-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9178419

Let's see what Tropical Plants you are growing. Some talk about how best to grow them and later how best to overwinter them in our Mid-atlantic climate.
Truly Tiny Banana, OSP and verbena. The Truly Tiny is only to get about 2 ft tall. It was almost that big when I bought it so we will see how tall it is come fall.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9178423

I want one of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0-a8WTyIM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9178424

Cool!
Love the pink and chartreuse.

Plumeria, EE's banana, brugs- these are in my history if not my expertise. Eagerly hoping my Plumeria will bloom this year. I have it planted in ground. Last year in pot did not thrive.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9178430

BTW Sally that is my Terra Cotta Pipe.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9178441

Oh, very cool. I'll have to browse the brick/ concrete place one day.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9178954

The only tropical I have is a Plumeria 'Duke' from Chantell. It is leafing out nicely from the winter dormancy. I haven't done much research on how to grow these, but I need to see what I should be doing to get it to bloom.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9179033

Do caladiums count?
They are just opening now

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9179123

OK! I will play a Devil's Advocate here a bit...

WHAT exactly IS a "TROPICAL"???

In our Greenhouse at work--and many others--there are a good amount of plants---all loosely refereed to
as "Tropicals". As in: "Need to water the "Tropicals"...SO--"tropicals" is another word for Houseplants?

As in--they are not grown outside. They need less light. They are not planted in flower beds. They do not survive
the winters outside--they have products strictly aimed at them as "Houseplant Fertilizers"..."Insect killers"...

Many available houseplants ARE "tropicals"--Palms--Bromiliads--Orchids--Alocasias--some Ferns--
Christmas cactus--Anthuriums--Gingers--Hoyas--Epis--Clivias?? Plants in the "Orchid cactus Family"
Brazilian Plume Flower?--Camellias---etc...

Are Brugs and Daturas "tropicals"? How about Bananas? How about the many Philodendrons?

Are "tropicals" defined as plants that thrive in the warmer zones? Plants that do not require to be taken in for the winter?
Does that make them a tropical???

If I was more awake--I could think of many other examples, BUT--I have been up since 4AM---Store Meeting...

Perhaps--as part of this new Thread--we could have people express their opinions on what IS a "Tropical"...

I know I have many "tropicals"--but is that true? What defines a "tropical"...

Food for thought. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9179133

Yeah OK Gita, point taken!

I think the thread was opened with Bananas and EEs in mind, so maybe its Exotic tropicals.
The Brazilian plume seems to like our recent tropical weather.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9179139

Sally---

I just wanted to know if a picture of the many plants I have would be an appropriate one
to post here--or not--as a tropical.
Like--I am often accused of "highjacking" a Thread. Trying to be considerate...

I am not even sure, in my own mind, what is considered a real "tropical"?????
SO--I asked...:o)

G.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9179159

I quite often wonder over that same question myself. I think of them as plants that grow in Zones 8/9 and above that are not succulents. But I also think of plants like the Hardy Banana as Tropical even though it might with the right care overwinter in my Zone 6. Then I wonder about plants that I think of as Annuals are they Tropical and where would the line between tropical and annuals fall. Also Houseplants, are all my house plants tropicals? What about African Violets would they be considered tropical? I must look up some definitions of Tropical and see what they say.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9179170

In my mind it is the huge leaves of banana and EE etc that scream Tropical- but then I mentioned plumeria and Brugs too
; ^)
How bout- the things that grow like aliens in hot weather? Then go dormant or die and have to be overwintered that way.

I'm not calling the Thread Police
; ^)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9179199

I think of tropicals of plants that will not overwinter here but can grow year round in CA, FL or HI
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9179205

Any plants that grow in the Tropic or Sub Tropic zones are givens. I think there are other plants that we don't think of as tropicals that probably are and maybe plants that we think of as tropical that aren't. Your plumeria is definitely a tropical and I would think the Brugs are and the Brazilian plume flower comes from Brazil which is also definitively in the tropic zone. I didn't think of Cannas as tropical but I see them featured in the Tropical Forums all the time so that made me wonder about those as well.
I'm not calling the thread police either. I was thinking we would expand to any plants that you think would fit into this thread. I was going to include some of my water plants.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9179211

I would def consider cannas as tropical
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9179220

So do I now, but at the time I just never really thought of them as tropical, since some of them will over winter just south of our zone 6 I didn't think of them that way but I do now. The Brugs and Brazilian Plume Flowers I got from Gita at the swap are doing very well.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9179229

Do you have a pic of that Brazilian Plume flower?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9179257

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/114008/
but Gita may have pics of hers last year.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9179356

Woooooowhooooo MY kinda thread...let the sniffin' and discussions begin...Plumies, Brugs, Jasmines, tuberoses and least we forget our citrus friends...whaaaawhoooo. Course I've gotta a couple weeks before I'll have pics of those pretties.

re Plumerias - stand a better chance (never knew till recently...should've though...ugh) - at getting blooms if you keep them a bit above dormant during winter. LOTS of bottom heat now (put em on blacktop) - good soakings of water and feed well - now is the time. Put those babies in full sun...they'll thank you for it. And good golly if I gave it to you...please check it for being rootbound. I'm horrible at that and they all needed to be potted up.

Chantell's definition of 'tropical' - if I've gotta over winter its happy but INSIDE - I consider it tropical

This message was edited Jun 24, 2012 11:23 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9179363

Chantell, thanks for those tips! I somehow managed the less than dormant thing this year so that's a plus for me. And I'll be giving her comfrey tea!!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9179522

Someone in this other thread mentioned cooking with banana leaves.

I'd love to try this out!

I have a dwarf cavendish:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/532/#b

It's loving this heat and humidity!

How do I harvest the leaves? What kind of recipes have you used to cook with them?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9179549

Jen--

Here are 3 pictures I have that are pretty good.

The stems are thin and woody. Kind of fragile...This time of year--as it gets closer
to blooming--the stems thicken up a bit--about as thick as a pencil.

One year, the wind blew my big pot over and all the stems broke off.
The following year--it re-grew nicely. AHA! I think pruning it back is good???

Last year--following up on that thought--I cut it back and rooted all the cuttings.
Those are the ones I shared at Holly's Swap.

Just learned this past year--that this plant prefers some shade. Who woulda thought?

The below pictures are from 2007.

edited to add that removing the spent blooms encourages more of them.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 6:55 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9179562

Thanks for the pictures Gita, Jen isn't it beautiful?
I have one of the plants in a pot in the shade garden by the Potting Shed. The other one is still inside I need to pot it up and move it outside.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9179801

Yes it's is very pretty

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9179805

I repotted the plumeria from Chantell when I got it. It is sitting on the blacktop part of the driveway, in full sun, and has been getting plenty of water, so good news - other than letting it go in to complete winter dormancy, I've stumbled on to doing mostly the right things. I still need to fertilize and then sit back and see what it does this summer.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9179907

[quote="aspenhill"] I've stumbled on to doing mostly the right things.[/quote]

Lol, Terri, me, too! That's why I am so reluctant to depart from 'what works for me'. It is when what has been working stops working that throws me for a loop.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9181924

For any of you who like really big leaved elephant ears (Holly) check out this offer from LariAnn a premium aroid breeder in our own DG classifieds:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267646/

"This is an exceptional offer for you on my newest Alocasia release. This plant is a cross of Alocasia odora and Alocasia robusta, so you know it has the genes to grow big!.I have these now in 4" pots but a foot or more tall with thick corms at the sale price of 2 for $25 (minimum order 2) plus $12 shipping/handling.

Payment is via PayPal - you may contact me through Dave's Garden or by emailing me at AROIDIAN@att.net.

Don't miss this opportunity because when my remaining stock for sale is gone, it's gone!"

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9182165

Whoa those are HUGE

Just bought this Mandevilla, needed to fill in a spot for the summer where my clematis got eaten

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 9:20 PM

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9182279

Never seen a white mandevilla! Especially--with those "leathery leaves".

I always get one of the pink ones----Love--Love them!!!
Too bad they are annuals...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9182295

WOW Thanks Coleup. I wonder how big they would get during our growing season?
I know LariAnn, I believe she designed my Portadora Alocasia.
BTW, I should have extra bulbs from the Portadora to give away either this fall or next spring. They have really grown well for me.
Jen and Gita how pretty. I overwintered mine from last year and it looks good but no blooms yet.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9182320

Holly--HOW did you overwinter it??? Inside---or outside?

They DO have massive root systems! I have tried--but the plant is dead as a
doornail the next year...SO--I blow $20 for a new one each spring.
It is worth it to me. One of the high points in my garden...

I grows, happily, on my kitchen side wrought iron railing and trellis provided.
I NEVER use that door! Too many shelves of plants inside to use it...:o)

1--Mandevilla-
2--The unused side entrance----a great place for W-Boxes...
I also, usually, have either Cardinal Climber or some other vine to climb on all the railings...
Gets pretty colorful!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9182419

Gita that look so very pretty.
We bring the Mandevilla inside and let it go semi dormant. We give it a little bit of water from time to time. Probably much like you do the Brugs.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9183034

I've got the Mandevilla pot my MIL grew last summer... massive roots, and they're still green when scratched, but it got hit with at least one light frost before I got my hands on it, so my expectations are low. I've planted basil around the edges of the pot and put another pot on a short stand over the center... if/when the Mandy sprouts, I should be able to see it...

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9183101

The Mandevilla is soooo pretty. I probably should go get one. I have just the right trellis for supporting it. We built the trellis for a clematis which we half killed during the construction fo the trellis :-).
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9183325

Love this thread! I think a climate has to be zone 11a and higher to be considered "officially" tropical. In the SE US, zone 8a - 10b is considered semi-tropical. Even Miami can occasionally have temps dip into the 30's, and on one night back in the early '70's, Miami received a coating of snow - something that could never happen in a tropical climate.

It's still fun to go for a tropical inspired look. I incorporate my houseplants in my ornamental gardens during the warm season. I lived in the Phila region for many years, and I regret that I didn't grow needle and sabal minor palms. If I had seen them marketed, I definitely would have given them a try. Just curious, are any of the big box stores marketing these cold hardy palms in Washington, Baltimore, Phila, and mid Atlantic shore towns?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9183356

Our HD had hardy palms early on--like in April.

I really did not care for them. They were short, scraggly looking and had some
kind of thorns on them. Not pleasant totouch at all.

