Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Daylilies: Blooming Today New Mexico

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 153, Views: 1,292
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9179259

This is one of the plants I purchased from BlueRidge Gardens in North Carolina last August.

Guadalajara by J Carpenter, 2004. This is its first bloom!

The 2nd one is Strutter's Ball by Moldovan 1984, and the 3rd won is a UFO, Hold Your Horses from Trimmer 2004, also planted in August 2011 with first blooms.

Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9179521

Very nice!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9179690

Nice. The third one will get better.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9180644

It has been scorching hot here with no rain in sight, so Hold Your Horses didn't last long enough to open up all the way. It is actually in some partial shade too!

Here are the ones blooming today.

Aaron's Little Whopper (A Joiner 1999)
Regal Air (Wild 1963)
Too Marvelous (Sellers 1975)
Watchyl Arsonist (Kreger 2004) This one was gone by the time I got home. TET
Spanish Sketch (Roberts 1989) I got this one in 2010

Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 26, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9181576

Love that Strutters Ball ... nice photos!

How hot has it been in NM? I know ya'll are normally a little hotter than us - it is supposed to be 106 today here!! WITH HUMIDITY!! It was almost suffocating as I left for work this morning - hate to think about trying to plant DLs this afternoon!

Genna
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9182373

gen2026 wrote:Love that Strutters Ball ... nice photos!

How hot has it been in NM? I know ya'll are normally a little hotter than us - it is supposed to be 106 today here!! WITH HUMIDITY!! It was almost suffocating as I left for work this morning - hate to think about trying to plant DLs this afternoon!

Genna

It has not been below 93 for 3 weeks and absolutely no rain. Of course it is a Dry Heat! Hee Hee...It is downright miserable. Isn't 106 more than you normally get in Arkansas?
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9182381

Here are 2 that bloomed this morning.

Doubly Delicious a tet from 2002 from Salter (I absolutely love this one)

Baby Boomer a DIP from T Herrington 1996

Both were purchased from Bob Selman at BlueRidgeDaylilies

Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9183977

l2le both of those are nice.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 28, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9184474

Love that Baby Boomer!! Well, it is not uncommon for us to hit temps over 100 - but it is definitely miserable outside when we do so! I think last summer, we broke a record that was set in 1980 for the number of consecutive days over 100. Also last summer it broke 110 several days!!! YUCK!! I never remember it being that hot before, but it looks like we are on track to possibly do that again this summer. My husband said about a week ago that he thought we needed to move up North for a couple of months! LOL... I am going to have to tell him that wouldn't do much good unless we head to Alaska or something! Maybe we should head south...as in the Southern Hemisphere!!

Oh well, my crepe myrtles seem to be loving this heat - they are all blooming like crazy!!

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9185176

Baby Boomer has a small flower, but it really is pretty isn't it?

I meant to respond about the pictures and let it slip my mind. I am using my little Canon SD1200 digital, set on auto at 3X for quality and try to hold really still...

Does anyone know offhand if there is a daylily very much like "MEAN AS A SNAKE" with the same coloring? AND the same shaping? It is so gorgeous, and I am having a problem finding it. Here is a pic of it.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 5:41 PM

Thumbnail by l2le
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 29, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9186266

What an odd name for such a beautiful DL...

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9188028

Gen2026 - I agree...I love that violet color. It doesn't appear to have the red undertone like so many do. I like its shape too...a little different

Linda

Here is what bloomed today...I missed Lana Ishee, as she was just opening up last night and this morning at 9 she looked like she had heat stroke! LOL

Another Baby Boomer, Guadalajara and 3!! Hold Your Horses

janie1leigh
Solsberry, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9194565

Mariettas Garden has "Mean As A Snake". I have "Russian Rhapsody" which I think kind of resembles MAAS-but not as pricey if that is an issue :) I really like that MAAS though!

Thumbnail by janie1leigh

gen2026
Camden, AR

July 6, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9195409

I like that Russian Rhapsody too! and PRICE is always an issue with me! :) Just getting started good in DLs and gardening and I lose too many plants to plant something expensive! I haven't lost as many DLs as other things over the past few years - but I still would rather spread my flower budget over more instead of just one or two expensive things!

Thanks for that info!
Genna
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9195676

Thanks Janie...I've been looking for the best price for MAAS and I already have Russian Rhapsody, even though it is not blooming yet.

And I agree with you gen2026...there are a couple I'd really like to have, but am not going to pay $150 for it...maybe I might get a $49 one. We shall see.

I have one new one...Sparks Cool Mountain Mist.

