AuthorContent

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9178800

Time for a new thread. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262281/

This is the pattern: http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com/dynamic/?page=Free%20Patterns

We are swapping just the plate. Everyone will do their own background. Also everyone will do their own centers. The pattern calls for the plates to finish at 10". Decide if you want a color scheme or scrappy. Each participant will make 1 plate for each. person, so if we have 12 signed up you will be making 12 plates including your own. Due the end of September.
A slight change of plans...we are now making Dresden plates using pattern of choice. We will still comply with color requests.

SiliOleGma (Karen) I would like Christmas fabrics.

Helenethequeen (Helene) red & white.

Qwilter (Jean) scrappy but not too many dark colors

Catbird (Robin) scrappy all sorts.

Kizmo (Kathy) fall colors: oranges/rust/browns/dk.green/golds/dk.reds.

taters55 (Linda) blues & white.

Quilter5bdsr (Barb) Blue & White.

Heavenscape (Jaye) Bright & scrappy.

Barefoot T (Thunder) Black & white prints, grays & silvers,

abbisgranma (Marion)Scrappy bright spring colors.

Ladydragon5 (Janice) Scrappy batiks

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by siliolegma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9178823

Oh Boy I messed this up. If anyone knows how to get rid of all this empty space, "HELP" please.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9178836

You should be able to just "edit" and backspace all the line feeds out.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9178890

Thank you, thank you. Tried that but didn't think it was working. Did it for longer this time

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9178922

I'm enjoying ALL the pictures... not as much as ACTUALLY participating BUT at least this way I don't fall further behind!! LOL

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9179000

put your curser on the last line you want to keep than hit delete until the spaces are gone. highlight your last edit and delete this the current edit won't delete until next time - hope this helps. Love the picture.

Tell me if you were not a member how could you post. i tried my laptop and didn't remember my password and I could not do anything other than view. My membership was up so I noticed that you can subsc, to only 1 month !?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9179017

sample plate to be christmas pillow.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9179022

I've been in here for many years. I have always been able to post, this is first time I subscribed and only a $5 one because it limited my D-mails unless I joined.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9179246

Helene - you always need a name & password even if you aren't a paying member. The Free accounts can only see some of the forums.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9179555

For what I get from here, I have no problem with a subscription. My friends and I live here and I'd be lost without all of you. Sure worth the price to me...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9179986

Barb, you echoed my sentiments.
I'd be a total recluse without DG!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9180080

If a subscription was the only way, I'd have managed it somehow, and now I could, but before It would have been difficult. This is my home also especially now that I'm alone so much.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9180117

When I first joined DG, Norm was on the road to an area for two weeks at a time with an occasional weekend at home. I swear that DG kept me sane. I lurked for at least two months and then finally had the nerve to post. And it's been a yearly birthday present to me ever since. You all have kept the lonliness away when I was by myself, you have prayed for my dear husband and myself and those prayers have been felt and answered. I have now a collection of quilting blocks that have been made into placemats for those less fortunate than I and the friendships formed and visits and meetings are the most precious thing in the world to me. I thank you all so very much...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9180144

Ditto the sentiments above!! Oh Barb, I lurked for about 6 months before I got the nerve to say something or jump in...then somehow Jaye got hold of me and I thank the good Lord for that every day since!!!! The friendships, the laughter, the tears and then of course, the quilt blocks, fabric and so on...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9180187

same here ^_^ butttt I lurked for about a year...then a swap got me...the rest, as they say...is History...

shopping for a new computer, tyring to find a good deal, have decided I can NOT live with out !!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9180221

Good for you Thunder. How is the water in your area? Perfect weather here to just lock the doors and sit at the machine...oh yes, the hot cup of coffee on the side.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9180385

Isn't it wonderful how we all came to find each other???? I have such wonderful memories now.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9180487

it sure is like holding hands with each other, in church
I now understand - the password is needed for member or non- makes sense. TU

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9180793

got a pretty package from Helene today! Thank you so much, for everything! yes, this board is surely a 'glue' for friendships!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9180967

It's funny how we all come to DG differently. I don't think I did any lurking. It was easier to post and then I'd be updated when there were other posts.. I had only been in one other online community, I still can't seem to get myself around Facebook. Plus, with Facebook, I decided I could not risk having that much of my personal life out there for the public. I don't want my client's contacting me!

I started in the plant and trade forums and then found my way to quilting... then LOOK OUT!!! Kinda hard to explain my connection and friendships to others that have never been involved with a group for this many years.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 25, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9181115

I found all you lovely people when I was recovering from knee surgery and I did not lurk long either. this was and is the warmest and most welcoming group of all I have joined. I too am so greatful for all the friendships I have made here it is wonderful.
Cher

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9181132

apron swap that mittsy created - boom I met 12 nice peeps and then more and less and forever changing, some are constant. NICE

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9181173

REALLY hard to explain to people who have never experienced a warm internet friendship!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9181300

it comes with common grounds, we may think it's adiction to fabric, yarn, cooking, photo's,gardening, books,etc.that brings us together.
Niet, Nein, it's the very soull of the people that reflects through their addictions and speaks, embraces and harnesses us in and this makes us a comfortable group. As diversified as we may be,through education,background ,health,wealth and most interesting age. Do you see. I for one enjoy the humor within.

