think it works because it is very aerated even if it is pretty wet, these seedling pop up like grass almost overnight. I put them near the TV that I have at the end of my work table. It's cosy warm there.
The reason I chose washed river sand is because I have heavy clay here I was worried about too much water and the ground being too heavy for my first fancy Brug Old Apricot, so I plonked it into the grand children's old home built sand pit. Of course it was full of sand. I threw in some cow poo and shoved a little rooted plant in there, thinking I would likely lose it but of course three months later I had a huge tree with so many blooms that I couldn't count them all. It won me then and luckily because I have had constant rain for almost 4 years now. We talk about what works for each gardener and this has worked for me here. I am very generous with manures and blood and bone etc when the time is right so they don't starve.

It's a pretty Brug Colleen and a nice name. Is it one from one of the seeds I sent him ? My notes say I sent 5 seeds of that cross to Brian in August 2009. Are they always 6 points like BB ?

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

oops hubby walked in and I forgot the picture ...
Seedlings in sand ... I pot them up at this stage.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

They certainly look good, Chrissy......let's hope that there is another gem in there.

Sydney, Australia

Jean my notes say you have 10 of those seeds from me as well as 10 of the reverse cross. So look out for them (if you grew them out). Also in August 09.
cestrum too at the same time I sent a cutting of FFA in 09, Lots went out in 09 to many different gardeners long since gone.
I realize some may have been lost or swapped or thrown away because they may not have been considered very exciting but I hope some survived.

chrissy

barmera, Australia

Thank you Chrissy. Yes it is your seed, planted by Brian 9/8/09 and flowered by me March 2012. It had a few flowers and they were all the same. I'm going to cut it back soon, it's about 10 ft high and spindley. Shaun has asked for a piece. Does anyone else want any? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Sydney, Australia

Yes I would like a piece in the Spring/Summer when it is big enough ... thank you. Good job it's lovely to see a cross bloom, I think Brian would be very chuffed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.