I thought it was supposed to be lavender in color, but perhaps the sun blasting on it has made it different. I don't know...

I gave all the lilys a bath with Epsom Salts and Hydrogen Peroxide and they sure seem to like it. Also, the temps cooled down about 10 degrees and we actually had a little rain.

Thumbnail by l2le

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9197333

I have a lot of blooms, but ya'all have seem them...except for my new Apache War Dance!

Thumbnail by l2le

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9197649

Like AW !
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9197776

Went outside this morning and WOW my Sunrise Sunset is all aglow!. The flower is right at 7" and the color is beautiful. Also had another Dena Marie bloom (that is also gorgeous) and a new Zella Virginia. A Quad of Evita and another beautiful Guadalajara, along with another Peach Double, twin Asheville Belle Chere and another quad of Cee Cee. I noticed the scapes are really short on Zella this year.

Sunrise Sunset
Dena Marie
Zella Virginia
Evita
Guadalajara

Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9197781

Peach Double
Asheville Belle Chere (twins)
Cee Cee ( quad)

AND a butterfly on my Butterfly bush. The darn thing fluttered just as I clicked the picture. Oh well...still pretty neat.

Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le   Thumbnail by l2le

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9201098

Finally! Here is the Regal Majesty like it is supposed to look.

I also have a Sparks Cool Mountain Mist that is more to the correct color. I was hoping it would be a little more lavendar. I wonder if because they were new is why the color was not correct. I also found out by going to the Daylily show locally, that I should NOT have added mushroom compost or bone meal to my daylily mix when I planted them. The other thing I did, was change the way I was watering them. I installed good drip lines and made sure everyone was getting the water they are supposed to have.

Now the blooms look better as well as the foliage.

Regal Majesty
Sparks Cool Mountain Mist
Guadalajara - twins
Lana Ishee
Apache War Dance - This actually looks more rusty color than bright red.

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9201100

Here are some more.

Hold Your Horses (looking more like coffee with very dark eyezone)
Regal Air
Baby Boomer
Dena Marie
CeeCee (more orange than it should be)

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9201102

AND 2 more

Zella Virginia
Oodnadata

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9201291

Really like Baby Boomer!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

July 11, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9201367

Love the Apache War Dance and the Sunrise Sunset ... but they are all beautiful.

Why did they say you were not supposed to use mushroom compost? I am curious... it is not readily available here but I had looked for it to improve one of my beds... guess it is a good thing I didn't find it!

Genna
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9202079

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Gen2026 I'm with you! The Sunrise Sunset Beautiful was 7" across! Unbelievable.

My soil here in Rio Rancho is very alkaline. I forget exactly what she said about the mushroom compost, but evidently it causes the soil to be MORE alkaline. Same for the Bone Meal (as it is really calcium). I just used the Hooker (?) formula or whatever that I found at Tinker's Gardens thinking I was doing the right thing. Alfalfa pellets, blood meal, compost, etc. etc.

My soil (if you can find it) is really crummy, so when I first moved here, I added bag after bag of cottonseed mulch called Back to Earth. Gradually I've added more planting beds for perenials and annuals etc. and have had to really dig down deep past the caliche then add in a lot of soils, mulches, peat, nutrients and whatever else you can think of to get the soil at least workable. I have sand in some areas that had to be fixed up with additives. When I dug my backyard up for my PVC pipes and irrigation system, I had to use a pick axe and soak the area first with water so I could get the pick axe to cut the soil!

I'd love to move back south like Gulf Coast Florida or Alabama with some nice acidy soil. LOL

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 7:31 AM

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9202306

Put me down for loving Baby Boomer too.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9202775

I bought MAAS this year from Blueridge Gardens @ $24.99. They have very large plants and I have a few that are blooming already!

Edited to add the link: http://www.blueridgedaylilies.com/

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012 12:24 PM
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9203302

Thanks irisluvr! I saw it at Blueridge & was going to get it, but he had it priced at $49. I've been having problems this year due to the heat, so didn't want to take a chance! Most of my daylilys have come from Bob at Blueridge and Hardy's in Litchfield Ct.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9203671

Well, remind me in a couple of years (if you don't already have it then) and I will share with ya!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9204213

Absolutely Irisluvr! If I break down & buy it anyway, then I'll have 2! My problem is the room needed and of course the $ to spend. I like to eat too. LOL

Here is my Walter's Tango and another of Sunrise Sunset Beautiful. This time the bloom is 8"!

All the others are ones you have already seen, so if you want to see them, let me know & I will post.

