Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Growing new plants from pruned ends?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BlakeInCanada
Kitchener
Canada
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9178802

I bought a platycodon and want to chop the top third off (I would have done it earlier if I grew it myself). The wind will probably snap the stems anyway but I'll lose the first buds.

I wondered if I could put them in water or something to grow roots. Once I accidentally cut the stem of a morning glory, and put it in water, and the plant grew roots and survived! I was hoping the same might work for the tops of the balloon flower.

It's a shame to just throw all of that growth away.

Thumbnail by BlakeInCanada   Thumbnail by BlakeInCanada
Click an image for an enlarged view.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9179909

I don't know how well it will work with this plant but its worth a try. I've had great luck doing it the way you mentioned with other palnts but I've had equally the same amount of failures.
Keep it in a bright location out of direct sunlight and let us know how it works out.
BlakeInCanada
Kitchener
Canada
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9180075

I just cut about a foot off the tallest spikes, made them into 6 cuttings, took all but the top leaves off each. Cut the buds off so energy doesn't go to them. Put them in tap water in washed yogurt tubs and placed on window sil with a translucent material in front of the window so direct sun will be partially filtered.

I also did some leaf cuttings in chevron shapes and pushed them into some moist soil.

I'm going to expect 100% failure rate and not invest any hope into it. They would have gone in the garbage anyway.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9180146

Thats the attitude. This way you'll be joyfully happy with any that succeed. Mother Nature isn't always motherly

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America