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9183372

I was checking out my Mandevilla this morning and I see a few buds. WHOOPIE!
I sure hope my Sky Blue Vine blooms.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9183375

I wish I had room to bring mine in.
I finally found the white one at the 3rd garden center I went to, I needed white to fit in with the garden I was putting it in
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9183570

Jen My Dad overwinters his in his basement. just takes it down there an stops watering it. Goes down about once a month and gives it just a little drink.
So here is one of the little groupings by the front of the GH. Big pot has a Croton, Asparagus fern, Verbena. There is one on each side of the walk.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9183573

we don't have a basement

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9183854

Holly---

The Croton is such an overlooked plant for containers! Instant accent plant! Amazing color spectrum.

Inner Harbor here has them outside a couple of restaurants. All lined up with the green Sweet Potato Vine
around the edges. MAN! How awesomely that compliments the Crouton--and v. v.

ANYTHING goes with their colors!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9183916

Gita that sounds beautiful. I have been wanting to ask you about spraying Neem on your outside plants. Are the plants you spray in the shade or out in the sun? Do you have trouble with sunburn on the plants after spraying? If you spray in the evening would it be OK for them to be in the sun the next day?
Here is one of the Calla Lilies. They aren't very strong and have to be supported. I have about 4 blooms and they all need support. Is anyone else having this issue with their Callas?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9184076

Holy---

I am NOT one to ask about NEEM. We have been talking about it on the Epson Salts Thread.

Please go there. I just posted pictures of my chewed up Butterfly Bushes.
Overnight--or so it seems--the Spider Mites do their damage. I am so frustrated...

Do you think sun or shade makes a difference??? I KNOW it has been dry and hot--the favorite
environment of Spider Mites. My Butterfly Bushes are destroyed!
They are at 2 corners of my "YUK" bed--so there is a lot of issues re health and thriving of any plants
in this bed. BUT--The Mites get then every year!!!!

Do Spider Mites overwinter in the soil? On the plants? How are they always "right there"
when the bushes are about to bloom???

I think I need some kind of massive spraying every 2 weeks or so to head these off.

Any suggestions from anyone?????? LOOK! This is pathetic!!!

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9184100

Holy cow!! No idea how to help you though, sorry dear!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9184106

I see Gita, I knew you were spraying Neem and I would like to put it on a few of my tropicals. But Neem Oil should not be used in the sun it can cause sunburn on the plants. So I was wondering how you were applying it and how it was working for you. I was wondering if you applied it in the evening would it still be an issue the next day if sunny. I use it on my house plants but only on cloudy days or I pull the shades until the next day. Does anyone else use Neem on outside plants.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9184185

Anything with oil has to be used earlier in the season(or in the fall), can't be used in this sunny hot weather
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9184366

FlowAjen, Is that true even if you don't spray during the middle of the day?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9184424

Oh Gita, my butterfly bush looks exactly like yours right now. I tried neem once but it didn't seem to help. I'm sure one application is not enough to do much, but it's just too hot to use it now.

I planted sweet potato vines with my tropicals because I love that look, but the SP is taking over! Do any of you have this issue? Can you be ruthless in trimming it away?

I'm trying out a dwarf meyer lemon tree. Is that considered a tropical?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9184433

Cut the ends of the swet potatos, they ought to just bush out. Sweet potato leaves are edible but I don't think the flavor is anything special.
I'd say yes for your lemon, what the heck. A friend had one going for some years against all odds I must say, and had fruit. I have a seedling from one of the fruits. It is thornless so I am hoping it came true to the parent. The flowers smell wonderful, I think all citrus do.
I have a Strelitzia that coleup generously gifted to me - or did she just get tired of the winter care? That's OK! I like trying different things. It's added a leaf.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9184435

Guilty as charged!
Glad you mentioned it. I was going to re-apply Neem again today...

I sprayed all the plants in the daytime...even my Brugs and tomatoes.
Now I just have to hope that they will be OK.
Since I have NEVER had any good luck with the B-Bushes---I really am not overly upset.
Will sprinkle a good amount of Systemic Granules around the base and water it in.
Should have done that in the spring...Next year...

If, somewhere, it was discussed about NOT using NEEM in the hot and sunny weather-
I must have missed it.

Will get some liquid Sevin concentrate (on sale at HD this week) and use that.
Will that be OK?
Thank you all! Gita

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9184475

With any of horticultural oils, it usually tells you right on the label that you shouldn't use it above certain temps...I would use BT, either Ortho or Bayer Advanced products. Sevin is REALLY strong, I've only used it on severe bagworm infestation and major ant problem
but to me the pics of your bb don't look like spider mite damage, have you actually seen them? You said the area is crowded, I think that is the problem

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9184538

But I wonder, since Neem is diluted at a TB or two in a 2 qt bottle, if it still needs that concern...and maybe we can continue this elsewhere- we're wreaking havoc with this topic, lol
like here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fr.php

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9184562

I was surprised to find this when I was looking at my caladiums. I did not know that they bloomed.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9184604

I always cut th e bloom off caladiums. Do you keep them? Doesn't it make the plant stop making leaves, or am I mistaken?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9184608

Spider mites, scale, mealy bugs... all seem much more inclined to attack plants that are stressed from too little water, tight quarters, etc. It can be March, with no mealy bugs in sight for months... I forget to water one weekend and don't realized it until I see some drooping leaves... then, kabam, spider mites everywhere and I'm spraying the plants down with alcohol.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9184625

Alcohol? rubbing or Vodka?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9184826

rubbing alcohol. I've sprayed straight 70% onto many plants and they haven't blinked. You can also apply it with a paper towel to rub off scale or dip a q-tip and touch it to mealy bugs on a more sensitive plant (like an african violet).

It seems to work best with little/no damage on plants that are succulent or have a waxy cuticle on the leaf (like citrus trees).

I know we've gone off topic, but it seems these tropicals we bring inside over winter are extra prone to pests. I'm sure part of the issue for me is that I cram a lot of plants inside over the winter, and I often try to "cure" a plant when I should just kick it out. Also, I don't use systemics because of the possibility that Eliot-kitty could munch a leaf or two.

I've given up on overwintering brugs, because they are just spider mite magnets... even if I give them their own little corner, I just can't keep the leaves on them... they grow out, mites appear, and before I can soap them away the leaves are toast... lather, rinse, repeat, and eventually the plant loses its will to continue the fight.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9185078

Brugs-- you gotta do with no leaves. Thats worked for me couple times anyway.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9185087

Sally--They WILL grow new ones...I hope! They are tough!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9185523

They sure are, I've had good luck with no mites on my Brugs.
Now my Plumie--this winter I prepped her by putting her in the shed with the No Pest Strip (Ric's recommendation) and she went up till nearly spring before the mite attack. It really helped. Just as she was really losing it, she could go outside for spraying, and soon enough stay out for summer.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9186240

Even my tropicals are not happy with our current heat wave and severe lack of rain!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9186261

I feel sorry just looking at my 2 Epis.
The one is now done blooming--the other one has a lot of buds.

I think I better move them in a bit more shade--if i can find a spot.
I think they are a bit heat-stressed.

I do not like to hang to many things under trees--as the ants make their way into the
baskets and set up a colony at the bottom of them. One more reason I use the
Systemic Granules before bringing them in.

I have 3 HB of spiders hanging from my patio roof-edge. Think I will move those and put the
Epis along the roof edge. Definitely less sun...

I really hate it when everywhere I look--inside or out--I see things that need to be done
and I just do not get to them. Procrastination at large...:o(

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9186382

Ugh...the dreaded spider mites...hate them buggers too!! Alcohol is my quick fix...I keep little mister bottles filled. I know I use the neem mixes either earlier on in the day or right before dusk. Not sure that I remember whether I've used it during summer months or not. I've invited a dear DG friend JBerger aka 'JB' from NJ to join our discussion here since she grows many gardenia (non-hardy ones) etc. and fights the same buggies as we do. Please give her a warm welcome if she pops over here.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9186430

Hey you buggy group, Gita, Jen, Holly, Sally, all my friends here on this thread and of course Chantell, what a great group. Now I know where you have been hanging out. :)
I can just feel your frustration and share every second of it with you. This year has been so bad with bugs..not just mealy and white fly but ants and earwigs in the greenhouse to the point I had to have the exterminator in to spray. i could not send out plants with ants or bugs in them.

I agree about using the neems during the day on sunny days. I usually use that in the early morning or evening or late afternoon when the sun is not directly on them. Gita, what happened to those plants of yours, Gads, that is a shame. I mix it with the dawn and water and of course I do not make it too strong, the actual soap does as much to rid the plants of mealy but than anything. I do hose them down good too. I have to agree about drying out and then up pops mealy...they come out of nowhere. I get so frustrated with them. I do not have any in the GH or in the house just now. Of course, tomorrow may be another story. I sit on my deck with the plants and wash off the leaves with the hose before I spray them. They seem to like that extra attention. ...I am really getting goofy with this heat. I must go make potato salad. Thanks for inviting me, I will pop in again if I may. Hugs. JB

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9186439

Way back when before DG- I tried spraying PAM on a plant for insect control.

Hey, its edible what can hurt? ROFL

PAM is for frying, and ya don't need a pan.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9186608

ROFL and at my age that is hard to do, but PAM, that is hysterical. I love it. Someone else in this world is my kind of person. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9186718

Hiya--JB--Old Pal!!!

I do not have any Mealy Bugs--just a lot of Spiser Mites on several things this summer.
As you said--the heat and the dryness is like hanging out a "Welcome to here" sign for them.

My Butterfly Bushes go through this every year. This year is just more awful.
Your Gardenia is Status Quo. hasn't done anything...The top leaves seem to be getting a bit pale green. No bugs!
Would that be because of too much sun?

I already moved the pot back to where it only gets some AM sun. See if that helps...
I have sprayed it once or twice--as a preventative with a Pyrethrin kind of insect spray.
Still keeping it well watered...
How come it hasn't grown any? No new flower buds? No real new leaf growth? WHY?????

I hate to even go out there to do anything...I get drenched in just 15 minutes...

Stay cool--don't do anything stupid, JB.
JB--Did you see my Red Epi? It was amazing--all covered in blooms!
Gita
--Red Epi in bloom
--Easter cactus blooming again. The first sparse bloom was when it was still inside.
--ME--and my Margarita at Inner harbor out to dinner with Sally (Donner).