Divine. Helene

I think Debbi brings the sentiments out in me this AM. She is a mean machine.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9181449

How are you doing with Debbie Helene? Are you in a safe place? Is this affecting your move to NJ? I couldn't believe the pictures of the water spout that I saw. Is that what you were talking about before? We had a small one on a lake here yesterday and it was tossing small boats around like they were nothing... I can't imagine one as big as you get them. Please let us know you are okay when you can. Hugs to you my friend...
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9181509

Is it too late for me to get in on this one? I have never done this pattern before and it looks like a challenge. while I have three quilts in the line for completion by this Fall i have missed doing blocks with all of you. I've missed the conversation, the exchanges about new fabric and our ongoing stashes. Missed seeing what you all are up to and what kind of goodie I will get in return mail...so consider me back!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9181571

Since I've not even started worning on mine, I have no issues with you joining us.

Glad to see you are back.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9181617

Helene and Kathy?Kizmo have both finished theirs. So if they don't mind doing another plate, it's fine with me. Be sure to read the previous thread too so you can see that we are now doing sampler plates. Any number of wedges is OK as long as the plate measures 10 ".
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9181626

I need to decide on the colors for my block and I would love to have scrappy batiks. Love the way the colors look like water colors and mixed should be even better. Hope you all have some in your stash and this wont be a big problem.
I will be at Betty's this weekend and then the next two months are all mine! No vacation plans until end of Sept when I hope to catch up with Barb since we are having a family reunion in New Hampshire's White Mountain. I can't wait for her to show me all those good quilt shops up east.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9181639

Janice!!!! It is so good to see you back with us!!! I am so envious of you and Tink for being able to go to Betty's this year...wanted to so very much but just not possible yet. I have absolutely no problem with you joining...been missing you lady!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9181642

morning All! Nope, I have no problem making more plates, have plenty of my stash left out all over the sewing room! Welcome back Janice!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9181693

As soon as Helene checks in, I'll add you to the list. Scrappy batiks? hmmmmm.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9181710

Janice, are you looking for any particular color theme in your batik? I have blues and greens at the moment...maybe a yellow/gold

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9181734

Welcome back. Did you eve get that DMC embroidery scissor you admired 3 years ago. Hope all is well after all your turbulances.
No prob. I might be late with it because of the move. Color direction pls.! Will make 20 blades. I personally don't like the mixer-upper (as my neighbor carmella would say)

Did want to go to Joanns for the template - Debbi is cramping my style. What a nuisance. Just won't stop 4 days bad before that 2 days just rain - which we needed. I'll make template from Kathy-Kiz.

barb - yes re waterspout. Tornedo scoops up water in it's funnel while above the ocean, then a constant release as it comes ashore ofcourse high winds go with it. Leaving in 3 days and haven't packed. I mean 1/2 a household.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9181766

OK Janice we are a goooooo.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9182000

Janice Hoping the address is still the same as when you moved. yours (20) blades is in the mail.

The only thing I like about this dresden is you know in which direction to iron. And the final look. Cutting and construction has lots to ask for.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9182048

Helene, you are soooo awesome. I know you are busy, busy, busy.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9182306

Yep it's out, It'll be OK with whatever color she chooses -

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9182474

we are very wet, but not underwater...no puddles in the yard. it has been rain, then sun, then rain again...all day. they are saying it will be the same for the next 2-3 days...by then we will probably have some puddles...

still looking for a computer, was not wanting to spend the money as I want to go to north carolina, and south carolina, in september. # one son the soldier has a birthday, and it has been quite a few years since I have been able to spend one with him...# 2 son, the sailor, will be having another graduation!! and I want to go !!! time off from work has been approved.!! some how it will work out?!?

Janice, sew happy to have you join in :) I have no problem with batiks..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9182523

The water is up to the front step of my Studio. If this rain continues I'll have water inside by morning. Everything is up off the floor or in plastic bins.
My entire back yard and most of the front is underwater.

And still the rain continues to come down.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9182624

I hope it slows down soon Jean, you don't need water in your studio. it is NOT an indoor swimming pool.

Janice, SOooooooo good to see you!!! I think of you when I see/use my lovely quilt that you particpated in as a gift.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

June 26, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9182768

OMG fires and floods what a tough year this is. My prayers to all Mother Nature sure seems to be getting angrier every year.
Cher
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9182989

I'd love to be able to send water out to CO.
Rain has stopped & standing water is receeding. Not a clue where it can go with the ground so saturated.
A lot of sun & hot weather in out forecast starting tomorrow. With all the standing water it will be very "steamy" this weekend.
I've not been out to the Studio yet but am hoping for the best - especially since I found my sunporch dry this AM.

Since I can't do any gardening guess I'll be "forced" to sew!!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9183181

My sister who lives south of Arcadia said she got 2" overnight and it is still raining at her place this morning. She also has standing water now and a house full of unhappy cats.

