Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: bugs and diseases treating your plants?

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 198, Views: 1,044
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9174144

So far, I have not had problems with insects apart of the large numbers of holes in the brug leaves. Cannot figure out what's eating the plants. The brugs seem to be blooming very happily. So I leave them alone.

Sprayed the dogwoods and peonies for powdery mildew last weekend. Three of the dogwoods had the mildew already, but the rest were still ok.

One of the vibernums has a pretty bad case of bacterial blight. The recommended treatment is copper-containing bactericides like Bonide Liquid Copper. I can get it online, but shipping will take a while. Does anybody know if any of the local stores might carry it?

Thumbnail by donnerville
Click the image for an enlarged view.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9174149

What a weird title for the post! I put "--" between "diseases" and "treating", but they disappeared once it was posted. Now it looks like bugs and diseases are treating my plants. Oh well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9174159

chuckle
Thats OK, we knew what you meant.
I have Bayered my roses and a Hearts a burstin sapling that has some odd thing going on. Got the Bayer 3 in 1 at swap.
Course now I read about imidacloprid (SP???) being toxic to bees and implicated hugely now in colony collapse. I don't know if its in the Bayer.
I'm lucky to have never seen that kind of leaf on my one Viburnum. Ew.
I do have various munchings and crinklings going on here and there . This is the time to look for brown beetles eating at night. A headlamp, cup of soapy water, handpicking.

I had a bucket of water in the yard yesterday, and overnight,m had five Japanese beetles drown themselves in it. I had not noticed a single JB anywhere before that!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9174236

I have not seen Japanese beetles yet this year. Do you just leave a bucket of water in the garden to catch them? I will give it a try this weekend.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9174248

I left a bucket- just waiting to fill a watering can; no evil intent. A big white five+ gallon bucket that my neighbor shares after using the pool chemicals.
It was odd that they ended up there. Though a soapy bucket under my porch light might yield more.

And really- last year after seeing holes in peach, montauk daisy, potato...I went in the dark and was shocked ,( shocked I tell you!), at the brown beetles on leaves.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9175098

Fighting with Jbs today, blasted them with Bayer, then I'll break out the laundry bottle with a little water in the bottom, I usually knock them off into it yelling "die suckers!!!!"

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9175166

I just came in from a beetle hunt. THe little brown beetles - got at least fifty. They like my Montauk daisies (chrysanthemum family) Feverfew, chrysanthemums, raspberries, (dis)Obedient plant, Centaurea montana, peach tree, some on Brunnera, some plants had just the random one beetle (spiderewort, plum). I did not get back to the vegetable garden.
There were also earwigs up on a lot of plants. I don't know what they were doing. besides looking oh so creepy.

See
http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/caps/pestInfo/asiaticGardenbtl.htm

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 10:46 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9175212

I know earwigs do eat plants(to an extent) but don't they eat other bugs MORE? I thought they were more beneficial than they were destructive?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9175270

sallyg what do your little brown beetles grow up to be? Or are they those asiatic beetles that feed at night while japanese beetles eat during the day? I hear in addition to flowers, they love all sorts of basil.

Thumbnail by coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9175959

coleup wrote:sallyg what do your little brown beetles grow up to be? Or are they those asiatic beetles that feed at night while japanese beetles eat during the day? I hear in addition to flowers, they love all sorts of basil.

They are what they grow up to be, and look just like your picture.
Yes.
I didn't find them on Perilla but the leaves look like they've been there. And my struggling Geranium pratense that was taking nicely to a new spot- gone, in a clearly bug eaten way.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9176088

ewwww
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9176333

Goodness, Sally, you got 50?!

I was so happy to get 3 the other day! I guess I need to keep looking.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9176583

I have a lot of holes in my plants, too. I haven't done much about it but curse. LOL Really should get out there and spray. My daughter Jen says she has what she thinks is soft scale on her Holly bush. I haven't seen that on things other than house plants.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9179092

I have some holes too, but I assumed it was slug damage. I put in a bunch of new Pulmonaria and they completely disappeared in a few weeks -- again, I assumed slugs were the culprit. Might it be this pest?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9179183

it might! Go out in the dark with a flashlight and see.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9180245

OMG!! Fifty beetles!!! I don't think I have ever seen that many. Not that I am complainting ... ;-)

Sprayed the sick vibernum yesterday with a copper containing spray. Will do it again next week. Definitely don't want to lose the plant.

Saw the first Japanese beetle of this season yesterday.

I have used Sluggo, and it was pretty effective.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9181008

Saw a live Japanese beetle eating Virginia creeper today. I couldn't decide whether to kill the beetle lol

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9181063

LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9181713

Attention Hand Pickers

Tired of hand picking those voracious bugs that feed by day and night, and have few natural enimies or enviromentally safe controls?

Try vacuuming them!

Coleups testimonial:

I use a small wet/dry vac with a long extension cord and a small crevice tool end to vacuum up unwanteds like stink bugs, JBs and gypsy moth caterpillers which die in the inch or two of soapy water in the tank. Like sucking up bb s you can hear them going to meet their fate and I am playing my part in balancing the over population of invasive insects with few natural enemies while not over burdening my environs with broad spectrum chemicals and their side effects.

Oh, my vac is strong enough to get the bugs but leave the plant (except for say, roses that would have broken up with a good wind or rain anyhow)

Last summer while eliminating stink bugs looking to overwinter by landing on and climbing the west facing side of my house, I rigged up a longer hose and attached it to a long bamboo pole and found I could reach up almost 25 feet to get those that had almost reached the roof peak.

One word of caution, try not to let the water/bug slurry in the vac splash on you especially with stink bugs on board in your enthusiasm to reach for just one more!

I have also used this to vacuum up those inevitable ant colonies that love my stacked pots.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9182620

LOL What a great idea I would have never thought of doing something like that.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9182994

The JBI saw last weekend flew off as soon as I touched it. A vacuum cleaner would have sucked it right up. LOL!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9183701

I have used the shop vac for stink bugs and just burned the bag. It may not smell as bad with the soapy water, I'll keep that in mind. Ric
I've been picking JBs off the roses for over a week now. We get quite a few Asiatics in the pool, I guess I won't complain about having to skim them rather that having them nosh the plants. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9184537

Can we get our NEEM discussion over here?
We're debating whether it needs to NOT be used in hot weather because other horticultural oils can burn the leaves when used in the sun or hot weather, if I underrstand that.
NEEM is diluted a lot, does the warning apply?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9184607

I told the guy at the information desk at Merrified Garden Center that I had just sprayed some of my trees and shrubs for powdery mildew. He said I should not spray anything if the temperature is above 80 (or was 85?) degrees. That's just about our entire summer. I still spray tress and shrubs in the evening if the day time temperature is below 90F. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9184645

Yes warning still applies even if diluted, cause as you know water and oil don't really mix

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9184667

Thanks, sally----

I was not even aware of this Thread----as it was not on my "watched" list...

I will continue here...later...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9184941

I will post pictures of my sad looking Butterfly Bushes.

I just want to correct something that was mentioned on the Tropicals Thread re this.
The B.B looked like this BEFORE I sprayed them with Neem--not after.

Haven't been outside yet to check on the brugs and Tomatoes. Too hot!
What does one do on such a hot day? Why! Go shopping--of course.

Did the rounds...now will chill a bit inside--watch Dr. Phil and then go outside to water a bit.
WE NEED RAIN!!!!!

If you look close--those small yellow spots/speckles on the leaves---a sure sign of Spider Mites.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9184976

Went out and took a picture of an affected leaf on my Dr. Seuss Brug.
See the same thing??? Spider Mite "tracks"...

When you see this--you need to act fast, as a lot of damage has already been done.

Sorry! Double clicked on the same picture. is there a way to remove a picture
when it is already in the "Browse" frame????

G.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9185036

Gita, thank you for the Dr Seuss picture. I will take a look at mine to see if they have the same problem.

If you do not want the picture that you have already put in the Browse field, you can highlight the text in the Browse field and use the Backspace key to get rid of it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9185058

Yup- my butterfly bush does have spider mites. And so does one small Datura- DID, which I just put out of its misery. Why spend the next three-5 terribly hot days pampering a dying little datura full of bad bugs?

The butterfly bush at ChicFil A is beautiful and green. Not fair!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9185063

Thanks, sally! There is so much I DO NOT know...

I just live in the small world of what i do know--and what is comfortable.

Then again--I never heard of a computer until 1983. My daughter convinced me I would love
it once I had it.
Back then--I never heard of DG either..."Garden Web" was my first venture into gardening web-sites.
Never really felt at home there...:o(

Then--someone suggested I check out DG. The rest is history...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9185084

SallyG---

Your Brug would have survived! Spider Mites can be washed off with a strong stream of water and some soap.
The difficulty is--that they are on the undersides of the leaves. Hard to spray!

I will not give up on my Dr. Seuss. it is the only one I have! Will do more spraying--and do some
Systemic Granules in and around the pot.n Just glad S.M. are not a "systemic" problem.

My pink NOID one has subtle signs of the S. Mites. Will have to do the same--while the plant is small--
I can hand-spray with an insect killer (with Pyrethrins) on the undersides. When they get to be 6' tall--that is a different story.

I have never had this problem to this extent. I think it HAS TO BE the warm winter and the hot weather and dryness.
Cannot keep the plants properly hydrated!!!
I have always prided myself of keeping my plants bug -free in the garden and in the house.

IF you have Ivies--watch out! Spider Mites love to go on Ivies. Since Ivies do not need to be all that
watered that often--they are magnets for S.Mites.