I'm also including 2 beautiful pictures of my daughters (CT). The first is Krakatoan Lava and the other is ?? Could be Regalia Finale. She likes surprises so doesn't tag them usually.

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9204406

I bought Walter's Tango this year also (Blueridge). Can't wait for it to do it's thing next year!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9204472

Really nice pics, I2le! You have some nice ones. I've ordered a lot from Bob Selman myself. He sends good stuff. I'm really liking HOLD YOUR HORSES and BABY BOOMER. WALTER'S TANGO, SUNRISE SUNSET and KRAKATOAN LAVA are all gorgeous!

I would love to live in NM. I've lived in NV and AZ, as well as CA. Love it out west. I love it here, too, for the fact that the climate is good for lots of different plants, and the soil on our property is fantastic. Not that everyone has great soil around here, but we seem to be blessed by an abundance of it at our place. I would hate to have to do all you do to improve the soil. That's tough.

Janie, I have Russian Rhapsody, and mine never looks as nice as yours. I'm not excited by it and will probably pot it up to sell. Have had it a lot of years, and just doesn't increase for me. Maybe likes a much warmer climate. Here are several pics of mine on different days, different times of the day, etc.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9204481

Here are a few more.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9204818

Karen - I too have Russian Rhapsody and it isn't even as pretty as yours. It is a lot darker than I had hoped it would be, with that same burgandy cast to it. Not nearly as purple looking as Mean As A Snake! Of course, that one might not look as good here either, due to the soil. My daylilys look completely different in color than my daughters in Connecticut, and I know it is because of the soil. That and the blazing sun we have here.

Laura was going to give me a piece of that Krakatoan Lava, but when she tried to split it, it started to break, so guess I'll have to wait a year or so for it! She bought that one at Hardy's Daylilys in Litchfield.

Karen, I think I could get you a fan of HOLD YOUR HORSES if you are willing to accept a single fan. The others are pretty small right now due to the heat I think, but HYH has been partially shaded, so is nice and big. Maybe next year.

Yes, I am very pleased with Walter's Tango. The plant is still pretty small, so am anxious to see what it does next year.

Here is my one lonely bloom of Russian Rhapsody. I did NOT get it from Bob...and I think it shows!

Thumbnail by l2le

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 14, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9204841

I have Russian Rhapsody also, but I never can figure out exactly which DL it is! Also have Chicago Arnie's Choice, which is similar, I think. But I don't think it is similar to MAAS, which I have only seen in pics. Does Hardy's sell online? A lot of beauties for my list on this thread...just keep feeding that addiction!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9209434

I have one new you you all have not seen.

Ida's Magic
Russian Rhapsody
Peach Double
Apache War Dance
Sunrise Sunset Beautiful

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9209437

AND

Walter's Tango
Regal Majesty
Regal Finale
Zella Virginia
Joan Senior - 1st bloom this year

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9210473

Here is my newest bloom...Ellen Christine...you have already seen all my others. They are just putting out new blooms. If I have one you haven't seen yet, I'll post it.

Ellen Christine

Thumbnail by l2le

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2012

Post #9210481

l2le, that's a very pretty double. look spotless from here.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9210620

Thanks for the offer on Hold Your Horses, I2le. Maybe I have something you might like. Check out my pics on this thread in the Northeast Forums: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1269619/ .

Is your RR new? Maybe it just needs time to settle in. You could have mine if you like. I only have a couple of fans. It has never increased for me, and I've had it for years. Maybe it likes a warmer climate than what we have here.

caitlinsgarden, I have Chicago Arnie's Choice. Here are some pics of it.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9210643

Those last ones you posted are really nice, especially APACHE WAR DANCE, WALTER'S TANGO and ELLEN CHRISTINE.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9210704

Thanks Everyone. Karen I've very happy with Apache War Dance even though it is still new, it is putting out blooms. Same with Walter's Tango. It is still kind of spindly with I think 1 or 2 fans, but blooming its little heart out. Ellen Cristine has been there for 2 years, so hopefully she will do better now that the heat has cooled off a little. She did real well last year. And, my Frills and Fancies didn't make it through the awful weather either.

I love ALL of yours Karen. Now what? I especially like Wild Horses, Indian Giver, and Chicago Heather. BUT, I also love Smokey Mountain Autumn, Your Noid you call Salmon Run, Witch Stichery, Mojave Sunset, Pink Embers, Bright Sunset, My Girl, Cisty and that gorgeous Sunset Celebration. You pick and we'll exchange. I need to make sure I can give you good fans though. So after I check them tomorrow, I'll let you know. K?

