Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Houseplants: What is the difference between these two plants?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 15, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MadsHilde
Randers
Denmark

June 24, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9178681

My mom and dad have got the big leafed plant, guess it's a monestra deliciosa or philodendron pertusum, can't remember the difference.

Well, I have got this small leafed plant with many more leafs, why are those two plants so alike yet so different?

Thumbnail by MadsHilde   Thumbnail by MadsHilde   Thumbnail by MadsHilde
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9178694

It is my understanding that the difference is the age of the plant. Monstera deliciosa starts out in its juvenile form with smaller leaves which lack the deep 'cuts' of the more mature plant. When it's grown in an area where it can be planted in the ground or at least stay outside, it is more likely to reach the mature form.
MadsHilde
Randers
Denmark

June 24, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9178697

Yeah, alright...so I should expect my plant to get like my parents one day? We live in Denmark, so the plants have and will never be planted out in the garden.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9178726

Theoretically, yes, to a degree. The 2 plants may be different cultivars, so they may never be identical, but I think yours should eventually acquire a similar form, a form with the larger, more deeply cut leaves. However, this all depends on your ability to keep it healthy and alive that long, and I don't know how long that will take. My guess is that your parents may have started out with the more mature plant.

I think most of the houseplants of this type probably end up dead (for one reason or another) long before they reach a more mature form. People loose interest or get busy and forget to tend to them or stick them in too dark a corner such that they get leggy, etc, etc. Not saying that you can't keep it alive and healthy for years, just that we humans don't often keep our focus that long.

I would suggest you do some research on monstera deliciosa, online perhaps to see if you can find more in depth information on the subject. I did a very quick, cursory look hoping to get lucky but don't have time to do it justice. Wish I did. Have to get some housework done. Maybe later. Best Wishes!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9179378

Here is the Plant Files link for this plant: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1204/

This link shows philodendron pertusum as a synonym, which is what I saw on numerous web pages. Monstera deliciosa is the correct botanical name though.

If you look at the photos at the link above, you will see some which look like yours included along with those that look like your parents' plant. The leaves can eventually reach widths of 3ft or more, although probably not without being outside or at least in a greenhouse.

Hope this helps.
MadsHilde
Randers
Denmark

June 25, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9179638

Thanks for your replies. I will take good care of my plant and see what will happens.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9179773

You're very welcome. Glad to help.

I also found the following page very helpful. It discusses the juvenile & mature leaf issue & indicates you may only have to wait a few years to see the mature leaves begin to form. (I just wasn't sure as to timeline.) Near the bottom of the page at this link is a recipe for what they believe is the best potting medium for this plant. Good soil, proper watering, and proper lighting are among the most important things for the health and longevity of the plant. Link: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Monstera%20deliciosa%20large%20pc.html

Wishing you (and the monstera) the best of luck.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9179916

Quote from Wiki: "Wild seedlings grow towards the darkest area they can find until they find a tree trunk, then start to grow up towards the light, creeping up the tree."

So the fact that your (fantastic looking!) plant is growing on a support is good in regard to obtaining a mature form of this ephiphyte.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

June 25, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9179930

one of the cultivars is much smaller the borgnasia (not spelled right) that may be what you have. personally I have both and the smaller is much more dense in its foilage and is quite attractive. may notbe impressive like the deliciosa but still gorgeous.
MadsHilde
Randers
Denmark

June 25, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9180158

Thanks guys.

The soil it's planted in I have made myself with normal soil in a bag, lots of barkchips and perlite. As of now, it thrives and is producing lots of new leafs and roots. The picture above is a bit old. It has a much bigger pot now. I'm quite happy with the plant and think it looks great, but I would really like to have one which gets these BIG leafs.

Would it be possible to, ehh, what is it called when one takes a small bit of another plant and make it grow in another pot? But, would that be possible with my parents plant?

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9180293

While borsigiana is listed as being smaller, it's leaves still grow to 2ft in width (as opposed to 3ft for the species). I will post pics later.

It's great to hear that your plant is doing well. Sounds like you have the right combination of lightening, soil, water, etc.

It is possible to reproduce the plant from a stem cutting. However, air layering would be much 'safer'. With a cutting, there is something of a race condition between the time needed for the cutting to make life sustaining roots and the time when the leaves of the cutting wilt and die due to the lack of roots. If it is unable to make roots before the leaves die, the rooting process will likely fail, and you will need to start over with another cutting. Each successive attempt thus whittles away at the stem of the parent plant.