IF you start seeing leaves dying off--drying out---looking mottled---take the whole plant and dunk it
into a bucket of soapy water. Your tub works great too. Just put a plastic bag around the pot to hold in the soil and
dunk--dunk--up and down. Use your hands to squish and wash the plant. It won't hurt an Ivy. They are tough!
Then rinse it off--right in your shower. That should help a lot.

Well--I am going outside--to once again--soak all my beds. There go a couple of hours!!!

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9185099

I need to check mine out too. It is going great guns, no buds yet.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9185505

No worries, it was not a BRUG that I killed, those are fine. It was a DATURA seedling, grown for a friend who got too busy to want it, then stuck in the garden. Very sickly, no great loss.

I used some Bayer 3 in 1 from ssg on my Brugs

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9188798

I'm at the moment glad I do not live where this thing can live
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/842/
Six inches!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9188799

That reminds me - my datura seeds did nothing... very sad. As for the neem mixes..sadly I forgot about the heat thang and misted my 'shooting star' gardenia and lilies last night. I hate those dang mites - actually I should photograph the nasty creatures so someone can tell me what they are. All the plants look fine - bite marks here and there but nothing I can't live with. However - when I was out there attempting to get a stake in the ground to pull that gardenia up a bit (folks, I guess don't like having to walk through it...LOL) off the steps - I looked down and my feet were covered with mite like looking things...ewwww gives me goosebumps now just remembering it. Guess when I finally head out I'll see if I've burned up my plants with that misting last night...sheesh

Cross-posted w/Sally - double EWWWWWW, Sally! I'd get rid of the plumeria real quick if I couldn't get those suckers under control AND they bite!!! Nope NO thank you

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 2:06 PM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9189375

ICK, 6" long!

how about these guys our troops have to deal with in the Middle East(pic from my nephew(Marine) currently serving in Afghanistan
Camel Spider

Thumbnail by flowAjen

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9189698

Special Request

Haven't heard from a number of folks that the major storm that blew through on Friday night may have impacted like ruby, aspenhill, greenthumb and pat, ssgardener, donnerville, Bec, hart, speedy and catbird to name a few...Hope they will check in soon and that they are all ok.

If any of you reading this have a way of checking in with any of the above or other DG neighbors, knowing that they may be out of power and cell phone service, please do so and convey our prayers and wishes for their well being.

You can report any weather and well being reports on our ongoing Chat thread (Your Neck of the Woods) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268408/

Thanks,

Judy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9189713

Oh Jen, major ewwwww

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9189717

LOL, guess it's really easy to find them in your bed when you're sleeping like this

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9189726

Wow,
My DH had army in Texas, he has some sort of stories about snakes and scorpions...He said he had enough camping in the Army and didn't want to do it when the kids were little.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9191473

Aspenhill has posted; so has ssgardener and Bec, and I think I remember a post from Pat.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9191916

Help! The early Tomato Blight seems to be taking over the two Parks Whoppers tomato plants.
Next to them is a Cherokee Purple--also showing some signs of this leaf damage.
Next to that is sally's Aunt----German Tomato. So far--holding its own.
I think I pulled off one leaf----so there may be more to come.

If you remember--I sprayed all these with Neem last week.

I have also sprayed my Brugs a couple of times--but the Spider Mites seem to still be hanging around...

What can I do??????????????? If anything...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9193310

Gita - I posted on one of the threads links to merchants that sold a mite eating mite...did you see those?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9193616

Chantelle-- I did see that...BUT---

My tomato plants are having blight issues--not mites. I had the mites on my Butterfly Bushes----
Both look horrible...This is the second year my Tomatoes are doing this--but just in this raised bed.
I planted one tomato in the small bed on the E. side of my shed (a Cherry Tomato) and that one seems OK.

Since the blight is a fungus (yes??)--I think I need to find something to treat the soil that will kill the fungus for next year.
I would do this after the gardening season is over...let it work over the winter...

Any suggestions?
I am sure the blight does not just start on the plants--it must come from the soil.
Terri's brother suggested (at the Seed Swap) that I try some hybrid tomatoes--not just heirlooms--
as, he said, they are more resistant to tomato maladies.
So--I planted 2 Parks Whoppers from Bonnie veggies at the HD----and they are the ones now
succumbing to all this blight. To me--it still goes back to the soil...OR--something I am doing wrong...

Maybe--also--it has not been a good idea that I use the sprinkler to water this bed...
The water gets all the leaves wet--an invitation for all this to spread...maybe just holding the hose to the
soil level would be better...

I think I should look at Carolyn's book and see what she has to say.
Otherwise--I give up! Maybe I should ust cut down the 2 worst tomatoes and deal with it that way???

The other 3 tomatoes are not so badly affected. I have pulled off one or two yellowing leaves.
These 3 tomatoes are__ Cherokee Purple--Sun Gold---and Sally's Aunt Thelma's German Tomato.

Hard to do anything much in this heat... It is 8AM--and the Temp is already 85*,
Need to go out and water though before the Temps get in the 3-digits...-it has been two days...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9193653

Not as blight expert- But- I recently read that early blight comes from fungus that gets splashed up from the soil. I have been free of blight so far (picked off just a few low leaves) and I have not sprinkled, only watered from buckets or laying the hose. soo...

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9193660

Maybe you can plant tomatoes in a different area of the garden or in large containers for a couple of years before planting tomatoes in this area again? Crop rotation, that is :-)

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9193671

I've heard the same thing as Sally -- don't get tomato leaves wet when you water.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9193687

Yikes and I've been watering and misting the whole dang plants (in pots though) thinking they'd appreciate the cooling down. Will it matter that mine are in pots v. in ground?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9193703

Shouldn't.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9193722

donner---

You have been here---I have NO different area to plant the tomatoes in.
Then again--I do not have to grow tomatoes at all...end up giving most of them away.
How much can one person eat? Don't even know why I do it???
I had my raise bed built (cost around $500) just so I could grow my tomatoes there!

Last year I blamed the crappy soil I had delivered to fill it. Can't do that any more--I have amended it well...

Chantelle---the leaves of plants never need watering--just the soil. Absolutely NOT on Roses!!!
Even though I did it inadvertently---by using the sprinkler--I should have known better.

I always fuss with people at work that water from above--b/c they don't know better...
All these new hires...

Just finished watering my whole garden--I am drenched!
It did not feel so bad--a little breeze was blowing--but I got drenched anyway.
No let-up in the heat to come...Bahh--Humbug!

Feel so bad for all the people still w/o power Going on 7 days. Can't even imagine that!
No lights--No AC--No TV--No hot water--and 100* temps inside and out...
I would lose all my food that now fills my 19cf freezer as well as the freezers of my 2 fridges.

Must practice gratefulness for what I have...Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9193932

Agree, Gita...I know I have to remind myself that on a regular basis. Found this page on blight - y'all may know all this already...was education for me though http://www.veggiegardener.com/tips-for-preventing-and-treating-tomato-blights/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9193945

Chamtell, you might be 'saved' if your potting mix is clean and uncontaminated.

Gita, its a wonderful addition to your yard anyway The raised bed and fence back.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9194005

double ditto on the tomato watering from the bottom...no sprinklers.

Here are a few tidbits:
Yes, early blight is in the soil, so if you had early blight last year in raised bed it is there this year. Crop rotation is recommended. It can also be in the seed and lay dormant until conditions are right (above 85 degrees and wet or humid.)

Preemptively remove any leaves that touch the ground. You can also remove all bottom leaves 12-18 inches up to limit splash up.

Remove all infected leaves taking care to minimize spore spread. Do not compost. If you do decide to remove your two most infected plants, put a plastic bag over them before removal to minimize spread of spores. (Spores form in those brown 'circles' on leaves and then drop.) Remove any leaf that shows or begins to show any sign of infection to minimize spore development. Spores can mature and disperse in as little as 30 minutes!

Don't spread the disease on hands, clothing or tools. Refrain from working your tomatoes when wet.

If you can, replace any mulch and/or the top layer of soil with minimal disturbance/further spore dispersal, this will help.

Final note, some of us remember that Bonnie Plants had to recall all of their tomato seedlings for sale at big box stores across 23 states because they were all infected with 'late blight' which pretty much rapidly kills tomatoes and caused millions in crop loss commercially as well as individual gardeners and spread the disease far beyond what nature could do on her own. Buy locally grown seedlings .
http://blog.syracuse.com/farms/2010/05/farmers_gardeners_watch_out_fo.html
And although this article addresses 'late blight' the quote below is a good reminder to all of us of our part in passing along the good and the bad in our plants and gardens:

"The best advice for tomato growers, whether they are gardeners or commercial farmers, is to be vigilant, watching for black patches on stems, leaves and fruit, and catch any sign of disease early, McGrath said. Growers who suspect blight should have it confirmed by a cooperative extension agent who will alert other growers.

“This is a community disease,” McGrath said. “If you’ve got it, you have to tell everybody. We have to know where it’s occurring to protect farms.” "

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9194178

UGH...I swear I've never heard of this stuff...course I don't normally 'do' veggies. Once home...I'm doing a major inspection on my one and only [gulp] Bonnie's...whatever the heck mini sweet tomato I thought I should get. Sheesh...rather go fight the white flies on my gardenias...mercy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9198254

An excellent page about Neem Oil
http://www.ottawaorchidsociety.com/orchid/neem_oil.htm

but he says it will go rancid, especially if not refrigerated. Darn.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9198261

LMBO - ummm mine's been sitting on my counter for ummmm 4 years now? Yikes...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9198329

Me too!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9198756

Saw this huge beetle (2"+) on my brick edging. EEEK!

Yes! I sprayed it and it died. Do not know it was "bad" or "good'...

