Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Fragrant Gardening: Jasmine, Maid of Orleans

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 28, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 22, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9176025

Has anyone had luck starting new ones? Can I root it in water or do I need to propagate from cuttings?
Thanks!
Susan

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9179279

Susan!!!!!! How are you!?!?!? I've been so excited to see folks here lately!! JB's a good one to ask this...hopefully she'll poke in and say hi. Do you have a mama plant you're trying to get some babies from?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9179670

Susan, just stick it in a pot of good potting soil, which is thoroughly moistened. I give my cuttings a fresh cut, dip in water and then in a rooting hormone, stick them in a pot and set the pot in a bowl of water. They are easy to root. Is Moses doing well? How about you and Danny?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9180307

Hello Susan, Chantell ask me to drop in and see if I can help you. I usually take my cuttings in the summer, but I do not think their is a special time for Maid of Orleans cuttings. June is the best time to re-pot and cut for me. They need re-potting every year usually. They grow like weeds if they are happy.

Unlike most people, I give my cuttings a week or two in water prior to planting them. Sometimes even longer, depending on how busy I am. When I first started growing the Maid, I went to the website of Top Tropicals and looked up their article on Jasmine. I found it very helpful, especially about the different light, water, etc. My fresh cuttings when I do put them in soil, I use regular potting soil, which is not the best. The less soil you have in the mix the better for this little lady. I keep them really wet until they take off.

You can over water the larger plants, so be careful with the water after they have begun to look like plants. If the leaves turn yellow, it is too much water or too much fertilizer. I do not fertilize them until they have roots. The maid likes being on the dry side once she has become a plant. There is so much to tell, but I do think the article from Top Tropicals covers it all and is well written. I am usually around, so if you have any problems, just yell. Good luck JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 25, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9180780

Wow, thanks so much!! This was given to me by a very dear lady who just recently passed away. She was my "adopted" Grandma, so I *really want these babies to make it! Thanks for all the great responses.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9181614

You are so welcome. Stay safe from the storm if you are in the path of all that rain. Have a great day and give us a yell if you need more help. JB
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 26, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9181756

I can sure send you some rain ... LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9181826

I heard this morning that south GA was going to get hit hard. Hope you are not in that section. We have had such unpredictable weather this past winter and now. It is scary. I am going to be 84 and I can not remember ever having a Spring like this. We had summer weather before June. It is cloudy and very windy here today but no rain. We had storms for the past two days, electric outage and all. LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9182020

Jacquie, BE CAREFUL! The two most important things to be aware of during these tropical storms (according to the weather channel) is to NOT drive through water AND not to go out in the yard when the wind is whipping the trees around.

As Ron White said in one of his jokes: it's not THAT the wind is blowin', it's WHAT the wind is blowin'! LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9182095

You are right about not driving through water and the trees. Years ago when I lived in PA, we lived near a stream and flash flooding was a regular occurrence. People would always be driving through and getting stuck and then, when it was really bad, the cars would float away. Dumb people. You would think they would learn.

We have some very old trees here on the farm and although we have them trimmed regularly, they still loose some branches during storms. This year has been ok so far, we have not lost any limbs. I do not walk the dog under them when the wind is at its peak. We get alot of ocean breeze which is not always just a nice breeze. Today the wind is coming out of the Northwest about 35 to 40 mph and everything in pots outside that is dry is blowing over. i just gave up and will wait to pick things up until the wind dies down when the sun goes down. LOL.

We grow Christmas trees and the baby trees are sure blowin in the wind. They are so tiny you would think they might just blow out of the ground. poor babies. I cut glads and bunched them this morning for the road stand and I put up the umbrella and up it went, so I immediately took it down and prayed the bunches would not blow away.
They have not so far and I sold all but one bunch today so this was a good day. They were just beginning to open when the other day we had a hail storm with hail as big as marbles. Fortunately they did not get too much damage but they were only in buds then. Now they are really coming open and I hope no more of that happens.
This wind is raising cane with them today too. You just can not win when it comes to the weather.

Off to balance the check book. UGH. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9182407

Oh, my! Those glads are just beautiful!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 26, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9182792

Kay, you gave me a good laugh ... ☺

JB, hope your weather cooperates and you don't lose any of your gorgeous plants. It's finally stopped raining ... Well, there's only a 40% chance for tonight, and then clearing tomorrow! Yea!!

