Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Winter Solstice -frosty days in the Aussie Brug garden.

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 111, Views: 1,049
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9173506

Well it's our shortest day today ...the good news is that the days will get a little longer again from now on.
Jack Frost has been to visit.
Some of the Brugs are too badly burned to bloom, some with a little more shelter are trying to give a show in their Winter creamy gelato dresses.
The last picture is Ivoire- truly it has stolen my heart with it's tenacity and vigor ! the picture shows the weather and despite the frost she is so lovely, this picture is the closest to the lovely creamy ivory colour she truly is to the eye, other pics with the bright flash fade it out, such a pity because it's so rich in depth.
chrissy.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9173520

We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1263696/
The poor little noid survives but shivers in the cold ...1) 2)
Melissa Amy has her nose in the air :-) as if poking her tongue at Jack Frost. 3)
Ivoire bleached out with the flash but lovely shape.4)
Tintarella trying hard to open.5)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 20, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9173573

I counted 4 pods--four!--on your double-yellow brug, Chrissy. Exciting times ahead :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9173599

ha ha ha noooo that is Twilight Time in frozen Winter colour those pods are TT x Heart of Gold, yes I am quietly hoping they survive the frosts ...they have been there for a while so I am hoping for good results.
We are all waiting for someone to produce a real double yellow to cross with Clementine. :)
Your lovely Brugs are wearing winter pale too, but lovely, I don't mind the pale shades at all, so ethereal in tones.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 20, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9173607

Four pods of TT x HoG? Wow, what a treasure that is! (I didn't recognise TT in her yellow colours.) I suspect we'll get more double yellow seedlings in the next year or two, from those 4 pods and quite a few others ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9173627

I suspect we are going to see a flood of yellows here in Australia, and that is not a bad thing.
I know our friends over the pond love the yellows, but find them difficult (probably because of the Wintering inside).
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 20, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9173693

GHA is looking very lovely out in flower in all the rain. I am not going to take the camera out in the rain , but he is not as pale as usual in the cold.
He is a very pretty shade of gold.
BB is nearly out so I will have winter gold to admire .
Little arborea flower is still looking dainty in the cold.

I have moved a lot of my coldies out of the shadehouse into the open . They are liking being outside . Its a moveable garden here at the moment .
Warmies in more shelter and coldies out.
Come spring , it will be the other way around.

Musical plants ...lol

Chrissy , lovely combination in those pods.
I love the double yellows. I just hope Clementine behaves and flowers a lot more in spring.

I am hoping Mango Cornet will open a few flowers as she is in a more sheltered place.
PP is right next to her also with buds.

Been raining all night and all day and so far this week we have had about 2 inches of lovely rain.

Nice and steady so its not knocking the brugs around and the wind is not as bad either when its raining like this.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9173718

GHA certainly makes beautiful kids Jean.
So happy you found him.
I hope your blooms get to open for you, they may be pale though ...like this (I quite forgot her)
Our beautiful PP in Winter white. still a lovely shape, just adore her don't you ?

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 21, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #9173806

Rained all day here...so one of the Brugs turned into a fish..
It's a new type of Tetra it's a Tantra...lol

I'm in one of those moods, can't you tell...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9174706

I think there may be a few swimming around here too Dianne.
Still raining so I havent been out looking...lol

Have fun
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9174894

Big wind here ...love your water Brug Dianne, more water coming your way by the looks of things.
Too windy here to venture out yet, probably finished off the Brug blooms.
Never mind only a few weeks until Spring, I keep telling myself that. :-)
Have a great day everyone !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 21, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9175047

Went out for a moment to check the pods, all ok, then looked at a few buds...the bottom of them was filled with water, same as summer...so I pinched out as many as I could..
I thought that it was condensation, but in Winter?

You're right about Ivoire, Chrissy...it is a trooper like all the Aureas, still flowering in spite of the very cold winds...I will be interested to see how it goes in your summer humidity...

I have a flower almost out on the double white that I like, Charleston x Apricot Queen...it's got a bend in it,but I'm interested in seeing it's Winter flower.

PP is just as lovely in Winter, marvellous shape...Tantra seems to be going to flower, it's buds aren't damaged at all...

I thought that I would cheer myself up by putting some pics of Joseph's Coat, (Angel's Flight x Charleston) in Summer. It's such a pretty thing and I really like it's early colours...there are a few pods on it and some buds still...
I try not to think of cestrum's comment re the big lips...lol... this one recurves as it ages...but because it has so many flowers, you don't focus on the recurved ones...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9175062

Love these pretty pictures ...I find the buds gush water after lots of rain, if you have had a fair bit of rain the buds will just pour the water out when you pinch them. It's worse in Summer because the water actually seems to cook the calyx somehow, the cells seem to swell up and explode. In the Winter it probably only cause heaviness in the unopened calyx, perhaps causing the bud drop. Whatever it may cause, I do nip the tips off the calyx if there is a lot of rain (when I can reach them ). Edited to say that the brugs suck the water up and seem to try and expel the excess through the buds ...is what it seems like to me.

How exciting that you have pods on that pretty thing. Lots of beautiful doubles in the future ! :-)
I am kind of sorry I chopped up HOPE now because it may do the full double thing too, perhaps with maturity since it had more fully formed half dropped inner skirt going on than Melissa Amy did.

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 1:10 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9175100

You mean "lips" like these pink ones, Dianne? LOL
Beautiful pics of JC. I'll have to make a note of the cross because there are now too many beautiful seedlings to remember them all otherwise--what a problem!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9175111

So I too went out side and it isn't freezing but it's a cool wind blowing quite strongly and knocking everything around.
This new little cutie is blowing sideways almost as I tried to snap it, it's head is right up there copping it pretty badly but it's still here !
The seedlings I put out in their cot leaves only stage are slowly growing. I am quite surprised. Lets see how they go in the really cold days now.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9175128

Yes what a terrible problem :-)...Not :-)

I forgot, it's Friday ! (already again).
Just got my last lot of seeds from over the pond, that will do me now, lots of our own to play with now as well.
This last lot are Joli (fat lips) x Angel's Honeymoon, ha ha ha that is funny (mind pictures).
and Chabilis x Sam.
I was not going to buy any more but then Liz said Joli sets pods really easily (and we know she carries both colour and possible doubles) and well we all know what Sam does as well as having both pinks and yellows in it.