Anyone know what it is/was? Gita

Will post it on the Bug Forum ID if no no knows...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9199005

Looks like just a plain ground beetle to me, but I'm no expert

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9199077

coleup

Re the tomato blight problem--my tomato leaves do not have any black spots.
Just the leaves yellowing and drying out. No--I do not believe it is just due to the weather...

I am picking off the worst leaves--and now have bare stems on the bottom--and soon, 1/2 way up.
I know leaves have a function to keep the fruits a bit shaded from direct sun.
My plants get sun along the tops--but no sun directly from the front of the bed.

I sprayed them all with (old) NEEM a while back--when we all had this discussion of spraying
in hyot weather going on.
I could spray again, now--but my Neem is just as old as some of you others have said.
Besides--mine is kept in the shed during the growing season. HOT! HOT!! HOT!

I will p/u a Bayer 3-in-1 bottle at HD. WOW! That costs almost $20!

OK! Will go out and take a picture for you.

1-- the Parks Whopper that is on the corner--this was taken a week ago
2--the same plant--now pretty charred/bare looking on the bottom half
3--Both plants (same variety)--the one on left seems OK--the one on the right not so.
The fruit keep growing, though. None are ripening yet...
4--My pickling Cukes growing wild. There are about 10 plants total. Have picked 6 already.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9199999

Gitagal wrote:Saw this huge beetle (2"+) on my brick edging. EEEK!.

lol Gita, I can't imagine you "EEEKing" about anything, let alone a beetle!

Found a good site on tomato problems from Iowa State. I've bookmarked it as it has good pictures and descriptions.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/pm1266.pdf

Gita, you state several times that your tomatoes have 'blight'. Do you mean actual Early Blight or do you mean the leaves on some of your tomato plants are not looking healthy and you are wondering why? And what to do about it?

Also, despite the price, you seem to like Bayer 3 in 1.Why? Do you feel it will help your tomatoes ? Is it rated for veggie/edible use? Does it contain imalcloprid sp? which harms honeybees?

How frustrating it is for all of us to not be able to swiftly restore our plants and gardens to abundant health. Your value to your friends and neighbors with whom you share your abundant spirit is not measured in ripe tomatoes each and every season...Let them eat pickles instead!!!!!

PS< Chantell, the Bonnie Plant tomato recall was two years ago and they have taken major steps to improve their prevention programs, as any responsible plant company would...just recommended to procure local seedlings where possible to minimize what ever can happen in transit, etc.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9200066

colup---Love your up front honest opinions and observations...
I will look at the link later--right now I will just comment (in bold) to your comments...

lol Gita, I can't imagine you "EEEKing" about anything, let alone a beetle!
***You are right--more like startled ..as in "WOW"! Never seen that before...

Gita, you state several times that your tomatoes have 'blight'. Do you mean actual Early Blight or do you mean the leaves on some of your tomato plants are not looking healthy and you are wondering why? And what to do about it?
***NO! I do not know if it is "blight"--it is just that that is everything everyone is talking about.
This same thing happened last year to my tomatoes. YES! The leaves on a couple tomatoes are not looking healthy--geez! they are dying off! First yellow--then blotchy--then drying up crisp. NO black spots--so, no blight? I have NOT mulched either.

Also, despite the price, you seem to like Bayer 3 in 1.Why? Do you feel it will help your tomatoes ? Is it rated for veggie/edible use? Does it contain imalcloprid sp? which harms honeybees?
***I know that Bayer makes a quality product. Why did I say I might get a bottle? Again--several people on DG here were mentioning this product as beeing good for "all that ails the garden"...See how impressionable I am!

How frustrating it is for all of us to not be able to swiftly restore our plants and gardens to abundant health. Your value to your friends and neighbors with whom you share your abundant spirit is not measured in ripe tomatoes each and every season...Let them eat pickles instead!!!!!
**I share my pickles too! Everyone loves them! I make them--but seldom eat them, unless I am having a certain dish
for a meal--like Beef Stroganoff. I like pickles with that. Same as I like milk with pizza. One does not just sit down and eat pickles!

I AM frustrated! There has to be a problem either with the soil or something that is in it.
"Rotating crops?" Maybe I will plant TWO tomatoes at the other end of my elevated bed.
That is as much "rotating" that i can do...
IF there are Fungus spores in the soil--is there any kind of "drench" I could pour over it
for the winter to work on things?
There are 3 more tomatoes that do not seem to be all that affected just to the left of the two big ones that are.
Keeping my fingers crossed...
Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9200074

coleup--

I quickly scanned through the link you provided. Seems very good.

Now I am inclined to think what I have is Fusarian Wilt...Will read all the descriptions later.
Gotta run!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9200103

Bayer does contain Imadacloprid (spelling?) and without reading the label I would not use it on edibles. Even after reading the label I doubt I personally would use something with multiple "-Cides" on an edible crop.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9201583

Briefly wanted to share another "tomato problem" trouble shooting link I've found helpful (before I lose it again!)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080615091541AAwza5A

Gita, I also wanted to pre order some of your pickles (for pay or trade??) at fall swap! I DO just eat pickles!

Judy

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9201707

coleup---As in-----You want me to bring you a big jar full?
OR--Do you just want me to bring my pickles for the pot-luck?

So noted.

My Pickling Cukes are going berserk! I must have a dozen stakes all around it to "give it direction"
as it is twining around itself--my cherry tomato--any post or support in sight--Ric's Bamboo stakes
laying horizontally on brackets on the roof--etc...

The bees are ALL over it! Yeah! More Cukes--IF the plants survive. So far--so good.
As I said earlier--this is about 10 plants of 2 kinds of pickling Cukes.

I have now picked off about 10. Here are a couple of pictures...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 11, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9202274

YUM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 14, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9204938

Never met a pickle I didn't like. Oh yeah, will take that back, but I do especially love pickles.

Hope that everyone is having an enjoyable, somewhat cooler weekend.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9204981

I am being chewed up by some invisible bugs every time I go to pick a cucumber.,...

I think the Cuke leaves are especially attractive to small bugs...All I have to do is spy a cuke--
and then reach into the mess of leaves--and my arms ans shoulders ans ankles itch for days...

Tiny little bite-bums--the size of a pinhead. All grouped in an area or looking like the critter
was just walking along my flesh sticking and sucking on me.

Not sure if they are Chiggers----those are usually in the grass--No?
In a few minutes--I an going to put on a long-sleeved shirt and tall socks and going out there to spray
the area down with yard Guard. I know I have a couple of ripe Cukes to pick.

Also my daughter and her hubby are coming over for crabs in about an hour. Need to spray down my back yard.

Hate this! They are everywhere! I cannot live all chewed up!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH,,
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9205335

All the leaves on my Sedum Autumn Joy plants are being eaten -- completely -- from the top down. Ideas? I don't think it is deer -- the hostas nearby are untouched -- plus, I have deer netting around the whole yard and it seems untouched.

Mobot says of Autumn Joy: "No serious insect or disease problems."

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 7:10 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9205355

Happy, an elderly couple on my newspaper route have lovely Autumn Joy sedums along their driveway that right now are eaten down to the main stems. The couple says this happens every year and the culprits are deer 'cause they watch them!

So far, this nibbling has not killed the plants and actually they come back in a few weeks a little tighter and less floppy. The couple says the deer like the forming flower heads and wait to nibble til they form. They said the deer get all the emerging leaves of hosta in the Spring and then tend to leave any hosta that regenerates alone. They are 'too old' to do it now, but they used to trim off those denuded autumn joy stalks just to imporve appearances. They think there is less nibbling when summer is wetter rather than droughty.
And, they note that some deer do not like it and move on while others seem drawn to it and nibble for awhile.

That's my report from the field. Judy

PS Isn't all sedum edible?

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 7:50 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9205415

If that is the case, I need to check our deer netting because Bambi is getting through! Thanks for the heads-up.

It's a good thing you explained this. Autumn Joy is listed on many sites as deer resistant. I still can't figure out what is going on with my deer netting -- it goes up at least 7 feet.

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 9:04 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9205533

Gita - have you seen the 'bracelets' that you can wear to ward off the buggies?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9205710

Is it possible that birds are eating the Autumn Joy?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 15, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9205809

After reading here and experiencing what we have experienced with our own plants, I am seeing and hearing about odd things that haven't happened to anyone in the past. This very strange summer has all the creatures of the world acting in ways they never acted before. I am really so ashamed of how things look in our gardens right now. A combination of no time to tend the gardens and the super hot temperatures has really done a number here for sure.

I haven't paid close attention to any of my Sedum Autumn Joy except for a small bunch that is potted in a pot where I often water. It too has taken a beating from something this year and I don't suspect deer, but haven't the foggiest what might be destroying this particular plant. After readin about Happy's issues, later today I willl make a point to check out the Autumn Joys and see what kind of condition they are in.

Anyway...here is hoping that everyone will have a very enjoyable Sunday.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9205841

I wouldn't put it past the deer to wlak right up your driveway (brazenly!) and go for it. My mom's yard was pretty well enclosed but they came up the driveway, this is between cape cod style houses on 1/4 acres lots.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 15, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9205860

I know Sally, we have a neighbor who is a great photographer who often sends pictures of some of the animal life he captures any time at his place which a bit further back in the mountains than we are. In years past I have looked out the back door to see deer inside of our fence, leisurely grazing on a bed of Day Lilies, which John calls candy for them. The goats too will stretch their necks as far as they can to taste the candy taste of Day Lilies too. Got to love it though.

I too know of folks in developments with loads of houses and human activities going on who have problems with the deer eating their lovelies. One of the most heard comments that John hears at the Farmers Market is folks inquiring about deer resistent plants.