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9187017

Well if 'they' hate dry then they should be runnin' after tonight!!!! I should have known when I took the time to water everything (should've seen all the potted ones looking utterly pathetic) - that we'd get rain...whew and how!!! Bet my 'tropicals' felt like they were 'home.' I ran out to pull all the pots off the deck rail before they went flying...realized some were missing - grabbed the flashlight and headed down into the back yard when I heard a 'creaking' sound...realized it was from the tree line directly up the bitty hill behind my house!! I do not scare easily but let me tell you my townhouse is in the direct flight path (or fall path) of those very tall willowy trees. I RAN up the stairs and inside just as Christine was coming to yell get in the house. Whew...that'll wake you right up. Hmmmm...hope those plants are ok that fell off the deck...ugh!! Still got boomers going on out there... MOST importantly hoping this finds everyone ok...I know some are w/o power.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9187060

wow chante ll hope your e still ok there
Happy typ haver rain here to o, anf yes spent some time watering today to o
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9187138

I had planned to water first thing this morning but thanks to the rain we got in that storm, I don't have to. In the flowerbed by living room window, all my larkspur, gladiolas and coneflowers are laying flat in the bed from the high winds, yet other flowerbeds were not bothered. Must have been the way the wind was blowing. I poured out 2 in. of rain from the rain gauge this morning. I have a really heavy birdbath that I have beautiful colored stones in it, I'm surprized those stones weren't lifted up and scatter all over the place and thankful they didn't get tossed onto my glass top coffee table. It is full of water though. The sun is going to have to evaporate that water. To remove the top of the birdbath takes both of us and it is a struggle as it is all concrete. We bought it years ago from pumpkin world in Hummelstown, Pa. near where the cemetery where my in-laws are buried. It does not get moved. It is beautiful but still wished we had never bought it. Wished I had a scale or could lift it to put it on a scale to see how much it weighs.. Guess I'll be cutting the coneflowers back today or maybe see if they'll pop back up when the sun comes out. I can always upright them and tie garden twine around them to hold them together.

If I cut those coneflowers back, will they grow back this summer and bloom again? I had tied garden twine around them yesterday morning because they were starting to lean over from being top heavy. Maybe I will try several of those single plant stakes around them. The green garden twine isn't that visible but I'm sure that piece I put around it yesterday is stretched from force of the wind.

Gita, what is that beautiful tropical plant in the pictures with you with your margarita?
I didn't know mandevilla's grow that tall. It must be your magic touch. (the one by your back/side door.)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9187167

Pippi--

The first picture? It is one of my Red Epis. It has NEVER bloomed this fabulously!
I think it produced one or two blooms a couple of times before...

Makes me wonder if it is the plant's "Swan Song"...

The 2nd picture is my Easter Cactus----blooming at the wrong time...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9187478

Mosquitoes are another tropical species and probably happy today after the rain!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9187618

Oh Gita, and everyone else , I am so glad to see you are o.k. I was awake from about 12:30 to 1:45 watching the storm go south of us, thanking God it did because I did not put my Jeep in the barn last night since I was not expecting a storm. The Barn swallows poop every 15 seconds and there must be 50 of them in the barn. My jeep looks like a birdie outhouse. LOL So, I leave it sit out when there is no storm in the forecast. I can not believe how quickly they are coming. The other day one came up so suddenly that I did not get anything put away when the hail came down and just raised havoc with some plants. I did get my awning up and the greenhouse fan off but that was it. I ran inside and stayed there.

Today it is hotter than you know what. its 94 out there and the sun is just scorching. I cut glads for the stand this morning about 9:00 a.m. and I was soaking wet when I came in. I rehydrated and stayed inside until I just closed the stand and have one bunch that did not sell, but I can not see it out there in the hot sun. I would rather put it in the house and enjoy it.

Gita, I think the gardenia must be getting too much sun and maybe it is pot bound. I would doubt it is, but I know they grow fast and I am amazed it did not so more blooming. Mine, that are your little ones age bloomed only once also. I have them behind the feedbarn and they get only morning sun just now. I had to move them because they were getting burned. The big ones are also in an place beside my deck where they get only morning sun.
I'm telling you, that sun is hotter than I ever remember it being and I am a sun worshiper.

Stay safe and cool. I am not doing anything much less something stupid. LOL I am just lazy today and do not feel like doing a thing. I need to do some bookwork, sewing and make some plant tags and here I sit doing this.
Oh well. Hugs. JB
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9187634

God I wish we would get some rain (horrible winds, no). THe only upside to this heat blast is that the slugs seem to be in hiding.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9187641

If I looked like a slug I would hide all the time.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9187649

Here we got less that1/4 inch rain from last nights storm though it did wet the leaves. We have had less than a half inch of rain here and are in "moderate drought" Next category up is 'severe drought'. and it is only the beginnining of high heat. So, tomorrow I will move my tropicals into as much shade as possible and set them in two kiddie swimming pools and let them dream of the tropics whence they came.

I agree with you JB, that the sun does seem more intense than I remember .
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9188021

We were at my son's in Annapolis last night. They lost power and lots of damage in their neighborhood. Still w/o power when we left at 2. Hoping they have it back by now. It was starting to get pretty warm when we left.

Very tropically for sure.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9188135

Our thermostat is set at 83, so its not much cooler inside here LOL Well, we notch it down to sleep. If we lost the AC we'd have to sleep in the basement I think. Today was more humid and less breezy.

GINGERS- another tropical heard from.
I got one of the variegated gingers, clearance, back in February. I love the leaves but it is taking a long time to grow out new, undamaged ones. And I have a sprout from the one Chantell gave me last year.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9188195

Glad it was less humid today but it was HOT

no storm here but friends from church got HAMMERED, trees down and still no power 2 kids died in South Jersey from a tree falling on their tent

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9188527

Good to see you all o.k. Storms missed us again last night. So, today I have to water again. I closed the road stand because the heat just kills the flowers if they do not sell right away. I would rather see them in the field and enjoy their beauty longer. Not that many left. It is just too hot to be out there cutting and bunching. I am not completely crazy. Just old.

Atlantic County and a few other South Jersey Counties really got hit by those winds Friday night. It will be a week before they have electric. And another week of 90s. I saw in TV NJ was only in the 80s. I wonder where he was looking. I can at least function in the 80s but when it gets above 90 forget it. I can not imagine going camping in this heat with little kids and then, having a tree fall on the tent. I do understand the rangers were telling all the people in tents to get to their cars. Wow, how awful, and how do you live with that the rest of your lives. Awful things happen every day but when it is so close it just seems impossible it could really be happening.

I hope you all have a good day and watch the sky for those pop up storms. JB
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9188626

Things have been pretty good here other than the heat. There was a good bit of damage at Hershey Gardens about a 1/2 hr's drive. I was out in the yard for most of the day. I look like a grub. Wearing my bathing suit with filthy long blue plants and knee pads. Every so often I throw my self into the pool for 10 mins then back into those pants & knee pads to do more planting and weeding.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9188669

I can't believe you're working out in the yard in this heat!!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9188728

Monmouth and Mercer counties in NJ are under a severe storm watch as of a few minutes ago. Hope if any of you are up in that area you stay safe. Keep your eye on the sky.

Just finished watering the containers again. Lost 7 out of 8 hanging baskets. Sun dried the plants completely out and the soil was still moist. Crazy, never saw that happen before. In fact it is darn scary. Gotta run for now. JB
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9188739

[quote="JBerger"]If I looked like a slug I would hide all the time. [/quote]

:-) I never thought of it that way. Must be why they only come out at night.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9188790

y'all stay safe!! I'm sure there's plenty to do "out there" but I'm simply not...maybe later closer to dusk. Need to repot the 4 tropicals that got blown off the deck in that mad mess Friday night...everything else fared well..thank goodness. Been cleaning house which needed much attention...sheesh!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9188921

I used to trap them in beer and I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that they come out at night to drink beer. I have a weird sense of humor. JB

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9189253

"happy hours" LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9189695

Special Request

Haven't heard from a number of folks that the major storm that blew through on Friday night may have impacted like ruby, aspenhill, greenthumb and pat, ssgardener, donnerville, Bec, hart, speedy and catbird to name a few...Hope they will check in soon and that they are all ok.

If any of you reading this have a way of checking in with any of the above or other DG neighbors, knowing that they may be out of power and cell phone service, please do so and convey our prayers and wishes for their well being.

You can report any weather and well being reports on our ongoing Chat thread (Your Neck of the Woods) here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268408/

Thanks,

Judy

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9189750

[quote="JBerger"]I used to trap them in beer and I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that they come out at night to drink beer. I have a weird sense of humor. JB[/quote]

Hm slugs, or frat boys?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9190077

Slugs Sall girl. My frat boys days ended before you were born. LOL I am old as dirt. But I had my share of fun, just don't talk about it.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9190441

tee hee
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9190637

[quote="JBerger"]I used to trap them in beer and I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that they come out at night to drink beer. I have a weird sense of humor. JB[/quote]

I recently learned that they prefer super-yeasty brews ( it's the smell). But, really am I going buy Belgian beers for my slugs? :-)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9191074

You know, maybe I should go get a six pack of good beer and taste it to see if it is fit for the slugs. This morning I went out to get the pooper scooper in the dog yard to pick up you know what, and I keep the scoopers hanging on the fence. I grabbed one and God forbid, there was a slug in the handle and I almost wet my pants. I just hate those slimy little *&()_)*& . And, to grab one and squeeze, Yikes. Well, I naturally thought of this group. So, Off I go to town. The only problem, the dog will drink the beer before the slugs get it. What a dilemma I am having. JB

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9191081

Oh, I forgot the real reason I stopped in. I want to put this on the fragrant flower thread, but these young Jasmine Maid of Orleans are about three years old now and I have grown them from cuttings to replace their mother plant that I had for seven years. Just lost her last year. She was so big I had her in a muck bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. I could not find a planter large enough around here and to ship one would have cost too much. Here is a picture of the Mother plant and the one baby in full bloom. These plants live in the GH in the winter, but stay outside from April until late September. Enjoy JB

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9191098

Sorry to laugh at your expense JB but I did...I can hardly bear to touch a slug when I know its there, very rarely would I touch one, but to have one surprise me like that, I think I would too! (p i m p)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9191196

Lookie what opened up for me this morning! A real Tropical...

I counted 15 flower buds on the whole plant. What a show i will have, for weeks and weeks
as they slowly open up. Both of my Epis have surpassed all my expectations this summer.

Pat---this is the plant that I gave you that callousy-looking segment from at Holly' Swap.
All you have to do is wait...and wait...and wait...until they get insanely pot-bound.

The scabby things on the "leaves" must not bother this plant any...
Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9191520

Gita, your epis are stunning this year! I've been so enjoying the photos of them. Thanks for sharing them! Gotta say, they really are fairly homely plants... until they bloom... !!!

I missed getting a photo of the first lotus bloom this year... but I think I have 4 different ones budding up now! They're actually pretty hardy, but they sure have that tropical "look." :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9191946

Jill---

I do not do anything special. Seldom fertilize--water when i water anything else.
I am totally in awe that something so beautiful can come from some decrepit looking
calloused fronds.
It is miserably root-bound. I think--that is the secret. I would not dare re-pot it...

