Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
prita
Red Oak, TX

June 21, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9174421

Welcome to all lovers of tropical plants!!
Please share pictures of your plants and gardens for us to enjoy, discuss and maybe even identify.
We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262487/

Thumbnail by prita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

prita
Red Oak, TX

June 21, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9174429

Happy Birthday ardesia!!!

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita
Click an image for an enlarged view.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9174461

Happy Birthday Alice!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9174564

Happy Birthday Alice! Hope you are having a glorious day!
Rita, firespike bloomed and I missed the first one, boo hoo..
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 21, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9174634

Happy Birthday Alice!! Hope you got a new plant for your birthday!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9174646

Alice, HAPPY BIRTHDAY - it's your 39th, right?!!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9174830

Happy Birthday, Alice. Having a garden party today?

Look closely at the nasturtium picture, the stamens look like little birthday candles.

Sure hope your weather is a lot better than ours!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9174933

Thank you everyone. It has been a good day, the grandchildren have been here and that is the best present.

Elaine, those stamins do look like candles.

Kay, it has been a longggggg time since 39, lol.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9175046

Ahh ... You know that's mostly in yo head gurl!
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9175058

Happy birthday! Ardesia

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9175615

Tried to post this yesterday but was on the wrong thread. LOL!!

Hello everyone!! Greetings from South Louisiana. Everyone's blooms are sooo pretty. I haven't had help this year but manage to get most everything cut back. Our crepe myrtles are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by jeri11

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9176991

Jeri - what wonderful landscaping. I have 1 myrtle in full bloom and the other, right next to it, is still thinking about blooming.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9177030

I know Qwilter. My pink is blooming good but the Natchez white, Watermelon, lavender & Dyaminte have just a few blooms, but all over town they are in full bloom. My purple magnolia is trying to bloom. Everything is so messed up with what season it is.
prita
Red Oak, TX

June 23, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9177036

Hi All !!!
Jeri11, I am so excited to see you! I thought of you the other day while photographing the bright red Crape Myrtle you sent me. They are just now peaking in Texas. That is a picture perfect garden, you did a great job!!
Please don't be a stranger, we would enjoy seeing more of your garden.

Bromeliad blanchetiana
Yellow Buddha belly
Uncarina grandidieri

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 23, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9177134

Thanks Rita, I'm slowly converting to all perennials and just covering the non-hardy plants with frost cloth. It has worked well for me. Here are my angel trumpets that I left in the ground and just covered with FC(picture takes 4/25/12).

I've popped in here and there but have little time now a days. It's worst than when I worked full time. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9177151

Lovely, Jeri. Bet that corner of your garden smells wonderful at night, too.

Not much new here, except the paler Gloriosa lilies are coming along after their sisters.

Oh, and cool, cloudy rainy weather - yay! Can hardly ever say the word "cool" around here in summer.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9177267

Rita, you have such an amazing collection of beautiful plants. I have never seen a yellow buddha belly before and the uncarina was a new one for me too.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9177269

Ditto
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 24, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9178071

Elaine, how long does your gloriosas bloom. This is the first year that I have paid attention to mine. They had a ton of blooms on them but now they are just sitting there. I read somewhere that they bloom spring to fall. Is that right?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9178094

Crazy look to that flower Elaine... I guess that is why I love it!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9178312

My gloriosas bloom at intervals all through the summer. They do put on a big flush, bloom for a month or so then take a rest for a while before coming on again. Give them a shot of fert when they finish blooming to stimulate new growth for the next flush.

Mine bloomed all the way into December last year.

The 'Chids are all cowering under the overhangs out there, hopefully not getting too much water with all this rain! Go Debby!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9178388

You guys may want to put your houses on stilts down there.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9178408

Elaine, I want some 'Chids' - what is the botanical name and where can I get them?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9178479

I agree with Drew, you FL folks are really getting a good wash this week. Keep your eyes open and stay safe.

Elaine, those orchids are among the prettiest I have seen, so simple and elegant looking.

It is so still, we don't have a breath of air here today, the temp is not bad, just about 81, but it feels like it is 181.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9178566

We've had over 5in. of rain since Friday, I just emptied my brimming rain gauge. Woo hoo, a tornado warning out on Longboat Key right now! Airport has gusts over 40mph. right now, too.

That's my favorite orchid, too, Alice. I love the simple flower form. It's a NoID Brassavola I got at the Master Gardener plant sale last October. This is the second bloom spike I've had on this one since October, and it has two more coming. Some of them are fragrant at night although this one isn't. I have six different types of Brassavolas right now because they're easy, bloom often and I love the flowers. You can see in the picture I just took a minute ago the new bud opening is sort of rosy, but as the flowers mature they get more yellow and end up almost orange.

KayJones, if you're going to start out with orchids, Brassavola hybrids are some of the best ones to start with. Find a friend with a clumpy Brassavola, they can give you a division easily, and it will be nice, easy care and bloom at least twice a year. They love to grow in a basket hanging in a tree for most of the year, and then (naturally) hang it in the greenhouse or indoors if the weather gets cold.

Just my opinion, but people who say Phalaenopsis are "beginner" orchids are out to lunch. They're the only ones I've had that are really fussy, don't like being moved, wilt and get sunburnt and generally are terrible divas. Maybe they do better if you grow them indoors, but that's not an option for me.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9178590

I am so brain-dense - now, I see that 'Chid' stands for an Orchid. While I don't grow this species, I grow several Phals and they like in in my Florida room.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 24, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9178634

Elaine,
Have you ever tried to plant the seeds of the gloriosas? Do you cut off the old blooms to encourage new growth?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9178660

I do deadhead them, Paula, but only because they are right beside the door where I walk in and out all day long, and I can't stand to see the dying flowers. So, as far as I know I haven't had any seeds. But mine have been spreading on their own underground, so I'm pretty sure if I dug down there in the winter there would be lots of rhizomes.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9178766

Elaine, are you getting as much of the weather as us? We have had over 10" and that was by this am. now we have a lot of the wind whipping around. I'm so wanting to go out to the golf and see the waves, but to chicken to be on the road driving...

Jan
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9178824

Ensete glaucum cranking up with the heat and humidity. You guys stay alert to tornado warnings please.

Thumbnail by homer1958

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9178860

bad weather all around ... only hot here..
nice banana, drew.

Guess what? I found my red siam nanaer,,, Rita I had feared I would lose it if it wasn't in a barrell on the patio.. it is there and really growing now.. I had to clear out some violets and creeping daiseys to let the sun in and that is when I found it.
Everyone but Joanna and I are swimming, floating and sunning in cool water.. well, Joe is shopping.. but anyway, usually I am there with them at Dana's, but I hadn't felt like enduring the heat for a few days. I go out in the am, and do ten minute sprints to see what is up..I saw a cool misting system for 16.00 at lowes, going to southerlands to see if they have one, it would be great for the front porch that holds the tender shade loving tropicals.
I did pick up a new plant, just had to have it, it is really pretty.
have not seen my gloriosas anywhere..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9178915

Your Ensete is really lovely, Drew. I'm impressed that the leaves are still intact. Not too much wind in your area lately, huh?

Sure is windy here. Jan, I've emptied the rain gauge already today, and it's half full again so that's over 7in. of rain. Wind is nice, but very gusty too. If the rain would stay away more, I'd be out there gardening happily. So nice and cool!