Our big thing at the moment is serving as host to hundreds of tree frog tadpoles who are just growing their legs. Some weeks back I bought a kiddie pool for the grand children. Even after reading on line to not bother with swimming pools without filters, I purchased one anyway. It didn't take a frog or two any time at all of finding stagnant water in the pool and do their thing. Amazinigly enough Emily hasn't begged to swim for a couple of weeks now but is highly interested in the tadpoles that are growing in the pool. She took home a jar of her own one day last week.

John told me last night that he plans to scoop up all that he can in a bucket and take them and let them loose in a nearby recreational lake. He needs for the pool to be moved in order to do the next step of roofing and we both, and especially Emily I am sure don't like the idea of just allowing them to die. Hopefully the majority of them will survive. Being at the lake we won't have to hear their loud voices whenever we are outside in the evenings.

So, that is some of the most excitement going on in the parts the last little bit. I suppose the wildest and most unbelievable story I have to tell about living at the edge of a mountain is the morning some years back when first moving here that I looked out the front of the house and saw this creature ambling across the front yard. It was an albino skunk. This was a huge cat too. He was solid white with a black stripe going down his back. John has never believed this story, but I swear it to be true. I haven't seen him since then, only that one time, but I suppose he is around here somewhere even though some would say no to it.

On a side note Sally...the Lysimachia Firecracker is in full bloom right now. I weeded around its base on Friday evening. I love it and thank you very much for sharing it with me.

Take good care all.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9206236

Usually during drought we have a deer or two come to drink from the pool or birdbath, usually without stopping for anymore than a possible nibble. Ric

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9206850

Happy, I SAW two birds eat my Sedum 'Neon' which is almost identical to the Autumn Joy except that the flower color is a fuschia pink. Absolutely amazing!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9206856

Sally--
may be a good water source for them...succulents have a lot of moisture in them.
KInd of a desperate move--but survival is more desperate...

Do you have a bird bath or two filled for the birds?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9206858

Spider mites must spread very fast. I didn't notice them last weekend and yesterday I had to spray them. The brugs had LOADS of them on the back of just about every leaf :-(. Thanks for Gita's closeup photos. Otherwise I wouldn't have know what was going on with the plants.

Saw a stink bug yesterday, the only one I have seen this year.

There have been about 5 - 6 JBs on the roses so far.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9206877

donner--
my brugs are also totally spider-mite covered. Need to spray--What did you use to spray?
I can go look at my collection of chemicals...

I spread Systemic Granules on top of all mu Brug pots---seems they did not help a lot.
The plant's leaves look sad--may be too late...
With this heat--I hate to go outside...besides, every time i go near any plants--I get chewed up
by some invisible, small critters. My arms, my shoulders and my ankles.

Especially if I go to look for ripe cucumbers--MAN! They must jump on me in a split second!
Then I itch for a week. Whatever is biting me--leaves teeny-tiny welts the size of a pinhead.

Gotta go water today--we never got any rain. Gonna wear knee-high socks and long sleeves...
G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9207048

Gita -- that's interesting -- are you suggesting the birds are eating the Sedum in search of moisture? I put out a bird bath in the winter (a plug-in one), but birds rarely used it. We don't have it out now.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9207050

Well--I NEEMED all the Brugs and Roses again...

Took a couple pictures of my Brug leaves chewed up by Spider Mites...

last 2 pictures of my beautiful Epi--blooming away at this time...

Hard to take photos when there is bright sun. There are too many shadows ans the sun light really
bleaches out the color.
Been trying to get a good one of my KK Hibiscus--but the blooms look all pale from sun on them.

And--in the evening--they are all gone. I need an overcast morning...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9207053

happy--

I have NO basis for suggesting the birds may be seeking moisture.
It just came to my mind that it COULD be a possible reason.

Not a biologist here...What do you others thing on this?
G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9207070

I haven't seen the birds eating them, but that is my best guess. The leaves that are being eaten are at the top of the plants, which probaly rules out chipmunks or our dogs or raccoons. It could be deer, but with the deer netting I really don't see how they are getting into our yard unnoticed.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9207084

Happy, I put out a bird bath two years ago and only saw one robin using it. Then I thought it was probably birds couldn't land on it easily. I put some rocks in the bird bath last year and small birds started to come.

Gita, I didn't have neem oil and just used olive oil mixed in with water and some very old Ortho pesticide that a friend of mine gave me when she moved away years ago. I am not even sure if it still works. Anyway, the oil will do the job. Just googled ispider mites - they go from egg to adult in 5 days. The plants need to be treated repeatedly.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2012 10:51 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 16, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9207130

One of these days I would like to get an education of the usage of Neem Oil. I have heard it mentioned for years, but it has not been something we have tried and I am wondering if we shouldn't have some here. Any comments?

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9207139

Neem is all natural way of treating plants for a variety of insects, usually works better with the soft bodied ones.

Some info on it
"Formulations made of neem oil also find wide usage as a biopesticide for organic farming, as it repels a wide variety of pests including the mealy bug, beet armyworm, aphids, the cabbage worm, thrips, whiteflies, mites, fungus gnats, beetles, moth larvae, mushroom flies, leafminers, caterpillars, locust, nematodes and the Japanese beetle. Neem oil is not known to be harmful to mammals, birds, earthworms or some beneficial insects such as butterflies, honeybees and ladybugs if it is not concentrated directly into their area of habitat or on their food source. It can be used as a household pesticide for ant, bedbug, cockroach, housefly, sand fly, snail, termite and mosquitoes both as repellent and larvicide (Puri 1999). Neem oil also controls black spot, powdery mildew, anthracnose and rust (fungus)."

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 16, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9207174

Thank you so very much Jen. Hey, I am convinced now that we need some of it here. I have an infestation of ants each years in my kitchen and bathrooms. Something nasty, bug wise has destroyed several plants here this year. The damage looks much like what Japanese Beetle would do but we have only seen evidence of one beetle the whole season. Too late for treating at the moment I suppose, but I will for sure purchase Neem Oil my next trip out.

Thanks again hon.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9207183

No problem...I have grasshoppers here now that are eating my plants grrrrr
The JB damage is easy to spot, the leaves are all lace like

I had ants coming in too, I had my bug guy handle that...to keep them out I usually use Borax in the cracks and crevices around the baseboards and it was working, don't know what happened
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9207338

We have huge ant problems every year and nothing organic seems to work.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9207477

Well--
Not sure if this is considered "organic'--but i do know it is safe as soon as it dries.
"Home Defense" is a very good insecticide. You can use it indoors or out.

Spray it around your windows, door sills, cracks, any point of entry--and they
will not cross it for (I think) 3 months. VERY common product sold at HD--and elsewhere.

I love it! G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9207535

TERRO ant baits are very good. Look for an orange box that contains bait in clear plastic trays. I put baits on the counter, AND look carefully outside for the trail on the foundation, and spray that area. Baits alone seemed to eliminate the ones going to the cat food.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9207709

TERRO doesn't do it for me. I must have super-ants.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9207800

Dang it! I don't blame you for going chemical .
I have huge black ants aroun the base of a maple tree. I'm wondering if there's really a bunch of carpenter ants in the tree itself
{8 ^0

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9208109

Lost an apple tree where we used to live cause of the ants :(
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9208169

Ants killed a tree?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9208238

yes carpenter ants

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9208380

This maple def has 'issues'. Mark took off one of the three large 'trunks' (typical narrowly crotched branching) that angled towards the house a bit. But if we lose it-- great excuse to rearrange some gardens, more sun near the house.

We had huge invasion of the tiny ants last night- go for the cat food and I had taken the bait tray away. had to spray.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9208678

Wrote a huge post last night but it got lost. Wnat to do some cathch up here to some of your posts.

Gita, I get a red itchy "rash" from the tiny spines on cucumber and squash plants,,,feels like pin pricks and even goes thru clothing..pricks, red, itching, raised bumps. Like bee stings, I have to get the spines out to get rid of the itch. If I don't, the red itch will return anytime it moves in my skin. I vigorously scrub with one of those kitchen scrubby pads to dislodge. Chigger bites don't generally appear right away, but somewhat after the fact...like when I'm trying to go to sleep after a day of fun outdoors, so if you are getting bitten immediately upon approach to cucumber plants, I'd think it wasn't chiggers. Could be thrips though as they do bite humans and 'swarm' or are blown by the wind. They are reminisent of no see um or sand flea bites. You can find all kinds of photos on line to compare your 'bite with for ID. On a good note, I have read that a compress of shredded cucumber will possibly relieve itching!

Happy, Birds eat the seeds of sedums in late fall and winter and I did read one eyewitness account of several house finches eating leaves in summer.

donnerville, I like sedum 'neon' better than autumn joy. I have a cup of soapy water with a lid that I knock bugs into. Thought it would be fill of stink bugs but insted I have knocked many a pair of mating Japanese beetles into it from my Virginia creeper vine covering the top of a 20 foot fence. I took the lid off this am to drown some more and the smell was just terrible!

Ruby, I love your tadpole water feature and wish I had one! Just think how many bugs those little guys will grow up to consume! Grow your own natural pest control. I'm very gratefull for the at least ten preying mantices patroling my yard.

Sallyg, did you know that carpenter ants have a main nest and a number of satalite nests> They gain access to homes many times from above rather than below as they drop onto roofs and find a point of entry there, especially if there is a leak or water problem. They are hard to get rid of unless all nests are inactivated. You seem almost gleefull about your tree with "issues" lol Sure would be a different yard without it there.

WHY do ants like vehicles to live in????