They DO seem to have their own time-frame to do whatever they are going to do.

I am thrilled!!! 15 buds! Can you just see that???? I an sure you will...

Talk about UGLY--until they bloom!!!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 3, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9192110

That ric-rac one that you shared with me... do you know if it might bloom someday? or is it a "poor relation?" Either way, it's a cool little plant, rootbound in its little basket and apparently enjoying the "benign neglect" it gets here. LOL

I remember the size of the ric-rac cactus you donated to the conservatory... :-)

Check out this epi... gi-normous cascade of blooms drawing every eye at the 2012 Philly Flower Show.

'Deutche Kaiserin'

Thumbnail by critterologist   Thumbnail by critterologist

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9192390

Jill--

Yes, the Ric Rac does bloom.
I have only seen it once, some years ago. No idea what it needs to repeat that.
It is huge--and, definitely, root-bound. Beats me...

Here is a picture of the Ric Rac bloom from --all taken in 2006.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9192487

Wow, that's really something!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 8, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9197786

What an education reading this thread has been. It has also been good for a few laughs too. I see that there are some like minded people here in regards to slugs!!! I absolutely hate them with a passion.

Did want to report to Donnerville that a couple of the African Violets and the Streptocarpus she shared with me are in bloom and bringing me so much delight. Some of my pots did the same as Chantell's did and took a plunge when the big winds came through.

Coleup, I am just now being able to report in on a thread. We had no power from last Friday evening until the afternoon of the following Friday. I can now officially say that I have lived through A Week From He**. John uses the term brutal to describe what we endured. I always considered power outages to be one of my very top pet peeves, but now I know that in times before I had only tasted the tip of the iceberg when going without power for a few hours at a time.

I am still feeling weak mentally and physically and can't for the life of me find any of my previous pep in terms of doing any of the things that need doing around here. I was able to water my plants twice last week and none look any worse for the wear. On Friday when the well was once again working, I gave everything an extra long drink of the wet stuff.

The tropical plant topic is very interesting and I have enjoyed what everyone has to say so far. I too have a special interest in plants that tend to fall in the tropical category, so look forward to hearing how others tend theirs. We too have had some plants get very damaged by some pest this year. It started with our Hosta, only in the back yard, the ones in the front weren't bothered. About a week or so ago I looked at a Hibiscus that has been destroyed by something, which looks like damage from Japanese Beatles, but we have only seen one of them the whole season. Another Hibiscus that is planted only a few feet away is as healthy as can be. We haven't figured it out and haven't given much thought to treating with anything. If I hear good results here from others and the solutions they use to treat pests, at least we can be ready next year.

Stay cool and remember that cooler temperatures are just right around the corner...supposedly.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 8, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9197934

Gita, I believe I've seen your Ric Rac in bloom at Rawlings Conservatory. I'll have to look through my pics to see. Ric

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9198074

Yes 'cooler' temps - went from 104 at 2:30 today to 75 now...four hours later. I have to say - I had my doubts when leaving earlier but feeling quite blessed with the lower temps and mini-shower albeit short in length

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9198153

Ric--I would love to see the ric rac at Rawlings--in bloom.

I think it blooms earlier there that one would think...may be the environment?

The one time I went there--it had already finished blooming.
I did not like the color of the fronds--kind of yellowish. me thinks maybe too much light in there.

The orchid Cactus like more filtered light. I also do not think they like 100* temperatures too well.
Neither do the Brugs. Put them also in either AM sun or in dappled sun.

Talking about brugs---what does your big Dr. Seuss look like right now? Mama wants to know...
Mine is in its second bloom. It has spider mites--I have hand-sprayed a bit--but I need to really drench it.
I also put a generous amount of Systemic Granules under it. See if that helps...
My Bush Beans are shot because of the mites! They do not produce much anyway.
WHY do I bother planting these? Or 5 tomatoes?
My pickling cukes are going gung-Ho. I have picked 6 beauties in the last 2 days.

Never seen so much Spider Mite damage before--on a lot of things. BUT--heat and dry will bring
them out like a 50% off sale at Macy's. Ahem--i never go there...

The air outside is heavy--and ominous. We were told a T-Storm is coming...I believe it.

Waiting for the 2nd bloom to open on my Epi. Two days--i say!
Gita

rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 9, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9198802

I especially love the looks of the Ric Rac plant that Gita shared with me. Such a very cool plant for sure. Heck, everything she has ever given me is cool though.

Coleup, when reading about Gita saying something about a yellowish color to something, it brought to mind a question you had for me about the Prickly Pear. The ones I have bloomed in yellow a couple of weeks ago. I will tell you that even though I had a heck of a time with the thorns off those boogers, the repotting I did has been really interesting. The ones I repotted have all thrived in this heat and I am sure they are all breathing a big sigh of relief to be finally taken out of the large and very crowded pot they were in.

Hope that your does well for you.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9199331

Prickly pears, there's one bunch I have not had a moment's worry over lately! I have the local yellow, and also this... and a bg red from AZ, and now a thumb shaped , rather than pad shaped, one. You'd never guess who gave me a thumb shaped prickly in exchange for a hunk of Big Red..

do gingers like sun or shade?

Thumbnail by sallyg

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9199710

I want Prickly Pear, I just haven't figured out where I would want to plant it. LOL
Finally the Trop Hib is blooming again.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9199743

wow!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9199792

Holly---NEVER seen colors like that before-----

I would call these "Rainbow"...Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 9, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9199801

I have a tag around here somewhere for that. I will see if I can find it.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9199827

Beau-ti-ful!!!!!

Sally - re ginger SUN SUN SUN - I read some where (I think...ugh) that they like their roots not as hot though...so mine are planted behind a larger pot w/vinca growing over and around their base.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9200116

thanks C-
that sun with cool roots thing though, what are these plants thinking??

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9200157

These beauties seemed to thrive in that 90 deg. weather.
The Mandevilla 'Alice Du Pont' and Star Jasmine.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012

Post #9200191

Soooo pretty JB!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 10, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9200253

Holly, if you will allow me, I will put your name on one of the pots of Prickly Pear I potted up earlier. Please, please. Heck, those babies will live anywhere at all. On a couple of trips that we made to Harts, many years ago, John and I were amazed at them growing all along the hillsides leading to her place. My mother had them in several spots at her home too, and that is where these originated.

Our back yard Hibiscus are blooming to beat the band too. I haven't yet checked on the ones in the front yard, but they may be in bloom too. I really love a Hibiscus and am often tempted to stop at folks yards along my ride in to town and ask for seeds from theirs. If I were John, I would have already done that, because he will stop anywhere he sees something he likes and strike up deals with the plant owners. We have plants from several counties surrounding us. hahaha

For those losing their Butterfly Bushes, we have loads of those to share at the swap too. A couple of years ago, again he stopped in a neighboring town and was able to dig up loads and loads of baby Butterfuly Bushes which are all in pots already waiting for new homes. Our yard also sports several volunteer bushes too, probably thanks to the neighborhood birds.

Anyway...as you can tell, I am anxious to get rid of some of our excess plants. We haven't done much with the Farmer's Market this year because he is spending most of his Saturdays on our roof taking off the old one and putting on a new one.

Anyway...all you folks have a good day and I hope that you are enjoying some cooler temperatures where you are.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 10, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9200281

That Hibiscus is AMAZING!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9200339

I'm with John...I have no pride if I see something stopping by and asking an owner about it. I've been given plants...traded plants...offered money for plants. And like wise if someone asks for a cutting from my yard (or babies if avail) I'm happy to share. My next door neighbor is moving and came buy with 2 pots of herbs. She said I thought maybe you'd like these - yours look so lush...these are struggling. LOL Told her I'd be happy to give them a home (and water - as that's what they needed)...sweet lady!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 14, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9204972

I was quite suprised earlier in the week when watering and John asked me to water some things under a tree at the side of the house. Upon inspection I saw that I have several plus Banana Plants that must have come from Coleup at the swap. I have only potted one in a decorative pot and have it with my houseplants and it is growing leaps and bounds, along with some of the other tropicals that Cole so lovinginly shared with us.

Anyway...that was quite a surprise and now I have some more work to do in terms of getting these in better pots than they are currently in. Shoot, I could have been growing all these things to a lovely size. As it stands, due to every day being devoted to putting on a new roof at our house, there have been no trips to the Farmers Market for some weeks now, so my collection of to sell plants are all here and no idea when they may be sent out in to the world to sold again. I hope soon, because it is going to be way too many things to bring back inside this fall. I guess that a lot of them could be offered at the fall swap.

Anyway...always great to hear what folks have going on, plant wise. Keep sharing folks.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9205135

I finally took a picture of the Big Musa Banana that Coleup gifted me. It is looking great and putting out a pup. Sorry that there is all kind of background mess in this picture.
A few pics of the Gazebo and the Big Portadoras,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9205302

Oh Holly. mama Musa looks good where you have it! And it she's putting out a pup I think it means she want to stay! So glad you and Ric could give her a home. I see she is in a pot (pretty!!) so will you overwinter her this winter? How are the red absynian bananas I swapped to you doing? Mine have really put on growth in the last few weeks and are almost 4 feet tall now. I love their coloration.

Ruby, I was wondering why I hadn't heard you mention the bananas! If you give them fresh soil and pot up and fertilize each watering they will catch up in no time! Bananas love to eat!

If you and Holly feed yours (and any one else who got one!) they will eventually reach the size of the one in this picture (tallest reddish in center) taken at my friend's house about 4 miles from mine. They gree mant tropicals and now live in FLA. This is what their yard looked like about this time of year. Sure doesn't look like most mid- atlantic yards!

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9205334

PS Ruby, forgot to add that you and John could always 'go native' and finish your roof with a banana leaf thatch!!!

Thumbnail by coleup

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9205344

red absynian bananas are doing great as well. I will get a picture of them.
I haven't decided about overwintering the Musa, yet. I think I will bring it inside this winter, we might have the GH heated for winter and I could put it in there. I would like to try overwintering one out side but I think I will wait till I have a few pups growing before I risk one.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 15, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9205822

Great photos Holly. Makes me want to come and visit again soon. I was just telling John this week about the temperature difference in the gazebo the day of the swap. It felt a good ten or more degrees cooler inside of it than outside of it. It is lovely too and now all the wonderful greenery around it makes it look even more like paradise.

Coleup, I suppose there were so many plants to deal with upon arriving home after the swap that things got put in places that I haven't been aware of until now. I knew of the one banana plant but am now really thrilled with finding the others too. Yippie!!!! That is a project for either today or the next couple of days. I too will have to try and snap some pictures of the other elephant ears you shared too. All are thriving currently. (Please don't anyone hold their breath when I promise pictures, because I am often very slow about doing it.)