I do like some of your more spindly spiders, but they would get torn up here in the wind. I have to put ones like those up against the block wall so they don't get ripped up, and I really don't have much room there.

Linda

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9210713

Oh, I never considered that the spiders would get torn up in the wind. We are pretty protected here, with trees all around, so the wind is not bad at our place. I can just imagine what it's like at your place. Are you in an open area? I just love NM. I have a sister who lives in Alaska and has a place in NM as well. She is in Sacramento, NM, up in the mountains. She's near Cloudcroft and Alamogordo.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9210808

Yes, Karen, I guess you could call my yard "open area". My back yard faces the northwest and there is nothing behind me but mesa with lots and lots of tumbleweeds, puncture vines (goat heads) and sand. I also am on a corner so when the wind blows, it blows my trees, my flowers, my deck chairs and anything else in its way. March, April & May are the worse time for the wind. Last night the wind blew through here at 54 MPH! There was a storm brewing over Albuquerque and then it blows on up here in Rio Rancho.

I have Hold Your Horses and those other tall ones like Regal Finale and Regal Air and Strutters Ball about 10 inches from the block wall between the Leylandi Cyprus trees. They seem to do fine right there, but my fence only goes about 45 feet, so unless I get rid of my roses, I don't have a "safe" place to put spiders. I like the UFO ones too.

I really like those hot pinks and flame sunset colored daylilys you have, but I wonder if their colors would fade in this sun. I'm at 5500 feet, so when the sun shines, it is loaded with rays!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9210888

Oh, I forgot to mention that you could pick any of those ones you mention for a trade with the exception of Indian Giver and Wild Horses, as I don't have enough of those 2 yet. Indian Giver has been really slow to increase for me. Wild Horses I've only had a couple of years.

I'm quite familiar with the goat head thorns. I lived in Fallon, NV for about 10 years, and gardened there. Those thorns were horrid! Pulling them out of the gardens was terrible. Even wearing heavy leather gloves I would get my fingers stuck constantly. And they were always getting stuck on the bottoms of my sneakers, too. Oh, and the tumbleweeds were awful, too. I was allergic to them, and wherever they scratched my arms, the scratches would swell up, and I got a terrible allergy attack, with violent sneezing, stuffy nose, itchy, watery eyes, scratchy throat; the works! Not fun.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9211080

Karen, my suggestion is, "stay out of the weeds"! LOL!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9211088

I have heard that Virginia Creeper can cause allergic skin reactions. I have pulled a lot of it up in my yard bare handed and have not had a problem with it.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9211862

Karen...answer is yes on Ellen Christine, (I already have one fan spoken for on EC) Apache War Dance and MAYBE Walter's Tango. Lets wait for them to finish blooming. There is a small fan of Walter's Tango that is about 6" high and Ellen Christine has a few so I don't see too big of a problem there. It appears that Apache War Dance has an extra fan that looks healthy too.

I need to look at yours again to see which ones I want since Wild Horses and Indian Giver are not available. My Apache War Dance and Walter's Tango are from June 2011, so they are only 1 year old too. I almost bought Wild Horses a few weeks ago, but didn't. Oh well.

I have my regular daylilys that are blooming their heads off! One new one, Venice is Sinking and my Russian Rhapsody is finally starting to look more purple than burgandy. (I have to check the PH) Oodnadata bloomed its last this morning and it is not a rebloomer, just early, so it is finished this year. 5 blooms total...so I hope it is the weather...at least this year.

I checked Zella Virginia this morning and there are 3 blooms with 16 more scapes loaded with buds!

Venice Is Sinking - 1st one
Russian Rhapsody - a little more purple, but not there yet.
Pardon Me - a triple
Zella Virginia - 16 more scapes and loads of buds
Oodnadata - last one

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9211912

Hemlady, I have not had a problem with Virginia creeper either, and I've pulled a lot of it up, too, though I'm usually wearing gloves. I've touched it barehanded many times, though, and never had a reaction. Poison ivy, on the other hand...

Oh, Cindy, I like Venice Is Sinking. Nice color on that one. My RR looks more burgundy than purple, usually. That's a lot of scapes on Zella! I bought that one last year, so it's still small.