Meantime, I'm trying a new plant label method - cut up an old black nursery pot, marked with a silver Sharpie. I got this idea from another forum member who said she labeled her black pots with the silver marker and it lasted for years! With our heat and humidity it will be a good test so - we shall see. Meantime, I like the look of the black labels, they're so much less conspicuous than the usual white ones.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9178978

Elaine, that's clever - I may try it! Deb brought me some paint pens that would work for this.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9179025

Elaine, That is a good idea to use the black pots and goodness knows, I have more than a few around, but I would use a Deco Paint Pen. Tony Avant recommends them as the Sharpies tend to fade in the heat around here. Deco is actually enamel and they do come in all colors including silver. You can get them at the craft shops like Michaels or AC Moore.

Debra, isn't it great to find something special hiding in the jungle.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9179498

Well, what a mess my yard is this morning! I have limbs down all over my yard, plants blown over, plants broken and split in half - what a mess! The good news is that no one was hurt that I know of. I hope everyone fared o.k. during this tropical storm, which is to continue through Friday. I'm not even going to try to salvage plants nor clean up the yard until the 30+ m.p.h. winds cease, so won't know how much my plants were damaged until I do that.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9179505

Be safe everyone... a lot of people are hurt after T. storms cleaning up debris!

Var. Alocasia Macrorrhizos 'Black Stem''

Thumbnail by homer1958

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9179513

Its reached us now...rained almost all day yesterday and rained all night with wind. Have they decided where its going yet? Last I looked they still wasn't sure, but obviously its getting close. Just when I thought I would be able to plant my horse pasture...argh...I'm never going to get grass going for them!!

I'm going to be in the GH today cleaning, repotting, and organizing the ones I will trade/give away. I definately have to thin some out.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 25, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9179515

Drew, I love that one...very different!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9179725

We are just getting a bit of it now and it is supposed to keep up all week with the worst of it on Friday. In our case, we needed it badly so I can't complain.

Paula, my son and his family drove from here to his home in JAX yesterday and he said the rain was the worst around your area. You have really gotten some wet stuff this year.

KayJones be careful, like Drew said, this has been sort of a freaky storm.

Drew, I love the way those black stems just set off the variegation in the leaves on that plant.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9179847

Just saw where tropiflora has Neophytum Burgundy Hill on sale today. They are usually pretty hard to find. This is a neat plant I used to have but it did not make it through the winter of 09/10 for me. My plant was much redder than these young ones are.

http://tropiflora.safenetserver.com/shop.cfm?page=display&ProductID=52497&iPageNbr=4&src=vipp

I have managed to mess up my photo libraries, I can open them to see the pictures but not when I am on this site. When I try and post one here the folder is empty. Grrrrrr

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9179883

That's really an elegant little Alo, Drew. I do love things with black stems.

I'm with you, KayJones. Enough, already! Wish this storm would move along. Been raining and blowing all night here, and it looks like we are right under the "train" of a big juicy rain band this morning. I went out before it got dark last night and found several big pots tipped over. Decided it was better to leave them lying down, rather than to stand them up and have them blow over again.

Some of my orchids cowering under the patio table. I do have a few blooming, too.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9180115

we were doing ok, until last night, 5 foot roof venting pipe came off tore through the pool cage, 3 yard fence panels are down, have them temp fixed until the fence guys get here on thursday, had several leaks in the ceiling, numerous tree limbs down, other potted plants are staying on their side as well, don't want to keep picking them up until it has moved on. So all in all not too bad. One women was killed from a tornatoe, they found her holding her 2 year old who was still alive, the moms arms still wrapped around the child. This news makes you appreciate just having structural damage.

Jan
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9180151

Wow Jan, Puts it all in perspective...

Thanks you guys! Let me take a picture from the abaxial (bottom of leaf) side. I think you will appreciate the black veins even better Alice.
prita
Red Oak, TX

June 26, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9182091

Hello Everyone!!!

Jeri11, please pop back in whenever you find the time. I too, am in a similar situation. My time is no longer my own but I do love it that they need me! My GKs went home with chiggers last weekend, now I am in the doghouse.

dyzzy, thanks for the labeling tip. I hope that you are drying out and back in your garden. Love your Gloriosa lilies.

ardesia, thanks, I bought that Uncarina from Tropiflora, it has been blooming since spring.

homer1958, as usual, I am totally impressed with the size and rarity of your plants. Is that your Alocasia Borneo Giant in your first picture?

Kay Jones, Glad to hear that you did not have much damage from the storm.

Joeswife, that is good news concearning the Siam Ruby!! The mister for $16 is a good deal, I just purchased 10' for $25 from Lowe's.

A few old reliables starting to bloom

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

June 26, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9182092

Hey mjsponies, glad to see you back!! Hopefully Rachel will be next. I have missed you guys.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9182109

Thanks Rita for such a warm welcome!!! It is good to see so many members that I remember. Hope everyone in the path of Debbie stays safe!

A few shots from yesterday.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9182111

My fish.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9182116

Natchez crepe myrtle starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9182121

My fountain in full bloom

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9182124

My Texas Star Hibiscus is shining today.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9182131

This is the 1st time this hibiscus has bloomed. I got it from Logee and it was a 2" plug in April.

Thumbnail by jeri11

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 26, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9182224

Oh Rita...that is too funny! I bet the kids had fun 'getting' the chiggers! I remember getting them when I was a child and they itched like crazy!! My husbands swears by a chlorine bath...he runs very warm/hot water and pours some bleach in it and sits in it for 30 minutes or more. I have never tried it. Might not be good for little ones though.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9182413

I, too, soak in a bath with bleach when I get chigger and mosquito bites - works for me!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9182515

Rita, Borneo Giant is on Thread # 120 ... Post #9159816.

Rita, Jeri ... Sensory overload!

Elaine, my Ensete Banana pants are fairly protected with a line of trees between my next door neighbor and I.

As I said I would...

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9182554

It's just beautiful, Drew. So you spend your days laying on the floor of the garage?

Then slide out at night and take pictures of your pants . . uhh, plants.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9182590

So far we have only had a very few sprinkles, far less than we need but Debby has brought us a light breeze and a big drop in the temp. For the first time in weeks we can sleep with the windows open and the hedychiums are right outside the bedroom. Normally it is way too warm, the AC is on and everything is closed up tight when they bloom so we don't catch the scent but tonight it is different and lovely.

My favorite coleus and its many colors.

I have been air layering the hibiscus tillaceus, sure looks funny with the aluminum foil wraps.

FL Friends, please be careful with all this flooding.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9182597

Oh, Alice - that's a pretty Hib.!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9182613

Alice is that the Tri colored Hau? I fell in love with those when I 1st saw them years ago growing. Do you have better luck air layering than rooting hormone in soil or water?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9182617

Thanks, you OK in the panhandle???

Drew, the coloring on that plant is striking.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9182632

Yes, that one is known by tillaceus, hau and even mahoe, the Hawaiians have many names for it. This one has grown in strange directions so I am trying to shape it and I have had excellent luck with air layering. I air layered the the top 20" and it grew long and ropy roots in just 4 weeks, that really surprised me. I scrape the bark a bit, making sure there are several nodes in the area, dust with rooting hormone and wrap with damp spaghnum and plastic wrap then I cover it all with foil.

These will be demos at a propagation class, it is always fun to open the foil and show the participants the new roots. I bought the parent plant at Zone 9.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9182728

Yes, Alice - all is calm here in our area - thanks for asking!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9182738

Thanks, Alice. I need to try air-layering my Skeleton Rose geranium. It's gotten really leggy and ugly, but I've had no success at all getting any cuttings to root.