Also Cole, I couldn't get the photo from Florida to enlarge, so am unable to see it very clearly. Would you mind trying to post it again and see if it might enlarge for me this time. Thanks hon!!!

Gonna wish all readers and very enjoyable kind of day.

Ruby

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9210826

Maid of Orleans (aka MOO) and Lakeview Jasmine - doin' their vodoo

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9210829

My pride and joy - Bouvardia longiflora - THIS one made it through the winter...whew

Thumbnail by Chantell

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9211023

I am hoping that my Jasmine will bloom. It is growing very well but I haven't seen blooms yet. I do have it in a shadier spot do you think I should move it out into the sun a bit more?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9214988

Holly says"Sorry that there is all kind of background mess in this picture. " Maybe she needs to hire a new pool guy. ROTFL Ric

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9215015

'new pool guy' LOL May I put in an order as well...and we can split shipping? Oh wait...I don't have a pool. Hmmm...I wanna pool guy any way! Holly re Jasmine - most of the jasmines with exception of Maid of Orleans like a lot of sun - you'll see many more blooms with increased sun. My Maid is in a locale where she gets bright indirect light - she just doesn't seem to enjoy the direct sun like the other jasmines do imho.

For those in VA - SALE alert - Meadows Farms is having a (crud, now I can't remember) either 25% or 50% off of all tropicals... http://www.meadowsfarms.com/home.aspx well at least at the Stafford locale...maybe call your local one to see if they are as well...

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 9:17 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9215020

Think I will move mine into a more sunny local.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9220333

I need a tutorial on how to remove and transplant banana pups!

Thanks to Chantell for referring me to this forum:
http://www.bananas.org/f2/time-separate-pups-spring-1814.html

But my dwarf cavendish so much smaller, so I'm afraid to dig in and pull out the pups like this. Does anyone have personal experience with this? I'd like to divide up all the pups that are coming up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9220575

'Fraid you won't know how umch the pups have their own roots until you excavate some.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9220585

I take off pups when I dig up the whole plant in fall... best way, IMO, because then you can see all the roots. A pup with even a scrap of a root is way more likely to survive. :-)

See my "Going Bananas" article for photos of removing a pup from the main corm: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/299/

And, err, well... if you end up with an extra Dwarf Cavindish, I would love to have one! I can find you something fun to swap it for, I bet. The "dwarf" banana I ordered several years ago grew to 18 feet... LOL... be nice to have one that could just stay in a pot for moving in & out, maybe even get fruit. Speaking of fruit, you'll want to leave one or two pups attached I think. When the main plant fruits, it will die back, and then one of the pups will take over.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9222435

This bloom opened this morning. It is my disocactus x hybrid that was given to me. I have cuttings for sale on this one as well as some in pots that are not ready to sell just yet. This old plant is amazing.

The pink mandevilla is going wild too. See our baby Christmas Trees in the background of the Pink????They are so happy we had rain.
]
Stay safe in the storms. Old lady Hugs from JB.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9222650

JB--
Good to hear from you...
Your red Epi looks just like one of mine...don't have the name right now...

I have repotted all my small CC's in 4" pots. I think they are happier ti be in
larger pots and out of those 2" clay pots--that dry out once a day.
Hoping several of them will bloom this year--so I can actually see the colors.
I want to see the pink ones. Then i can send you a few more.

The rest of my garden turned into a feast for Spider Mites.
Too many plants just succumber! All my Brugs--hanging in--but not one
healthy leaf among them all.
Today I noticed my Morning Glory "Picotee" leafes all yellowing out.
Back sides look like someone sprinkled paprika on them. What is that???

Will take a picture tomorrow. I am at work right now...

Greetings back to MY favorite "Old lady"...:o) Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9222658

Paprika sounds like spider mites
; ^(
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9222690

I guess you've tried soap, neem, etc. against the mites... One thing that knocks them back pretty well on my houseplants is rubbing alcohol... I take the 70% solution from the drug store and use it straight on any plant with succulent or waxy leaves, cut it maybe half and half with water on plants that I don't think can handle it full strength. The dollar store has little spray bottles that make a nice mist. It's the most effective thing I've found against spider mites, and I'm often surprised at how well it's tolerated by the plants.

I'm sorry you've had such a time with the mites this year. Spider mites are why I stopped trying to overwinter brugs after a couple of tries... I'd go 3 days without looking at the plants (down in my basement), and wham, all the leaves would have dropped off (again) with an attack of spider mites. I might try cuttings this fall if anybody is chopping theirs back... I think if I keep them upstairs (in a bubbler maybe) I can keep a closer eye on them and spray them as needed.

JB, have you overwintered mandivilla before? My MIL had a huge pot of it last summer, and I scarfed it up in fall because she had just stuck it behind the garage... it had gone dormant but didn't seem to be frozen to the root. I watered it (just a sip) every so often over the winter and was hoping to bring it back to her this summer. So far, it has refused to sprout this year. There are healthy-looking thick knobby roots in the pot, plenty of them, but no shoots. When I scrape the top of a root lightly, I can still see green color, so I just don't think it's "all the way dead." But I'm not sure what more I can do to encourage it to grow... ? Even if it started growing this late, it would be fine because I could put it downstairs under lights with my amaryllises or up in the sunroom.

I planted basil around the edges of the mandivilla pot and then put a metal pot stand over the center so I could add another potted plant in the center without disturbing the mandivilla's roots. So it's been getting regular water, and needless to say it's had plenty of heat this summer. Any ideas, anybody?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9222703

(((((JB)))))))

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012

Post #9222919

Jill--

I would have to spray all my Brugs and now my MG with Alcohol. Not sure how the plants
will like it??? May do some damage--to add to the damage already done.
I mean--I would have to do this with a sprayer--big time!

Is there not some other insecticide out there besides NEEM that will control Mites?
Something that is not so sensitive to hot weather?

Gonna do the NEEM again tomorrow AM. Just have to do something!

Jill--Now--RE Brug cuttings.

You talk about "bubblers". PLEASE don't do that! Been there--failed at all that!!1
Please trust me that the BEST way to root them is just to take 5"-6" stem cuttings, of decent thickness--
and shove them in fresh, moist potting mix--all the way to the bottom in about a 5"-6" pot.
You can use rooting hormone if you like. Does not matter...
Do not try to root the soft tips as cuttings--been there--tried that--it never worked! The die off.

In my early years dealing with Brugs--I listened to all kinds of "experts" and tried to do as they said.
WOW! The "Bubbler System" sounded so logical! DG'er from FL and from CA were toting it THE way!
Went out and spent $$$ on all the supplies. The bubblers--the pump--the "T" diverters--all the tubing, etc...
Uses a lg--top cut off- jug as my vessel.
Followed the advice about H2O2 in the water---changing it often (forgot many times)--and also did not
do all the required cleaning and sterilizing as needed. Watching for the white "bumps" on the stem--
which was supposed to be the start of roots. One could pot it up at this stage. Success??? Occasionally.

Basically--whether you want to or not--there will be slime growing in the water--as well as on the cutting's bottoms.
Then the fungus would start to affect the cutting ends in the water. The skin would get all slimy and separate
off from the wood. The cuttings will decline--Basically--sure death!
I do not think you would have the time to check all the water and the state of the cuttings every day.

I think I tried this for a couple of years--never succeeding--and then gave up and went to the "directly into the soil"
method. It has NEVER failed me! NO rot! NO fungus! NO slime! They just root and pass the "tug test"
in about a week. Even quite fat stems will root this way. Even the main trunk--IF you want to try it.

Gita

Pic is of Jan. 2012. ALL my brug cuttings growing like crazy. Took them in mid-October, 2011.
Since I do not use my light set-up in the winter--I use them for all kinds of cuttings.

Remember my insane success with all the Coleus cuttings a couple years back? Used the lights as well.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9223115

I know that slimy rot thing that happens with cuttings that don't get checked often enough! I do OK with most of my cuttings, have even overwintered coleus cuttings in rooting vases (mostly because I didn't get around to potting them up until spring LOL). I figure a bubbler might increase my chances, and I've got a couple air pumps, tubing, etc. I'm planning to use my 70G tank (that I'm breaking down and taking to the basement) to overwinter tropical water lilies and similar things... going to put a bubbler in there too, although the lilies would be fine without it. That could also give me an easy place to plop in a bunch of cuttings, and I'd just have one big "water bath" to top up and keep clean. Could work. We'll see!

I do remember when you kept taking set after set of coleus cuttings -- and rooting them all! Wild.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9223118

Good luck, Jill. Let me know how your Brug cuttings did. Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9223132

LOL, don't have any Brug cuttings yet, so I'm not counting them chickens! But I'm pretty sure the big tank will be a good place for other cuttings, like the ones that routinely crowd the back ledge of my kitchen island. Coleus, houseplants... we'll see how carried away I get.

I have two big tufts of leaves on my plumeria this year, probably the best it's looked yet, but still no sign of a bud or bloom. I think it was Sally who mentioned something about them blooming better if you don't let them go completely dormant over winter, no matter what Paul James said LOL, so I'm going to try potting it up and putting it with the amaryllises or in the morning room this fall/winter.

Oh, must report that the Black Stem Taro (I think that's what Coleup called it?) has put up several leaves for me, and the tallest is nearly 5 feet off the ground! I had no idea it would do that... guess it's just as well the spot I had available for it was at the back of the deck bed! It's pretty much the same height (or taller LOL) as the hardy hibiscus and banana plant I have back there. Striking!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9223204

[quote="Gitagal"]Jill--

I would have to spray all my Brugs and now my MG with Alcohol. Not sure how the plants
will like it??? May do some damage--to add to the damage already done.
I mean--I would have to do this with a sprayer--big time!

Is there not some other insecticide out there besides NEEM that will control Mites?
Something that is not so sensitive to hot weather?

Gonna do the NEEM again tomorrow AM. Just have to do something!