I know I will hate all that work next Spring but, well I am a brug nut ! :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9175143

I've just harvested these: FFA x Golden Butter#2 seedpod; C. diurnum berries; one coffee bean (might have to try it coated in chocolate, either that or make the world's smallest cup of coffee). The seedpod appears to contain kernels but won't know how viable they are until I sow a few.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9175178

That brown staining inside the pod is a bit of a worry ...give them a dip in something that will knock out any possible rot issues. Are you going to spot check one to see what the seed is doing ?
Fingers crossed for you, that should be a beauty !
poor lonely little coffee bean :-)

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9175186

Not that lonely, Chrissy; I just haven't picked the others yet :-)
I've checked four corks from that seedpod and they contain plump, cream, larger aurea-sized kernels, so they certainly look viable. I remember Allan saying that he had FFA x Fernando (or vice versa) crosses. They should almost certainly produce many if not all doubles--but what colour and shape, I wonder? Maybe with added fragrance? Mine will probably produce mainly singles, but what colour and shape ...?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9175190

Wonderful, I bet yellows for that cross ! Edited to say yours I mean re yellow, with The other cross ...perhaps everything from whites to pink and or yellows.
Congratulations !

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 2:46 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 21, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9175215

My pods look like that, cestrum...like a bunch of dates stuck together...I put a couple of drops of bleach in, just in case when I rinsed them, the seed inside looks ok, but it seems to take ages for the seed case to harden up...Are they supposed to stay soft for a while...this is my first year with seeds and I'm not sure about a lot of things...
For eg:- How long should I leave them to dry before I store them in the fridge...
I want to get this right, for when the PPfasciation seeds ripen...if they do...big fat pods that they are...

I am sure that I heard the seeds rattle in the first pod that I picked, since then they all look like dates...if all of the ones that I have opened for practise and thrown on the ground, grow...I will be in a forest..

HELP.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9175271

Gosh, I haven't really been paying attention to all that. Er, I don't rinse them after harvest either, just lay them out to dry for at least a fortnight, often a month, in an open saucer. Preferably with the corks not touching each other, but 4 weeks ensures they dry good and proper. I haven't had any mould develop on any of my own crosses, even though some have been stored in those ziplock bags for a couple of years. After 2-4 weeks, I put each cross into its own ziplock bag and then all the bags into one of those rigid plastic storage boxes which, in summer, goes into the garage but is now in the house as it's cold inside most of the time. No room in the fridge here!
But Chrissy will tell you the proper way to harvest and store seeds for greatest viability and longevity :-)

chrissy100 wrote:Wonderful, I bet yellows for that cross ! Edited to say yours I mean re yellow, with The other cross ...perhaps everything from whites to pink and or yellows.

Any colour from white to pink. Or any combination thereof :-)
Oh, for a crystal ball!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9175273

PS Perhaps rinsing the seeds after harvest might help prevent many of the wilt problems I've had, although I generally soak the kernels in a weak hydrogen peroxide solution before sowing. But you're best off doing whatever Chrissy does as she has better success than I do at raising seedlings to maturity.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 2:31 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9175311

I have a long table that I use to dry my seeds(inside) ...I lay them out on Kitchen Towels (crosses written on the paper towels), spread them well apart and just wait until they are really dry to the touch (pick up and feel between your fingers.) Depending on the weather it should only take two or three days. I then store them in little paper envelopes. I have never stored them in the refrigerator before, only in boxes in the cupboard (in unheated area). This year I have them in the crisper of the refrigerator, they are in large coffee tins.
The only seeds I rinse when harvesting is the Aurea that have that slimy choko stuff on them.
Fresh seeds have a softer cork than older seeds usually ...they harden up when you dry them.(still softer than old ones though.)
I would always use peroxide or a teaspoon of bleach in soak water. Just in case.
By the way one of my pods was broken by the truck going through (along with some branches) and the seeds were very pale, I knew they were reasonably mature in age, so I risked it and planted them straight into an enclosed plastic take away container, in damp sterile washed river sand and they have come straight up ...so there is another thing to try if your pod drops off in bad weather. Not sure if I am happy or not re multiple BF donor seeds, it was basically an experiment, I am a sucker for baby brugs so I guess I will grow them out.
Don't be frightened about your seeds Dianne, I am sure you will do a great job with them.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9175327

chrissy100 wrote:Not sure if I am happy or not re multiple BF donor seeds, it was basically an experiment, I am a sucker for baby brugs so I guess I will grow them out.
Don't be frightened about your seeds Dianne, I am sure you will do a great job with them.

Remind me again, what does BF stand for?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9175346

Buck's Fizz ...there are dozens of pods on two BF trees, I didn't do it ...I think it must be PP or Calamine who is the culprit but who knows????
Isn't it terrible ? once I would have given anything for such things, now I want to pick what crosses. :)
Luckily TT and Heart of Gold co operated, Fernando had a visit from some donor too, It grows right next to Heart of Gold but I think it is probably Love Potion no 9 or Earth Angel x Pink Smitty as they are both full of donor pods and are up close to Fernando,
of course I am hoping it was Pink EA x Pink Smitty that was the daddy but I think anything would hopefully be good.
To have pods on doubles is the stuff of dreams, having a double was the challenge and now we have pods on doubles, it's thrilling really. Of course we see some real duds comes from doubles sometimes ...I just want one or two beautiful ones, I can say I made myself, don't we all ?
I am very proud of Ivoire, and it is just a really cute very strong little Aurea, it will go with me when I move.I am even more proud that Dianne is proud of it, Dianne, it really deserves to go in the next Herald (BGI).

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:24 PM

Post #9175348

Maybe Buck's Fizz?