WHY are ants and for that matter many other bugs so attracted to pet food? It's like cat food is more appealing to pests than pets! Must be the proteinn eating ones though, not what we used to call sugar ants. Sorry you had to spray. Be sure to clean up any dead ants well as others will come back to rescue the carcasses of their dead, and spraying doesn't necessarily destroy their scent trail highways.

First rule of home pest control is Deny Access

Wonder how much heat waves effect bugs? I imagine that at some point bees can't fan their wings fast enough to cool the queen and eggs...

Judy

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 11:22 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9209285

I finally remembered (DUH!) that I have a jug of AMDRO ant granules. I will treat the areas adjacent to the house, where I see the tiny ones coming up. I am happy to foster plenty of ants on the REST of the half acre, goldangit.

I hear that ants kill / prey upon termites.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9209329

Before I start this long-Post-to-be---please know that you are all my ONLY "family" and I want to share
all that is going on in my garden. Glad to do this on the "appropriate" Thread...
I will tell the tale--post the pictures--and hope you understand my frustration with Spider Mites this summer.

This morning--after breakfast--around 10:30AM--I decided to go out and just walk my garden and see what's what...
Maybe pull a few weeds--check on the watering status, etc...NO other big plans.

The East side of my Patio has a, sort of, "Privacy planting" of two OLD, large Burning Bushes which I started in the
70's sometime. (See Picture #1). I LIKE them! Keeps anyone East of my house seeing what is going on.
Nothing nowadays--But--plenty in years past...Party Central!

Now all the B.B.'s sold are a dwarf size. Got mine in the early 70's from a local Nursery. These grow tall.
Every other year--I have to cut them back to maybe 5'. They re-grow annually--and provide me shade and privacy
from the East side of my property.
There are also at least two birds that fight/claim yearly nesting rights in these two old shrubs. Catbirds--I believe...
Their screeching and yelling and protective behavior gives them away.

Anyway---This morning I walked outside and, to my dismay, The S.M.'s had seriously hit my old shrubs.
This happens, to a lesser degree, every year--but this was totally destructive. Disastrous!!!
On the patio side of these shrubs--the leaves were dropping like flies...The ground was littered below them--
as was the patio floor. See Picture #2.

Here is a picture of the affected leaves--Pic. #3 Sad looking!!
Here is a picture of healthy leaves from the same shrub. Pic. #4.

Now--FYI--I have always had a "table" made of 8'x2' plywood, sitting on cinder blocks, that I use as a table to
keep many plants on. Tried to find a picture--but could not...On this "table" I keep my Clivias and many other
no-attention-needed-plants. My Pregnant Onions--this and that rooting--as they would get total shade until they do.

Looking at he Horrors i saw--I started out on a "master plan" in my head. AHEM...

Disassembled the WHOLE plywood "table" set-up. Lots of work--but it will give me a clearer idea.
In so doing--I saw the termite damage between the 2 layers of plywood that made up the "table"
...All the tunnels---GEEZ!!! HOW dare they!!!! Now--I have to get out the "Home Defense Spray--- GONE!!!
OK! Done! Did NOT plan on all this...

NOW!!!! I MUST rake up all the fallen leaves from under the shrubs. Clean is good! Right?
BUT--cannot get to all the dropped leaves stuck at the bases of the shrubs.
AHA!!!! Get out my Shredder/Blower and blow them out from all the bottoms of the shrubs.
So far--SO good----Now all the leaves are. again, all over my patio floor...

Broom in hand--sweep--sweep---rake--rake---gather with my dust pan and put it in the two trash bags
to be picked up tonight as trash. WILL NOT save this crap for recycling!!!
All is cleaned up and sprayed now...Also mulched. See Pic. #5

Now--to decide on re-assembling the tables--or re-ddoing the way I use my two tables
in the space I have...Think...Think...have a cold beer---Think some more...
Think...Think...Seems like too huge an effort. "Fiddle-De-Dee-- I will worry about it tomorrow!!!"
Borrowed from "Gone With the Wind". I will worry about it tomorrow! I only work ONE day a week nowadays.
Lots of time for gardening chores...and all kinds of other "things to do"...

Assemble back the way all the tables were. Could not, realistically, think of a different way to do this.
Put all mu plants back on the "table" as they were.
Clean up-and I am done for the day. It is now 3:45PM. I am exhausted. Drenched...

Turn the hose on--wash my face and my hair. Go inside and chill...
So much for a casual walk in my garden this morning...

A Day in y life of my Gardening...Gita

edited to say that picture #3 should be Picture #5. Sorry!!!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2012 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9209451

Oh, my! THat was exhausting to read. Just s thrilling as speediebeans story a week or two ago...
I enjoyed reading it, I could feel your pain...my sympathies as I have had similar endless
'' little strolls in the garden"...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9209643

oh my goodness, never seen damage like that and then to have termites to deal with, UGH
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9209795

Gita: What a tale! Isn't it the truth that we spend so much more time fixing problems (weeding, pests) than actually planting!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9209989

Gita, sorry to heard about the shrubs. My SM infested brugs that I sprayed last weekend have all been fried in the heat and the leaves are no more. I knew it might happen when I sprayed them, but I was desperate :-(

Have a cold drink. It is another hot day.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9210028

Sally--

My pink, NOID Brug looks pitiful! Most of the leaves are gone. I am hoping they would re-grow
if the weather cools off. Just wishful thinking...

Dr. Seuss's leaves ALL have S.M. damage--but, overall, the plant is hanging on.
I too sprayed all the Brugs again--since I had all this NEEM mixed up. Yes! desperation...

(#2)--took a picture of the "table" on the patio side of the two Burning Bushes.
So you can see what i am talking about...

Jen---Termites are part of nature--anywhere there is old wood. ..Mulch...rotting RR ties, etc...
As long as they are away from the house--I am not going to freak out. I DO grab my Ant spray
and get them all, though.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 18, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9210083

It didn't take me long to realize that whenever I add something to my "to do" list, in reality it usually means there are three or four other things that need to be done before the original to do can be addressed. I do feel as though I am in good company though when you all share your less than spectacular gardening stories. Makes me feel a whole lot better when other admit to damage.

While watering last evening I saw a spider plant that had been chewed to bits. Not totally destroyed, but many of the leaves needed to be removed. Not exactly sure what might be doing this. Thankfully, for now it is just the one plant. I suppose it might make sense to move it away from any other plants for a while. Don't want to risk others getting whatever this one has.

Yeah Jean, your japanese beetle description is right on target. They have destroyed the one Hibiscus but haven't touched the other that is only a few feet away. Strange these critters.

Anyway, hope things will begin going better for those who are experiencing destruction of the gardens, no matter the reason.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9210219

Today found that my Kong Coleus have been hit big time. Looks like beetles damage but no culprits in sight, no frass, nothing for a clue. . It may have been two weeks ago, there are new leaves coming out not damaged.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9210495

Sally---

I bought Kong Coleus once--several years ago...They look SOOO good at the sales point!

Well--when they start growing bigger--they loose all that compactness and become all lanky--ugly.
After that one year--i decided that i will never buy another one...

Hate to see all the customers at HD grab them up--but my lips are sealed--by Elmers Glue...:oI

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9211011

Sally, I saw a green inchworm on my red amaranth. It was easy to spot it because of the color contrast. The entire plant had been turned into lace (will have to go find the pic when I get home tomorrow). I found only one inchworm though. Not sure if one worm would be able to eat that much :-(.

Anyway, look closely to see if you can find a few on your Kong Coleus.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9211024

thanks donner, will do.
Red amaranth in my yard is always hit by Pigweed flea beetles. Go in the morning and look carefully for a tiny striped beetle. They hop away readily. And look for tiny pale green worms under the leaves. You will not see many of either but they apparently decimate the leaves and make that lace (too). My amaranth usually looks horrible, I should probably rip it all out and deny them the food for a year or three.

Tobacco budworms are bad on multiple plants too, I found one the other day- can't remember what plant. They like petunia buds and Nicotiana...

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9211059

Sally, I just googled pigweed flea beetles. OMG!!! I saw three of them on a red amaranth last weekend and was wondering what they were!!! Must go look closely this weekend. My red amaranth are all doing beautifully, or should I say they WERE doing beautifully as of last weekend ;o). I will know what has happened to them this week when I get home tomorrow. I pulled out the one with the inchworm.

I saw a TV program recently called "Growing a Greener World". A guest interviewed on the program talked about how to identify good bugs and bad bugs. Bad bugs tend to cluster in large numbers, such as aphids and spidermites. Good bugs are predators who generally go hunting on their own. Of course, that may not apply to every bug. JBs do not cluster, do they?

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 12:49 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9211108

I agree with his general statement that bad bugs are in numbers and good bugs are solitary. Not every single case but kinda, mostly. At least, when you see big clusters I think your should strongly suspect 'bad' (I meant to say that in my handpicking article and I think I forgot (pout))
I have wasps that (singly) patrol my asparagus looking for the grubs. Its way cool- they hover around obviously hunting, scanning the fronds...

sometimes I hear them whistling a happy little hunting ditty (doot~~ tee ~ doo doo~doo~)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9211884

I sprayed a few plants today with a systemic. Pretty much just house plants that are having a summer vacation outside and I am still treating them for mealy bug and spidermites. You should see the damage done to my hardy hib. It has beautiful blooms and a ton of them but the leaves are shredded from something probably JB's.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9211959

Oh yeah that is JB damage

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9212052

DS made me go out and grab some greens from the garden for his midnight omelet. I found a caterpillar under one...looked like a hefty corn earworm. ??

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9212267

Holly--Sorry about your Hib. I cannot say that I have seen any JB's here. We do not usually get many.
But the S.M.'s have done me in this summer. So have whatever crud hit all my Tomatoes.
3/4 of the way up--there are NO leaves left. I give up!