[/quote]

Gita, I hope you have been able to get some new fresh neem oil to use so your efforts aren't in vain!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9223351

If the mites are that bad, I wouldn't worry about neem or alcohol damaging the leaves... if the plants recover from the mites, they will put out new growth. Sounds like you're in a "nothing to lose by trying" situation. You could try one brug first... and brug leaves seem to have a pretty tough cuticle on them, so I bet it would work. Hope you "neem'd" them this morning and that did the trick!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9223411

I am not a real authority on the Mandevilla, but i do know they must be cultivated on the dry side through the winter until about February when they begin to have activity in their growth. The professionals recommend starting them in Clay pots because it helps keep the root system healthy. I try not to cut mine back anymore than necessary because they say the more foilage left on until early Spring the healthier the root system will be. The more light they have the more they will bloom. I only have two but they are on my south deck in the hot sun all day and in the greenhouse all winter. I fertilize when i remember. I do not know the names of either of mine. Charle ate the tags. i do know the red one is patented, but the pink I think is a 'Alice DuPont' and I do not think she is patented. I need to look that up to be sure I do not cut her and then find out too late.
Hope this helps.
AC man is here working on leak on unit. UGGH! $$$$$$$$$$$flying out the window.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9223457

Will show you my growing MG "Picotee". It still has not bloomed!

I love this one--the leaves are interesting, a soft, pale green,and it does not vine around things like
many other MG's. I have had to "help it along" and try to give it direction with Velcro plant ties.

The blooms will be blue--with white edges. I may also have a pink one mixed in.
The leaves are kind of lobed in a triangular way, and slightly fuzzy. Hence the mites love them.

A couple of days ago, there was no sign of damage. Then two days ago--I noticed the lower leaves start
to yellow out and get distorted. I am afraid this is traveling up the plant at a good speed.
The back side of these leaves were sprinkled with Paprika colored tiny dots.
The next day--there were now black spots on the top of the leaves.

#1--This is from 2008. Notice the nice-looking leaves...
#2--A couple days ago--leaves turning yukky.
#3--Back of a leaf showing spots (mites?)-There were more of them the day before.
#4--Now developing black spots and drying up. (see picture #1).
#5--MG Picotee training up on my railings.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57587/

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9223464

WOW! The above 5 pictures went in 30 seconds!!!

More flower shots:

#1--right corner of my small front door bed.
#2--Kitchen side bed--Dr. Seuss on the left--The pot of MG Picotee in white pot on right.
#3--Bed by old tree stump--always has a BIG pot on top. Coming along...
#4--Self-seeded Dwarf Red Coreopsis growing on top of Bleeding Heart stems.
#5--Red, tall, perennial Hibiscus.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9223471

WOW! 20 seconds!!!

Last ones--
Picked these up at Lowes yesterday for $1 each.
Was hoping these were the perennial Salvia--but it did not say so anywhere on the tag.
Will have to assume they are annual then. One has a small, new bloom stem coming...
I am hoping they will bloom some more before cold weather sets in.

The tag just says " Black and Blue Salvia".

White, Perennial Hibiscus.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9223858

'Black & Blue' is a perennial salvia, but it's pretty tender. Some people have had success bringing the dormant root inside for the winter (I don't seem too good at that). You may also be able to try a sheltered spot & pile on the mulch.

Gita, sorry to say your "paprika" does look like spider mites to me. Darn, just when it was really taking off!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9224019

Thanks, Jill!

OH, I know it was Spider Mites--NOT in denial!
Just from the effects on the leaves--it was a dead giveaway. Besides--my Garden has them all over.

Oddly, they do not always appear that orange...Hmmmmm
Usually--they are little, DARK specks. These were in-your-face-orange. Like a HD apron...
Maybe--because the leaves were so light green..the red was more prominent.
Who knows????

Found a spray can of "ORTHO Rose Pide Orthonex Insect and Disease Control".
It had mites on the label. Sprayed everything as best i could get to it...as spraying the undersides
of the leaves was the priority. MAN! That stuff was stinky!

We will see! My Dr. Seuss seems to be recovering somewhat. Decent new growth coming from the tips.
Lets hope the SM's have gone for now. SHOOOOO!

The pink NOID Brug is really affected--BUT--the Maya Brug--just 5' from it, seems not affected at all.
Maya has variegated leaves. Wonder it they "taste" different to the SM ????

Now to see if my MG "Picotee" leaves will recover...I want to see it bloom! Love its flowers!

Ain't gardening fun?????...:o(

Watered my WHOLE Yarden today--one area at a time-- with 2 separate sprinklers.

I guess I will have to dig in my new Salvias on the S. side of my garden and throw a pile of leaves on them.
But--for $1--it will be what it will be. I DO want them to be perennial...

You say--"Bringing in the dormant root". Does that mean let the tops die off and then bring in the pots for the winter?
What care should they have if i do this? Let them be? Water now and then? Advice is welcome.

Thanks--Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2012

Post #9224093

Yes, with the black & blue salvia the tops will die back in winter... some people say dig & bag, or bring in the pot, or treat like geraniums (which I've also had no luck in overwintering). I'm 0 for 2 on black & blue salvia, sure hope I have better luck with a couple other tender salvias I got this year from Richard Dufresne, the self-styled "Sultan of Salvias" (but it ain't bragging if it's truth, right?).
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9246075

Holly, here are some First Daughter Musa pics. She's about 9 feet tall and has a new tiny pup. Did you know that bananas have two different kinds of pups?

It's a jungle out there!

Third pic is of Black Stem taro spathe...all of mine are blooming. Glad I was able to keep them watered so far this year.

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9246174

Beau-ti-ful
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9246180

Coleup, can you explain what you mean by 2 different kinds of pups?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9246287

No I didn't know about the two types of pups and I also would love to know more about that.
I was sitting outside in the gazebo yesterday admiring my banana, it is looking really good.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9246418

Here is a link to a very good article on 'Bananas" geared towards growing them successfully in Zone 7 Answers many questions. Unfortunately it isn't the link about the two kinds of pups, but I'm still looking for same

http://www.plantdelights.com/Banana-Trees-for-the-Garden/products/494/

Pics below are ones I saved from the references about different kinds of pups. As you can see from the drawing, the first pup is the maiden follower and replaces the main plant as it dies after flowering. Then there are 'swords' and 'peepers' or water sprouts, too, Musa type Bananas like to colonize, while Ensetes go it alone and rarely send up offshoots.

This should hold us til I get back in an hour or so... Judy coleup

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 10:00 AM

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

August 19, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9246659

I just want to peep in here and give my admiration for all of you. I cannot get myself to buy tropicals. I am sad when I see them, all fat and pretty in the nurseries, and know that they will not last without considerable effort (and you have to have the proper over-wintering "home"), nor will they ever look as nice as when I bought them. They just do not work for me. And I am happy that you all have success!

As for me, I'm sticking with evergreens. And veggies - veggies, I can rationalize buying and growing, as their season is finite, pretty much. That I can deal with! I send you my best!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9250593

Grayce.
I hear ya. I inherited my tropicals from the local nursery that grew them and many others where I worked until they closed and moved to Florida. None of the tropicals I have require very much care or special treatment at all other than to keep them from freezing to death in the winter...bring em in in late fall and out again when nite temps stabilize around 50 degrees, water them, feed them, and watch them grow! Rinse, repeat. And, for me, each new kind of plant I get to know opens new worlds of wonder and to appreciate other ways of being in the world. Maybe my tropicals demonstrate exuberance and the ability to grow beyond expectations and to stay alive in a 'jungle' and other such lessons from time to time...Stop by the swap at sallyg's and I'll 'loan' you one on approval or trade for some home grown veggies! I know nothing about evergreens!

Speaking of sallyg and swap just wanted to post some pics of a tropical hibiscus named "Haight Ashbury' that sally is offering cuttings of this fall. Go Sally!

Plant,,,bloom...leaves.

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup      

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9250679

Um, well, yes it IS the cutting from your Haight Ashbury--but mine has at this point become pretty much solid maroon. I may have , with cuttings, retained a reverted marooon piece. You''l see the full size maroon from which the cuttings are taking nicely. Or maybe I need to give it full sun?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9250723

Interesting sally. I love the purple leafed also. Are the blooms still as dark? Don't know what difference more or less sun would make. My haight seemed a bit more resistant to bug nibbles than the purple...Will be fun to see a desendant!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9250892

It bloomed once, under lights last winter, on a tip that must have had a bud. I think it was a lighter color, which looked nice with dark leaves, Unless it could be lighter due to being inside at the time.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9252822

Boy I saw the most amazing tropicals all over Hersheypark the other day. Coleus, caladiums, begonias and more in planters and hanging baskets, I o wonder who kept all those things watered in the heat this summer, whew. And yes I sure wanted top grab some low hanging coleus branches in the parking area but we didn't pass them on the way out...

Now THIS I do not find attractive
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/165801/

I'll grant unusual, but in a 'genetically disturbed' way. Like it's messed up. sheesh.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9253122

Sally, My neighbor that you met at the Plant Swap. The one that came over later in the day. Think he was the one you called Hunky. He works for Hershey Gardens. They do have an amazing amount of Tropicals that they use at the park I have often wondered what they do with them at the end of the season. I will have to ask him if he has any idea.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9253130

Dream Job (for a dreamy guy LOL) !

Boy if he can just score you a FEW of the caladiums and ees they are surely going to trash...And those huge planters, just a couple would supply me with slightly used potting soil for a year. I'm willing to bet it all goes to a dump.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9253149

ROAD TRIP to Hershey Park on Dump Day! Yes yes, please see what Hunky can find out. I bet they have a good set of greenhouses behind the scenes, but I'm sure there's a lot of stuff they don't bother to rescue & overwinter... and it sure would be easy to store caladium & EE bulbs!

LOL those 'Stingray' Alocasia were in quite a few exhibits at the Philly show this year... fitting, as the theme was Hawaii... Holly & I thought they were pretty cool, but maybe they had to "fit in" with their surroundings... they'd look quite natural swarming around a tiki statue or a coral reef styled planting!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9253158

When you think about the side issues that corporates types see. - I think Hunky is lucky if he can sneak out a box for 'personal use' Anyhoo.

Stingray Alocasia--Well, maybe they don't photograph well!
I looked again today and till think they're just -- whatchacallit--- Deformed! lol
I can see where they WOULD look better with Tiki guys and other weird primitive art. DH and I liked the Tiki guys that sang in the Polynesian thing at Disneyworld. They probably haven't changed that in the 20plus years since.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9253238

Wow coleus and C H O C O L A T E. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://blog.pennlive.com/go/2007/08/hersheys_secret_gardens.html
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9253359

Dream job!!! I could get paid in chocolate!!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9253498

Coleup, what a fun article! I haven't been to Hershey Park in ages -- not since I became interested in gardening. Next time I go, I'll definitely be paying attention to the plants!

