Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: What kind of bush?

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 6, Views: 549
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 25, 2001
8:51 PM

Post #16818

I have a row of bushes in my yard and I have been trying to find out what kind they are, but haven't had any luck yet. I wish I had a digital to show a pic, but I don't so I hope I can describe it.

It's mature height is about 6 foot, and it has small shiny green leaves in the summer. It makes lots of berries that go from green to a very dark red, almost black right now. In the fall the leaves on this bush turn red.

I'm not sure I like this bush, as it puts out so many berries and I have these little bushes growing everywhere, in my lawn, flowerbeds and one even grew in the scoria road.

Anybody have any ideas?

Joan

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2001
11:00 PM

Post #152918

Joan
Could it be holly
Are the leaves pointed and sharp?
Its hard without a pix

Paul
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 26, 2001
12:53 AM

Post #152974

Thanks for trying Paul, but it's not a holly. It has leaves shaped kind of like a birch, only smaller and shiny. I have no idea what it is. I hope one of these days I can borrow the digital camera from work and get a pic of it before the leaves all fall off. Maybe then someone can identify it.
Joan
arptiger
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2001
3:24 AM

Post #153057

Could it be Poison sumac?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 26, 2001
4:30 AM

Post #153077

Hi arptiger! I looked up poison sumac and that's not it either. It's not poisonous to the touch either. I mess with it all the time while digging out the volunteers and never got a rash at all. The leaves are shinier than the poison sumac too.
Joan
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2001
2:39 AM

Post #155142

Joan, you might want to check out the various varieties of viburnums, some have bright red berries, some black. In the sun the leaves do turn color and there are lots of berries.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 30, 2001
2:43 AM

Post #155145

Thanks Marcia, I'll go look them up. It's strange, because I seem to be the only one in the country with this type of bush and nobody knows what it is.
Joan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America