Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: cats in my veggie beds!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 16, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snowboi
Anchorage, AK

June 23, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9177972

how do i keep cats from using my veggie beds for their personal litter box?
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9178274

Liberally sprinkling black pepper around all of your plants normally works well. Cats are particular about where they go and sniff around to find just the right spot. A nose full of pepper is a pretty good deterrent for most cats. I buy the super size cans at places like Big Lots, Sams or some other discount store.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 24, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9178546

Fence it in and drape deer netting over it. Cat poop is nasty stuff.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9178563

There is also a plant called the "piss off" plant that they don't like the smell of. I can't recall who sells it. It's marketed as a house plant.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

June 24, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9178741

Plectranthus 'Sumcol 01'

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X4490&cart_id=111.100

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9178798

A sprinkle of cayenne pepper (or any ground, hot pepper or pepper flakes) also works well. I've had great success over the years using ground red pepper anytime I have a problem with dogs using my lawn for similar purposes. I've watched the offender sniff the lawn and then leave pronto w/o depositing anything. Nips it in the but pronto, and they don't return. Seems like they don't want to risk getting pepper on any sensitive parts. My guess is it will be equally effective with cats. (Red pepper is probably more expensive than black, but it is possible to get it in large containers at a pretty low price either in the Spanish section of grocery stores or sometimes at dollar stores.

Another option would be to lay some kind of light fencing material (chicken fence or the type with narrow rectangles) on the ground in areas you need to protect. Use something thin/flimsy enough to work with easily. Cut to fit and lay flat on ground in aisles, on beds, around plants, etc. They won't be able to dig with the wire in the way. It will irritate their paws and they will go elsewhere. If you have some spare bricks or rocks, you might want to use one here and there to anchor the wire.

There is also a product you can buy that works on the same principle as the wire but which is made specifically for this purpose. It has rubber or plastic 'spikes' that stick up. They don't harm the cat but make it difficult to dig in the area. Depending on the size area you are trying to protect, it may get expensive though. Most of the big, online garden supply sites probably have it along with places like Amazon. I've seen it at Gardeners Supply, a site I've used many times with excellent results and which has an excellent rating in Garden Watchdog (or did last time I checked).
BlakeInCanada
Kitchener
Canada
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9178806

I'm suffering from a similar problem, except it's that there are too few cats around. Maybe I should grow some of snowboi's plants!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9178825

Blake, your problem should be easily remedied. There are lots of cats out there in need of good homes. I adopted 2 strays myself recently. It's not that we don't love cats. It's just that we sometimes need to dissuade them from adopting our gardens as litter boxes.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9178842

If you really want to attract cats (and assuming there are some loose in your area), you don't really need to plant anything, just till some land. In all probability, the cats are not interested in snowboi's plants but rather the soft, freshly turned earth which makes the perfect litter 'box'.

In many areas, it's very difficult for outdoor cats to find a place where they can dig easily to do their 'business'. Where I live, for instance, every square inch of soil is covered with something: houses, streets, sidewalks, lawns, forest, etc, none of which makes for good, easy, digging. Gardens, on the other hand, are perfect. (Thus, the 2 strays I adopted dig in my flower beds and large flower pots when they are outside.)
snowboi
Anchorage, AK

June 24, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9178965

thanks for all of the info. and as for the plant vs. the freshly tilled soil. it is the freshly tilled soil.
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9179041

I normally use black pinebark mulch in all of my beds. One bed I had completed...the store was out of my mulch. I grabbed a couple bags of cypress mulch to finish my job. The cats NEVER EVER try to use that bed. I hate the drab color of the mulch and I will admit that it is pokey and you have to wear gloves to dig around. But the cats hate it.

For the other beds--when I trim my rose canes, I select the most prickly ones and lay them in the areas the cats are using. Also any spare rocks can be used between plants. This is not all that attractive, but it works most of the time.

Added: I just now followed the link about the plectanthrus. Several years ago I planted a variegated plectanthrus which had a trailing form in my beds. That was the prettiest and easiest groundcover. I have looked for it ever since but have not found it. I wanted to say it was also called Swedish Ivy.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2012 6:15 PM
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9190269

I have a cat that does the same in any newly dug soil, it apears to be there nature yeh right !!!!, what I do is stick some garden canes or pea sticks into the beds at a couple of feet apart, so i'm like making a mini fence posts, then I use a reel of cotton thread and criss cross it back and forwards and up and down all around the canes, the cat dont like the thought of being trapped in the cotton thread as they cand see a way out.
If you have to chase birds etc away, you can tie either strips of tin /baking foil at intervals so it moves in the breeze, or cut strips from a plastic bag and tie thos in the same fashion, the plastic dont get wet from watering or it does but it is not harmed.
Maybe this will give you some relief. good luck. WeeNel.
MrCsGarden
West Hills, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9206776

My cat was a garden pooper, too! He even dug through bark mulch to do his "business". My solution was to put a litter box on the backyard patio. While it is not attractive to have a litter box in the garden, it keeps him from digging around. And, it is easy to slip it into the laundry room when company comes over. Another bonus was less smell in the house! MrCs Mom.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9206906

Now that you mentioned this, I have a very large, shallow pot in my backyard garden. It's about 2.5ft wide and 6-8in tall. It used to contain herbs, but they died somewhere along the way, leaving only the large pot of loose soil. One day when I was out in the garden, I noticed one of my cats hop in the pot and do his thing. Since then I've seen both cats use the pot several times.

The upside of the pot of dirt is that it looks very normal in the garden, like flowers that haven't come up yet. Maybe you could try a hybrid of these two approaches: a short, wide flower pot with litter, perhaps adding a bit of soil on top after they get accustomed to using it, for instance, or a litter box full of potting soil.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9206917

MrCsGarden,

How do you keep the litter from getting wet in a rain shower? Clumping litter would seem to turn into a giant 'rock' after a rain. Oh, I see. You are from CA, where I'm guessing you don't get rain often.

After reading your post I was thinking I might add an outside litter box for my cats, in addition to the flower pot they currently use. Unfortunately, we get rain frequently here, and I don't have a place to put it where it would be protected by a roof. We have frequent afternoon showers and thunder showers, so that wouldn't be an option for me. I'll have to stick with dirt. (The flower pot they use has a hole in the bottom to let rain water drain through.)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9209687

I used bamboo sticks poked in the ground about every 12 inches in my flower garden. They won't go if they don't have enough room to get in a comfortable position. It worked.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9209968

I had forgotten about this until I read Domehomedee's post, but a few years ago my own cats were laying around in my iris beds. They didn't appear to be using it for a litter box so much as just wallowing around in the cool, damp earth between irises to keep cool in the summer heat. Unfortunately, in so doing, they were also rolling over the young iris plants and breaking them off at ground level. To discourage this behavior, I got some rose prunings, just 12in or so pieces trimmed from rose bushes and lay them on the ground between the irises. My thinking was that the thorns would cause the cats to look elsewhere for a place to sleep and play. It actually did work.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America