Those mature pods that I mentioned were all PP and they were sticky just like dates, that's why I rinsed them..
Thanks to both of you for the info, I am doing a bit of both, paper towels for a couple of weeks...keeping them apart...then into ziplock bags and into the crisper...all of my OS ones are in there too.

Chrissy, I know that you have always been an advocate for growing the seeds in the river sand, but it doesn't work for me...don't know why, just can't...so I don't try now...just seed raising mix, I don't lose many so that has to do...
Dianne..
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9175349

I know what you mean about the unwanted (in this case, Bucks Fizz) pods--the dilemma would have been unbelievable a few short years ago! Now there are just too many other promising, and named, crosses that take priority in terms of time and attention. Maybe sow just one or two seeds from each BF pod? Or bite the bullet now and cut off those pods before they ripen? (But I don't think you have the stomach for that, Chrissy, you for whom no brug is ugly LOL)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9175350

Has anyone else had a a BB x GHA flower for them yet please?

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 5:25 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9175353

I am waiting to see my golden boys offspring too Colleen. I have a couple here but no Y as yet.
I love to see all the pods everyone has coming on.
I have only ever had the one lot from a couple of years back . ( #44 x GHA )
I am hoping for all mine to hang on this year..
I was disappointed when the wind knocked the pod off GHA from Senorita Rosada, but maybe next time.
I'll have to superglue the pods on the trees...lol

Dianne, I have success with seeds in a mix of coir & perlite.
If I plant in the biodegradable pots, I can just plant the whole thing in a large pot when the time comes.

Jean.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 5:40 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9175370

Colleen, I don't have any of that cross...but I remember you posting a pic a while back...
Could you post again, to jog my memory?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 21, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9175371

Thanks for getting back to me Jean. As this was one of Brian's seedlings I thought that It's worth naming. Introducing. BB x GHA Golden Memories. Colleen

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 5:27 PM

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9175380

chrissy100 wrote:
I am very proud of Ivoire, and it is just a really cute very strong little Aurea, it will go with me when I move.I am even more proud that Dianne is proud of it, Dianne, it really deserves to go in the next Herald (BGI).
chrissy

Chrissy, because you are the hybridizer, you probably love Ivoire the same as I do...definitely not more though...lol
I am only waiting for the results of the cuttings that went out and if everyone considers it as good as we do, then I will register it...
If I can make a cross that produces a gem like Ivoire, then I will be a very proud hybridizer too...

When I think that it was the result of one tiny seed amongst all the ones you must have given away...then I think what could have happened to it with me caring for it at that stage...whew.

Jean, those little pots are best for me too, with plenty of perlite in the seed raising mix...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9175381

Congrats Colleen, lovely flower, lovely name...Brian would be proud...I bet Jean is..
Who is the clever hybridizer?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9175383

Dianne here is a picture of my latest trial (overseas seeds) as talked about. As you can see it is sand, I think it works because it is very aerated even if it is pretty wet, these seedling pop up like grass almost overnight. I put them near the TV that I have at the end of my work table. It's cosy warm there.
The reason I chose washed river sand is because I have heavy clay here I was worried about too much water and the ground being too heavy for my first fancy Brug Old Apricot, so I plonked it into the grand children's old home built sand pit. Of course it was full of sand. I threw in some cow poo and shoved a little rooted plant in there, thinking I would likely lose it but of course three months later I had a huge tree with so many blooms that I couldn't count them all. It won me then and luckily because I have had constant rain for almost 4 years now. We talk about what works for each gardener and this has worked for me here. I am very generous with manures and blood and bone etc when the time is right so they don't starve.

It's a pretty Brug Colleen and a nice name. Is it one from one of the seeds I sent him ? My notes say I sent 5 seeds of that cross to Brian in August 2009. Are they always 6 points like BB ?

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9175384

oops hubby walked in and I forgot the picture ...
Seedlings in sand ... I pot them up at this stage.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9175388

They certainly look good, Chrissy...let's hope that there is another gem in there.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9175390

Jean my notes say you have 10 of those seeds from me as well as 10 of the reverse cross. So look out for them (if you grew them out). Also in August 09.
cestrum too at the same time I sent a cutting of FFA in 09, Lots went out in 09 to many different gardeners long since gone.
I realize some may have been lost or swapped or thrown away because they may not have been considered very exciting but I hope some survived.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 22, 2012
1:05 AM

Post #9175394

Thank you Chrissy. Yes it is your seed, planted by Brian 9/8/09 and flowered by me March 2012. It had a few flowers and they were all the same. I'm going to cut it back soon, it's about 10 ft high and spindley. Shaun has asked for a piece. Does anyone else want any? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9175396

Yes I would like a piece in the Spring/Summer when it is big enough ... thank you. Good job it's lovely to see a cross bloom, I think Brian would be very chuffed.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9175442

Welcome Golden Memories...
Hybridized by Chrissie.
Grown by Brian
Flowered by Colleen
From Jean's golden boy, GHA...and Alistair's Butter Bomb
A real joint effort...well done everyone.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9175517

All are looking good, sorry haven't been around
I thought that you all were in hibination for the
Week as its been so cold, plants are all looking
Fab ,one are doing nothing wish that they were
Just that bit stronger to have blooms throw winter
but it's not and I'm ok with it, I have about 10 varieties
In cuttings ready for the spring to sell at either markets
Or on eBay which I don't know which 1 yet.
Colleen Golden Memories looks really nice the color
Is very attractive and from good genes also.

Jean I have also done the same with the warm
vers cold groups in and out of hot houses.

Crestum, those seeds look ok but a coffee in the
morning would not go astray hahaha

Chrissy those blooms are stunning even in pale mode
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 22, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9176254

chrissy100 wrote:Jean my notes say you have 10 of those seeds from me as well as 10 of the reverse cross. So look out for them (if you grew them out). Also in August 09.
cestrum too at the same time I sent a cutting of FFA in 09, Lots went out in 09 to many different gardeners long since gone.
I realize some may have been lost or swapped or thrown away because they may not have been considered very exciting but I hope some survived.

