Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
snk27052
Schiller Park, IL

June 24, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9178598

Hello, please help me with information what is eating the leaves of my lilac. Looks like leaf-cutter bees, but I haven't seen any bees around and there is white substance at the edge of the holes that looks like bacteria. I haven't noticed the holes before ( I water the lilac regularly) so it is possible that all the holes appeared within the last couple of days.
thank you in advance!

Thumbnail by snk27052
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Choc5

July 4, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9193035

been searching the internet to find an answer to the same question,
my lilac tree is just the same...help !!!!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9193262

The holes do look like leafcutter bees, I wouldn't worry about them. They don't harm plants and are beneficial to have around, and they're also only active chewing leaves for a short period of time while they build their nests. But your leaves also look a little curled & droopy which would not be due to the leafcutters & could indicate a different problem--not sure what though. Can you post some additional pictures of the plant?
snk27052
Schiller Park, IL

July 7, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9196443

well, after the rain the white substance disappeared so it seems it is really a leaf cutter bee. As for the curled up leaves - these particular branch is dying, but the rest of the tree is ok. I appreciate that the bees ate the most from the dying branch :)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9196978

The white stuff you saw around the edges was probably just a bit of dried up leaf "juice" (for lack of an appropriate botanical word for it) that oozed out a bit when the leaf was chewed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America