Started with my Butterfly Bushes---
You saw my Saga with the Burning Bushes. They WILL survive, though. What a mess!!!!

My Brugs are pathetic. I have sprayed them twice--so I do not know if there is any new damage--
but most of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. The heat can also cause this to some extent.

I have to dress like a swat team--just to go pick some Cucumbers...Long pants--arms covered, etc...
But--they are cranking out cucumbers...The plants are now climbing the roof of my shed...

#1--Dr, Seuss #2--Cuke plants----#3--Tomato plant (last week--it is much worse now).

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 21, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9213221

Holly, your Hibiscus leaf looks exactly like the ones on my Red Hibiscus. Interesting the less than five feet away, the Pink Hibiscus shows no damage. A lot of our plants have been hard hit this summer. Yesterday was my first time finding some infestation in one of my houseplants. A nicely growing Spider Plant showed evidence of something munching on it earlier this week. Upon inspection yesterday I found little black dots on some of the leaves. I trimmed the leaves back and am now wondering what I might do next. I have never treated for any types of bugs and this is discouraging. Will Neem do the trick? I think a trip to the Hardware store today is on the agenda. Thanks for any ideas.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9213238

Neen Oil is hard to use in the summer outside. If you treat it you need to keep it shaded and someone said that you shouldn't use it at all during times of high temps.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 21, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9213239

Thanks Holly. Any other suggestions on something I may use to deter whatever this black dot is? Thanks.

Ruby
mhkilleen
Clementon, NJ

July 24, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9217373

Thanks everyone for their in put. I have discobered I must have japanese beetles...they have turned my hardy hibiscus' normally wide generous leaves into lacey leaves.

Here is my question:
I also usually have volumnes of coneflowers, and now I have cones but no petals...do you think the culprit is the dreaded "JB"? My hibiscus is easily 50 yards from the cone flowers with a house in between.

By the way this was the first May I did not spread that organic grumb killer nemotobes (which I cant remember the spelling sorry).

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9217551

I have not seen any jbs on my coneflowers and have not seen them eat actual petals only the leaves, I do have a ton of grasshoppers here eating leaves of EVERYTHING. but have no idea what would eat the petals???? birds?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #9217677

The distance between the hibiscus and coneflowers doesn't tell you anything about whether they have the same bug.

I grow Clara Curtis chrysanthemums, or try to, they never have petals.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9217832

I have a small patch of tall, orange/red Zinnias in my small front bed.
All I see are the red center cones--NO petals...been wondering about that as well.

Yesterday-I noticed ants running up and down my Parsley pot--then down the sides of the soil in it.
Been wondering why the leaves look stressed...not fresh green and perky...
Picked up the pot--and there were ants everywhere.
Same with my pot of Cilantro and D-Lilies (the one from seed from Nancy).
They all sit on a small, round table--a bit crowded...

Can't use the Systemic Granules on the edibles, but did treat all the other pots.
Also--all my Brugs and my Gardenia (from JB) and my Brazilian Plume (it is OK so far..but...).

Went and got my Boric Acid and sprinkled that all under the Parsley pots.
Will check today if it made any dent in the ants all over. Figured, this would not get absorbed--being
outside the pot on the table. Your thoughts, please????

In years past--I have also had to deal with huge colonies of pussy ants inside the bottoms of my HB's.
They just come down the hangers and set up housekeeping. Especially if I hang any from my tree.
Will treat them all, as usual, before bringing them in.

Will have to uproot the 10" pot of my Parsley, shake off all the soil, spray all the ants dead--
hose off the roots and re-pot it in fresh soil. Not sure it will re-root,,,but it has to be done...
I like having fresh Parsley.
G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 25, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9217899

It is really interesting to hear about the amount of different critters who seem to be doing a lot of damage to all our places this year. Could this too be associated some how with not having a very cold winter? Hmmm...Gita, I have never heard of a pussy ant, but have heard the term piss ant, as that was a close to a curse word as I ever heard my mother utter when growing up. hahaha

I suppose when looking at the big picture, I am very grateful that this conversation is not about the dreaded stink bug. Thankfully, even though I spot a dead one from time to time, they are no longer wreaking havoc here at my place the way they did for a couple of summers. Unless...some of the plant destruction some of are seeing turns out to be related to the life cycle of the stink bugs. Who knows? They may have a tendency to go in to hiding at a certain time in their lives and begin to do the damage that so many of us are seeing, and so many of us not being able to report that we are seeing any evidence much of other destruction beetles. Hmmmmm...food for thought, for sure.

I am sure that one of our researchers in the group may be able to uncover if this thought is a possibility or not. Anyway.,,,this seems to be a particulary bad years in terms of so many us having plant destruction like we have never experienced before. Here is hoping that whatever the cause, it soon cease and soon stop seeing plant destruction of our lovelies.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9217931

New one, milkweed bug
they suck the juices from the seed head...if that's all they do I'm fine with that, I don't need anymore milkweed spreading but there is varied info and no one is really sure how much damage they do

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9218032

Took a picture to show you all of my no-petals Zinnias. Must be some bug at night.
I have never seen anything on it in the daytime.

Also--looks like the Boric Acid powder did not do diddly! They are still scurrying around.
Sprayed the outside and bottoms of the pots with Home Defense. Dead! Now--the ones inside are trapped.
They do not cross a Home defense spray for quite a while. We will see...we will see...

Here are the Zinnias...Maybe I should put a piece of stocking around a bud and see how that helps...
or a clear plastic cup cut open and wrapped around the bud???

Thumbnail by Gitagal

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9218075

that is so weird I never saw that before
Just read that earwigs(if you have a lot of them) eat petals , also June bugs and if you have finches, because they hold onto the petals while pulling out the seeds

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9218214

Jen--I don't think they harm the milkweed plants at all. I have had many milkweed bugs, and still plenty of milkweed.

Gita- I'm thinking you can submerge the whole parsley pot in a large bucket of water and flood them out. An overnight soak won't hurt the parsley plants, do you think?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9218292

ants can survive in water I think it's a couple hours

I'll take a pic of what the seed pods look like now, they are all browning up

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9218840

Sally--Good idea! Could I add somwthing to the bucket of water that will kill the ants--but not harm the parsley"?
Or me????
Wondering just WHAT kind of a table or shelf attracts ants--and what does not???/
The "table" they are on now is like the HUGE spools that electric cables come on.
The spool rotted out--but I spent about an hour removing all the center stays--so all I wanted was
the top round surface. Panted with outdoor paint.
I placed this on an OLD...OLD...small round metal table (that my Mom had on her back porch)
and put all the plant pots on top of it.
Could it be that the ants were already in the old wood surface of the table?????

I still lean to the drastic cleansing and re-potting Sally suggested.
Who says they won't just come back for a new nesting site???? In fresh new, rich soil?

I am at a loss as to WHERE to put my pots that ants will not colonize??????
They are in my kitchen...in my Pantry...under my big cutting board...etc...NOT making war with them!

ALL bugs and insects are in an exaggerated amount this summer...Blame it on the warm winter.

Gita

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9218858

Ants are a nightmare for us. I feel your pain!

Be careful with boric acid. I put some on Christmas Cactus once that promptly died.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9219059

Jen, are you trying to collect seeds from the milkweed? I always cut off the seedheads as soon as blooming is over so that I can get a 2nd bloom later.

I have seen cones without petals on coneflowers, but never paid much attention to them. I assumed that they were just a few odd ones :-). Never thought something (bugs, birds?) might have eaten the petals. They were rare though, only a few here and there. Not sure what the cause is if yours are all like that :-(

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9219387

Put a little soap in the water, it'll help drown the ants. I mean few drops of liquid soap. That won';t hurt the plant and you can rinse it off later.

Ants are incredibly annoying and colonize anywhere it seems. I have a colony in between the stand and bowl of my heavy concrete birdbath. Three feet off the ground, a 12 inch circle between concrete slabs.

Gita try Terro ant baits in the kitchen. ACE sells them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9223781

Sally--I bought a pack of the liquid Terro Ant baits. WOW! $8!!!
Trying to set the first one up along the wall, behind the baker's rack by my kitchen door,
the bait flipped sideways and some/most? of the liquid spilled out on the floor. There goes $ 1.50!

Anyway--I found out the source of all the ants outside, and in my pots, on my little table.
I had one of those BIG spools that heavy electric cord comes on. I use these as small tables outside.

The last on I had was getting completely rotted out--but the top was still good and painted.
SO! I proceeded to remove the boards that make up the stays of these "spools". Long, heavy
work!
I have had this small, round metal table I have been using. The top is all rusted out full of holes.
So--I set the top of the spool on top of this metal table and put all my pots on top.

There was a gouged out, round area underneath this top--with kind of rotting wood.
You guessed it! The ants all made a colony in there.

When I decided to remove the wood top--Mamma Mia! There were ants and larva all over underneath.
No wonder they were crawling up and going in my pots!
With a can of Roach and Ant Spray in hand--I quickly dispelled them all.
Now my pots sit ONLY on the rusty metal table. This little table used to sit on my Mom's back porch.
I have NO idea how old it is...
U usually use it to put my small "Smoky Joe" grill on it if and when I grill something. Safe!

Here is thew bottom of the wood-spool I had on top. The ants' "condo" was inside this bottom layer.
Where all the open area is. You can also see a small part of the metal table on the right.

#1--the removed top
#2--the table as it was before I took it apart. (from May).

