Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

Jatropha

Cave Creek, AZ

Has anyone ever tried to root jatropha cuttings and been successful?
Mickey

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes. Roots very easily. I use Root Tone (a hormone) in the hole and just stick a cutting in.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

It's my understanding that the Jatropha podagrica (Buddha Belly) won't develop the "belly" if grown from a cutting. Luckily they're very easy to start from seed.

Cave Creek, AZ

Amaryllisgal, Hi what is a belly?
BonnieGarden,
What are you suing as a medium, regular potting soil or vermiculite?

Regards,
Mickey

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Mickey, on this plant it's the bulbous shape of the lower trunk. Here's a photo I found online (you'll need to click on it to see the whole thing):

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mickey,
I make up my own potting soil as we have a huge pile of compost from having cows. I add peat moss, vermiculite or perlite, spagnum moss or whatever good stuff I have around.
BTW my jatropha doesn't look anything like Norma's pic. above. Guess its a different variety.
I'll try to take a pic. and send you.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Heres my jatropha.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh, I have one of those down at Okee.
Sidney

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine used to be 8 or 9 feet high but one cold winter they froze back and are only about 4 feet now. The little balls they get on them are what they extract oil from.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.