Weather is improving here, with winds turning more westerly and moderating. We did have a few more heavy rain squalls today, but it feels as if the worst is over for us, at least. I may even put the orchids back out in the garden so they can dry out and stand up my big pots again. Won't need to turn on the irrigation for a couple more days, though.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9182811

Same here - sprinklers will go back on Friday. I went out and picked up 4 trailer-loads of limbs and stood all the plants back up. We have not even a breeze here right now - think the stormy weather is over for now. Of course, the weather channel predicts we will have about 14 tropical storms this season, so it's just a matter of when.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9183017

Picking up after a little storm is always a royal pain you know where. It is the big storms I fear. I still have way too many containers around the garden, I am afraid they would become missiles in a real hurricane. I keep planting and planting so there will be fewer pots to worry about and when I think I am done I seem to promptly go out and buy some more! It is a sickness. :-(

All the large planters on my deck are on rolling stands so i can easily scoot them into the house when necessary.

Love that variegated ginger Elaine.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9183134

I'm thinking of tethering all my container pots to shrubs and trees!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9183158

If these little showers would just let up for a few hours, things would dry out and I'd be able to break out the "big guns" - my leaf blower and power washer - to at least clean the pathways.

Weeds are huge, but some of them are welcome - Ipomoea quamoclit aka cypress vine always pops up somewhere. Hope the hummers weren't all blown away.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9183232

Glad to see that that tree limb is still attached to the tree... loosing that would me a terrible thing to your garden below...

We are enjoying a beautiful start to the day, hardly any wind, no rain (at least for now) and just all around good.

Jan
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9183677

We ALL have the S.I.C.K.N.E.S.S. Alice!!!!!!!!!

'
New leaves on the Big Boys! Will post later this evening! Can you believe this...? 58 for the low this A.M. 103 Fri., 101 Sat. and Sun. for highs. 'There will be blood'.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 3:44 PM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9183745

I agree, Drew. Not only do we all have the disease, we all make it worse for each other and spread it around, too! What a sick bunch we are. Plantsilitis? Pneugrownia?

Jan, I agree it would be a tragedy if the oak tree ever drops that limb. It would take out a good piece of the fence, and a lot of my precious plants, too. That's a big old grand tree, though. It's so big and solid, I have a lot of confidence in it.

My big tall gingers got knocked down by the wind and rain, but the cannas sure love all that water!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9183800

Strepthroatocarpus?

Tropicana Gold

Thumbnail by ardesia

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9184092

ahem... kansas has highest temps in nation... ugh. 115 in Hill City... Guess I will be bringing in the tropicals since this pressure thing is going to stay with us again this year.. I can't stand to see them suffer.Good thing I didn't take out the chalice vine, it is all over it's space down under lights in the basement and it looks like it is going to bloom soon. I will be cleaning up the first room to make ready, if this is the only way I am to see things thrive..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9184124

You have StrepThroat Alice?

Hope everyone Florida way makes it through this tough time as easily as possible!

Elaine, is that Colocasia Midouri Sour or something like that?

Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9184133

Hear ya Deb! Never in June, 3 triple digits in a row. Got ya some beauties there!
Forgot to put the chair by the other guys for scale... been a long day ... I'm headed to horizontal!

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 9:45 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9184186

I have to admit that I have the illness BAD! I have learned to say no thank you and I have no room and that has worked very well for me this year. If I could just quit looking online and at Logee's catalog I would even be able to say that I have some money but I was quite ill and looked online and bought and did manage to throw out the Logee catalog without even open a page but them they got me with the sales emails so I have decided that I'm really loosing this battle.

We had a sultry 99 today and it felt like a cool wave hit us. I was busy with different things that I have ongoing today and just sat down and it's already 10:00 P.M. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9184213

Got to admit, the good thing about these tropical storms is they do cool things off. We haven't hit 90 since a week ago, and tomorrow is supposed to be "low" relative humidity, too. Heading out there early to get more stuff picked up and ply the leaf blower to the pathways. Tried it today and barely would move the top layer of leaves and twigs, it's so wet.

Nope, Drew the only Colocasia I have is Blue Hawaii. I just like the feathering pattern on the new leaves. (and I hate to post without a picture) It has dark purple stems and leaf veins. Mm, well, I do have a start of 'Lime Zinger' that Cassie sent me, plus two 'Stingrays' but they're Alocasias, I think. Then there's the "mystery philo" with the red stems that Cassie also sent. It's taking off and I really need to ID it. Will take a new picture of it tomorrow, before I attempt to re-pot it. (it's just barely out of the pic below). Baby brugs.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9184326

lol, No strep here, I was just giggling along with Elaine's plant related illnesses.

Drew, How do you keep those pots with huge plants watered? They must transpire gallons a day.

E. bidwillii is on its second flush.

Thumbnail by ardesia

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9184362

Elaine, the lime zinger is a Xanthosoma; stingrays are Alocasias. Send a picture of the Philo. when you can.

Alice, I spend about 6-7 hours a day on the plants and gardens around the house. I keep 2- 5 gallon buckets full of water, and a hose is never more than a few steps.

That Monstera deliciosa will have to be potted up in the next couple of days as the past week or so I have been watering every other day.

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9184557

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't been on much lately... Things have been interesting around here, in the ancient Chinese meaning of the term...

First, my one grandmother gets sent to the hospital with chest pains (the best they can figure is that it might be related to her radiation treatments), then my OTHER grandmother gets sent to the hospital because she collapsed, and she's now in a rehab home (thankfully). Then on Saturday morning, my plant-loving uncle in South Carolina was rushed to the hospital because he was going into convulsions. It turns out is was because he wasn't taking his thyroid medicine...

Then I find out that the listing agent finally got back to my agent in regards to the offer for the house I'm buying, so I ended up spending two hours at the bank yesterday signing loan paperwork... Since I couldn't find anything in the fine print about Souls, involving Virgin sacrifices, First-Born children or Arms and Legs, I figure I'm good, although they do have more extra fees than the used car dealers by the interstate.

Not much going on in the garden, although, while helping dad clear out some of the weeds near the bird bath, we discovered a true seedling of our old, huge Rose of Sharon... It is one of the varieties that have the white flowers with red centers... The seedling (well, more like sapling) is the perfect size for digging up and moving to the new house, whenever I finally get around to closing the deal on that (which may be as late as two days before my wedding. >:()...

I'll try to post a picture later.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 28, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9184588

Congratulations on the house and the wedding!! Its so much fun to have a new house, BUT so much work!! We just built a new one and six months later, I still don't have things unpacked or my landscape done. But when its just one person doing everything it takes time. Hope all the family is doing better!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 28, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9184613

Here are some of my plants.

Third one is Rugosa. I thought this had died, but noticed it coming up...glad I didn't throw it away!!

Fourth - vargigated crown of thorns

Fifth - begonia listada

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 28, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9184621

Drew,
Mine are nowhere near yours, but I am quite proud of my mickey mouse

Second - Philo. gloriosum

Third - Drew, one of yours, can you ID...lost tag

Fourth - Can you ID this?

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9184626

Mystery philo with red stems from Cassie. It looks to be a runner, like the Gloriosas. It has crawled across this pot and now is looking for something to climb, maybe?

