Tropical garden #121

Red Oak, TX

Welcome to all lovers of tropical plants!!
Please share pictures of your plants and gardens for us to enjoy, discuss and maybe even identify.
We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262487/

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Happy Birthday ardesia!!!

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita
Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Alice!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Alice! Hope you are having a glorious day!
Rita, firespike bloomed and I missed the first one, boo hoo..

Blackshear, GA

Happy Birthday Alice!! Hope you got a new plant for your birthday!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Alice, HAPPY BIRTHDAY - it's your 39th, right?!!!!!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Happy Birthday, Alice. Having a garden party today?

Look closely at the nasturtium picture, the stamens look like little birthday candles.

Sure hope your weather is a lot better than ours!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

Thank you everyone. It has been a good day, the grandchildren have been here and that is the best present.

Elaine, those stamins do look like candles.

Kay, it has been a longggggg time since 39, lol.

Ahh .... You know that's mostly in yo head gurl!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Happy birthday! Ardesia

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Tried to post this yesterday but was on the wrong thread. LOL!!

Hello everyone!! Greetings from South Louisiana. Everyone's blooms are sooo pretty. I haven't had help this year but manage to get most everything cut back. Our crepe myrtles are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by jeri11
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jeri - what wonderful landscaping. I have 1 myrtle in full bloom and the other, right next to it, is still thinking about blooming.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I know Qwilter. My pink is blooming good but the Natchez white, Watermelon, lavender & Dyaminte have just a few blooms, but all over town they are in full bloom. My purple magnolia is trying to bloom. Everything is so messed up with what season it is.

Red Oak, TX

Hi All !!!
Jeri11, I am so excited to see you! I thought of you the other day while photographing the bright red Crape Myrtle you sent me. They are just now peaking in Texas. That is a picture perfect garden, you did a great job!!
Please don't be a stranger, we would enjoy seeing more of your garden.

Bromeliad blanchetiana
Yellow Buddha belly
Uncarina grandidieri

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Rita, I'm slowly converting to all perennials and just covering the non-hardy plants with frost cloth. It has worked well for me. Here are my angel trumpets that I left in the ground and just covered with FC(picture takes 4/25/12).

I've popped in here and there but have little time now a days. It's worst than when I worked full time. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Lovely, Jeri. Bet that corner of your garden smells wonderful at night, too.

Not much new here, except the paler Gloriosa lilies are coming along after their sisters.

Oh, and cool, cloudy rainy weather - yay! Can hardly ever say the word "cool" around here in summer.

(Zone 9a)

Rita, you have such an amazing collection of beautiful plants. I have never seen a yellow buddha belly before and the uncarina was a new one for me too.

Ditto

Blackshear, GA

Elaine, how long does your gloriosas bloom. This is the first year that I have paid attention to mine. They had a ton of blooms on them but now they are just sitting there. I read somewhere that they bloom spring to fall. Is that right?

Crazy look to that flower Elaine... I guess that is why I love it!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

My gloriosas bloom at intervals all through the summer. They do put on a big flush, bloom for a month or so then take a rest for a while before coming on again. Give them a shot of fert when they finish blooming to stimulate new growth for the next flush.

Mine bloomed all the way into December last year.

The 'Chids are all cowering under the overhangs out there, hopefully not getting too much water with all this rain! Go Debby!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

You guys may want to put your houses on stilts down there.

Elaine, I want some 'Chids' - what is the botanical name and where can I get them?

(Zone 9a)

I agree with Drew, you FL folks are really getting a good wash this week. Keep your eyes open and stay safe.

Elaine, those orchids are among the prettiest I have seen, so simple and elegant looking.

It is so still, we don't have a breath of air here today, the temp is not bad, just about 81, but it feels like it is 181.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

We've had over 5in. of rain since Friday, I just emptied my brimming rain gauge. Woo hoo, a tornado warning out on Longboat Key right now! Airport has gusts over 40mph. right now, too.

That's my favorite orchid, too, Alice. I love the simple flower form. It's a NoID Brassavola I got at the Master Gardener plant sale last October. This is the second bloom spike I've had on this one since October, and it has two more coming. Some of them are fragrant at night although this one isn't. I have six different types of Brassavolas right now because they're easy, bloom often and I love the flowers. You can see in the picture I just took a minute ago the new bud opening is sort of rosy, but as the flowers mature they get more yellow and end up almost orange.

KayJones, if you're going to start out with orchids, Brassavola hybrids are some of the best ones to start with. Find a friend with a clumpy Brassavola, they can give you a division easily, and it will be nice, easy care and bloom at least twice a year. They love to grow in a basket hanging in a tree for most of the year, and then (naturally) hang it in the greenhouse or indoors if the weather gets cold.

Just my opinion, but people who say Phalaenopsis are "beginner" orchids are out to lunch. They're the only ones I've had that are really fussy, don't like being moved, wilt and get sunburnt and generally are terrible divas. Maybe they do better if you grow them indoors, but that's not an option for me.