It is a rough job Jean when you can't garden and being "forced to sew" but someone has to do it. LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9183188

Marion, has your sister trying talking to the cats and explaining the concept of "how long can you tread water??"

Forced to sew... I only WISH!!! hehehe
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9183208

ROFLOL at the point Pat, I am sure she has. She has had rain since last Friday and 22 cats. Normally they go out into what she refers to as the "cat yard" but being the "dainty" little things they are...they don't want their feet wet!

Well I must confess I have just made time to sew for the past 2+ weeks. Now I need to stop and clean all my cupboards out so the repair man can repair the water damaged areas. No fun!! No not from Debby, I had a leak under the kitchen sink that wasn't detected until the pipe actually burst...big mess.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9183238

My cats won't even sit in the FL room when it is raining. Rain may blow in thru the screen!!!!! Cinnamon is my grass eater and not happy that we still have none growing near the doors. I will need to carry him to the nice patch we have in the front yard. No way will he put out the effort to walk that far!!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9183244

Thanks for letting me in so late, ladies. I hate to even say that we have had sun, sun, sun and 70-80 degree temps here. The corn really needs the rain as it is up to my chest in so places. The warm weather in April let the farmers get some in early.
Joyce coming tonight and we leave for Toledo and Stacey early tomorrow morning. Traveling with a 21 month old that doesn't sleep in the car will be fun, fun, fun but he is usually a good boy. Hope so this time.
I just finished and sent to the quilter a quilt for my son and DIL that live in Findlay. It was all boxes made from 40 different batiks and I grew to love every one of them, so any color you make the plate will be fine with me. If you have just certain colors, use them, and if you want them mixed that will work, too.
I found a purse pattern that has a front pocket for an I-Pad or E-Reader and a ton of pockets inside. I've made two and Stacey has picked out enough fabric for at least a different one each month! I'll make some for the Christmas bazaar here too.
Next in line are a pair of curtains for Stacey's sewing room, a civil war quilt for my friend the civil war buff, a Christmas quilt for my daughter, and an all navy and white quilt for a neighbor. Should keep me busy for a while!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9183389

YAHOO! I got my machine back from the shop yesterday! It was gone for over a week. Now once I finish one quilt I need to get done, I can start on these plates.
I'm thinking of putting the ones I get onto a dark or black background.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9183396

Robin - glad to hear you are sewing again. I know how "out of sorts" I was when my machines were packed away. I find it so relaxing to jsut sit & sew.
I do have to get some curtains made for the new laundry room.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9183636

Janice, did you get your magazine and was it the correct pattern?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9184733

I'm about to start making plates. Does anyone have a definite choice as to which plate they prefer? I'm happy with any one for mine.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9185108

I prefer the 20, but will take whatever you are comfortable making!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9185161

Surprise me!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9185205

I have no preference either. I'm happy with whatever I get.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9185228

Whichever you like to make

Rec'd mine from Barbara today Very beautiful Thank you.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9185801

I'm so glad you liked it Helene. I love the one you sent to me too!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9186119

Surprise me also.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9186223

I want to be surprised too!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9190068

I agree with everyone else, DG has brought us all together and I really feel like home here!

Janice, so glad to see you posting again! How are you doing?

I will take any plate you all want to make, number of plates does not matter.

Barb, I got your plate today, and it is beautiful! Love the colors!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9190090

I too, got Barb's plate today. Love the colors...thanks much.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9190168

I took photos of all the plates I made. Do you want me to post them as they are received?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9190179

That would be nice, would love to see all the pretty colors!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9190703

Anyone have text fabric, fabric with words, check out this contest.

http://duringquiettime.blogspot.com/2012/07/texting-while-sewing-context-prizes.html?showComment=1341284553873#c3707168972442586326

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9190934

Red/ white to Helene, Other to Jaye...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9190936

First to Jean, Christmas to Karen

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9190937

I have to say that red and White is going to be wonderful, Helene. I might have to make it one of these days.

Ooooh I love mine.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 7:16 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9190938

Fall colors to Kizmo, Blue/white to Linda Kay

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9190943

Jean's on the left, Robin's on the right
Edited to add - Marion's on the left!!! Not Jean.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 7:57 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9190946

To Thunder... Janice has to wait until I have Norm get my batiks out for me. But it will be soon!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9190953

Wowsers, Barb! Those are really pretty! Good thing you're not a fabric store, 'cause I'm sitting here thinking "oooh, I like that one, and that one and oh yeah, HAVE to find that one"... LOL My favorite is the yellow/green you put into Jean's...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9190967

These are really pretty Barb. Liking the black & white too, but then I do like that combo. I think I'd put bright primary centers in them.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9190969

I see 2 with my name...both are very lovely. Will be checking the mail.
Just finished yardwork. Dug 4 big holes for future plantings; put out 8 3cu/yd bags of top soil; spread everything around; dragged some limbs down to the road for recycling...
I'm filthy & stinky & done "working" for the day!!! Feel like I'm still in the Army "We do more before 9AM than most people do all day"!!!! Did not think that was the motto for retirement.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9191009

Barb, those are so pretty, I really like the floral one.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9191156

Ah Jean, don't get attached to the second one with your name as it is at my house. I love it and have already gotten it appliques to the background. Oh how happy I am we have this swap. This was the motivation I needed to really work on the guest bedroom upstairs. Thanks Karen you got me moving!!!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9191575

You better watch out Marion - I may come over & get it back from you!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9191600

LOL oh please don't as I love it to much for that.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9191673

janice's I did with 20 blades. I will send same to all of you asap.

