Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryThompson
Woodbridge, VA

June 23, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9177677

I'm relatively new to gardening and I'm confused about how to space my flowers. The packages/tags or information in magazines always says, like, 'plant 12" apart' (for example).

But when I look at the photos of flowers gardens in magazines, nothing is spaced 12" apart with gaps between. Things seem to be planted next to each other with no gaps between the foliage or blossoms.

So I don't understand how that cheek-to-jowl look is achieved. Am I supposed to plant other flowers in the gaps between the first flowers? Are the spacing guidelines merely suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Mary.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9177758

The spacing on the tag is to allow the plant room to grow and it's based on how big the plants will get when they're full grown. If you plant according to the spacing on the tag, then when the plants get full grown the space in between should be filled in, but the plants won't be growing into each other.

In the pictures in magazines, the plants have been allowed to grow, so they've filled in the space in between already which is why they look closer. But if you measured the distance from the center of one plant to the center of another, you would probably find it's fairly close to what the plant tag told you. Or, if things are planted specifically for the purposes of posing for a picture they may plant things too close to begin with

If you want a filled in look sooner and are willing to trim things more or pull some plants out once everything's full grown, you can plant things closer than what the plant tag says and your garden will look full sooner. If you're planting shrubs & trees and things that are going to be more permanent fixtures in the garden then I'd follow the spacing on the tags (or only cheat a little bit). If you don't then it creates a lot more pruning for you later. But if it's annuals and you want things to look more filled in then it doesn't hurt to plant things closer together.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9177974

pix 1:West border
pix 2:East border
pix 3:from within the border, here you can see gaps between plants.. Most gaps are there for plants to grow together, or "Knit together" (plants touching when full grown so the ground is not seen)
pix 4: here in this area of the garden, it's a few years older than the previous pix, notice how close the plants are now
pix 5: Here is a vinette, the flowers were planted (mostly from 21/2" pots, grown from seed) with the proper space between plants to acheive a filled in look from the matured plants. Does that help to answer your question?

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9177978

pix is a section of the border with perennial Hesperis matronalis (Sweet Dames Rocket). I origonally planted about 50 21/4" pots. Then I let them reseed and this is the result, a mass planting with hundreds of plants..and the fragrance is spectacular!!!
pix 2: is the origonal planting, second year, now you can see how much things have filled in, the above pix is probably year four.

This area has become rather crowed now and will be heavily edited (nice way of saying pulled out and thrown on the compost pile). Most of these plants are not spaced properly due to the reseeding that was allowed, but does give you an idea of what ecrane was talking about (planting closely).

To give you an idea of the size of my 2 borders (pix 1&2 above) it's 45ft wideX100ft long. The hesperis are almost 4ft tall. Good Luck, Kathy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

MaryThompson
Woodbridge, VA

June 24, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9178344

Thank you all! That was very helpful.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9179226

Here's another example, garden planted with recommended spacing and then all filled in a year later

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America