I can't imagine they overwinter all those aroids. Man, I'd love to get my hands on them...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9254680

Behnkes had caladiums priced at $1 and $2 a few weeks ago. I had to grab a few...can't beat that deal.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9255266

Gracye - late responding but just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in (course that leaves me with zero sense...LOL). I have down sized my tropicals quite a bit but the ones that I do have simply get brought into my living room and bathroom and get thrown water on when I think about it. There are some that require VERY little care and are so rewarding with their fragrances i.e. Maid of Orleans jasmine. All of mine are in pots

ALL: there seems to be mixed thoughts on the hardiness of Tuberoses. I've not had any come back that were put in the ground although I've been told they 'can' be hardy to 7A. For those of you that don't mind pulling up and storing of their clusters I wanted to let you know that the double Tuberose clusters I purchased from ebay seller caladium_bulbs_for_less (depsite my planting them very late) already have 3 bud shoots up. I'm extremely happy about this!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9255603

I just love the Tuberose, I got some a few years ago from Bill. I just love his plants I would encourage anyone that hasn't visited the site to do so. Well, I was careless with the ones I tried to overwinter but John & Ruby gave me some this year so I once again have them. I did put them in a mixed pot near the bathtub pond and the smell is just so wonderful I do need to get more for next year so I can once again have some in the sitting area buy the Gazebo. I will have to check out Bill's site to see the double Tuberose.
Here is one of my Tuberose, I also have this really pretty grass. I was thinking I would collect seed heads to sow next year but so far they haven't put up any seed heads. I might end up trying to dig up the plant cutting it back and dividing it into several small pots and see if I can keep it going over the winter. It's a PW Graceful Grasses® Vertigo® a Pennisetum purpureum hardy to Zone 8.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9256243

I've been sniffing my Tuberoses every night for few weeks. thanks again John! And I will store them for winter.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9256668

See what happens when I procrastinate? Y'all get to enjoy yours sooner...LOL. That grass has a gorgeous color, Holly!! Can you give me the link if Bill has a site outside of his ebay store, please? You and Sally both were lucky to score the single tuberoses. I diligently looked for singles after the swap but when I did find one or two sellers the prices were beyong (incl shipping) what I'd pay for them. I was happy for these big clusters of the doubles though. I'm hoping to get some singles next year. A pot of 'fragrance' was my mom's day gift to my mom! DD was sweet enough to take it down and plant them up for her. Dug up one of my white butterfly gingers and sent down the tuberoses. I would think she'd have an amazing scent filling the air between Aug and Sept. Ahhhhhh!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9257486

I can't remember from last year, Bill either posted a Classified Add on DG or sent me an Email telling me he wasn't doing an add but as a past buyer he would give me a special discount. When / if I get something like that again this year I will let you know. He is a really nice person and you can always email him with questions and things. Since my LapTop crashed I lost a lot of old emails and other things I had saved in there.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9257524

So I'm out of the loop or missed something, we have a good source for Tuberoses?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9257561

John and Ruby brought some to the Spring Swap. Not sure where they got them or how many they might have. For years I have been getting some very nice plants at good prices from Bill at Caladium Bulbs For Less.
My Caladium, Portadora and first Tuberose came from him.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9257587

I'm not sharing mine==yet anyway LOL!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9257705

Ha ha..

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9257823

Fine Sally be that way!!! LOL Holly - I believe John knows a vendor at the marketplace he sells plants at locally and managed to score a few single clusters. Terp I've purchased various tuberose clusters through the years and the ones I purchased from 'Bill' aka caladium_bulbs_for_less on ebay this year were if not the biggest - tied for the biggest clusters I've rec'd to date.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 12:32 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9257893

Great thanks for the help everyone

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9265360

I really need to get my camera outside instead of the cell...but for now...let me share the heaven like fragrance of my deck (you'll have to use your imagination)
1. Tabernaemontana divaricata 'Flore Pleno' - Sally's new baby in a couple of weeks
2. Lakeview Jasmine - covered in blooms...ahhhhh
3. Double Tuberose - getting ready to fill the air
4. Sweet Almond - with her subtle sweet scent
5. NBC - given by Gita - wait for it...I love these night scented beauties
5. NBJ - couldn't get a pic of the ones fully open...one of my all time favorite scents

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9265363

Least we forget the wonderful Bouvardia longiflora with its amazing fragrance. I might be able to bring a few cuttings to the swap for those that want to give this baby a try.
And the dear Datura providing probably the last flush and then seeds for the season...love the scent that fills the air at night!!

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9265366

Wow it must smell wonderful there!!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9265370

It does Sally...very therapeutic...and here's Gita's NBC...my counting skills need fine tuned, I believe

Thumbnail by Chantell

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9265463

Interesting they are all white. So do you think nature gives white flowers more scent to make up for lack of color?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9265529

Maybe they are pollinated by night time pollinators and so white would definitely be the best color to be seen at night.? They sure do glow on a moon light night!

I remember 'Doc" posting a series of comments and photos of when his Night Blooming Ceresis bloomed. How exciting Chantell.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9265620

All of my night scented blooms are white except for the old fashion deep purple petunia which I adore!! The jasmines (except NBJ) smell yummy regardless of time of day. The 'Flore Pleno' Tab I'm bring Sally is day scented as well but a much more subtle scent than the others.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9265697

Chantelle---

How long ago did I give you that NBC?

Nice bud! Now--keep looking at it--when it curls upward in a fish-hook matter--
it is going to bloom very soon. Good job!

BTW--I know you did not ask, but i will be bringing you a potted, in bloom August Lily Hosta.
I had to dig it up from a doomed bed. yes! It is very fragrant...close up.
Do you have one already? Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9265716

[quote="coleup"]Maybe they are pollinated by night time pollinators and so white would definitely be the best color to be seen at night.? They sure do glow on a moon light night!

I remember 'Doc" posting a series of comments and photos of when his Night Blooming Ceresis bloomed. How exciting Chantell.[/quote]

Here is the link to Doc's thread on NBC blooming. He originally got his from Gita! Enjoy. Good thing you are a niteowl!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1215694/

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9266249

Nite owl? Me? LOL Funny how that works out for me, eh? Chloe found the beginnings of a 2nd bud on that same plant, Gita! How exciting! I had a HUGE pot of 2-3 different NBC...it simply got too big as much as I enjoyed those blooms. Had to find a home for it - a previous neighbor has my old one in an even bigger pot now!! Gita this was what you'd brought for the gift table at Holly's and Ric's. I saw it still sitting there and thought...I really miss those wonderful blooms...both for photographing as well as fragrance - so I snatched it up!! As for that Hosta...wow! Thank you. I actually do not have a single hosta. I tried to find ones everyone mentioned as being fragrant a couple of years ago and simply gave up the search!! If she needs shade - I shall put her to the side of my Daphne!! Add on: I just looked that hosta up, Gita...WAAAAAWHOOOOO...THAT sounds PERFECT

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 7:02 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9266490

Coming YOUR way--very soon...Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9266529

Nice pic, Gita...I'm gonna love that plant!!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9270563

Gita - stepped out on my deck last night to let the dogs out and was welcomed with that beautiful lily-like scent I remembered - turned my head and YUP your baby's bud had bloomed - waaaaawhoooooo!!! Took Doc's advice and snapped some pics with my cell phone this am (last night with actual camera) - see below...

Thumbnail by Chantell

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9270629

Very nice! Is it an EPI?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012

Post #9270664

Yes, Terp - a Night Blooming Cereus. I used to have this and 1-2 other night blooming ones. THIS is the one I remember having that beautiful scent. The other(s) which had thinner 'petals' didn't have much scent if any as I recall.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9270678

Chantelle----

Congrats! It is just breathtaking!!!

Now--If I would have kept that pot--it would have just sat there...
What's your secret????

Same as I gave Bec my really big one--had had it for 6 years or something.
Never did anything but grow those long, skinny strms.

Bec took it out of mercy---and it bloomed for her that same summer.
I guess I am "jinxed" with some plants...:o)
Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9270726

I've seen your plants Gita - you're far from 'jinxed' - LOL. This one was just ready to bloom this summer, I bet. I put her where the other huge pot had been. They seem to like that bright filtered light there. She got watered when the jasmines got their drink. I didn't even repot her - figured she liked where she was.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9270828

Talking about Tropicals-----------------

A fellow gardener at HD brought me 2 fruit-pods for Passion Flowers.
One is white--the other purple.
The "fruit/seedpods are the size and color of a lime.

I am asking for any advice from anyone on this plant.

1--How and when should I attempt to seed these fruit? The fruits have slight softness to the feel.
Like when a Peach starts to ripen.
2--What should i do with the seeds? Will take pictures--of the "process"
3--How should I attempt to germinate these seeds?
4--When should I plant them? I do not think that I will want any in my garden--but I need to look
in PF to see what they look like and how they grow. May just be the next "craze" from me. Figs are IT this year...

She also brought me two "seed capsules" from a Bald Cypress. She had never seen her's seed...
I have no clue either. These "pods" are the size of a grape and quite hard.

Think I better take a picture...YIKES! Looks like a sinister Smiley Face . Kind of eerie...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9270869

I was told (don't remember by who) when I picked mine at that stage that I picked them prematurely...that I should've left them on the vine (I gather like we would a Datura) till they turn a brown-ish color; other wise the seeds might mold. Gita if no one knows here on MAG, I'd try the Passi forum http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/passifloras/all/ I have Passis that have grown from seed in my yard but that was via Mother Nature's hands not mine. Interested to know what type those smaller seed pods are. You do realize that Sally and I would love to share unlimited rooted passis with you...then you wouldn't even have to bother with the seeds...LOL ^_^

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9270980

It is so refreshing to read posts on this thread. Chantell and Gita you are so special. I just finished packing and shipping to 6 different states starter plants. I had 20 to go today and I just got back from the Post Office and sat down with a coke and FF and some McDonald chicken nuggets. I was so hungry and so tired I could have eaten almost anything, but I settled for McDonalds. UGH...more cholesterol than I needed today but what the Heck.

What I was getting to was I sat down to notify the people I was shipping to and came to the thread to see what was going on when I found your last few posts. You know, we are all such lovers of plants and growing them that it shows in most everything we do and say. I think people like us are truly at peace with themselves and enjoy watching these wonderful plants grow and thrive under our care. The world is falling apart and we are wondering how to start seeds. Isn't that wonderful?????? We have found our safe haven and take advantage of it all the time.
It is so great to find others as content with their hobbies as I am. Love you guys and what you do for other people.
Have a good day, I must get back to work., or should I say Play. It is truly a labor of love. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9271156

JB---
I totally understand your philosophy---and totally agree...You are something else!!!!

I just came in too...been outside 5 hours straight--My back is killing me!!! Trying to arrange everyone's "haves"
into some kind of order. Once more--I have about 8-9 boxes full...plus a lot of other stuff that still has to be taken along...

I know it is early--only Monday--but it has been so heavy on my mind to get this done. I think about it in my sleep!
Now all the plants will have to make friends with each other all jammed in the same box.