I've noted in my gardening diary that both crosses germinated but won't know until repotting in spring whether any have survived. The FFA cutting was successful and has flowered, both inground and (a later one I took from it) in a pot.

chrissy100 wrote:Lots went out in 09 to many different gardeners long since gone.

So sad ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 22, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9176306

Chrissy, I still have 2 of GHA x BB and 2 of the reverse cross here. The others all went toes up in the bad frost a year or two ago. The ones left are doing well.. I also found a GHA x Alphonse Mucha still here.
I had so many seedlings back then and it was hard to keep them all out of the frost.
What is left will be a lot stronger.
I now have more room in the shadehouse too , since moving a lot of the epis out.
We dont get a lot of frost but that year was bad fro everything.
I have some seedlings now in the greenhouse , just sitting there in contemplation . They are looking good about 3 "high nad will shoot away in spring.

I planted a few of each of the new OS ones I had , in a large poly box which is sitting in the greenhouse also. It is an experiment to see how they do over winter.. I have tried a few before and found they do quite well although a bit slower.
It means they have a head start to shoot away early in spring.
If they grow here through the cold , they seem to survive whatever weather comes later.
I found another pod on GHA yesterday. It has no tag so either the tag fell off or it was not me doing the pollinating.

I have never seen any water in any of my buds so its interesting to hear you did Dianne.
I can imagine with all the rain up Chissys way , it would happen, but here, we havent seen that much rain.

I still have lots of buds but they are not doing much in the cold. I am hoping to see at least one on OE open.
I checked inside a fallen one of his and it was a triple again.
I am hoping to see all the skirts down in spring?summer.

Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9176389

Ouch ! my toes are frozen ...serves me right for wearing open toed crocs outside in Winter :-)

It's just about all over out there bar the shouting, frizzled stuff everywhere, green Brugs frozen in time ...or so it seems, with just some still in tact for whatever reason.
I have come back in because it's still too cold, even with bright Sunshine !
So here is a sad and sorry contribution today, I so miss the beautiful blooms. Counting the days (weeks) before the flushes start up again.

Remember how Brian had the polystyrene box rigged up with the lid and a light globe inside for warmth ? is that what you are doing Jean ? he was very successful with that.

Yes I did send out so many seeds to not only people in these forums but to people who (lurkers I guess) who begged for seeds.It is a little sad that hardly any came back with results ...for whatever reason. Never mind ...I just hope there are some pretty Brugs growing around the place being quietly enjoyed.

Well here they are ...
1) whiter shade of pale- TT
2) Ditto -Mea Culpa.
3) Calamine (always starts yellow before turning pink)
4) Little new noid -still here ! still with up flung tendrils.
5) Little new noid -with a busy bee, cute pic here ! :-)

Have a beaut Saturday everyone !
chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 22, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9176532

No, Chrissy. I use no light or any sort of heat. I cant be running electricity just for plants .
Mine have to do it hard but it is surprising how many do survive. .

I am watching a couple of seedlings that I tossed a while back.
I mentioned that I had a bit of a cull and just threw the whole plants out under the old nectarine tree.
So far there are 3 very determined plants refusing to die off . I will wait and see what they do.
Maybe one will eventually flower and be th e one we all want. ...lol

Jean.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

June 22, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9176636

This is Mango Cornet today & yesterday ( so excited ) good colour from Allan ( cutting )

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9176641

For anyone who has missed it ...
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/23377-new-seedling-butter-bomb-x-glass-house-angel/page__gopid__289249#entry289249

Well done colleen.
Now you can put it into the cultivar section once it is grown by cutting and flowered true. You can then name it.

I am with you re no extra heating Jean but I germinate my seeds inside now because it's quick and no headless babies.
I just use the warm of things I always have on, like the TV and Foxtel thingy, it's quite warmish there.
Good luck with your wild sprouts.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 22, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9176645

Wow Gena it's a stunner !
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

June 22, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9176661

Quite lovely, beautiful colour on such healthy foliage. Very thrilling for you, Gena :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9176758

Good for you Gena, well done...what a lovely colour... it may get even darker up there in the tropics...it obviously loves the weather at the moment.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 22, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9176773

Chrissie, I was wondering why you called Ivoire "cute" and now I know...this morning a couple of flowers opened and they are much smaller than normal...at least an inch in width smaller...so in Winter it obviously saves it's energy and produces smaller flowers...
I told you it was perfect and now we can say it's very clever as well...I have at least another 20 + buds at various stages, so it may well continue on and have a rest in August.

The flowers are a bit damaged, but still beautiful and now cute too.

Surprisingly Bruce's PInk below the fenceline has lots of buds too...BF, PP and most of the others have discarded their buds.
Tantra has lots and shows no signs of dropping them...Maya has some but she has reduced the size of her flowers too...look at her skinny buds...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9176808

Gena that is stunning color on Mango Cornet
Also I think that you should be trying to do some
Crosses as the temperature has dropped, I was told
That there is some one up in your area that is
Breeding brugs also. I then think that you could also
Be involved in seed and cross production
Shaun
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 23, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9177729

I have a question about Butter Bomb for those who grow it...I have seen much talk about 6 pointed BB blooms but does it 'always' produce these or just sometimes? BB was one I had to leave behind when I moved house last year but I now have a cutting of it again and will hopefully see some blooms in Spring.
Allan
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 23, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9177876

Allen, I have BB from Chrissy and I find it always has 6 pointers with also 5 pointers among them.
Certainly a lovely brug to have .
Mine is still flowering even in the cold here.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 23, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9177964

Alan yes BB does not only give a high number of six pointers but quite frequently 7 pointers too. It 's a very special Brugmansia.
It makes pretty babies if you cross it to other Aurea.
I have people here so I am missing in action today :-)
Hope everyone enjoyed their day.
It was 1C here this morning.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9179060

This is the seed pod of B.aurea(form) X.'Culebra' it's about 2 1/2months old and looking good, there are other crosses on the same plant that have had stronger pollen and the pods are twice the size of this one at the same age.
I am so excited about this pods especially when it will be harvested and ready to sow i wonder what will come of the cross

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 24, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9179200

Good luck with that pod Shaun,
yes I wonder what the result will be ?