This might be The Answer to what will cover up the big, ugly stump. IF it will live in mostly shade, and climb up the nice rough bark.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9184740

Paula, Third... Variegated Macrorrhizos
Fourth... Looks like Philo. pastazanum. With the way Philos. morph, there really is no telling. Rachel or Rita probably know.

Mickey is jamming. P. gloriosum?...is rocking also.

Elaine, Definitely looks like it wants to climb. Looks to me like Philo. 'Painted Lady', it should do well.

Hikaro, Thankfully they usually come in threes!

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 12:02 PM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 28, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9184805

Thanks Drew!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9184934

Wow, Ben that's a lot of disasters to come along all at once. You've earned a reprieve.

Drew I don't think that philo's going to be variegated, see the mature leaves are solid, very rich green. New leaves are anemic because all the fert has been washed away. It certainly has the red stems like 'Painted Lady' though.

Anyway, I'm going to plant it by the stump and see what happens.

Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9185556

Thanks for the support, guys! BTW, I forgot to mention that one of my relatives from out of town was also in last week. Sunday afternoon, we went on an evening walk and it was dark by the time we got back, so I actually got to see our Yucca filamentosa flowers fully open for a change, and I even spotted a Yucca Moth!

Anyways, I had to water all the plants I have potted up because it's been hot and dry here the past few days... My poor hardy banana was looking rather sad when I got home from work. I forgot to take a pic of the recently discovered Rose of Sharon, so I'll try to do that tomorrow...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9185596

Nice zinger Elaine... time will tell on the Philo.
prita
Red Oak, TX

June 29, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9186820

Hello gardening friends!
Awesome pictures everyone!!!!

Jeri11, love your fish pot and your fountain is just beautiful, that is a great idea.
What is the name of your hibiscus from logee? It's not one you see everyday, if the grasshoppers would leave my buds alone, I would have a few blooms to show.

GAgirl1066, thanks for the show, the Begonia listada is one I will try to find. They are my new obsession this year. Love your plant stands as well.

dyzzy, I am getting jealous of your variegated ginger it is nice, the brutal sun here in Texas has cooked the leaves on mine.
Your Philo. could be a Andersons Red.
http://www.briansbotanicals.net/product.html?id=21

1.Tibouchina grandifolia, even without flowers this plant is interesting with big velvety round leaves.
2.Papaya from Rj.
3.Red Hot cattail

prita
Red Oak, TX

June 29, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9186821

Joeswife, a girl has to do what must be done to protect her plants, you should see my yard with shadecloth everywhere. My fingers are crossed that your chalice vine will give you tons of bloooms this year.

ardesia, the scent of hedychiums through the bedrooom window reminds me of my childhood days. Love your favorite coleus, did your hibiscus tillaceus ever bloom for you?

The Stephanotis and the Nong Noch vines are starting to bloom.

prita
Red Oak, TX

June 29, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9186822

homer,I enjoy viewing your nice big healthy plants, I went back to check on the Borneo Giant and saw a new Alocasia Archetype Paisley that you bought from Botanical growers. What a beauty!! I tried to purchase one but their site seems to be down.

Ben, it seems as if it is going to be smooth sailing from now on with all the disasters out of the way.
Congratulations on your new home and wedding!!
Good job on saving the Rose of Sharon, I have other colors if you would like a few for your new garden.

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 7:43 PM

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9186880

TAlK about healthy... Very nice Rita! 104 here today... 100's till Tuesday... Brutal! Water twice a day for 2-21/2 hours in addition to misting 4-5 times a day.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9186909

Rita, such lovely pictures - that one of the Stephanotis is really sublime. You may be right about the red philo, but as Drew says, time will tell. Everybody gets a dose of fert tomorrow, so I'm thinking that may green up those new leaves.

I am so happy with the variegated spiral ginger you gave me, but still waiting on a bloom. Has yours bloomed? The one with the red/yellow striped flowers has almost finished and it is 4ft. away inside the pool cage, same light, same treatment.

First time in 4 years my Lobster Claw heliconias have one bloom. I'm thinking the mild winter and extra water made it work.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9187054

you are all such great Gardeners. I love all the flowers andplants posted here. Jeri, that hibiscus is beautiful. a 2 inch plug? your green thumb must go up to your arm.. good job!
Alice, I love the plants you show, I guess In My Mind you are in Flrida, and for some reason, I see all of you in Florida. LOL oh well, it is all a zone thing in my head. one state, one zone. duh. sorry.
Rita as always , your plants give me joy, and that Tibouchina grandifolia is beautiufl all grown and bloomed, because I saw one last month in real life!
I even have a small one and hope I can get it to be big. Fighting the triple digits with no rain, watering every night and keeping food in the water is a chore. I am still after that mister, but today I saw a FAN with a mister for 80.00. If I make bonus, I am getting that one.

Elaine, I finally have some buds on a couple brugs, but it has been hard getting them to a spot they don't fry in. I am making the last moves tommorrow evening when my Son comes over, no date night this Saturday. Just moving the things that stress themost in the short amount of time that they do in the sun sends me into moving action. I am sure you all do that.
Paula, I am glad to see you posting., We all miss you. I hope all your plants are doing well. Hope to see your new place someday.

Ben, your future is looking bright I can just see it. I bet you are ready for a lot of changes, right?
I miss my south shrub line they chopped down. it was over 11 ft tall and was great for shade and wind break and privacy.

plumeria is finaly outside south front garden. under the mimosa tree and the purple red self heading philo ( rubber tree?) cuttings from Esthers plant is thriving along with the gingers. I cut down all the wild honey suckle and sweet autumn clematis, and still need to trim the bamboo and start training it to run west.
mimosa came back from their chopping, and I keep it trimmed to the two yards at the fence line. the 4 trees they cut down at back keeps it sunny enough for the sunlovers, but too much sun for the tropicals. cleared out some space under the pear tree, we are looking at triple digits ofr the rest of summer. cannas on north fence are starting to bloom., kopper king hibiscus is three times bigger this year and loaded.
my A"s and C's and E's do not look anything like any of ya'alls this year. everything went dormant when they went out and are just now starting to come out of it. Can't wait to see if I still have half of what I started with . Caladiums are popping up in the oddest places, again.
new arbor on south fence..

Thumbnail by joeswife

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9187137

This heat is getting to me already and it has only been bad for one day so far. We are supposed to go into triple digits tomorrow, not looking forward to that.

Debra, you continue to amaze me with your dedication to the plants in spite of your winter nad summer weather challenges - you are a true gardener. I am ready to move to FL too, I bet it will be cooler at Elaine's home this week than it will be here.

Rita, I have gone bonkers for begonias this year too. Forty years ago I had a small GH business and I specialized in ferns and begonias then I sort of got away from them as we moved here and there. All of a sudden they are fascinating me again and I am compiling a nice collection. It will be too hot to ship plants and cuttings for a while but let's get together in the fall and we can compare notes.

Sounds like everything is finally coming together for you Ben. Closing on your new home will be a wonderful wedding present.

Begonia Lois Burks and Musa Velutina this week.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9187296

Yes, despite our blazing sun, it is cooler here. We will have 90 or 91 at most this weekend. When the normal summer pattern gets established, the breeze comes in off the Gulf in the afternoons, and often it clouds over in the hottest afternoon hours. Saved by geography! All summer, the evenings are lovely especially out on the beaches with the breeze. Nights are hot, though.