Personally, I would rather wait till Sept. to do any trading, as that's a better time for me to plant. If you'd like your in Oct., then I can certainly send them then. It's really too hot to be planting anything now. I just got a shipment from Blueridge Daylilies. I had ordered from them back in Jan., and somehow my order slipped through the cracks. I contacted Bob, and he told me there had been a death in the family, and that my order turned out to have gotten mixed up with some other things. Anyhow, I should have asked him to wait till Sept. to ship, but didn't think about it till too late. Oh, well.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9211937

Thanks for the compliment Karen...from LINDA!

I'm still looking at your lilys to see which ones we can trade. If I have more than 3, can I buy the others from you? I've spent the day digging up the end of my tear drop garden to make homes for them. I too have some lilies coming from Bob in NC, but not for a few weeks at least. AND I traded with 2 others, so have 5 more there.

Yes Karen, September would be good. I'll be on a family trip to BlueRidge GA Sep 19 through the 24th, so do you want to trade at the beginning of the month?

I need to get whatever lilys I have coming, into the ground around the 1st or 2nd week of September so they can get a start before any freezes. Here in NM, one never knows and with the screwy weather we have been having, it could be another 10" snow storm at the beginning of October like last year!

Linda

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9211962

Yes, Linda, the beginning of Sept. is fine for trading. You can buy some from me as well. D-mail me your email and I'll send you a price list of my available cultivars.

Did I mention I made over $200 selling daylilies this past weekend? Just put my signs up and people stopped. I love it when people come to my gardens and oooooh and aaaaah over my daylilies. And I love making a little extra money on them, too!

October is way too soon for snow! Are you at a high elevation? We don't normally get snow till Dec., but it has been known to snow in late Nov. It did last year, but overall we had a very mild winter with little snow.

Karen
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 20, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9212149

Do you dig fresh for each customer? I would guess you would have to have the ones for sale lined out so they could be dug easily?
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2012

Post #9212685

Great Karen, Beginning of September it is. I'll dl my e-mail.

I'm so glad you were able to sell some of your beautiful babies and make a little cash! A lot of work, but satisfying too.

Remember the one I had marked Peach Double???? It is PINK DOUBLE BITONE.
I'll attach another picture.

Same ones are blooming today as yesterday and Zella popped up with 6 BLOOMS today! Now I can say I have a Clump!

I just got Mystical Sunshine, Elsie Spalding & Pirates Patch on a trade, and I also received an order for So Lovely (3), Canadian Border Patrol (2), El Desperado and Moonlit Masquerade as a bonus. The first three are in pots and the other 7 are sitting in Rooting solution & will get planted tomorrow, or potted...Depends on if I get the bed for them completed or not.

When you pot a daylily, do you put a saucer under it? OR just let it drain? I've never done one in a pot, so don't really know the answer.

Bi-Tone Pink Double
Zella Virginia
Another pair of Walter's Tango - Just for Karen!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9212999

Yes, I do dig fresh for each customer, and no, I don't have them lined out. I just dig from the clump. Some clumps are tough to get divisions from without digging out the whole thing. Others are not so bad. Then I have to give those disturbed clumps a good watering. That's the biggest downside. I tell my customers to soak in water for an hour or overnight before planting, and to make sure they get plenty of water for their first growing season. I also tell them to trim back the foliage, and also to cut back the scapes as well, if they can part with the flowers from this season. Most people want to enjoy them, though, and I can relate. Gives them a better chance to get established if they can put all their energy into producing roots rather than flowers. I definitely tell them to take off any seed pods.

Linda, when I pot daylilies I just let them drain. This year I have been using a mix of Miracle Grow with aged cow manure, and it's working out really well. Then I switched recently to a Miracle Grow imitation, which seems to be just as good, also mixed with the manure. The manure is really fine, and it works great as a mulch/slash fertilizer in my beds - that is if I have time to even spread it.

Nice pics of all three daylilies, btw.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9214827

Yesterday was all abloom with daylilys and I find it amazing that they look a little bit different each time they bloom...not all of them, but some of them.

I have the same ones blooming as before, but they are nice shots, so I'll go ahead and bore you all with repeats.

These were on 7/21

BiTone Pink Double
Sparks Cool Mountain Mist
Walters Tango - This picture is for you Karen!
Lana Ishee
Baby Boomer

More to follow

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9214831

And some more from 7/21/12

Sunrise Sunset Beautiful
Blueberry Blush - my NOID doesn't look anything like this. I like this one!
Late Rose - 1st bloom
Cee Cee
Zella Virginia (4 of them)

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9214836

The first 2 are from 7/21 and the rest are from today.

Papillon
Joan Senior

Strutters Ball
BiTone Pink Double
Guadalajara

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9214838

Here are some more from today.