Well it's been around 1C very early this morning, everything is featuring in brown frizzle or almost white,
surprised to find this sweet seedling still in tact -pic1)
Ivoire still going, interesting re smaller blooms Dianne, these are a little larger than Glass House Angel, how much larger do they get ? pic 2)
Lots of green brugs sort of frozen in time ...just sitting there. Poor little things have to stay out there in the cold I don't blame them.
others in the Winter Whites- pic 3)
oopsy on the last 2 -4) -5) sorry TT in um er cream ?
Stay warm everyone, the crockpot is on and I am staying inside until it warms up a bit. :-)
Harvesting PP pods and BB pods (ripened off) so I can fix them up today ...dry off etc.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 24, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9179397

Chrissie, if your Ivoire flowers are larger than GHA, then that is their normal size...
Here they are only 4ins across in this weather...that's why I thought you were calling them "cute".

I had to pull this flower off with a rake so it left all of it's works behind...
Sorry about the blurred pic, but I couldn't hold the ruler and take the pic at the same time...

That will be interesting Shaun...has anyone used Culebra pollen successfully OS?
If they have I haven't read anything about it...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9179408

I had read that an Australian had used it successfully and had a few seedlings but that was all
the thread was from a different site

Gosh Ivoire is a stunner hay cant wait till he pops his head out here in my garden

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 25, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9179417

I asked over on BGI, Shaun...I thought that Mario might have tried, he's very keen on Culebra...
Alistair grew it, maybe he's the "Australian"...

You will like Ivoire, it's a good plant...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9179426

http://ibrugs.com/Community/iBrugsCommunityPods/PodsView/tabid/222/asg/3/aft/673/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx
this is the only reference that i have top any one having success with a cross involving 'Culebra'

i have spoken with Mario and he has had no success crossing 'Culebra' so at the moment im the only one that has and i hope some one else with have success also

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 25, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9180679

Thanks for the info Shaun...shame that they didn't keep posting...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9181035

Brrrrrrrr ...so cold today !

Mr Frosty was again around last night ...light but leaving his trail all around the garden, not crunchy yet but I think we are heading that way.
Hope I am not boring you with these pics taken today but since almost everything is finishing up I like to look at the survivors.
Introducing a shivering Tintarella, pretty good when I look around at the frost frizzles. It's a bit longer and wider than Ivoire,of course Winter does not tell the real story.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9181046

Poison is being Valiant ...a bit smaller than Summer Blooms but still very arresting in appearance. Very Jurassic looking :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9181072

Here is Melissa Amy trying very hard to open but it's too cold- I wanted to show you her skirts up inside, she too will be a multiple in Spring instead of the semi double I thought she was. Very excited.
pic 1) and 2)
pic 3) and 4) Mea Culpa in Winter colour ( I think -the original description was a yellow PP x ? cross-so assuming it is MC).

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 25, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9181097

I hope you are not sick of TT, if you are sorry but since she looks so different in Winter ...it's almost like a different Brug, I love this creaminess and extra curliness of the Winter dress. Then the palest Peach.
Then it's Ivoire the little warrior.
Last is Fernando in a very brave pale double skirt, poor darling, I want to put a coat on him :)
So stay warm and hopefully have a happy day everyone.

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 25, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9181205

Lovely pics , Chrissy.
My brugs are looking good in the cold. No frost here but very low temps.
I think the showers during the day help keep the bruggies going in the cold. I have pods that have been shed but still plenty left on the plants.
They may not open though as they are very slow to grow now.
GHA is full of lovely blooms and I am still surprised to see them such a nice color instead of the winter pale.

My pods are growing well so I am looking forward to some nice seeds to grow next season.

Chrissy, HOPE is doing very well on the veranda. . She is big enough to sit & chat with Ivoire now.
I see another flower coming on one of the knightiis.
There are new seedlings just sprouting in the greenhouse so a nice start to spring plants.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 25, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9181311

Love all the pics, Chrissy...nice to see them dressed for Winter...Twilight Time does look different, but beautiful...
How many flowers did your cutting of Ivoire produce?

Are your GHA flowers a bit smaller, Jean?...I thought being an Aurea they might be...though Chrissy's Poison does it too...and that isn't an Aurea.
Nice to know that your seedlings are doing well...

I am hoping that this double white from Autumn opens up...so far so good, until it gets windy...I need a ladder for some of these..
This curly pod has split in the curved part, so a lot of the seeds will be lost...I am hoping that there will be a few good ones it's the double white x RFP...the curved FFA x white double has done the same thing, so we'll see what happens.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 26, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9182368

No Dianne, surprisingly, GHA flowers are exactly like the summer blooms. Not smaller at all.

I must get out and take a pic. He is far hardier than even BB here, because BB has had its buds for the same time and none are open yet.

Cestrums Big Floppy Apricot has also had the buds for quite a while without them opening. They have grown quite long but still closed.
Maybe a bit of sun will help. Looks like we may get a sunny day later.

I found a bud on Frosty Pink and the white suavoleons yesterday.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 26, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9182579

I am finding quite a few of the Winter blooms are a little smaller, not all but a few.

Dianne the Ivoire blooms were 6 on a small plant ...I can see it will be a profuse bloomer when it gets bigger, the other cutting is yet to bloom but it is doing well and in more shade (I like to trial in different situations if I have more than 1cutting of the same plant.) It is a darling Brug. Sorry about the curved pod but they do tend to be unsuccessful (the ones I have had anyway). Good luck with the double white, how strange that Melbourne has been warmer than where I live this year ...I feel like I am living somewhere completely different than here, lack of Sun for so much of the last four years and much cooler Summers than usual (not that I mind more temperate temps - my Brugs aren't amused, though the boredom must have caused this sudden explosion of pods :-)) ...really crazy !