So--I am sitting here also eating home baked chicken wings...yum! Got a deal at Safeway this morning.
Love their little clearance areas! Before that--I had to be at my garage for an oil change by 8AM.
Then home with 9lbs of Chicken wings--to clean and prep and bake...They went in the oven at noon--and I went outside.

Now I am on DG to check everything twice. I know I may have forgotten something...Phew!!!Done for the evening!

Did you all hear tonight will be in the mid-40's???? Wow! Fall is here--BAM! All my "haves" trays are jammed
on my big, round picnic/work table. Hope nothing gets damaged!
OK! Gonna do some sit-down stuff the rest of tonight...except have to put all the ch. wings into something
and than in the fridge--and then have to clean the 2 cookie sheets II baked them on. ... etc...etc...NOT a sit-down job!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9271259

Gita seriously, look at my passion flower vines Saturday before you even let those seeds out of their pods.
#1 you can dig a whole plant and take it
#2- those things sprout up all over!!!! You WILL curse me in two years. Think Grandpa Ott..Except that CHantell and I agree, it is a delicate vine and very easy to strip off of whatever it has grown all over and through

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9271333

OK! Thanks! I will let Tammy know. Man! Can she haul in the garden!!! Has already been recognized twice--
and they just hired her this season. She is a real workhorse and a serious gardener to boot.

She is the one who gave these to me...G.

Should I peek inside the Bald Cypress seed pods?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9271731

I brought some of my most tender plants in last night and my house is a mess trying to find places for everything.
I am not finished house cleaning and did not want to bring them in until I was, but that ended suddenly when the temps dropped to the 40s. Tonight the others will go in the greenhouse. I can not believe this time of year is here already.

You all sound like you are going to have a real blast at your swap meet. I do wish I was younger and could participate but there are some things I just can not do anymore. I will be thinking about you. Gita, you will need to buy a truck if you keep producing the way you do and your plants are just wonderful. Everything you ever sent me did so well with the exceptions of a few cuttings and that is expected. I can't wait to send pictures of some of them.

Have a good day and watch for that first frost. UGH! JB

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 9:38 AM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9271735

Well, good news, JB. There will be a get together at my house in Salem County, not too far from you next May 18. Would love to see you there.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9271744

That is so sweet Jan, but with my very few physical problems, I still stay pretty close to home. Who knows, I may just get someone to drive me if I can still function. LOL Thanks so much for the invite. You are all so special. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9271749

JB,

Mt small CC's are all growing so well since I put them in 4"pots.
I have some marked as pink and some as white--some as pink with white,
These are all guesses as I was just going by what was on the racks at Lowes as
I gathered the broken off pieces. I KNOW there will be some pinks.

Would you like some once i see them bloom and will know the color for sure?
They all sit by my front door. There is a small, old entry light that is on all night.
I keep wondering if this may cause them not to bloom? Not the darkness they need...

Gotta run. have a dentist's appointment in an hour. Take care---Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9271861

JB, surely somebody will be able to give you a ride... please plan to come, and we'll deal with the logistics at swap time!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9271877

Critter, thanks so much. We will see...there are other issues I have and do not want to discuss them on here. I do appreciate your kindness and friendship.

Gita, SURE...SEND THEM ON. REMEMBER, ANY CC COLORS ANYONE WANTS GIVE ME A YELL. IF I HAVE IT I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE. THEY WILL BE CUTTINGS UNLESS I HAVE PLENTY ROOTED.

Must go to eye doctor. My one good eye is questionable regarding blindness. That is one of my big issues. Keep on Praying. JB
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9272390

Will do, JB. Hugs

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9272482

prayers heading your way JB - hugs

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9272926

All went well at eye doctor, thanks for the prayers and support. My sight has not changed and we are doing a 6 week log of side effects (from the really important drops I need to keep my eye healthy). All is well and now I am off to walk the dog, feed the birds and cats, check the greenhouse because the temp went down to the 50s last night. I am wondering if I should be bringing in the camellias this week just to be on the safe side. They had a wonderful summer producing and I do not want to loose them. We will see.

Must go find something to sniff and give me some energy this morning. LOL Jasmine will do it I feel sure. Later. JB
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9273220

Good to hear!! Yep, jasmine will do the trick quite nicely!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9273258

Jasmine ALWAYS does the trick... ^_^

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9274063

Sad day...all the plants are in the greenhouse and in the bird room and every other room in the house. LOL.

I have to leave the Salmon Hibiscus outside to live or die this winter. It is just too big. If anyone in my area wants this beauty you may have it if you pick it up. It is healthy, still blooming and has given me cuttings that I have sold for years. I JUST DO NOT HAVE ROOM FOR IT AND IF I PUT IT IN THE BARN I KNOW I WILL FORGET TO WATER IT. I AM SO SAD because I know it will not survive if it gets really cold. Call me at 609-577-8867 if you want to come and get this big girl. SHE WILL NOT FIT IN A TRUNK OF A CAR UNLESS YOU TAKE HER OUT OF THE POT SHE IS IN NOW. IT NEEDS TO BE TRANSPLANTED BUT AGAIN, IT IS JUST TOO BIG FOR ME NOW AND A BIGGER POT WOULD ONLY ADD TO MY PROBLEMS. It is a tropical hibiscus. Here is a picture.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9274068

Oh JB - someone will give that pretty an appreciative home...I'm sure!!! If you don't get a response 'here' - go over to one of the other MAG threads at the top of the list (non-swap related ones)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9274085

I hope someone in South Jersey has a place for it. It is such a big plant and so heavy I just can not ship it anyplace.
I have kept it trimmed back but it still keeps growing. It stays outside from April until October but then we are pushing our luck here at the farm because it gets really cold. I have it sitting between the AC and the deck in a corner where it gets only Morning sun for now. It was out in full sun, partial sun, late afternoon sun, it just seems to love almost anyplace you put it if you keep it watered and keep it in a big enough pot. I think it would fit in a muck bucket for a few years if you cut holes in the muck bucket. That was going to be my next for it, but the Aimees took up so much room in the GH that this has to go. Pass the word around if you will please.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9274612

Chantell, The NBC is really beautiful. Good catch.
Gita, I looked up instructions on Passion Fruit a few years ago when mine fruited but I really don't remember what I did and I don't think anything came of the seeds.
JB always so nice to see you posting, even when things aren't working quite like we would like. I sure hope you will be able to make the swap next spring. It would be so very nice.
Good news, Ric is heating the GH this winter. WHOOPIE!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 28, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9317782

Dang, see the things a person misses when they don't read threads for months at a time? JB, did you find a new home for the hibiscus? I really hate to think of the beautiful thing dieing off. Oh well, you tried at least, and if I had read this earlier than today, I may have taken you up on the offer. I am sure I could have sqeezed it in here somewhere. Oh well...live and learn.

Paul, as for the tuberoses, we might be able to get some for you. We have a friend who orders crates of them each season. He might be willing to sell a few to us if you are still interested. Let me know and we can speak with Al.

All others, as always, great to read the reports of your pretties. I am a bit envious when I hear of others having blooming success with plants that I seem to have no luck in getting to bloom. A while back, at least a month or so ago, I meant to snap a picture and show the group a picture of a blooming Swedish Ivy that I received from Gita. I cannot recall if I have ever seen them bloom before or not. Anyway, I was quite excited because it has been a long enough time that I had forgotten if I had seen one or not. That too was a great treat.

i am enjoying having my houseplants indoors and tending them. I noticed last night that the ones under the grow lights will need a drink of water today. Will have to add that to my to do list.

Hope that everyone has a safe and uneventful week coming up. The weather reports are not good, but a girl can hope, can't she?

Ruby

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9317911

Yes, Ruby the hibiscus is at my neighbor's farmers market in the greenhouse being used for stock next year. LOL
Thanks for asking. Off to get ready for the storm. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9318179

Ruby--

Swedish ivy blooms about this time of year. I generally pinch the blooms off,
as the small petals, when they dry, all fall down and make a mess.
Really, really close-up. each of the little blooms looks very pretty.

My big HB starts blooming when i bring it in. Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9318479

All tropicals inside as of tonight with the exception of 3 large ones that will come in mid week. They are laying on their sides and protected...just hadn't made the room yet. And should any of you hear me talking about finding another citrus plant at a good price PUHLEZ remind me that I have plenty...sheesh!!!

JB - please report in and let us know you're doing ok...Holly - you too!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9318508

I put my big containers against the side of the house (still on the deck)... I hope they'll be sheltered enough there. I was all set to bring everything, and then I realized this would be wet/windy weather, but not *cold* weather, and the plants would probably be happier outside for a couple more weeks. I did bring in the hanging baskets!

Gita, my swedish ivy is blooming also, bigger clusters of blooms than I remember seeing on any in the past... I'm letting it bloom, because the flowers have such a delicate beauty -- close up, like you said.

The main part of the storm system is now "scheduled" to pass us by... an improvement over yesterday's models that showed the "eye" right over Frederick on Tuesday, but not such an improvement if you live in Atlantic Beach, I suppose. Hoping everybody stays safe and gets through it with minimal damage.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9318510

All quiet here so far. Everything is inside, gazebo top has been taken in and all the garden art as well.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9327917

Great resource 'sticky' on overwintering EEs, etc.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/773186/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9327956

Holly wrote:
All quiet here so far. Everything is inside, gazebo top has been taken in and all the garden art as well.

May be a good time to move this Thread on. Whacha think?????

You could still keep it under the "Tropicals" umbrella---Maybe winter care?
Bug issues and treatments? Gnats, Mealy Bugs, Whiteflies, Scale, etc...
Light levels and indoors issues?
Dormancy periods? Yes or No?
Looking after cuttings?

And so on. Just seems like a good time to break into another aspect of Topicals.

Thanks, Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 9, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9328703

Thanks for the link coleup.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9328761

Ruby et al
Maybe by this weekend I will finally post a new thread on overwintering our tropical babies in the Mid Atlantic. I'd like it to be a sort of survey of our group of what 'tropicals' we each grow and whet works or doesn't for each of our situations in keeping them alive or viable until our weather tropics up again next year.

Like we do with swaps, each person can reserve a space for their responses, and techniques/tips/ etc. and then we can discuss and question and explore various ways and plants that work for all of our future reference together including bugs/pests/ and diseases.

How does this sound to every one?

(Was hoping to do this sooner but had to postpone due to Sandy and other life happening on the way! Will be one of my winter projects to pull it all together if no one minds and there is participation (beyond me talking to myself lol as if that was even a remote possibility!)

Here is a link to the thread. Reserve your space now! Let the adventure begin.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287323/

Judy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America