For now--no more ants. Still have to check the big Parsley pot...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9224027

Sorry that Terro is so pricey but I assure you it works well. I bet you will see ants eating up all the spilled bait and going into the clear tray. Sometimes they stay in the clear tray and die.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9224038

Sally--I was wondering if the ants that eat the Terro liquid die in the bait fixture--
or do they drink/eat it and then go die in their colonies?????

So far--i have only noticed this one area in my kitchen that has ants goinr up and down the wall.
Can't really see a "trail". Seems random.
BUT--I am sure they must come in from the non-existent, rotted out door sill at the base
of my unused kitchen side door.
It IS a damp area there...as the rain just sheathes down the siding and hits the base of the door.

Maybe I should set one of these Terro traps outside under the door sill?

Time to go watch the Olympics...MAN!!! The women's Volleyball was beyond impressive today!!!
My old love--the sport of Volleyball.

Here is a picture of my team from 1963--the year i got married.
Can you ID me?????

edited to add that "Whitey"--the coach we had back then (pictured) is still playing Volleyball at the Sr. center
where I started playing a couple of years ago. I stopped a couple of years ago. Various reasons...
"Whitey" is now 93--I think...Longevity rules in a sports minded body and soul.
Gita

This message was edited Jul 30, 2012 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9224046

Some seem to die in the bait tray. Other times I have seen them in it, but later found the tray empty. So guess , both ways.
I would yes put one anywhere near where you think they live.

um- 14? I am usually terrible at this. Cute picture though!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9224188

Nope!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9224201

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9224660

You are correct, Jen.

Lets see----I am all of 26 there...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9225951

Here's what the seed heads look like now on the milkweed

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9226105

Gee Jen, pretty bad! If you plan on saving seeds then thats not looking good.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9239328

I was out admiring the scent on my scented tobacco- and realized many of the very large sticky leaves going up the stem were totally eaten down to the midrib. sheesh. Today I found a crop of young tobacco budworms up in the flowers; don;t know if they (their older siblings) could have done the other damage.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9240607

I wonder what my gardens will look like by Sept when we have the tour. Some of the plants are pretty eaten up and looking rough not to mention the black spots and wilt on some of them. Found a little pile of some type of bug under the Truly Tiny Banana. Ric got a picture of them will post it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9244674

Saw these guys on my potted Parsley plant. What are they?

No wonder my Parsley plant has been looking so-so. many of the stems were completely
loose from the soil ansI could just pull them up.

I sent all 3 of them on their way to La--La Land----SQUISH!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9244688

Those are the cats of black swallowtail butterflies. Yes they are voracious. My best defense is to entertain them with big fennel plants.
But this year I decided to remove my woody overgrown fennel, and let it self seed elsewhere and fresh. Then my parsley all got eaten by voles underneath.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/13/

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9244729

OH NO!!!!! You killed them!!!!!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9244756

Goodness Sally, you certainly have a serious vole problem!

I let my parsley go nuts because I wanted some swallowtail caterpillars, but no one wants to eat my parsley. :(

I'm seeing a ton of butterflies this year (especially around my Joe Pye Weed -- yipee!), but no caterpillars anywhere.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9244887

I never seem to see caterpillars in proportion to butterflies- ?? Some are hosted on trees etc as you may know, the cats are often not on the nectar plants. It's only been in the last couple weeks I found my first monarch cat- always late summer with them.
Watch out- today I found about 10 or so young stink bugs, in a variety of places in the garden! Tomato, asparagus, squash... I've hardly seen any al summer.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9244927

Oh, I haven't seen even one stink bug this year. What is your preferred method for stinkbug elimination?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9244930

These guys got Drowned in Bucket of Death (soapy water) don't know how many is practical to deal with that way. I have a couple soapy buckets in that garden at all times - squash bug mymphs have been trying to get ahead of me.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9245589

ssgardener, there is a whole thread or two on this forum on stink bugs
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157265/

Don't think it was stink bugs that cleaned off my cute little 'sunset' oxalis over night but there might be some fat slugs sleeping it off today!

Sorry to hear those swallowtail cats got squished...seems this has been a hard season for butterflies as I have seen so few.

The locust sure are singing loud and long each day and night.

Thumbnail by coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9245689

Poor sad Oxalis!

Three nights last week- a cicada has ended up by my porch light. In the morning when someone goes out, it buzzes and falls --on you!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9245754

Hey, Guys-----
You are making me feel like a murderer! To me they were just caterpillars eating my Parsley.
I need to learn more about caterpillars...

Every year--I have Swallowtails and the yellow ones (?) flying around under my patio roof.
I have quite a collection of dead ones (NO! I did NOT kill them!!!)...they just died...

They seem to flutter until death under my Patio sky lights. Maybe they just don't understand that they cannot
fly away through these. Maybe also--they are done with all the egg-laying and this is their last stop.

From this--they fall to the ground on my Patio floor. If I can beat the ants to it (they quickly consume the body)
I pick them up and put them on a paper plate to dry out...
You all would be impressed with the asst bugs and moths and butterflies that I have in this HUGE Brandy Sniffer.
There are Beetles and Cicadas and weird bugs in there...My best Moths I have in a box on a layer of tissues.

I have also found several dead Doves over the years that, probably, broke their necks trying to fly free and hit my sky lights.
If you have never picked up a dove--they have some weigh to them--I tell you...
Andrew Zimmern would have a good meal...

Sorry to sound "morbid'...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9246017

Back in my grad school days in NYC I lived in a 5 story walkup with two roommates, Tom and Marcia. One evening we decided to expose the brick wall in our little kitchen by removing the hideous fake brick contact paper applied over thick plaster.behind our stove and fridge. Not a small undertaking but we assembled some tools, put on the original cast recording from "Hair" and began trying to remove the contact paper and then just began crashing our hammers into the wall to break off chunks of plaster, laughing that our downstairs neighbors were out of town!

All three of us dislodged a big 2x3 foot piece and as it fell, thousands of roaches poured forth, scurrying everywhere. Hammers in hand we began smashing as many of them as we could while avoiding them crawling on us. As the dust settled and no more live ones could be seen, we noticed that large piece of plaster still in the middle of the floor. Ah Ha! Our hammers poised for one final death blow we simultaneously flipped over the piece.

There was one roach and it was totally white!

Halting our swings in midair, Tom said, "Shall we kill it?" Marcia said, "No, it's like The White Buffalo." So we put the piece of plaster back over it as it seemed in no hurry to scurry away. By the time of final cleanup, it had disappeared.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9246194

Coleup, that's quite a story! My Million Bells looks like your oxalis. Could it be snails? I haven't seen any stink bugs, so I doubt they were the culprit.

Gita, I witnessed a butterfly that had injured a wing and couldn't fly away. It looked so beautiful but it was sad how helpless it looked.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9257148

Coleup -- I love your story. I just dropped my daughter off at college, where we found several HUGE roaches in the dorms. Someone complained about these roaches at a parent meeting and we were laughed at reproachfully, the notion being that we were too finicky. Supposed to be part of the college adventure. Still, I wouldn't like to share my living quarters with roaches...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9257488

Happy---

Buy some Boric Acid powder (careful! it is toxic) and shoot it down behind the sink, under the sink and the counters
as well as all the floor boards. "Shot"--because it comes in a BIG container with a spout.
Squish the container to "shoot" the powder anywhere you want...

It is supposed to attract--and then kill roaches, as they take i back to their nests.
I fought Roaches for ONE year in my kitchen. Never knew where they came from--or where they went to.
But--they are gone. You can Google for more information...

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9257513

Happy, that's rather disturbing. Roaches are a health hazard!

I have a friend whose apartment was next to the trash drop. She had a serious roach issue when she first moved in, but using those Raid roach bait things (where they go in, take the poison, and infest their own colony) worked really well.

I haven't been outside much at all to prep for the fall swap. The mosquitos are worse than I remember from past summers. I went outside for maybe 90 seconds this morning and had bites all over my arms. Is there anything I can do to kill them? For some reason, they love hovering around the raspberries.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9257545

Happy- Holy carp. I was at College Park for four years and never saw one. For cryin out loud. YES on the boric acid. Is the place southern from here?

There are couple kinds orf roaches. Regular German ones, arethe typical infestation in apartments etc, bigger tan colored 'wood roaches' sometimes get in but prefer mulchand rotten wood; , really huge orientals are wider and black and usually just in very wet places. One day volunteering at my local public elem there were two orientals in the workroom sink. EEK! unusual to say the least. Never saw any roaches anywhere else in the school myself.

ssgardener- Ahgh they are terrible in my yard too. They hatch and hang around shrubs. I do not have any ponds or marshes around here. Interesting observation though- we went to the park by the river and weren't bothered in the least by skeeters!!! HMMM, could it be they have more natural enemies in the ecosystem, than in my yard?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9257642

Drink a lo tot of beer!
I have heard that the yeast in the beer repels Mosquitoes...hic...hic...

Cheers!!!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9258083

Thanks for messages of support about the roaches at my daughter's dorm. She is by the water -- at St. Mary's College of Maryland. I sent her a container of boric acid last weekend, but so far she prefers dousing the miscreants with bug spray -- I've tried to educate her that that will kill the bugs she is seeing, but won't do anything about the nest, which boric acid might eradicate. Of course, she can't kill an entire colony at her dorm with one container of boric acid. If she keeps spotting roaches, I'll complain to the school. They had a major mold problem last year (as a result of being right on the water, and having a hurricane hit), so this might be an outgrowth of that.