Barb You have such an eye for color.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9191786

Thank you Helene. But there is noooooo need to send different plates. I AM going to use the one you already sent...
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9192972

I have already received the one from Helene and this is going to be a pretty swap. Mine will be a while as I have to practice this one.

As some of you know, I am making a quilt for my daughter and it was from a 2009 magazine. I was having trouble finding the pattern. Some quilt shops were featured in that magazine and I called the one nearest to me in Wayne, Mi and they had a copy of the magazine since the quilt pattern I wanted was from their shop. They mailed it to me and I will be making it in Christmas colors.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9193001

glad to hear you found the pattern Janice! Your daughter will be happy, happy!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9193051

Glad to hear you received the pattern also Janice. Happier to have you back quilting with us. Sure missed seeing you at the gathering...don't spend all your money on fabric and Florida is on the horizon!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9193583

I have to get all my curtains made before I start on these. Got the laundry room (covered wondow on the door & valence for the window) & bedroom valence & sheers done yesterday. Still need to get the spare bedroom ones done. Then I can think of cutting plates.

Plan to spend most of today sewing after I re-pot my much neglected African Violets. They are looking so sad. I've had the new potting soil here for over a month & keep finsding an excuse NOT to do it. Well, no time like the present so that is where I'm heading right now.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9194127

Barb, thank you so much for adding purple and gold to my lovely, lovely, plate!!!
Simply awesome!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9195183

Barb< I love the plate! It is beautiful. Thank you so much.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9195406

Got a lovely block from Barb today!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9195647

Me too, Me too!!!! Thanks so much Barb, it is prettier in my hand than it was on the screen!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9195754

I'm so glad you all are liking your plates. Only one more to do - for Janice. Maybe tomorrow...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9203250

I'm enjoying this thread so much, I went back and reread everything AND looked at all the lovely samplers!

My washing machine croaked and it will be LATE Saturday before my husband is home and we can go get the other machine. Meanwhile, I guess I need to work on what I "can" and stop focusing on the "other projects" that need some prewashing first.

I bought a 5 pound bundle of scraps from cutefabric.com , the cat & dog collection. LOTS of work I could be doing so I guess I'd better get on it
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9203256

5 lb!!!!!! That should last you a couple weeks!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9203263

NOT really... :-), just cut them up and prep them for "something". 5# is supposed to be about 15 yards. I'm doubting that. I got LOTS of a couple of fabrics, not as much of the cats and I'm going to cut those and prepare the cats for the 5 inch charm blanket.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9220399

bump...I almost forgot we were doing these!!!!! I need to get to work on mine.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9220418

My designated project for August.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9220602

I have 4 of them done, about half way there! I really like they way these look when finished. Hard to decide which one I like the best? I may make me a bunch of colors, and go for the scrappy look!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9220667

I contemplated getting fabrics ready for these but instead tore the studio apart and made room so I can build the wardrobe cabinet. Now I have to get that unit built before I can get to any fabric.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 27, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9220675

jean you are such a "macher" Linda I love my red and whites will be stunning

I bought the template and intend to re-send as soon as I can get sewing.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9220731

I have a question? I used the ruler and cut out all my fabrics, I am making the 16 wedge plates, and so far not one has come out the same size. Most of them are measuring 10 inches, but one came out at 8 & 1/2 inches! What am I doing wrong? I will cut more fabric, and keep trying, but was wondering why they are different sizes?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9220924

shee-boy-golly, I think I really opened a can of worms with this swap. I'm still in TN but heading home on Sunday, might not actually get there until Monday but then will get started on mine. I'm really nervous about it, wondering if I will be able to make these.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9221144

Don't forget LK that the 10" size is the right size for us to apply to our own background fabric. As far as the one that came out too small, is it possible that you held the ruler in the wrong place when cutting? I did that myself...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9221245

That may be possible, but like I said, I have more fabric to cut, so I will keep practicing!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9221337

...and of course, practice makes perfect. Seriously glad to hear everyone's comments as it will truly be helpful. Karen, no you didn't open a can of worms with this swap...just challenged us a bit more. That is always good. Safe trip home.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9221363

I have some Halloween fabrics (a few FQ, a half yard and some scraps) Does anyone want them for postage? Yes, I'm cleaning out the quilt room again!!! I also have a kit for making a stained glass butterfly. It contains everything you need including the black strips, the tools and fabric glue needed. Anyone interested in that for postage? First come first get...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9221398

Barb, I am still collecting for my Halloween project. If you'll let me know how much $ to send I'd LOVE to have Halloween!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9221700

They are yours Pat. I'll try to get them out this week. Just postage my friend and I won't know that until I mail...