Deb, my brugs are not doing well this year either. They were badly set back by the spider mite invasion while I was away in May, and are just now showing a few blooms. Charles Grimaldi had two flowers that were half the normal size. Cherub has been struggling all spring and has one flower open now. Even the Monster Whites (I have 3 going, 2 in pots) are still pouting. Still no sign of a bud on Damien although he has the healthiest leaves of them all. I am blaming the solar storm we had last month . . . for lack of a better excuse.

How about a picture of Esther's philo?

1. little flowers on Monster White
2. supposed to be royal purple Achimenes - magenta at best in my book!
3. now this is what I call royal purple - vinca from Lowe's in a color I've never seen before
4. shot of the whole plant of Rita's variegated spiral ginger - I potted it up last month and it needs a bigger pot already.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9187486

Elaine, I bought that new deep purple Vinca, too - it's a hardy perennial in my yard - it's gorgeous!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9187628

I was just gifted 6 med size African Elephant Ears. Met the Mother & she is huge. Luckily I have the perfect place for these and also a smathering of smalled palnts to go under them.
But, that planting will wait till evening after it cools off some.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9187690

Can you say 'HOT' dam! It's so humid outdoors the gnats and skeeters are doing the back stroke!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9188138

Rita I think that hibiscus is Purple Magic. It has really grown this year.

These are from a cutting of DonnaB's Monster White/Pink. It was white yesterday and pink today. It's over 12' tall and each bloom is about a ft. long. That is a Sarian Elephant Ear in front.

Thumbnail by jeri11

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9188214

And an E. Ventricosum 'Maurelii' to the right there jeri? Awesome job with the Brug and Alocasia Sarian.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9188333

I agree! I have monster white from Donna, mine has always been white. Brugs will take off again, Elaine, wait and see. Thanks Alice, I feel for you if you aren't used to the heat. I used to be, but now, I find myself extremely uncomfortable. It may be the 20 pounds the doctor said I gained since this time last year. and that sarian is awsome, mine is still downtairs , but perky and growing. Havn't had a chance to take pictures, but I will in the morning, since i am not working.
I did bring in the brug and the philo Rita sent me, they are happy up off the floor and in front of the south dining room window. lots of light there,all day. it has already perked up. Son comes over tommorrow to eat his free bbq meal here, and then move some big pots and tubs for me.
KayJones, we seem to have inhereted a few florida critters, a small bright green frog that makes noise and a small bright green lizard. they stay out front with the things I came home with. I was telling my sister I bet we bring home critters without meaning too.. LOL
I am happy , but worried they will perish in winter. Hopefully their homes are in those pots, and when they come in so will the critters?
I made a lasagna bed out by the back fence north side, and Joe noticed right off I stole another 6 inches of lawn. I soaked heavy newspapers and laid them down, then compost, and then soil, and then the bricks. I will plant impatiens that are waiting out front to that back area under the shade.
( hopefully in the am while it is still cool) 103 today, no rain yet.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9188450

Great Idea Deb!

103 with a 105 index. Never seen this kind of heat, for so long, anywhere I have ever lived. No rain since the last flood! Just wanted to vent... knew you guys could appreciate the situation with all my "water hogging" plants. It's ok if you want me to "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR"!

Everyone have a nice 5th on the 4th.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 4:06 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9188906

That is right Homer!! I have the hummingbird bush there too but you can't even see them b/c everything else has grown up so much around them. Here is a shot of the same brugs above a couple of days before.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9189012

These are some more EE

Thumbnail by jeri11

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9189315

nice bed of EE's Jeri.
it was too hot to do anything except sleep today. ugh.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9189332

That is a gorgeous bed of EE's, Jeri.

Couple of big pink blooms on Stardancer x pod2. Also my pinecone gingers have really come on strong this year. Usually I have 2 or 3 cones, this year there are 7 huge ones.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9189368

Thanks Deb & Elaine!

Elaine, do you know if the pinecone ginger is the same as siam tulip ginger? I received some of the siam tulip ginger last year and it looks very similar to the pc ginger.

This is Snow Queen Hibiscus in front of a split leaf philodendra that is close to 10' tall.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9189374

This is my watermelon crepe myrtle with caladiums Aaron or Grey Ghost.

Thumbnail by jeri11

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9189528

Do the Pinecones come up out of the ground in lieu of the top of the flower Elaine?

Great pictures jeri, reminds me of growing up in Mobile!

Me to Deb. I would run outside about every hour and mist everything under the trees. I would have a sweat going coming inside 10 minutes later.

Reprieve yesterday evening and early this morning as we got a 1/2'' and it is cloudy right now. we will pay for it later when the sun comes out and steam baths us.

Thumbnail by homer1958

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9189546

The tulip gingers are curcumas and the pine cones (AKA shampoo gingers) are zingiber zerumbets.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9189692

Thanks Alice I will look all of that up. I've heard of the shampoo gingers. I got a grape ginger at the New Orleans Botanical Plant sale in the spring but no flowers so far.

Homer your plants look so healthy! I love the split leaf. Is it a philo or EE? I have an aunt & uncle that live in Mobile and it is truly one beautiful city. They live on Gill Rd. off Dalphne Island Pkway. He raises and grafts camellias. The ones with the hugh flowers.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9189714

You got it, Alice. Jeri, your Siam tulip gingers will have bigger flowers, usually pink, mauve or white, than the pinecones which only get those little ivory flowers. The Siams do look a bit like tulips when they're in bloom, too.

Drew, yes they put up separate stems for the flowers, about 18in. tall. Leaf stems are 4 or 5ft tall. After the flowers are done, the pinecone turns bright red, and lasts for a couple of months. They are juicy, and the common name "Shampoo Ginger" comes from the juice you can squeeze from the cones that is gingery smelling. I put it on my legs to keep the skeeters away. Works for an hour or so at best, but I'm never outside that long when it's so muggy anyway.

I'll have a whole summer's worth of 'shampoo' from my 7 big fat cones this year - Thank you, TS Debby! Funny, we think we're watering enough, then a deluge happens and all these fabulous extras pop up because of the wealth of water!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9190740

Gorgeous gardens, everyone. I have been working on cleaning the basement garden areas, getting ready.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9190861

Elaine, you may be on to something with your theory about excess water and blooming. My pinecones are growing much slower than they would normally do and we have not had any rain to speak of. I do remember them being much larger and blooming earlier in wetter years.

Some pics from previous years. The mass planting of curcumas was at Longwood gardens.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9190893

jeri, It is actually a Monstera.

96 yesterday and it felt wonderful.

I think we all have some very nice gardens this year also!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9190971

Alice beautiful collection! I have always said that God in an instant does more for my garden with good clean rain than I do in a month of Sunday's with a watering hose and sprinklers. Things just pop after a good rain.

Thanks Homer for that info. I always thought they were Philos.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9191087

Or even a "bad" rain, like we had from TS Debby.

There's sometimes nitrogen in the rain, that's released from the air by lightning according to one of our guest lecturers. So rain can actually fertilize your plants, if it comes from a thunderstorm with lightning. And all the weeds as well, of course.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9191146

However do you tell the difference between a philo & monstera, Homer?

That is interesting Elaine about the rain but makes perfect sense. I know what the acid rains we some time get can do to the pool. I wish we could hardest that survival & growth hormones from weeds. Can you imagine vegetables on them.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9191424

jeri, check this site out and it will answer any questions you probably have.

http://www.aroid.org.
prita
Red Oak, TX

July 3, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9191801

Hello Everyone!! As usual, I am late to the party again. I totally agree that there are some top notch gardeners on this thread.
I wish that I could be counted along with all those lucky people that received measurable rain. It sure would lift my gardening spirit.

dyzzy, I am too embarassed to show my variegated costus, you have done wonders with that little cutting. I have not seen it bloom. A friend once told me to give my Heliconia lots of water if I wanted it to bloom . Congrats. on your first flower!