Jean Brugs with lots of Versicolor in them want to wait until the other buds mature enough for the tree to give one huge flush. So they seem slower sometimes. Of course the lack of Sun and warmth slows most of them down. (The more tropical ones).It's Winter so really we are lucky to get any Blooms at all, I feel a bit cruel leaving them out there to shiver but this is Australia and they have to be tough or forget it. I am a great fan of growing by seed as I think it hardens the plants up and the next generations may be tougher because of it.

Well we didn't get frost last night ...a bit of a showery sky saved us, so some Brugs are still here ...Tintarella in 1 2 3 and 4 is Ivoire in the front with Tintarella behind ...delicious fragrance similar to BB very yummy (can't wait to smell her in Summer) despite the appearance in the last pics she is bigger than Ivoire but still quite petite and more yellow than it appears in the picture ...you can see the colour deepening in the morning Sun in pic 1.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 26, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9182589

Next is Melissa Amy ...very brave of her and the faint colour is creeping in ...I think the cold is going to get her but I am well pleased for her future :-) pic 1)
Fernando ...bless him , trying so hard in the cold wet weather. Pic 2)
Bees gone nuts in the Poison blooms.Pic 3)
Wayne's Yellow- not sure if it is Mea Culpa or another yellow cross. Giant ? ...description was a yellow seedling. It's lovely and has a big flush.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 26, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9182600

And of course ...TT , can't help myself ...

Have a lovely cosy day everyone ...Winter is for Crock pots simmering, snuggling under doonas and dreaming of Spring.
Reading our Brug Bible too of course :-)

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 26, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9182905

Chrissy, your pics of Fernando valiantly trying to put a little colour in his lovely bloom, make me smile...aren't we lucky this year having flowers so late...this time last year, I had none...

The difference in growth in the various areas is very interesting...for instance because I'm near the sea, the wind above the fence kills off most growth...and yet a couple of kilometres away on the farm where Mick is, not a leaf has gone from those full size bushes...and they are still flowering quite well...Ecuador Pink, Buck's Fizz, a white single, Maya and a cutting of Adele Essex that has grown really well,

I have mentioned the farm before, because I am SO jealous, when I see the huge bushes growing in the open without any protection, except what they give each other...Adele Essex sits by herself and is growing just as well...I was training Adele as a standard and the growth has stayed that way and this year, she looked very pretty...

A question for anyone who grows both Buck's Fizz and Mango Cornet...if you could only have one, which would you choose?

Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 26, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9182911

Bucks Fizz I think Dianne. For the small compact shape and loads of blooms. That's here of course and also my Mango Cornet is still in a pot so don't know it's full potential as yet. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 26, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9182920

Dianne, here in my area, I would always choose Mango Cornet.
Bucks Fizz is a real fizzer here.
Just wont do much whatever the weather.
Its also very tasty to the spider mites , where they dont bother MC much at all.

Besides, I think MC is so much brighter.
For me here anyway.

I have just been out and about looking at all the brugs after this mornings -2C
Aside from a leaf or two that fell off on the knightiis , all are simply growing like it was spring already.
Of course this may change quickly if the temps keep dropping for too long.
Having a sunny day after the low temps does help.
My little arborea is still holding its flower nicely after a week.
it does have an second bud which may open .
It sits on the front veranda and has a slight touch of mildew on a few leaves but other than that is coping well with the cold.

My coldies are all growing well but I dont think I will see flowers this year due to the big setback they had with the mites.
The coldies are enjoying being out in the open .
Not entirely open as some are under a piece of shadecloth and others under the warm brugs.

Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9182928

i went to the Botanic Gardens in Melbourne today and took a few Brug snaps
1-2 is aurea from a different plant to which Lucas & i have
3 is sanguinea
the plants were in full flush there and there was no frost bite on the plants either

quote[A question for anyone who grows both Buck's Fizz and Mango Cornet...if you could only have one, which would you choose?]
i cant answer this at the moment as i do not own either of those plants but im sure that i would go with Buck's fizz as i have heard much about it and not that much about MC

we in Croydon got down to a cold 2.6oC over night but all plants are looking good and not frost burn either so it could come around in a week or so but not holding my breath

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 6:13 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9182929

http://brugmansiaworld.blogspot.com.au/
this is where i have all my flowers all at one touch of the mouse hahhahah
Hope you enjoy it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9182936

I have severe wind at times from across the Blue Mountains, so it is often very cold (in Summer so very hot too). My Brugs have had so much water from rain that I was concerned for their survival.The constant grey sky for so long too- it's hard to believe it is Australia.
The Mango Cornet ? well it looks lovely, but I have no experience with it in real life since I don't have it.Being a sibling to BB the Genes are here though.
Bucks Fizz is a great Brug and I am happy with that.

Love your bright happy pics there Shaun ...keep snapping :-)

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 27, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9182952

I do not have Buck's Fizz, only Mango Cornet so cannot make any comparisons.
Chrissy, you mention that BB and MC are siblings and that was my understanding also. I believed that the parentage of BOTH was Buck's Fizz X B.Aurea(Bert) As per Alistair's book that is the parentage of MC but the parents of BB show as Brilliant Orange X B. Aurea(yellow). Is Brilliant Orange another name for Buck's Fizz or are they 2 different blooms?? I am a bit confused. Can anyone help to clarify please.?
Allan..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9182977

Yes it is the same Brugmansia Allan.
Many of the brugs here in Australia have two or more names.Because they are commonly known as both they are listed separately.
Note the heavy print is the cultivar name, the fine print is another name it is known as, ie just like someone called William by birth is also known as Bill or Will or @#$%^ lol. Angels trumpets is a name we use for Brugmansia also :-)

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 27, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9182979

Just spent the last hour looking through the "Brug Bible" What beautiful pic. Congratulations to Alistair, Monika and Adolfo. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9183004

I have just been out side
Talking about Butter Bomb
I have a few pods on BB and 1 of them is pollinated by no other then 'CULEBRA'
was i smitten with it you bet your right arm i was
it was pollinated on 4/6/2012 but it is a very small pod i will be watching it closely to make sure that it reaches gestation. (hope i have it right??)
will post on blog & here a pic soon

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9184090

Here we are ...everything is a whiter shade of Pale :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA

Round the Winter Brug garden this morning.
Fernando is a shade pinker this morning 1 2 3
Poisonhas lost the Green and flairs open like a bread and butter saucer, dig those crazy innards !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9184099

Next is my darling pale pale Melissa Amy, I sure do love this little darling :) I know she goes a real hot raspberry pink in warm weather, that little skirt is just dying to drop down !
Love love love !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 27, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9184112

Tintarella is smelling beautiful even at 10.30 so I love it ...very similar to BB, yummy !
1) is Tintarella and Ivoire (back) 2 &3 Tintarella (loving the tendrils) and of course the pale but wonderful Twilight Time.