With air layering, you induce/encourage part of the plant to make roots without actually severing that part from the original or parent plant (until after the roots have been produced). Air layering is extremely easy and successful with most vines, because they are inclined by nature to produce new roots anywhere the vine/stem comes into contact with soil (among other substances such as bark, leaf mold, etc).

You can research air layering for more info. There are relatively inexpensive air layering kits available; however, you can accomplish it with very common products as follows. Look along the plants stem for the 'joints' where the leaves or leaf petioles emerge. From the top or terminal bud of the plant, you will need to move down the stem far enough to leave at least one healthy leaf in tact. At the point where you plan to do the air layering, remove the leaf from that 'joint'. This is where the new roots will grow.

Most instructions will say to cut a small notch into the plant at this point as further incentive to make roots. As any cut invites invading organisms and rotting and as it should not be necessary with this type of plant, I would strong suggest that you try the process 1st w/o making a cut. If roots do not form, you can always go back in, make the cut, and try again, so there is no downside to trying it 1st w/o the cut.

Soak a large handful of spagnum moss, squeeze gently to remove most of the water. Wrap the spagnum moss around the 'joint'. It should cover the joint completely and extend all the way around the stem 1-2in thick. Cut a piece of plastic wrap large enough to wrap around the stem and spagnum moss. Wrap the plastic wrap around the stem and spagnum moss and secure above and below the moss with twist ties (connect several together as needed), tie wraps, that velcro plant tie stuff, or other product that will hold it securely in place. This should look a bit like those candies that are wrapped with a twist on either side (like a miniature tootsie roll). Keep an eye on the spagnum both to watch for root formation and to make sure it doesn't dry out. When substantial roots are visible through the plastic, sever the stem below the roots, remove the plastic, and pot up the newly rooted cutting.

Some instructions will say to cover the plastic with another material (aluminum foil works well) to block out the light. I've done it both with and w/o the foil and had success both ways. If you use the foil, just be sure to remove it periodically to check to be sure the moss does not dry out.
MadsHilde
Randers
Denmark

June 27, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9183094

Thanks for all the great info in this thread. Has helped me a lot.
Anita83
Colne
United Kingdom

September 7, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9267683

Hi!
I have the same "problem" with my plant as the MadsHilde asked. I bought my plant a year ago. It was describe as a swiss cheese plant. I loked after that name, and I learned that is a monstera. It had got about 4-5 leaves, and it was about 20cm tall. Wasn't any cut or hole on the leaves.
The time passed and it grown well. Not too bushy, but I learned how to make more bushy.
From the begining it produce a lot leaves during the year. Now it has got about 12 leaves.
It hasn't got any cut or hole yet. I heard from other people it may takes 1-2 years to get them.
Half year ago I bought a book about house plants and I found that two similar houseplants which are maybe one of my plant. But I am not sure which is mine.
About Monstera the book sayes its a bigger, but slower grower, one year produce just 1 or 2 leaves. And its more horizontal grower.
About the philodendron pertusum sayes its a climbing philodendron and much more faster than the other, but smaller.
So I think mine is rather philodnendron pertusum than Monstera.
Its not problem, i happy with it, just I wonder which is mine. And I would ask MadsHilde -because it seems has got same pland as mine- how long does it takes get cuts and holes on the leaves? I try to upload pictures about my lovely plant.
(Sorry for my english I just speak a little bit)
The first picture was take after buying, and the following twos show the leaf closer and roots -for identical the plant- and the last photo is about 4 month old photo.
What do you think? What I have got?

Thumbnail by Anita83   Thumbnail by Anita83   Thumbnail by Anita83   Thumbnail by Anita83   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Vestia
San Francisco, CA

September 10, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9270444

The holes and splits develop when the plant is climbing up a solid surface - give your plants a stout pole, or board to climb on and the splits will appear. Also, very bright light, and a heavy feeding schedule will hurry-up the progress.
MadsHilde
Randers
Denmark

September 14, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9275044

Hey Anita

I bought the plant 120cm high with lots of leafs with holes and splits, so I can't say when it started to grow those leafs, sorry.
Anita83
Colne
United Kingdom

September 28, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9288579

Thanks for the answer. I will give it a stout pole soon as i can. I hope it doesnt take long time to get holes:D If get it, i will tell you, maybe somebody in the future will find this helpful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America