The hibiscus and ginger are the plants from you.

Joeswife, nice pictures! Take good care of that yellow honeysuckle, I have looked everywhere for a replacement for mine that died from the drouth last year without any luck. Your arbor on the south fence looks nice. What are you planning to plant on it?
Remember that little stick you sent me a few years back, it has taken over.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 7:58 PM

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 3, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9191803

ardesia, I have to admit that I do not know the names of the Begonias I have but would love to trade with you in the fall.
Great pictures you posted, can you please save me a few seeds from your Musa Velutina?

Quilter, We would love to see your finished flower bed. I too, work in the early mornings and late evenings to avoid the heat.

Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita   Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 3, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9191805

homer, that is a million Dollar shot!! The variegated Philo. Giganteum is Awesome, mine suffered terribly last year and is just now making a comeback with leaves the size of a teaspoon. I purchased two other plants from e-bay but were mush on arrival. Neadless to say, that one stole my heart.

Jeri11, Great pictures!! I love them all you seem to be having a great start to the growing season, I find myself peeking in the background to see more. Thanks!

Philo. Rising Sun
Heliconia starting to bloom
Sunshine tree

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9191956

Amazing pictures, everyone!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

July 3, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9192020

Rita,
Love the sunshine tree...do you know the botanical name?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9192217

Thanks Homer for that link. I don't know why I didn't think to look there. I have been a member for 6 years and love Aroideana.

Rita, you know it's only 400 miles to Baton Rouge and the eats are really good around here if you ever want to come take a walk through the gardens in person!

Here are a few shots of hibiscus blooming today. Cajun Lady

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9192222

I have 3 plants of the Cajun Lady that for some strange reason have reverted back to this

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9192227

This one is not opening up completely.

Thumbnail by jeri11

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9192241

great pictures everyone...

well we are without A/C again for the second time in less than a week and the guy who came out tonight said it most likely will be a week before anyone will be back out as (of course) it is a part they don't carry and with tomorrow's holiday, no one is doing anything, and they should be allowed to enjoy the holiday as well, but it sure worries me as DH with his heart condition. So we are going to go and try and find a window A/C tomorrow as a hotel with two large dogs isn't my DH's idea of fun...LOL

Stay cool everyone and Happy 4th of July to ya.

Jan

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9192263

Beautiful show of colors Rita. I too love the sunshine plant. but then , I am a sucker for wierdness in plants. That Cestrum has really grown! Shheese! What the heck do you feed it? LOL ( I use buffalo chips in a huge tub of rain water with mosquitoe tablets and compost.) Don't know why I had to share that, but it is good and natural. And I use the fish tub water and filter rinse water in everything.
Is the blue flower a blue pea flower? kinda like a sweet pea? I have rooted some the the john clayton already, let me know when you want some.
( the yellow honeysuckle) Now, Blanch Sandman is blooming ...
I have started cutting down the fading prennial MOnardas, does anyone want to try chilling some seeds and planting in spring? That is what you have to do, or some root balls in peat to store in fridge, let me know..
Happy Fourth of July, the last of these blooming now..
the last two pics are from the front tropical area, they are special to me..

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9192271

Jan, try to pretend you are on Vacation in Hawaii while you are at that motel.hotel. I know I would. I hope your A/C gets fixed asap, tho.

Forgot to show
Blanche Sandman Lonicera
Wild Bergamont
Blooming English Ivy
New Leaf on Banana from A lovely Dg'r
New re-designed front Triangle

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9192278

Jeri, beautiful Tropcal Hibiscus, I have no clue why they don't perform right sometimes, I notice that in the hardys, sometimes, too.
Kopper King on Last bloom flush
Pink ChiChi
Tropical Corner NorthWest side
Tropical Corner NorthEast side
Can't remember the name if this Beauty from a Lovely DG'r. It is blooming, tho and is right off the south end of this front porch.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9192282

Rita, I forgot to ask for for some seeds of the two bell shaped blooming vines you posted. I especial lke the pretty red ones.

Alice, I love your begonias.
Gee Drew, I don't think I like my plants outside, it is too hot to take care of them, so I am ready for a few plants to come in now..
But not any of these. ( first pic)
This is the East facing middle part of my front Garden. Most of it is either annual orr tropical, so the miriblis that are small now, will be great next year for hiding large pots.
This room is already for a few more plants..
peace lilly from a DG swap.. is very happy with the fish.. Soon I will either have a pond form or build around a childs pool..
Last Pic is front south fence line, and under the mimosa and hacked away sweet autumn clematice and native honeysuckle, is the rubber tree?, lilly of the valleys, gingers, Cape Honey suckle, and red firespike.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9192291

One more pic and I will quit, promise..
this is my "Happy Fourth of July Eve" I played with my photo editor hope you like it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9192381

Happy 4th, EVERYONE! Stay safe and stay cool! Deb, your last 'I can't remember the name' plant is Jatropha gossypifolia - mine is setting a seed pod.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9192392

hate that Jan,,, grew up for 10 yrs. in Mobile without A.C..

Siams doing well Rita. I need to relocate mine ... not enough sun.

Maybe it's the heat jeri.

Kay, won't you show us some pictures please!

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9192440

Sorry, Drew, but I'm lazy - and busy! Maybe I'll get out and shoot some pics today - we'll see how the day unfolds.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012

Post #9192572

Be careful witht that Jatropha gossypifolia, the plant is so beautiful but they are also agressive as all get out. Once you have one you'll find them everywhere in the neighborhood. That won't be a problem in Kansas however.

Happy Fourth of July everyone!!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012

Post #9192573

Cool mix of tropical and temperate plants there, Drew. Nice rooftop shot, too.

I agree, KayJones! Not enough pictures from you, we want to see all your beauties!

I go out and take a whole bunch all at once, then divvy them over my posts for the next week or two. Hate to post without a picture.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 10:43 AM

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9192581

You must have a very fast connection Elaine. When I post photos it takes almost five minutes to completely go through and it does not always happen so I have to try again - if I have the patience. We do things slowly out here here in the boonies. LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9192589

btw, forgot to say Deb, that dark blue flower Rita posted is what we call Blue Butterfly Pea because (of course) it is very attractive to butterflies. It's a lovely delicate climbing vine, and you can start it from seed. I had a big one at the other house, but haven't yet found the right spot to plant it here. Love it, though. Isn't that a stunning color?

Alice, yes we have Fios and it is very fast. My DH is an engineer and must have the newest, fastest, most technical . . . you get the drift.

Happy 4th, everybody! We are suffering the local teenagers setting off firecrackers all week around here, the poor cat has hardly come out from under the bed since Sunday. I love the big professional fireworks, but wish so ardently they would ban the noise makers.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 10:53 AM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9192641

Sadly, I just tried to upload pics I took this morning (just for you, Drew), but when I hit 'send' it sends me to the list of forums - will try another day.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9192655

Elaine, one of our sons is an IT director so he keeps us as up to par as possible. We use DSL but we just have bad phone lines, even worse cable and spotty satellite connections - when available. I have joined the new world myself though, I got a new Razr Maxx last week. :-)

Rita, I have never thought about growing M velutinas from seed, have you tried that before? I should have many, many seeds shortly. I checked the plant this morning and there are some babies coming up but they are still too small to divide. I learned bananas should have a little size on them, not too much, but these are still pencil thin.