Enjoy your day everyone ...yes tomorrow is Friday again and almost one month of our Winter gone ! :-)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9184309

DeadlyNight wrote:
I have a few pods on BB and 1 of them is pollinated by no other then 'CULEBRA'
was i smitten with it you bet your right arm i was

I can imagine your excitement, Shaun...it's a late one so fingers crossed for it...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 28, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9185303

Whoo hoo, it's Friday (yes again )

Looks like a little Sun before a wet weekend so, I am off 20C today they predict so lots to do.

I wonder if Culebra will pass on it's strange ways to Butter Bomb, I have been trying to imagine a sort of shredded looking yellow with snake like leaves ...hmmm.

Enjoy your weekend everyone, hope it's a good one !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 28, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9185425

Here are a couple of Ivoire pics, all still small but perfect...and surprise, surprise GHA is doing the same...
The stick, skinny buds on Maya are starting to open too...this one will be interesting.
The white double is coming out of it's calyx, so if the wind doesn't toss it off, I will be able to see if it's double again.

When GHA opens fully I will measure the flowers...it's sunny today so it may open.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9185727

I got a tinier version of Ivoire today ...ahhhh so cute, just like a fairy Brug Dianne !
Good luck with your buds, we got sun and 20C today wow it was fantastic !
The little sweethearts truly enjoyed it !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9185729

Ahhhh what a rippa it was !
So lucky ! ...the last one is one of Wayne's, can't get up close ...it's about 15 ft tall. Yellow seedling.

Happy weekend ahead !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9186762

Chrissy, aren't they lovely, the little ones...I have little GHA's and the perfume this morning in the freezing cold was as strong as it is in the summer...can't reach the Ivoires...
So the cutting that I took will be much appreciated when I can smell the flowers...all of the cuttings that I gave away, were above the Y, so everyone should have flowers in Spring

The double white is a double, though whether or not the second skirt drops, we'll see...

The first PP fasc twin pods are very large, the ones that I thought might not survive, PP x Bruce's Pink are still growing too, but as you can see nothing like the size of the PP x R Frosty Pink...

The pod at the very top is the one that had a very small flower, not a fasciated one, so I asked Shaun for some DP&G pollen, which he kindly sent...that seems to be OK too...
They are 3 months old now...

This is what the curly pods look like, amazingly there is no rot yet...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9186798

I think that I might take the fasciated branch off the Pink Panther in Spring, once the pods develop..
It has a fair amount of scarring all along the length, where it has rubbed against other branches...
So if it is growing by itself, it will be safer...
I am so used to looking out for it in the bad weather, that I would miss it if some sort of disease got into those lesions.
It isn't a pretty thing with that fasciated top, but it certainly is unusual and it's trying to send out more growth from deep within that curly muddle.

Maybe if the fasciated part grows out one day, I won't be so fond of it, but until then...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9186836

Such a fascinating thing (no pun intended) :-) I think I can see a small hole in an exposed seed there Dianne, have a good look at it because sometimes something gets into the seed and eats it out. I wonder if the F.affected cutting will continue it's growth and produce yet more 10 tendril PP blooms.

I could smell Ivoire this morning ...it has a slightly more almond note than GHA, other than that slightly less fragrant but still present at 11ish ...and wonderful ! see pics of this cute pixie Ivoire !

Tintarella is very fragrant ...very similar to BB, I am in heaven sniffing these Brugs side by side, so happy because I thought the weather would cruel it for them but whallaaah ...here they are !

Melissa Amy also had a pretty soft fragrance too ! I also have Bengal Tiger with it's Wintery rubber leaves (they are normal in Summer) and it's blooms are white, still you can see the nice shape and it too smells lovely !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 29, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9186843

Here are Bengal Tiger blooms ...still white (I don't know if they will get any colour in this weather because these ones like heat.)
They do have a very nice shape.
This Melissa Amy is sitting up looking into the sun ...almost seems to be sun baking :)
The neat Hospital tucks on the sweet Tintarella, you can't see the real colour in the picture, it's like Barley Sugar toffee all aound the edges, very sweet.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 29, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9186857

I don't expect to see anymore fasciated flowers Chrissy, just normal growth now...

Ivoire isn't as strongly perfumed as GHA even in Summer, love your pics...

I like the hospital tucks description...far kinder than the " Botox lips"...lol
It will be interesting to see Melissa Amy this Spring...she is a pretty one.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9187169

Lol no Botox lips here Dianne, just neat and prim Hospital tucks, just like the nurse has tucked up those sheets on the bed so tight you could bounce a penny off.

The Sapphire blue sky made all the Brugs look beautiful today ...I love Winter sky (when it appears) ...it framed Ivoire so beautifully.

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9187905

I just had to run out in the rain to get a couple of pics of my golden boy.
Heres GHA in the rain in the middle of our winter.
As you can see, he is full of buds and flowers..
pic 1... is the first tree.
pic 2...is the other with its twin trunks.
pic 3...just for contrast, a winter pic of GHA in June 2011
pic 4 ... the pods on aurea Lucas . ( a cutting still only about 18 "high. but has another flower coming )

You can see that the color of the flower is still golden although a few are paler in the cold.
The flower size doesnt seem to change.
I have seen the flowers in different shades of pale yellow through to the orange/gold all year round .

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9188033

looking @ all of those blooms makes me happy but also envious as my plants are differently in there winter hibernation state.