LK has asked for the butterfly...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9221736

I have really cute purple background with black cats that I think is going to look great if I every get it made up! I am making some progress. I have son's girlfriend's quilt in the works. I decided to invite my Dad to dinner so sewing stopped for the day. We have more company coming late tonight (my DH's daughter & husband), they are picking up their nephew so he can now go there for 2 weeks. I forgot how much teenagers can eat... holy cow... I think I'll send with him whatever he might not have eaten already that bought especially for him. We don't eat cereal, the special brand of hotdogs .. creamy peanut butter (crunchy or nothing for me LOL).

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9221789

You need three incomes to feed one hungry teen and when aren't they hungry?????

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9222307

Next quiltmaker will have a pattern for dresden plate baskets quilt.Thought I'd share

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9222344

Now I need to go find the magazine!!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9222347

Boy Barb that is the truth, I brought my 14 year old grandson Brendan with me to TN. That skinny kid is an eating machine.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9222526

hello barb how are you feeling. no it'll be in the upcoming issue. I think December

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9222576

I'm feeling great Helene. Thanks for asking. I hope I remember to watch for that issue- most likely it will come out in Oct!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9226279

Beautiful Plate Barb, Thank you so very much. Let me know if you want me to post a photo.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9226343

That would be nice Karen...
I had my appointment with the surgeon yesterday for follow up to my operation. I'm thrilled to say that the biopsy came back clean - NO CANCER!!! I'm riding a big high today!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9226421

YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!
Doin the Happy Dance!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9226483

GREAT news BArb!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9226518

Wonderful news Barb!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9226612

Barb, that is wonderful news!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9226829

Janice - I mailed your plate yesterday so watch for it okay??? Feels good to sew again. I still have much work to do on my room but I needed to stop and get a couple blocks done before their deadlines. Now it is back to work... Pretty much got things weeded out and now I need to sort fabrics and patterns. Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9226832

Maybe I can start collecting the fabrics for this today... I should have thought of that when I had my boxes of strips out yesterday.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9226901

I am sending big apologies to Kathy (Kizmo) as I received her block a while ago and after reading through the threads I see I never acknowledged that I got it. I just love it - the blues you used are so pretty and the recipe is one that I must try soon. For some reason the envelope got put under my keyboard and I just found it. Thank you Kathy...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9226908

Oh Barb I can't begin to tell you how overjoyed I am at your news. What a relief to not have that hanging over your head any more.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9227008

www.happyapplequilts.com

I am not responsible if anyone gets into trouble!!! LOL

I am extremely please with fabric I have ordered from them and they do ship quickly.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9227028

Thanks Karen. I'm over the moon myself!!
Now I can work on my sewing room and get it the way I want it...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9227036

Wow Marion - that's an incredible site!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9227083

i got into trouble

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9227093

LOL me too. Oh yeah thanks Marion.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 12:01 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9227291

I AM resisting... I will be strong... No... no... WRITE the bills and then make an intelligent decision... you know the right decision is STOP looking... *sigh*, I am so weak!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9227346

I really wanted dozens more but I held myself to just some holiday prints. I know I will use them, the rest I just wanted because I wanted them.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9227393

I will be good - I will be good - I will be good... I'm still holding out but it may not be for long!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9227610

Sorry ladies. Yes, I really like that site.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9229108

Barb I am so happy you have had good news for a change. Keep it up!

Marion, you are a bad influence...but I like it. They have some great fabrics on sale.

I really have to get started on these. I have so many things in line and I thought I was going great. Then the the whole list exploded and now I am behind in everything. I haven't even picked out fabric or looked at what you all want.

I did get the civil war quilt done and mailed before my Florida friends' birthday and the queen size one for the kids is done, too. I'll try and post pictures as soon as I transfer them from the camera.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9229142

You have time yet Janice.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9229255

What? Me? A bad influence Janice? I only said you might like to look. LOL

It is so odd how we can be sailing along thinking we are making progress and in the blink of an eye, everything is behind instead. Been having that feeling a lots lately!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9229348

I know why I'm behind... I make commitments faster than I can complete projects. I did NOT want to hem these stupid lined drapes but being willing to do that was the ONLY way my Aunt would replace the wore out nasty things she had. She needed a custom length and was unwilling to pay the price (again) for custom (like she did almost 50 years ago).

Gotta go... I'm going to work on drapes until it's time to leave for my DH's family dinner.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9229359

Enjoy the family dinner Pat. Understand about commitments. I hadn't planned on keeping my granddaughter 3 days this week but did..not a complaint as I enjoyed every second of it.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9234413

Oh my, oh my, I just finished my very first Dresden plate and it came out just right. Whew! You have no idea how I was dragging my feet and kicking my butt for even starting this in the first place. I have never been so nervous about making something EVER.