I am so brain-dense - now, I see that 'Chid' stands for an Orchid. While I don't grow this species, I grow several Phals and they like in in my Florida room.

Blackshear, GA

Elaine,
Have you ever tried to plant the seeds of the gloriosas? Do you cut off the old blooms to encourage new growth?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I do deadhead them, Paula, but only because they are right beside the door where I walk in and out all day long, and I can't stand to see the dying flowers. So, as far as I know I haven't had any seeds. But mine have been spreading on their own underground, so I'm pretty sure if I dug down there in the winter there would be lots of rhizomes.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Elaine, are you getting as much of the weather as us? We have had over 10" and that was by this am. now we have a lot of the wind whipping around. I'm so wanting to go out to the golf and see the waves, but to chicken to be on the road driving....

Jan

Ensete glaucum cranking up with the heat and humidity. You guys stay alert to tornado warnings please.

Thumbnail by homer1958
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

bad weather all around ... only hot here..
nice banana, drew.

Guess what? I found my red siam nanaer,,, Rita I had feared I would lose it if it wasn't in a barrell on the patio.. it is there and really growing now.. I had to clear out some violets and creeping daiseys to let the sun in and that is when I found it.
Everyone but Joanna and I are swimming, floating and sunning in cool water.. well, Joe is shopping.. but anyway, usually I am there with them at Dana's, but I hadn't felt like enduring the heat for a few days. I go out in the am, and do ten minute sprints to see what is up..I saw a cool misting system for 16.00 at lowes, going to southerlands to see if they have one, it would be great for the front porch that holds the tender shade loving tropicals.
I did pick up a new plant, just had to have it, it is really pretty.
have not seen my gloriosas anywhere..

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Your Ensete is really lovely, Drew. I'm impressed that the leaves are still intact. Not too much wind in your area lately, huh?

Sure is windy here. Jan, I've emptied the rain gauge already today, and it's half full again so that's over 7in. of rain. Wind is nice, but very gusty too. If the rain would stay away more, I'd be out there gardening happily. So nice and cool!

Meantime, I'm trying a new plant label method - cut up an old black nursery pot, marked with a silver Sharpie. I got this idea from another forum member who said she labeled her black pots with the silver marker and it lasted for years! With our heat and humidity it will be a good test so - we shall see. Meantime, I like the look of the black labels, they're so much less conspicuous than the usual white ones.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Elaine, that's clever - I may try it! Deb brought me some paint pens that would work for this.

(Zone 9a)

Elaine, That is a good idea to use the black pots and goodness knows, I have more than a few around, but I would use a Deco Paint Pen. Tony Avant recommends them as the Sharpies tend to fade in the heat around here. Deco is actually enamel and they do come in all colors including silver. You can get them at the craft shops like Michaels or AC Moore.

Debra, isn't it great to find something special hiding in the jungle.

Well, what a mess my yard is this morning! I have limbs down all over my yard, plants blown over, plants broken and split in half - what a mess! The good news is that no one was hurt that I know of. I hope everyone fared o.k. during this tropical storm, which is to continue through Friday. I'm not even going to try to salvage plants nor clean up the yard until the 30+ m.p.h. winds cease, so won't know how much my plants were damaged until I do that.

Be safe everyone... a lot of people are hurt after T. storms cleaning up debris!

Var. Alocasia Macrorrhizos 'Black Stem''

Thumbnail by homer1958
Blackshear, GA

Its reached us now....rained almost all day yesterday and rained all night with wind. Have they decided where its going yet? Last I looked they still wasn't sure, but obviously its getting close. Just when I thought I would be able to plant my horse pasture....argh...I'm never going to get grass going for them!!

I'm going to be in the GH today cleaning, repotting, and organizing the ones I will trade/give away. I definately have to thin some out.

Blackshear, GA

Drew, I love that one...very different!!

(Zone 9a)

We are just getting a bit of it now and it is supposed to keep up all week with the worst of it on Friday. In our case, we needed it badly so I can't complain.

Paula, my son and his family drove from here to his home in JAX yesterday and he said the rain was the worst around your area. You have really gotten some wet stuff this year.

KayJones be careful, like Drew said, this has been sort of a freaky storm.

Drew, I love the way those black stems just set off the variegation in the leaves on that plant.

(Zone 9a)

Just saw where tropiflora has Neophytum Burgundy Hill on sale today. They are usually pretty hard to find. This is a neat plant I used to have but it did not make it through the winter of 09/10 for me. My plant was much redder than these young ones are.

http://tropiflora.safenetserver.com/shop.cfm?page=display&ProductID=52497&iPageNbr=4&src=vipp

I have managed to mess up my photo libraries, I can open them to see the pictures but not when I am on this site. When I try and post one here the folder is empty. Grrrrrr

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.