Mosquitos? We always have a ton -- we are pretty close to Rock Creek. It makes it miserable to sit outside. I keep looking for a good place to put up a screened-in porch, but the layout of our house doesn't make that very feasible.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9258130

Oh, We had a huge mess at Poppy's house in Fl. a few years ago. It was when we were down there to help clean up after one of the hurricanes. We treated the house, yard and did a major cleanup inside and out. We didn't take anything into the house, I left our clothes in the suitcases in the car Ric took a lot of tools down and some of those needed to be kept inside and on the porch so when we left we put all the tools in the trailer covered it with the black rubber tarp and put off a bomb in side. Left it sit for two weeks before we opened it just in case.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9258276

Happy--

My daughter also went to St. mary's College. Graduated in 1991.

There is a 10'x10' gazebo on clearance ($88) at my HD. It has mesh walls--all around.
Kind of like curtains. From the top to the floor.

Check your HD and see if they have it. We seem to have a bunch of them in boxes.
Go to homedepot.com and find your way to the gazebos---maybe you will get ti see what it looks like.

OH! I can take my camera and get a picture. Leaving for work right NOW! Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9258281

Thanks Gita. I don't need a gazebo, so please don't take the time to take a photo for me, but thanks!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9259109

Yes the butterflies certainly seem to be plentiful this year - I'm telling y'all that I passed the PB shrub on to...just wait till it gets huge and full of blooms. Cable doesn't come close to how much we've been entertained by the masses of butterflies this summer!!

Now on to the other 'swarm' - the white flies are out of control! Understand I know they LOVE the gardenias. And yes my one gardenia has put on a huge amt of growth in the past year. They don't seem to affect/bother the plants but certainly have become a nuisance to the humans - incl my next door neighbor (townhouses) who likes to sit on his stoop. I will admit that I've not kept up with the neem spraying and should probably just make up a murphey's soap/alcohol batch but do any of you have any other non-chemical suggestions. As I've noted before, many of my herbs I use for culinary and/or medicinal purposes are out there. I simply won't use the toxins on them. Thanks for any suggestions...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9259149

Chantell, I got the extra PB bush and everyone that comes to the gardens thinks it is amazing. We planted it down behind the barn near the compost pile so it isn't centrally located but I always walk guests down there to smell it. It also gave me the extra push to clean up the area a bit more. It is a dumping ground for things we don't want to see but I have consolidated the mess a bit so the PB bush stands out more. The only thing in that area for me to move yet is the pallet of brick we have stored there.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9259257

I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Holly! I love that plant!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9259538

Is this a bad guy?

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9260176

I'm pretty sure its bad- and that it's a tobacco budworm. I found a number of them on my Nicotinana and some on other things. Bugfiles pictures do not show this color but I think this color is variable. I know I have seen THESE guys here. I think Bug ID forum would give you a quick answer.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9260236

this is a budworm http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tobacco budworm&FORM=HDRSC2

I think it's either armyworm or just a striped garden caterpillar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichordestra_legitima

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9260308

Striped garden cat looks pretty good. I found two more today.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9262865

I call these two cats With and Without. Taken today on my tomato plants,

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9262872

I almost feel sorry for With. So loaded with cocoons!

ALMOST sorry.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9262901

Yes, Sally, that is the most I've ever seen on one. And for the other, less than 3 feet away to have none, well,,,
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 3, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9263171

Wow...very interesting reading and so right on target for what I found myself dealing with yesterday. Ants and stink bugs. For a day or two I was seeing an ant or two on the kitchen counter and was wondering where they were coming from. When I opened a bottom cabinet to get something, I found out where they were coming from. I found myself spending most of the afternoon taking every piece of food out of the cabinet, spraying ant spray and then proceeding to washing every item of food with a soapy wash cloth, drying it and putting it back inside the washed down cabinet. I also left an ant bait trap too. If that wasn't enough, upon inspection of the window in the master bedroom, I found three stink bugs inside the house. The others seemed to be outside, so I took my can of Bengal Gold Roach Killer which has proven to work well in killing them and sprayed around the outside of the window. A bit later, much to my dismay, I found out the bugs were actually inside so off to get some pieces of toilet paper, get those bugs and flush them bye bye. There must have been about twenty of them at the window. I have seen some others the past week or so too, but none as plentiful as at this window.

I too have had some sort of pest that has taken a liking to mainly my spider plants this summer. When inspecting for pests, the only thing I have seen is what must be a black larvae down in the very bottom of the plant where the leaves start growing. I have picked off what I could, and also dead head the affected leaves that have been munched on. Anyone familiar with a pest that prefers spider plants?

I have been lucky for the most part with my house plants and pests and can't really recall dealing with any sort of pests in the past. I hope that most everyone's pest problems are under control by now. Always something it seems.

Take good care all.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9263216

We haven't seen many stink bugs this summer but they have really been making their presence know the last few weeks and I think that is what is doing some of the serious damage to my plants.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9263520

Ugh RUby what a chore on the ants! I can't help RE the spider plants.

Same here as Holly on stink bugs- none early summer but more frequent as these weeks go by.

Ever read that squash borers will NOT affect plants planted after July 4th? I don't agree. I planted some late squash, pretty sure I waited for that magic day. Today I pulled yet another sick dying plant, and got 5 young grubs out of the stem.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9264369

Ants can be such a pain in the...well you know. As I was preparing Holy Basil honey yesterday the girls were helping find the 'bugs.' Much more helpful to me than where's Waldo...LOL. Found numerous stink bugs on the basil...creepy little critters. Still dealing with the swarm of white flies out front...UGH!! Literally you brush against the gardenia on your way past and if you don't 'brush off' they're in the car with you via your clothing. I might have a colony residing in my lungs by now...sheesh!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 4, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9264527

Holly, I am suspecting the same thing here in regards to stink bugs maybe being the culprit for plant damage. Earlier this week when watering a pot of very tall Zinnias, I had several fly away as the water hit. Yesterday I went out to take pictures of the damage to the spider plants and found some stink bugs hiding in several of the houseplants. Dang it!!!!

Anyway...the pcitures of my spider plants and pesty glob of black ick aren't very clear but I am hoping that someone here may have had something similar occur in the past and can tell me ways to treat. I have been pinching off any affected leaves and that seems to have cut back considerably on the damage on certain plants. I really don't want to think of bringing inside any sort of pest that may get in to the house...yuck!!!

I would appreciate any thoughts on what I may be dealing with here. Thanks folks.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw      

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9264557

A wild guess??????

Looks like some kind of Caterpillar poop?????

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9264982

Does look like bug poo.

More dying squash plants to day with more young and older vine borer grubs.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 5, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9265733

Dang...I have yet to see a catapillar though. Wow, will have to do a bit of research and see that I am doing things in order to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks Gita and Sally.

Ruby

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9266269

sheesh...I meant to go back out and take a pic of the fuzzy white caterpillar I saw when checking plants tonight...hmph...I shall check in the a.m. It was like those wooly ones..but white
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9266715

Chantell wrote:Ants can be such a pain in the...well you know. As I was preparing Holy Basil honey yesterday the girls were helping find the 'bugs.' Much more helpful to me than where's Waldo...LOL. Found numerous stink bugs on the basil...creepy little critters. Still dealing with the swarm of white flies out front...UGH!! Literally you brush against the gardenia on your way past and if you don't 'brush off' they're in the car with you via your clothing. I might have a colony residing in my lungs by now...sheesh!!

Chantell, we used 'sticky yellow traps' to control white fly at the greenhouse where I worked.
http://www.gardeners.com/Whitefly-Traps/05-244,default,pd.html

Basically anything yellow (attracts them) with a very sticky surface will trap lots of them. You can google for lots of DYI versions, too. One DYI I liked was a bright yellow mustard bottle smeared with petroleum jelly! A good going over with a vacuum cleaner might work, too.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9266769

Good to know Judy...I shall attack w/shop vac in one hand and sticky something in another...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9267600

Received this catalog today, mixed reviews on the stink bug trap but may be worth shot
http://www.plowhearth.com/get-rid-of-stink-bugs-indoors-and-out-with-stink-bug-traps_p406219.html

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9267895

What's going on with my echi?

Thumbnail by flowAjen

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9268254

I wouldsay something has been sucking out juice from the cells. Hoppers, bugs...

I'm just back from The Killing Fields lol. Dozens of harlequin bugs, and a few striped garden caterpillars, on my brassica (Komatsuna mustard spinach) Plants look horrible but last year they survived, and when frost killed the bugs they went krazey.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9273087

Has anyone had their grass really badly torn up? Mine looks as if animals were digging and digging through the grass (actually, it is mostly weeds). I've never had this before -- I should post a photo. It is really dramatic -- just happened in the last few days.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9273139

My dog does that when playing with rock

but could be squirrels burying their nuts, skunks looking for worms or grubs
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9273157

Look at this: Must be raccoons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2XaPmb75CY.

I'm going to do a booser "milky spore" treatment -- it has been at least 10 years...

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 1:13 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9274501

Yes we are and it was surprising how fast and large of an area. I was thinking skunks like a good size family. Then we were talking to someone today about the new huge wasps we have just started seeing in the last two weeks. Very large gold and brown colored. They dig holes about and inch or so in the grass. Put a dead cicada in the hole and lay their eggs in the body. I have never seen these things before so I am wondering if that is what I am seeing in the yard. I haven't had a chance to look them up yet and I haven't found there nest. We think it is a ground nest and are sure it is somewhere in the junipers. I've been watching them go in and out but can't see where in there they are nesting.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9274575

Holly, I think there are some large wasps called "Cicada Killers"! I wonder if they go in cycles like cicadas do?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9274595

Sounds like them. The soil under the Junipers is dry and loose and un-vegetated just what they like. Plus they haven't seemed to be aggressive. Which is very good I would have a terrible time getting under the Junipers to get the nests. I sure don't want more of them next year but I don't see me fixing the issue anytime soon.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America