OK back to sewing. LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9234435

YEA!!!!! I really do need to get to work on these.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9234529

I was always so afraid of them and they are sooo easy!!!! Happy to hear they are being worked on...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9234600

I finished 3 this afternoon. The sizes are not exactly the same but they are pretty close. I'm thinking the difference is in how I make my "scant" 1/4"seams.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9234852

Barb you can't know how much you helped me! Yesterday I got your lovely Dresden Plate. The colors are perfect, warm with lots of outdoor themes. That is what I like about batiks; they are like watercolors with that same smooth look. That gave me what I needed to start to make my own.
One of the gals at the sewing house gave me a template with directions and I love it. The first one wouldn't lay flat and I could see that I had to make the bottom smaller. took it apart and resewed the bottoms and it came out fine. I am using the 10" guide which is a 4 on the template but it only comes out as 9" -9.5" so I hope that is right.
I really found these were fun to make and did 4 in just one afternoon. I can't wait to see how they go together and what backgrounds and circles you all choose for your Plate.
Yes, Barb, we are still planning on coming to N.H. the last week in September. We are staying in a house in North Conway. Everyone was very excited about going but now that Stacey is pregnant and having a hard time of it we will see if they will be able to make the trip. I will go with the rest of them, though, and looking forward to possibly seeing you if you health makes that possible.

Thought you all might like to see my latest quilt. I have a friend who is very into civil war stuff and this month is her 65th birthday. I made this quilt for her. The top row refers to the Union stars and stripes, the second row is for Barbara Friesee who wouldn't remove the Union flag when the rebels came through her town. The third row is the Ohio star for the underground railroad, the fourth for the Kentucky star. The fifth star is "54-40 or fight" for the fight for the Oregon territory to help determine slave/free states and the bottom refers to the Confederate flag. I think it came out quite nice.

Thumbnail by ladydragon5

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9234958

What a great job you did with that Janice!!! She is going to just love it.
I'm glad I gave you the bump to try these plates. They really are fun to do. Can't wait to see.
I'm looking forward to your trip this fall and I was happy to see you will be coming even if without Stacey. I sure do hope she feels better soon and that things quiet down for her. I have that week blocked off on my calendar!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9235697

Janice, that quilt is so pretty! Love the stars you quilted on the edges too!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9236883

I can't take any credit for the actually quilting. A lady back in Michigan quilts all my work on her long arm with a computerized setting. She does a fantastic job and always comes up the the best ideas to show off my work.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9236886

Those stars in the swag border are a WONDERFUL touch Janice!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9240907

Anybody working on these? I enjoyed doing these so I'm going to make a few blocks and see how they do up as table mats...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9240941

Got my materials out Barb, does that count? LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9240997

I keep moving mine from spot to spot. Just can't seem to get "inspired". Maybe later today. Nothing else on my schedule.

I'm spending the AM steam cleaning my tile & bedroom floors. I have a Haan that is wonderful. Just have the hall bath & foyer remaining. Then all will be sparkling clean so the cats can make messes - again!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9241039

Do you mean our Dresden plates Barb? I have them all cut out, three done and will do more today.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9241086

Jean, I have some sewn, some cut out, and still looking at fabrics to choose for the rest. We are going to San Angelo this week end, so maybe I will just have to go to Joan's or Hobby Lobby and go shopping!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9241087

What a sacrifice Linda... a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!! LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9241090

Oh I know, someone twist my arm please??? LOL!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9241130

Twistin' --- twistin' --- twistin' the day away!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9241247

Well I would say "jes throw me into dat brair patch".

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9241403

^_^
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9241485

San Angelo!!! What a hoot. I was stationed there in the late 70s and there for a week 4-5 years back. And my cousin lived there for over 10 years.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9241759

I finally made it to the LQS for some of their batiks to make for Janice. Other than that, I've sent out all the others

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9241922

I have just 4 more to make. Hope to mail either end of this week or early next week. Well I do need to get some more Tyvek envelopes. The only ones I use, they won't tear.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9242005

Where did you say you get those envelopes Karen? I know you told us once but I can't seem to recall.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9242140

I get them at an office supply store like Office max. They do cost a bit more than regular envelopes but I feel it's worth it to not have to worry about them tearing.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9242543

Thanks for the info Karen...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9242624

I got 2 plates made today. Turning the points out is very time consuming.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9242807

I nip off the corner just a bit, seems to help them turn more easily and sharper.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9242852

I do too Karen and then I finger press the seam open. They turn easily then and make a great point. I use an blunt knitting needle on the point...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9242919

I have a thingy that has a small ball on the end. It makes a nice corner but doesn't poke through. Well as long as I don't push it hard it don't.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9243181

I guess I should sew all the pieces then turn the points while watching TV in the PM.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9245570

I got a couple of these off in the mail yesterday...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9246503

I was going to say "I'm done" and I just realized I forgot Janice. But the rest are DONE!!!!! and should be in the mail tomorrow.
Now to go search out some batiks in my scrap pile. It may not get made today.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9246924

I am done, going to post office tomorrow. I sure hope everyone likes theirs and that I did them correctly. What makes me nervous is that they really didn't seem all that hard to do.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9247025

LOL, Karen!!! If its too easy THERE must be problem???
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9247226

Not difficult to make just seem to take FOREVER!!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9247346

I've been dying to try them but I don't have a template or ruler and no time anyhow.