Munchausen, aurea (form), Tantra x.aurea(form), Dr seuss, aurea [Hull Rd] all have buds on them but weather they make an appearance or not time will tell, Munchausen is defiantly a cold weather specialist from my limited experience it buds are about 6" lond and have not fallen of with the coldest night of the year so far at about 1.3oC

this time next week ill be in QLD probably have been to the QLD Garden show and will hopefully have dizzy spin, ? Wedding Day not sure but there are more then one stall im sure with "AT"

have been very crook this week with the dreaded cold - Flu, Cold and have just got over it

Hope all is well and the gardens are not getting to much damage from the frosts if they have accrued in your area's

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9188074

They look good Jean ...but then GHA always does :-)

Oh Shaun sorry to hear you have been unwell, your body probably went into shock after your tropical trip away !
yes I agree re seeing some blooms in the garden at this time of the year, I was so happy to see them, that I could have kisses them.
I told them how beautiful they are !

Down the jungle path I see the older brugs going off (all with muted but lovely tones) ...when the grounds dry off a bit I am wondering if there may be some Arborea pods cooking away.
The Sauveolens look beautiful at this time of the year with their open flared faces and jade shadows.
To think that I almost chopped them all right back- I would have missed all this ! (I probably should have, I know).
Glad you are feeling better !

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday ...it's July ! already. (yikes !!!!!)

chrissy

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 11:43 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 30, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9188197

Shaun, sorry that you've been ill, your trip to Q should help you recover.

Jean, your golden boy is getting even better here, now in the cold weather his perfume stays around all day...
Ivoire is doing the same, even though the aurea perfume is a bit different...yes they are almond notes Chrissy, I always need your nose to identify them...I had to break a flower from the top to see if it was perfumed too.

In this cold, crisp air the perfume is lovely and on the other side of the garden the Wintersweet dominates with it's lemony perfume...

So in my garden the Vireyas, Daphnes, Jonquils, Wintersweet and Brugmansias are making a gift to the senses...perfume where ever you turn...
Who cares about the cold...for a few minutes anyway.
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9188237

MMMMM sounds delicious !!!!!
I love Wintersweet ! , it all sounds glorious !
I think you are having a very early Spring, how strange that Victoria has been warmer this last couple of seasons than NSW , or at least where I live. The sun at the moment is very welcomed but it's getting very gusty, the rain is coming.

I forgot to say good luck shaun I hope you score some treasures up QLD way, it sounds exciting.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9188307

So I was wandering around outside and found something that thrilled me(yes I know it's too cold ) but !!!!

cestrum I found a Double Pink of yours about to bloom ! ...it was hiding under a leaf, oh happy day !

here it is ! it's been quite a slow grower but who could blame it with no sun for months !, well finally the winter sun has beckoned it to open. I know I won't see it's true beauty until next Spring but it's a thrill ! fingers crossed huh as we have moderate frosts ahead this coming week.
Well here it is pic no 1... :-)

Many thanks
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9188324

Jean love the GHA bloom its stunning the way which you picked up the shadows and the light, that pod looks like many of mine at the moment so i think all of us will have seeds all at the same time.

Chrissy that seems like a lot of hard work of Cestrums plant to sneek a bloom out in the heart of winter but still as you said These HAPPY DAYS
Melissa Amy what color is she dressed in during the summer period at the moment she looks very delicate and beautiful also what is here heritage ?????????????/

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 3:42 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 30, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9188337

I noticed today when I opened a few of the fallen buds, that the flowers are not growing much inside even though the buds are quite long.
BB especially has teeny little flowers in nearly mature size buds

I dont blame them not wanting to waste energy in winter.

Shaun , enjoy your stay up north. I hope you see some sun there.
Keep warm even if you think you have lost that cold. They can sneak back when you least expect it.

The sun has come out here. Not much use at this time of day as everything is too wet to even pull a weed.
Back to the heater.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9188342

This is Earth Angel x Sam Shaun and she is a lovely hot raspberry pink in warm temps. She isn't delicate , very waxy strong texture. she is amazing ! she is one that looks pretty no matter what the weather is. I like her rich green leaves too. She is very petite and feminine.

Yes I am very excited about cestrum's D.pink, I told her she was a very brave gal and blew her a kiss :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 30, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9188348

I noticed that in my garden too Jean. I never thought i would get any blooms, but we actually had a few sunny days here and there, it's surprising how quickly the Brugs grow with the mild Sun ...we had 20C which was warmer than most of our Spring here, the difference was Sun !
Never mind 2 months to Spring it will go quickly.

chrissy.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

June 30, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9188357

Thanks to everyone who have been posting bloom photos. Really appreciated by me as I have not a single bloom at present.
I appear to have my first seedpod maturing(Mango Cornet X Fernando) as it has starting to turn pale yellow. I am surprised as it has only been 14 weeks since pollination. Hope it has vaible seeds and not a dud!

Sorry to hear about your flu Shaun.. I know how you feel as it also got me 2 weeks ago. Next year when my local GP offers me a free flu shot I will not decline.

I am also going to attend the Qld Garden Expo at Nambour this year(Friday only) and with a bit of luck might get to meet Alistair who will be there for the Qld launch of his new book.
Allan...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9188425

Hi Allan, I hope your pod will be ok ...pods may ripen more quickly up North than here, all the very best with it.
I hope you do catch up with Alistair, you might see Shaun too. Have fun ! (yellowing pod probably won't do much more for you Allan, perhaps harvest when you see shrivelling or softening.)

Now Shaun why did you buy those bits off that place up North, what on earth did he have, that you were willing to risk buying from him ? ...oh dear.

brrr it's cold tonight !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9188973

And it's still cold this morning ...brrrr,
not going out there until it warms up a bit.
I wonder what the weather is like up QLD way ?

I hope the weather is good for the Garden Expo- take some pics Shaun,
we would love to see them.

Have a beaut day everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 1, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9189363

Believe it or not there are some survivors out there ...
moving into July ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1266122/

Thanking everyone for the great thread ! :-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9189621

This is the link to the new thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268845/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America