Garden pests #2

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I figure I'd resurrect this old thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1191311/?hl=pests#new

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Starting to battle the stinkin' jbs

Thomaston, CT

No JBs here, but earwigs are eating my clems, & lily beetles are chomping the lilies.....where are the birds when you need them? I put up a new wren house....the wrens are not in the house but nesting someplace in the yard......

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do think the milky spore helped Jen

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ya I def need to do that

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

took a few years.. I put it down twice.. but I think it finally helped on the 4th year

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Have been surprisingly few lily beetles this year. I have dispatched about 6. maybe 3-4 larvae. I do think the cold rainy spring we had this year and last has done a number on the population. I am actually gonna get my Stargazers to bloom this year. my double lily is small flowered this season but has not been devastated by the LB's. I have much better success since I flick them into a cup. They like to drop to the ground and disappear and if you put a small cup {paper or styrofoam} underneath the leaf first, they drop right in. They are more easily killed from the cup.
I haven't noticed as much winter moth damage either, this because we had 80 degree weather early, early in spring and then frost. so maybe many of them hatched and then were killed by the sudden cold. There is still some damage, but not nearly as much as in recent years.
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

If noticed some really funky bugs this year I've never seen before, I need to start getting pics of them

Thomaston, CT

Martha, perhaps the lily beetles were eaten by the predator that was introduced into the Boston area recently.....

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

All I can find out online about the lily beetle predator release was that it was done out in Wellesley, MA. I am not sure how long it would take them to spread out this way. I live some 30 miles northeast from wellesley as the crow flies and would expect that a small wasp population would take some time to spread into the area, several seasons, at least. I noticed fewer individuals, those present preferred my stargazer lily to a yellow one and a double one that I had and that there seemed to be fewer last season as well. We did have wacky weather last spring and this. I have attempted to thoroughly hand pick adults and wash off larvae as I find them. The double lily is in a pot with an evergreen and didn't seem to host any beetles at all this year after I hand picked one adult. The yellow and the stargazer had about 4 adults between them and I must have missed the egg deposit on the stargazer as it was the most affected by larvae. I only have about 4 lilies and so I can observe them pretty closely. I didn't see any sign of infestation by parasites on the larvae I removed. I will be contacting the people at URI to find out where the release was and what they expect to find about the population increasing.
Martha

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I downloaded and am reading a URI {That's University of Rhode Island} study about their testing different types of lily beetle predators/parasites. Apparently they collected the beetle population they used in the study from Wellesley. Interesting once you convert all the Celsius to Farenheit.
Martha

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the info, Martha....I have about 50 lilies, so it's very hard to hand pick all of them....I've noticed the beetles like Orientals the best, the tall, thick-leaved hybrids the least......

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Besides the red lily beetles eating my lilies....this year something is destroying my Hollyhocks!!!!!!!!
The only bug I found was one red lily beetle sitting on a leaf. I've never had problems with HH before except for the rust. This is bad, what ever it is , it's making the leaves lacy.

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yikes!!!

Thomaston, CT

Good Grief....what a mess!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wow - no signs of the bug?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You might have to go out there at night and see what chomping away
looks like jb damage but you would see them during the day

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My one and only HH that I didn't cut before the rust looked like that...way before the JB came. I think it was earwigs.

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

My zucchinni looks the same way. It happened overnight. I used sevins and it stopped.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

whatever bug got my hibiscus AGAIN.. have to put a reminder on my calender to spray that thing

:(

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Could be a sawfly
Tiny green caterpillar under the leaves

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 8:54 PM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 8:54 PM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I looked and didn't see any.. I get those on my twig dogwoods too

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Pixie that damage could be Asiatic Beetles. I've found them to be most active at night. http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/caps/pestInfo/asiaticGardenbtl.htm

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I have seen load of J beetles. Ugh.

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

Interesting morning. Broccoli leaves eaten. Dead mole/vole and 2 beet plants disappeared....The boys have to come out

Thomaston, CT

Voles love veggies......

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

What killed the vole?

Thomaston, CT

Overeating from your garden!

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

Good for the mole or vole! Saw 2 GH.s coming out of the garden around 4 oclock. Son came last night with a 22 but men cant shut their mouths soooooooooooo...... Now there is a Have A Heart Trap set.

Oh my if they get caught I dont want to see what is done. Reguardless.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

If the damage is from earwigs, try Sluggo Plus. It has spinosad and apparently is attractive to earwigs. Or you could spray the hollyhocks with Captain Jack's Deadbug. I prefer Sluggo Plus because the bug doesn't have to eat any of the target plant to get zapped. Spinosad is the latest plant derived insecticide. I like it better than pyrethrins because it kills bugs when they eat it, so you don't have to hit the bug with the spray. I THINK you have to do that with pyrethrins.

LAS

Thomaston, CT

Pam (pfg) showed me her Capt. Jack's when I visited her.....it's on my list.....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

before I post any pretty pics for today.. had to post this one... what the ... what the ... is that??????

Thumbnail by onewish1 Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

someone in the ID forum said it's a bird poop caterpillar

????

Thomaston, CT

Perfect name for it...hope it doesn't come north!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok got the real answer.. it's leaf beetle larvae

http://beetlesinthebush.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/img_7997_enh_1080x720.jpg

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh and she said it's fecal matter on it's back for camo ... IIIICCCKKKK

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I'm sure the predators are thinking, "Look at that piece of s*** moving!"

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Red lily beetles do the same thing.....the larvae is covered in sh*t.

Thomaston, CT

Gross!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.