I'm still just trying to get the basics of life done right now. My youngest and his son spent the night Saturday. DH was helping son with car problems, then I got up to broken car door handle. Friday I tried two different County cars to drive out to a crisis, ended driving my own vehicle (50 miles away). I had just been counting my blessings that MY car is reliable when this happened! DH finally got the door to shut now but it won't lock. We bought the service manual and DH will order parts etc.

Grandson was sick and vomiting, he wet the bed. Did I mention they did NOT plan on spending the night? No change of clothes so I attempted to hop in the car and buy him a change of clothes when I discovered the car door problem. I ended up using my DH's car. It was not the stress free weekend that I had lined out.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9247353

Pat, just add the Dresden Plate to your bucket list...I am having to do that with some things I would like to try.

Had plans to plant a Cajun Hibiscus my daughter bought this weekend but alas the rains have started for the day. Guess I will work inside and make at my sewing machine.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9247424

Pat print this out for a template. You can use as is, or cut it straight across, then sew to make it pointed.

Thumbnail by taters55

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9247538

If I were to do another plate I would NOT make it with 20 wedges. I actually like the one Helene made better. Larger wedge and you can see the fabrics better.

Mine are off in the mail.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9247552

I'm agreeing, I hope I get some more with the larger wedges so I can make a tree skirt with just them. If not, I will make myself more.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9247768

here I am laboring over re-do for all but, personally I like the 16 wedge plate as well.

http://melindasfabricshop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=mfs&Category_Code=clearance&sort=&offset=126 frabrics from $1.99

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9247838

I have started moving to my new apartment and as soon as I am set up I will get started on these. I love the 3 I have gotten so far and can't wait to make them.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9247932

Hello, I hope you don't mind me looking in. It looks like you all are having a good time. I bought some Christmas fabric last year and I would like to make a Tree Skirt using the Dresen Plate pattern, adjusting to the appropriate size. What do you think? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9247998

We don't mind at all that you are looking in...join us and yes, we do have fun! Hopefully Karen (Siliolegma) will pop in soon and can offer some helpful advice. She is making the Dresden Plate tree skirt. Don't just lurk, just join in..besides now that you have asked about the Dresden Plate for a tree skirt... we all will be wanting to see what you do.

Marion

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9248030

Hi Shune, Welcome hope you'll stay and play. The photo what I have in mind, I want to put a Dresden plate on every other section and a Christmas applique on the between ones. There is a photo up top of a couple of the plates I have received so far. We are making the plates in one of two sizes. I'm hoping to get half of each but if not I'll make what I need. I have 15 grands and want to make each a tree skirt. I have 5 done in different patterns.

I'm not sure yet just how I'm going to figure out the dimensions of each section. I want it to be a total of 60" from point to point and have 12 sections. The plates we are making are about 10". I'm leaning on my hubby to design this for me as he has the experience. Once he does I will be happy to share.

Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9248401

Thank you, Jean, for the pretty fall dresden! Lovely colors of greens, golds, reds!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9248443

Welcome Shune! Nice to see another Washtonian, even if it is the WEST side of the state (waving hi from the desert side of the EAST part of the state)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9248595

Kiz - Quick mail to your house!!!! glad it was OK. Those colors aren't ones I have a lot of. And not in my "comfort zone".

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9248604

One of the things I love most about our swaps is that it takes us OUT of our "comfort zones". It makes us use colors or designs that we may never have tried otherwise. This plate is an example of one I have always loved but kept putting off. Imagine how pleased I was to discover it was not difficult at all. And every one of us has a different slant on colors - that's for sure!
Jean doesn't care for fall colors and I just love them!!! What a great group we have and I hope to see more of you here Shune. Welcome!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9248698

Jean, you did a nice job of selecting for not being in your 'comfort zone'...LOL I wasn't sure I wanted to go with Fall colors, but found a wall quilt online that used those, and the border was half-plates alternated back and forth. Was just different enough to peak my interest!

Barb, you hit the nail on the head! I've been taken out of my comfort zone since joining this group so many times, I lost count.. but it's definitely been fun!

Welcome to the group, Shune! Feel free to jump in any time!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9248735

Definitely been stretching my comfort zone. I know I wouldn't be trying these things on my own, but with the help and encouragement of these friends, I give it a try.

A big plus...there is only kind encouragement here...not once has there been any thing even remotely unkind.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9248778

Hey Shune, welcome to the group! Glad your here watching. Sure hope you post some of your work for us to see!