Kay Jones, that happens to me a lot.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2012 10:40 AM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9192751

Take about 50 myself Elaine and divvy also.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9192774

Kay that is why I upload only 1 at a time. I'm waiting for my son or daughter to run by and fine out how to re-size my photo's to a smaller size and then maybe I'll be able to upload 5. I have a mac and I can't find in iPhoto a way to do it.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9192856

Alice, try posting from your new phone? I'll bet it will be faster than your DSL. If you have good cell phone reception, it will bypass all the phone line and cable woes for you. (This advice coming from a person who has just barely mastered sending e-mail from her Android phone, which she has had for a year . . .)

That being said, I take almost all my garden pictures with my phone. I joke to DH that it is a great camera that also gets phone calls.

Update on a couple of my orchids, blooming their little hearts out.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9192934

Elaine, all I can say is 'WOW'!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9192954

I am saying WOW also but because of her phone talents (the orchids are nice too, LOL)

How do you post directly from an android? Inquiring minds want to know???? I have taken pics with the phone but it does not have the one feature that I cannot do without on my camera - image stabilization. Old ladies shake and my camera takes that into consideration, whomever designed the camera for my phone never figured that someone as ancient as me would want to use it.

BTW, I can send and receive emails, listen to my music, text with the grand kids, search the web, check traffic and the weather, the map feature is way faster than the gps in the car, etc., etc., I love this phone. But, sadly I have not mastered photos. :-(
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9192977

Elaine,that yellow one is smoking!

You guys are way over my head ... I have to get DW to help me with any "Technical" issues.

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9192992

Ah Ha! So that's why some of my pictures are blurry? Guess my hands shake too, huh? Anyway, if you can get online with your phone (which is what you do when you check traffic and weather) you can very likely sign onto DG as well.

But to post pictures to DG, I think you'd have to take the pictures with the phone. I know how to get pics from phone to computer, but don't know how you'd get them from camera to phone.

Here's a cool little tripod gadget I've had my eye on, that has infinitely adjustable legs and an adapter to hold cell phones. http://www.target.com/p/pc-treasures-treefrog-mini-tripod-with-adapter-green-19613/-/A-13393308?reco=Rec|pdp|13393308|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9193007

Just discovered that my Brazilian Plume from Rita has bloomed - plumed? - while I wasn't looking!

This is another that was just a cutting last fall - Yay! Now, it needs a bigger pot, ain't it always the way.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9193112

oh Elaine, that is beautiful especially with the euphorbia in the back ground. I have a old motorola that takes pics, but I don't use any internet or transferring on it.I takes about ten tries for me to get one good shot of the same subject. drives me bonkers
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9193128

Woohoo, I think I have figured it out. Thanks Elaine, I can't wait to tell the kids, they think i am hopeless.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9193199

Fantastic - now the price of admission to this geek club is . . . we're expecting to see lots more pictures from you, Alice!

What is that, one of the swamp hibiscus? It is just gorgeous!

I'm not getting that pretty blue-ish cast to the leaves on B. Don Miller like yours, but it keeps popping out these cute little pink flowers. I'm overdue to fertilize, maybe that will boost the blue color.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9193234

My Don Miller has not bloomed. Should I feed it more?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9193241

Here is my favorite 'flower' with a baby Florida Brown Anole:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9193242

Here's another pic. of the Anole - these things hatch out by the hundreds in my yard, dropping from tree limbs, jumping off flowers - they are EVERYWHERE:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9193245

I have fruit on my Buddha's hand citrus:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9193247

I really like Calatheas:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9193260

Mini Plumeria 'Divine'

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9193261

Hibiscus 'South Pacific Sipper'

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9193264

Manettia vine

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9193265

Blood Orange fruit

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9193267

Dancing ladies Ginger

Thumbnail by KayJones

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9193357

Thanks and great job Kay!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9193382

What a lovely show, KayJones. I especially like the Calatheas, too. The little stripey one to the right is great!

It's a wonderful thing that you have the native anoles in your yard - means you have a very healthy environment for them there! Way to go.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9193560

Thanks, Elaine, for your kind words. I don't have anything unusual, like the plants you all have, but I enjoy what I do have.

Here's my version of a bog garden:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9193562

This is my big Brug, planted in the ground and getting ready to perfume my yard:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9193565

This Clerodendrum splendens is so pretty:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9193566

This Thunbergia erecta blooms all summer until frost:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9193576

This Stictocardia vine is HUGE:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9193580

This sandpaper vine is so pretty, too:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9193582

I have the Manettia vine in several spots in my yard - it adds a splash of color when little else is blooming:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9193595

I just love the orange color of this Ginger:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9193597

My pond has become crowded as I stuff it with plants to keep them wet:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9193598

You can't beat the beautiful red of the Dipladenia:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9193604

Here is Thunbergia fragrans - it has very little fragrance!

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9193605

The tree Lilies are blooming:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9193606

One of my DG dear Friends send me this variegated Brug. - THANK YOU!

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9193608

Crested red Celosia is one of my favorite annual plants and the Queen's Tears Bromiliad has such a beautiful bloom head:

Thumbnail by KayJones   Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9193610

Isn't the Queen's Tears Bromiliad bloom just beautiful!

Thumbnail by KayJones

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9193633

lovely display , your Gardens are awsome. Love the bog garden!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9193711

Wow great blooms everyone ! I'm still in catch up mode, and we are catching up on the rain too, Thank Goodness...
Gonna have to give everything a good shot of fertilizer soon tho as everything's had a good flush...
I'm procrastinating going back outside...got a little overstressed from the heat yesterday but I've got things to get done.

A few pics to pay the admission price

Varig.Monstera deliciosa - I love love love this plant...Thank You Rita !!!!!

Hoya and a Dahlia that gets 6 feet tall...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9193755

The Siam Tulips are on their way to going dormant:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9193759

This Florida sunset plant brings me great pleasure every summer:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9193767

These blooms on the Hoya carnosa last for months:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9193774

The purple is electric on the giant-leafed Tibouchina:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9193804

The Gloriosa lilys are about finished for now:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9193808

This pink crown of thorns is just gorgeous:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9193809

Isn't this Hibiscus lovely?

Thumbnail by KayJones

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9193812

Kay love the blooms!! My siam tulips are just starting to bloom.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9193822

I'm not sure if I should trim this cane Begonia, but it's sure getting gangly:

Thumbnail by KayJones

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9193835

This lone little Heliconia has 2 bloom spikes - so cute; this Hydrangea has been blooming since spring:

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9193842

This Rangoon creeper vine has been blooming non-stop for months; the pink Jacobina is blooming again:

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9194257

Beautiful, beautiful flowers Kay. My Siam tulips have not started blooming yet, are yours in the ground?

This agapanthus inapertus has not bloomed in many years. For a while the deer kept getting the buds then it got root borers and I left it just for the foliage. I was so surprized to see buds this year. It is much lighter in color than it used to be but I am happy it is blooming again.

