Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Triple Daylily- triploid or mutation?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9176691

When we moved into our house there were several daylilies, Hemerocallis sp., already on the property. They were planted in a bed that didn't get much sun and were straggly and not blooming. I have since moved many clumps around the yard to more suitable locations, and the first several that bloomed were just your average wild form tawny lily. This year, two that have bloomed so far have been different. One has large-petaled yellow-orange double flowers, and then there is this one... So far this is the first and only bloom, but there are a few additional buds so there should be more coming soon.

This bloom appears to be at least a triple! It's very beautiful, and different but similar in color to the tawny lilies. From my preliminary research it might be Hemerocallis "Flora Pleno" or "Kwanso."
Flora Pleno:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/282167/
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/photo/69331/

Kwanso:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/8838/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orange_Daylily.jpg

Coloration appears right for either, and then there is the obvious three sets of petals. It seems most similar to Flora Pleno to me... My only holdout is that my flower appears to have a small 4th layer of petals on the inside and the anthers do not appear to be very well developed... I don't have much knowledge on daylilies and don't want to add it to PlantFiles images if it isn't correct. Could it be a mutation of this one flower, or is it likely a triploid cultivar?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

This message was edited Jun 22, 2012 9:49 PM
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9176696

Pictures didn't load? Second attempt...

Thumbnail by ogon   Thumbnail by ogon   Thumbnail by ogon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9176717

My mother used to have the double-flowered Hemerocallis fulva way back when I was a kid ('60s and '70s) and she inherited them from her mom, etc, so this is a very old cultivar. Since then I've seen these plants labelled as 'flore pleno' and 'Kwanso' but they all look the same to me (taking into account local differences in growing conditions).
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9176725

Thanks Tom. I am hoping it is a triple so I keep getting these pretty blooms. The tawny lilies are pretty too, but there are so many daylilies on the property, there were 4 different beds full of just them! It's nice to see something a bit more interesting :). Here are a couple more pics too.

Thumbnail by ogon   Thumbnail by ogon   Thumbnail by ogon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9176762

I saw someone a couple of days ago mention that Flore Pleno has a more symmetrical form. If you compare the 2 side by side, you can tell the difference. I think you have Flore Pleno.
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9177296

Thank you for clarifying the difference between the two Kwanjin. After looking more closely at images of each I think you are correct. Flore Pleno does appear to have a more symetrical shape which matches my daylily. I will mark this thread as solved! Thank you Tom and Kwanjin!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9177394

You're very welcome.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America