Chantell ... it's wonderful to see you.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9182809

I wish I could have been there to see you laugh! You are so pretty, and your smile lights up the world, so I KNOW your laugh is infectious!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 26, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9182841

That's mighty sweet of you ... LOL
Thank you ...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9186297

Kay is right, JB, those Glads are beau-ti-ful!!!! Susan - ya faring ok with all that rain? We could use a sprinkle or two...course if I finished getting those last couple of plants IN the ground it might help them, eh? LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9205043

Just had to share these with you today. The Jasmin Sambac 'Maid of Orleans' babies just starting to bloom.
They are selling lot hotcakes and this is all I have left. I just love how they bloom as tiny babies and never seem to stop as they mature.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 14, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9205481

JB, thanks to all your wonderful info, I had great success starting a couple of babies. Thank you so very much. As I stated in my post above, this plant has a very strong sentimental value for me, and that's why I wanted babies from it. I'm very pleased and hope they continue to thrive.
~Susan

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9205505

I LOVE happy endings!! MOO's are such easy babies to care for. Mine typically look like they're at death's door just in time to throw them out on the deck each May. Now? They're covered with buds...yipeee!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9205793

I had my first MOO plant about 7 years ago and thought it died every year but did not have the heart to throw it out. I finally last year had to get rid of it because it was so big I could no longer keep it in a container, so I cut it up and gave my neighbor who has a Farmers Market and sells plants tropicals and other flowers a few hundred cuttings, I also gave them a few of the two year old plants last year...we trade stuff and sometimes they sell my things for me if I have too many, anyhow, the have those cuttings, so that one plant really has been a producer. I have sold MOO babies for years from just one plant. Can you imagine? I paid $11.95 for that plant. LOL

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9206495

JB - I've had my Lakeview Orange Jasmine http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55288/ since 2008 - it's the one I've told you about. She is one of my top 3 jasmine for both ease and scent. The other two are my MOO and NBJ. I need to pot her up and prune one little branch before in self prunes by snapping off. I want to cut it in a right area AND would really like to root the cutting I take to have a 2nd of this jasmine. I have never successfully rooted anything other than, I believe, a Hoya. Suggestions?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9207010

If you are going to root it in water, put a small amount of Peroxide in the water each time you change it to keep the bacteria down. Jasmine ususally starts well in water...If you put it in soil to start it put some cinnamon in with your root starter to keep the bacteria down. This kind of weather is difficult to know what will start and what will not. I have had to change my procedures on several of my cuttings this year because they were not working in the water. I am not sure if it is because of the water softner or not. That could be. Let me know how you make out. I just took some cuttings of the Gardenia Taitensis this morning. I stuck them in water but I think I am going to put them right in soil today depending on the heat. Also, I have a yellow gardenia that I bought at Logees and I thought it was going to die but it is coming back. I am so glad. My Kleims Hardy oldest stock died this summer. I only have one of those left now and it does not look too well. I am rambling again. Sorry. JB

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9208013

You are never rambling, JB - I like to hear your stories. I have some cuttings of something you might be interested in - send me a dmail if you're interested and thanks for the advice

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9210286

Just dropped in to show you the babies now. They are in the 110 deg. heat in the greenhouse and hopefully they will survive. It has never been this hot in my greenhouse. Fan is on , doors are open and in the last few hours the temp. just keeps going up. I just gave them another quick spray, it is too hot to stay in there very long.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9210768

Nothing quite like the scent of a sambac is there? Sweet babies!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9211396

You got that right. I walk into that hot greenhouse and the aroma is so soothing. Ummmmmm
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9335804

I've had the maid of Orleans in the ground for a while now, it was surrounded by bromeliads that have taken over. So I decided to dig up the bromeliads to thin them and the jasmine had runners growing 4 ft away with roots all along it. I would try placing some lower branches along the ground with maybe a weight or rock on it with root tone. I am sure it would grow roots there. The lake view jasmine I have is a 7 ft tree that I have never had cuttings grow, but they grow from the seeds I always have babies growing in the ground.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9336104

I have had a long life of planting and gardening and my decision is, I LOVE MY JASMINE MOS OF ALL.

Some of the jasmine I have purchased for really too much money...have died. The others, The Royal or Star (they both look identical and I can not tell them apart) and the Maid of Orleans are without a doubt the easiest plants to grow there is. They are so indistructable and just so fragrant. i can not imagine being lucky enough to have them growing in the gardens. Wow...that has to be heaven. But growing them from seed is just not something I can even imagine me doing. I can not grow seeds :)
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 18, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9336170

My neighbor has a 5 ft high by 40ft or more hedge of lake view. They abandoned the property now there is a jasmine vine (star jasmine?) covering it. I will have to take a picture. The smell is incredible you can smell it through the neighborhood especially on humid nights.

I love jasmines but they can sometimes be overwhelmingly strong. I would have to say brunfelsias are my favorites!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9336560

OOOoooooo brunfelsias!!!! If ONLY I could keep those alive up here...I've tried various times to no avail. - THAT scent IS incredible!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America