Ti, Philodendron Xanadu Gold, variegated fatsia and a late blooming clivia.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 3:51 PM

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9194327

Alice mine are in pots - my neighbor has hers in the ground and they come back just fine, but I don't want to risk it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9194799

beautiful! oh how I love to come here at night and get my nightly flower fix of things I have never heard of.
This is collge girl erm.. working girl, with our new bug eater, Elmer. Elmer was rescued crossing a busy hiway out of winfield on the way home from vacation, on that little stretch of hiway were five other squashed turtles. I couldn't let this one end up as road kill. Collge girl has found out elmer is a girl, and is about ten years old. she gets let out in the back yard and spends her days roaming the flower beds eating things. she is an excellant slug and snail catcher/ and loves rolypoly bugs. She is very very tame and I swear when Joanna calls to her she shows up.
the first morning glory is called "rebecca"
the second is shibouri
the last picture is milk weed I grew from a seed this year, the pod came from a plant in the country. I am hoping it will be able to travel to florida this fall.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9194805

this is vitex, a nice native that I hope will get huge..
things that are downstairs are all full of new leaves.. I love that.

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9194912

Just love that turtle your pretty girl is holding. Love that milkweed too, what a bright color it is. Vitex do get huge around here, they are one of my favorite shrubs, I have a pink one but it is not as showy as the lavender. That is a neat little old lady you have guarding your inside plants, no aphids would dare go near her, she would stab them with her needle. :-)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9194955

Good morning, everyone! Wow, college girl sure looks like her Mama! As always, your flowers are all SO PRETTY!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9194960

Thanks for rescuing the turtle Deb. We had a box turtle that came around and ate the grape tomatoes I grow in the mornings for about 5 years. Sadly, I have not seen it this year.

You guys amaze me with your flowering abilities.

Thumbnail by homer1958

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9194977

Thanks! I found a garter snake in thebasement garden, he went back out where he started from. sheese! They knw it is cool down there.. another day of 103 and then after saturday, we start a cool down they say to the 90's. I just want rain.

Elmer is fun to watch eating our grape tomatoes.

Drew, your aroid abilities blow me away. mine look like miniatures compared to yours.
off to work for half a day. yay!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9195109

Deb, will you keep Elmer in the basement over the winter? She's great, and so is college girl. Beautiful MG's, too.

Drew, that's a beautiful specimen there. I (to be honest) still can't get used to the idea of purposely growing a brown plant, though. My big colocasia seems to be popping up a new leaf about every 4 days! Amazing. As I keep saying - "I'm gonna need a bigger garden".

My fave NoID orchid has a new spike opening. I like the color variation, they have rosy buds, open with pink petals and an almost-white lip, then suffuse gradually to the yellow-orange.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9195405

Elaine, That's why it's called C. 'Kona Coffee'.

Behind the scenes.

Thumbnail by homer1958

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9195452

Drew, do you think Kona Coffee could stand having it's feet wet? I am thinking of putting mine on a ledge in the pond, just so the bottom few inches are in the water. It just does not get enough water where it is now and, compared to yours, it is pitiful.

Elaine, your noid is almost (but not quite) enough to me make me get interested in orchids. I just can't handle another obsession. LOL Such a lovely flower.

Bougainvillea arborea and my little gold mac, I thought it was gone but some littles ones popped up.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9195469

Go ahead Alice! I would think they would be ok. If it kills them I will send you some.
prita
Red Oak, TX

July 6, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9195473

Hello Everyone!!
GAgirl1066, Erythrina inca var. picta "Sunshine tree" from Zone 9 in Houston, a replacement for an almost 5' tree from Rj. It just didn't survive the transplant, (we will keep this a secret).
http://www.zone9tropicals.com/erythrina-indica-var.-picta-sunshine-tree-p-363.html

Jeri11, thanks very much for the invite, dh's new fishing spot is Lake Ponchitrain. I might just go with him on his next trip. One can't help but love that Cajun lady hbiscus.

Joeswife, save me a John Clayton please, I will try to get those plants you wanted, going for a fall trade.
Your college girl is a beauty!! The neighbourhood kids thinks that my pond is their private turtle and frog sanctuary

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 6, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9195474

dyzzy, Yea, for your Brazilian plume and my goodness, what a nice big Zingber "Silver Streak" you have going on there.
Your Orchid is gorgeous, mine from Rj are still alive, just not thriving. I have repotted and moved them to a shady spot.

ardesia, I have grown the Musa Velutinas from seeds before, I just checked Zone 9 and they have quite a few specimens in stock. I will try to get the Musa siamensis and hopefully trade seeds next year.
That is a magazine quality picture of your Texas star hibiscus, great shot for the first time use of your phone. I only use my phone to lurk on Daves on road trips when its my dh turn to drive.
I am jealous of your Xanadu Gold, Tropicflora offered them on their VIP special but as usual I was too late to get one.

mjsponies, We are happy to have you back. The monstera seems to be showing much more variegation than the mother plant. You know that I love that Hoya.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 1:35 PM

prita
Red Oak, TX

July 6, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9195475

Kay Jones, What a treat! I totally enjoyed the strole through your garden. I am glad that you showed your giant leaf Tibouchina. Here's hoping that I can keep mine alive to bloom like yours.

homer1958, Great looking Alocasias! How about a closer shot of your roof-top picture.
Here are a few of mine that are making a comeback.

Is anyone interested in starting a new thread?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9195578

Beautiful flowers and plants, Rita, and KayJones! You both have such wonderful collections.

Drew, on the brown leaves thing, I know the breeders work to achieve that color, just like they go for variegation, or red leaves etc.

It's my mind set, I guess. Brown leaves = dead plant to me. As a lovely - obviously healthy - specimen like yours, indoors as a feature, or in a collection just for curiosity they are wonderful. In my landscape it would hit me - clang! - in the eye every time I saw it. Partly my point of view, as well. I don't have indoor plants and everything has to integrate into the landscape here. Even my orchids are gradually being assimilated. (Resistance is futile.)

P. Gloriosums are both doing equally well. I'm going to dispense with the pot and let them ramble through the jungle now.

Alice's Begonia Odorata Alba is the success story of my garden this year, I think. Try as I might I can't get a good picture of it, but it is at least 3ft. tall and wide.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9195582

OK I will post one that is more of a closeup!

In the eyes of the beholder (you) Elaine.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 4:00 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9195850

Hello everyone!! How is it in the tropics in your areas? We had extreme heat today and then the rain came along. Now there is steam coming off the highway. It is truly fun trying to breath outside. I have really drooled over everyones pictures. I took some pictures this morning before the heat became unbearable.

This is a pitcher plant that I got out at LSU plant sale.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9195854

This is my cocoa plant.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9195858

Mojito EE

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9195861

This is a philo but can't remember which one.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9195863

I've never seen this one before. It's a heart fern.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9195866

This is a perennial morning glory that is gonna eat my house.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9195870

Variegated tapioca

Thumbnail by jeri11

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9195908

Nice, Jeri!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9195909

Excellent job jeri, I especially like the Tapioca and the banana. Is that Tawnee? (spelling)
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9195914

Looks like we are in stereo Kay!

My first Brug; compliments of Deb.

Thumbnail by homer1958

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9195918

I like that banana too. It's a tissue culture of AE AE I think it came from Tailand. I've killed 2 true AE AE's in the past. This one is much hardier. I love variegation. I got it from ClaireCa.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9195932

Thanks Kay & Drew. What is a tawnee? I've never heard of that either. I learn something new every time I visit here.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9195942

Musa tawnee Is probably what you have there jeri. They don't have the technology to T.C. AeAe from what I have read. Something about the genes being different on every plant...???
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9195948

Please join us on this new thread. #122

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269701/

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9196354

Yea I'm safe!! It isn't listing Mac users.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America