Ditto on what everyone else said about being taken out of the comfort zone, but so far it has all turned out good, and taught me a few things about sewing and quilting.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9249091

I too agree with all above...oh you will never know just how far out of my comfort zone some things have taken me. LOL Funny thing is, I really was baffled by paper piecing but now I love doing it...just needed to get in a situation where I had to pay attention and learn what to do. Thanks all for that one.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9250250

Thanks for the nice welcome. If I ever get it together, I'll let you know. I actually have never quilted (or pieced?), anything before. I used to sew a little, years ago. I have a friend that quilts a lot and whenever I visit her, she shows me what she's made. I'm thinking it might be fun.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9250256

I too welcome you. It is a very nice way to spend precious time.I, seriously started 3 years ago and love it and reap the rewards.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9250313

No time better than the present to start shune. Hang with us, we will corrupt you yet. LOL
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9250330

I finished mine and just have to get envelopes, addresses and go to PO. One of my quilting ladies lent me a plastic template and a little folder that explained how to make the plates and I found that helpful. I did wonder why I followed the directions and cut a "4" for a 10" plate for a 12" square but when it was finished it was only 8.5-9". I also followed the directions about seams but when I finished making all 1/4" seams it plate wouldn't lay flat. I had to go to the middle of the narrow end of the little fan to get the whole things to lay flat.
I hope I didn't do something wrong.
I really loved making these, especially the Christmas one. I would love to put a candle in the middle and keep it! I used the leftovers from my civil war quilt on some since I don't really know what you meant by "scrappy". Sorry if I through everyone off by asking for batiks.
I saw a quilt using this design and each block was a plate of a different color: one in all yellows, one in all a blues, etc. I really liked that idea.
What are we going to do next that will stretch us? This summer has been a total learning experience for. Besides this pattern, which I had never done before, I finished a civil war quilt, and Island chain that was really difficult, several different kinds of purses, and a Christmas quilt for my DD with lots of applique. All were things I have never done before.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012

Post #9250344

Mailed mine yesterday...forgot to post that.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012

Post #9250345

Janice - I did yours this afternoon. Since the batiks are so "stiff" they worked great for this pattern. I think I like it the best of all I did. Hopefully I'll get to the PO in the AM before I go get my hair cut.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9250379

Jean, received you plate yesterday but with my brain not functioning properly I failed to post last night. My days have all been confusing to me thanks to a new calendar that starts the week on a Monday rather than the usual Sunday. Went to a doctor's appointment that wasn't until today plus many more goof ups.

It is amazing how all the colors I have received so far blend so nicely ! Loving what the results.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9250785

WOW Janice you are on a roll!! pictures, us lurkers NEED pictures!!! LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9250907

Uh Oh Janice, I mixed the colors on yours, I'm sorry I didn't know you wanted one color on each plate, I'm sure anxious to see mine from you.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9250946

I mixed colors too. I didn't realize you wanted all one color either. I'll redo for you...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9251000

Best check with Janice before panicking we made her plates incorrectly.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9251001

I mix the colors too I think it said batiks?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9251100

above it says "scrappy batiks", I took that to mean a mix of batiks... mailed it off yesterday. Janice if you want a plate of all one batik color, let me know. I have plenty of fabric left... just let me know which color you want.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9251216

rec;d my plate from Quilter today. Thank you.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9251250

Sorry to have confused you all. Yes, I wanted scrappy and a variety of batiks in my plate. I was just telling you about a quilt I saw using Dresden plates in a different way. So everyone can just sent what they made and don't do them over, please.

Here is a picture of the civil war quilt. Each of the lines has a meaning: The top row is the stars and stripes of the Union, second row is Barbara Freische star (the lady who refused to take down the Union flag when the Confederates came through her town), third is the Ohio star for the underground railroad, fourth is the Tennessee star for the Confederate states, fifth is the 54/40 or Fight star for the battle over the Oregon purchase happening at the same time to equalize the slave and free states, fifth is the star used on quilts that Confederate moms made for their sons going to war and last is in honor of the Confederate flag.
She loves it!

Thumbnail by ladydragon5

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9251259

Here is a look at the Island chain quilt I made for my DS & DDL. I forgot to take a picture when I finished it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/1604680148/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9251281

I love that one Janice. I guess I really go for the geometrics...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9251292

Jean, I got my plate from you yesterday too. Thank you very much. I will get started on these as soon as I get moved. I promise.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9251396

Janice, that Island Chain quilt is awesome!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9251406

I have that book!!!! Go figure. Maybe one day I'll make something from it.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9251411

Beautiful quilts Janice!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9251669

Janice that pattern is BEAUTIFUL!! I know it's more than UNLIKELY I'll ever get around to it hey... I can ooooo and awwwwwww!!!

I saw a U-tube this weekend that featured Dresdan plate. The folded the blade in 1/2, sewed across the top and then pushed it back right side out, THEN seamed the sides. That made a finished pointed outter edge. It was very cool idea. The less hand sewing the better for me.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9251919

Pat - that is how we are doing our plates. You should have joined us!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9251979

Jean I got my beautiful plate from you. Thank you so very much. I'm so going to enjoy making tree skirts from these.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9252423

recd my plate from karen, Thank you. very pretty,
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9252436

Karen - I also got a lovely plate from you. DH is enjoying seeing these although he can't figure out what I'm going to do with them. They may be a good applique project to take to MD with me in Oct.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9252580

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276930/

Let's start a new thread for all our pretty plates.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America