Gardening Shows on TV

Plantersville, TX(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know of any gardening shows on TV? I'm tired of all the cooking shows.

Greenfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Not much anymore. HGTV used to be great. Tuesday nights was garden night with Gardening By The Yard and Rebeccas Garden . Saturday afternoons had Gardeners Diary, Gardeners Journal and a show with Jeff Cox (I forget the shows name) We probably only watch 4 or 5 shows a year now.
Old "Gardening by the Yard" shows are on Tuesday mornings at 6:30. I have been recording them.
Curb Appeal is still around along with Yard Crashers but I never got into them as much since their gardening taste seems too coastal.
Victory Garden on PBS became lame when Roger Swain retired. The show seemed to become more focused on city "fancy" type audiences and not your country folks.
What it boils down to is ratings. Apparently garden shows don't sell enough.
We do miss Paul James.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 2:38 PM

Lombard, IL(Zone 5a)

P. Allen Smith on The Garden Home, I think it's called, on public television.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

P. Allen Smith takes a cursory stroll through estate gardens, then heads inside to cook in the air conditioning. I have found very little outdoor, real "hands in the dirt" gardening going on there..

I miss Paul James, too...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I miss Paul, too. HGTV should be changed to HTV!

We have a local show called Almanac Gardener which isn't too bad.

http://www.unctv.org/gardener/

Greenfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Honeybee,
the Almanac Gardener seems sweet. Wish it was on nationally.
in the past, I've e-mailed my complaint to HGTV about the lack of garden shows. They always reply with a schedule of shows that are usually on too early in the morning followed with statement about sponsers. Or put another way, "sorry about your luck."
Maybe if they showed more garden shows in the winter when gardeners are stuck inside dreaming, they're ratings would improve.
Along time ago they had shows on Saturday afternoon when most gardeners were outside. Real genius', those TV schedulers.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

yardener - Yea, they don't get the idea that gardeners want to watch gardening shows when they are NOT outside in the garden. Like this afternoon when it's in the mid 90's!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's a link to a show that I enjoy:

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.