Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener: ANSWERED: Filler for xtra large outdoor pot

Communities > Forums > Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener
bookmark
Forum: Ask-a-Dave's-GardenerReplies: 0, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ClimbingOnion
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9177096

I just purchased 3 large (approx. 16 gal.) high-density resin pots in an attempt to transfer a couple of palms from broken clay pots that weigh a million pounds. My goal is to make these guys a little more easy on my back when weather warrants that I engage in the "shuffle all the plants" game. The pots are larger than the plants need so I will have quit a bit of space that I prefer not to back fill will rock or soil.
Anyhow this brings me to two issues.
1) I once saw someone use old water bottles (w/caps on) to take up space in the bottom of a planter. I am trying to go for something like that, "outside the box". Styrofoam blocks or peanuts? Any ideas?
2) Considering I live in the desert I don't have to worry about freezing temps too often. Do you think that filling the bottom voids of the planter with an alternative material like water bottles (or whatever other suggestions I get) will make the plants more or less vulnerable to damage during cold weather? In other words will I have to shuffle more often...in which case it might worth just using gravel ;-)

Answered: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3816/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ask-a-Dave's-Gardener Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ANSWERED: Goblin Blanket Flower uncbba02 1 Aug 2, 2010 5:05 AM
ANSWERED: Morning Glory Removal piakennedy 1 Aug 2, 2010 5:05 AM
ANSWERED: Planting a Caryota Gigas (King Kong Palm) dagasman1 0 Jul 31, 2010 6:21 PM
ANSWERED: sunlight mableruth 1 May 6, 2014 7:47 AM
ANSWERED: Gophers, gophers and more gophers qmischief 0 Aug 7, 2010 4:46 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America