Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Snail Question again

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 8, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 23, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9177210

I asked this before but is there anyone on here who has used a product to get rid of snails that did the job and did not kill goldfish or plants? My pump keeps getting clogged up with them. This spring I drained and rinsed the pond multiple times trying to get rid of the darn things but they are of course back. I hate using chemicals but I am willing to try at this point in time.
Cheryl
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9190919

In the past I've used one of the parasitic medications for fish. Even though my fish didn't have parasites ( it didn't hurt them to be dosed anyway) the label said not to use it on snails, scaleless fish, etc...so that clued me in to the fact that it just might kill them! Although it didn't get rid of all of them, it did cut down their numbers. I'm planning on doing it again, because I see their nasty damage beginning on my lily leaves again.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

July 3, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9191059

Do you recall the brand name? I need it now also.
C
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9194459

Newton,
I'm sorry you have problem snails. Never experienced that. That said I have a mesh bag that came with my pump and pump is down inside of skimmer but with bag nothing can get right into it.
Maybe a bag would help keep them out of your pump as I'm sure thats a pain.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9197119

Newton,
My son was here today and happened to mention he found some cute little snails in his pond around his pump. I told him to pick them out as he has a stock tank pond and can reach them easily. I told him about your problem and he said maybe I had better get rid of all of them. I told him good idea.
Hope you can get rid of all of yours. I can imagine what they can do to a pump.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9197267

Drats Newton! I'm not sure of the name, but I'm going to look through my old reciepts to see if I can find what it was!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9197964

Be careful as the snails will come in on water plants...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9198158

Carolyn, you're 100% correct! My first snails came in on a water lily I ordered a few years ago. I usually dip my plants in my fish parasitic dip to avoid contamination...and occasionally potassium permaganate if they look muddy or skeptical...but ONE time I didn't...and all it takes is ONE time, and voila! Snails... blah...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9198205

Mary

We ended up with these tiny snails that get into some of the pumps. They must have come in on a plant, because the only type of snails we put into our pond are the trapdoor snails and these little buggers in the few pumps that have these problems dont' look like the trapdoor snails.

Another thing that comes to mind is that parasites can come in this way as well. I know there was one year we had anchorworm and that year we had not added any fish, but I had swapped waterplants with somebody. I won't ever do that again without treating the plants.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America