Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: PLANTS TO OVERHANG POND

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 8, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9178106

I love the look of vinca (type with green leaves and white edges). Have researched to check to see if they are poisonous to fish and all I get is periwinkle vine coming up. What I have is not periwinkle vine. Need to hide liner along 3 sides.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bonnie

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 24, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9179222

I have Vinca major vine around my pond and it is going crazy. Also one year I had the lime green and purple faux sweet potato vines around the pond.
Penny wort is always a good one too. But be careful it goes completely out of control :(
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9179274

The pink variegated water celery can hide things...and many of the culinary mints will trail and love the moisture!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9180828

Think I'll hunt some of that vinca major. I have purple potatoe vine but it always it full of holes from bugs but will move it to pond area. Will look up penny wort.
Mary
Doesn't the pink verigated water celery have to be IN the pond? Will also look up the mints.
Do either of you know if creeping fig will kill the fish if it hangs into pond?? I have it all over my house so I have plenty. It has grown up the house over the facia and onto the roof. I know everyone says I will be sorry but I hate to cut it back. To me it looks great.
Just thought about fern of which I have tons.
I'm trying to plant around pond with stuff I have. $$ is getting low and besides lots of stuff needs thining out. Ive been diggin up mondo grass and put it around skimmer. Boy that short stuff has a heck of a root system.
Thanks for your help. Will investigate those I don't know about.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9180989

Potatoe vine is toxic, if I remember correctly (most things with white sap, when you break the stem, are)
I've seen water celery planted in between rocks at the edges of ponds, and not always in the water. I know Bonnie at BonniesPlants in NC has a list on her site of plants that are listed as koi toxic.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 25, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9181157

I have creeping fig growing around the pond too. In this heat there really isn't much that is a problem like you probably have in Florida. It's pretty well behaved here.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9181565

OK no potatoe vine. I think Bonnie's list also includes taro which I use as you do Mary.
Checked on vinca major and it doesn't grow tall enough to hang over 4 X 4.
Think I'll try some creeping fig and ferns of which I have a ton.
Took a pic of house with fig just now so you can see.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens   Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9181814

Yes, I do use Taro, which is always listed as a toxic to fish plant...so I think some of them are just a "try and see" sort of deal. ?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9182313

Used what I had on hand. Dug up some fern-sweedish ivy and dumped a large pot of creeping fig and leriope and planted on corner and it fills it nicely.
Around the waterfall I plan to put something that will grow higher. Maybe even a small Jap. maple would be good. Plants will be easy, other challenges to overcome first.
Thanks for everyones help.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America