Russian Rhapsody is actually a little more purple than this picture shows.
Cee Cee
Pardon Me
Zella Virginia
Papillon

I also have a single on Joan Senior, but the flower is misshapen so won't post it.

rherma10
Riverview, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9214856

l2le, Doubly Delicious is a very pretty color. I may have to look into getting that one into my garden :)
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9216332

Thanks rherma. I only got 1 bloom on that Doubly Delicious this year, but it is a new plant from August 2011, so I really was surprised it bloomed at all.

Empire Strikes Back
Late Rose

The only new ones today, but a nice clump of

Zella Virginia
Walters Tango - triple again

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9216364

Thanks for posting more pics of WALTER'S TANGO. I must get that one! I love BABY BOOMER, too. I also like CEE CEE and GUADALAJARA and awful lot, too. Can you tell I like those hot colors?

Karen
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9216536

l2le do you have any pictures of your garden? The way you landscaped it or whatever, like whole bed shots? If so I'd love to see them!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9217293

Frilly Lily you don't want to see my yard...believe me. It is all gravel and I just dug up dirt and put down some concrete blocks to square out the area and fixed the soil and stuck the daylilys in the ground! Trees dying and even my little flower spot where I have gallardia, artemesia, some kind of sage, and where I plant annuals like petunias etc looks really straggly this year too.

Genna, you asked about the mushroom compost and I asked one of the ladys at the nursery I go to and she said mushroom compost has a lot of salts in it. I don't know for sure if that is the problem with it or not, or if it is because it has chicken manure in it. I missed the local daylily meeting Saturday (I thought it was a Friday) so didn't get to ask the question.

Yes Karen...I KNOW you like the hot colors. I do too.
These are from today 7/24...only 1 new one...
Pony, another Walter's Tango and a real pretty Ellen Christine. You have seen the rest of them.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9217384

Nice, Linda! I've been posting more pics over at the Northeast Forums, so if you want to check them out, here's a new link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271719/

Karen
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9217581

LOL I understand, my place isn't looking much better right now either... even my iris look like they are dying.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9217615

No, I mean I guess I don't have the "eye" for a "pretty" yard. I called a local here who is supposed to be tops as a designer and he kept asking me "what do you want to do" and I told him I wanted an oasis and a softer look. He kept telling me he could tear everything out and redo, blah ,blah, but he wanted over $1500 to even make a sketch or make any suggestion! I told him I got my hours at work cut to 20 so couldn't possibly afford that, so then he said..."well you didn't have to drive 25 miles to find out you didn't have the job either". I escorted him to the door and told him to have good day. By the way, I drive 22 miles to work! LOL

My lot is only a little less than 1/4 acre and is all sand & caliche. I had to put down landscape fabric and gravel to keep out the tumbleweeds and other various & sundry weeds. And like I said, things are dying due to lack of water and the crazy weather since last year. Last year everything looked really nice. Not so this year!

If I had a place with at least 1/2 acre, I know I could do something really nice with it.
Here is a picture of my "flower" garden from 2010 before my yard flooded from a monsoon, so you can get an idea...

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9217618

well if heat and lack of water are obstacles for you, I would look into doing more hardscaping and less with actual plants. I think you could use a pergola (I think that is what they are called)
some chairs painted colorful and put the pots on them. Maybe a small water feature like the ones that go in the ground and the water looks like it is coming up out of a pile of rocks. Can you grow sages or artemisias there? You can buy all kinds of colors and textures of sages. I would also add a swing or bench of some kind. Maybe you could dress it up some without tearing the place up, spending alot, or using a lot of plants that take too much water. I am in the same boat, that is what I asked to see pics, cause I will be putting together a yard in the next year or so. We hope to start building on our house this fall. It is very hot and dry here and the wind is horrid. It is not a pleasant place to live garden-wise.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9218076

Nictle garden anyway.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9218207

I agree!!! Your gardens are lovely.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9218543

Thank you everyone! When everything is blooming right and is vigorously growing it really is quite nice. I have a couple of lattice close to the covered porch in back with Trumpet vine and Clematis growing. My ash tree that is located in the center of my teardrop area died, so has to be taken out and something else planted there. It was a really nice shade tree up until this year. I have a Japanese Pagoda tree in the corner behind those pots & left over pieces of concrete blocks that does well. I have some iris and a few gladiolous planted there. I'd like hosta, but I have crocus and Hyacinth that come up early early in the year, so don't want the hosta to take over. I have a mimosa tree to the right of those planters too.

I have a lot of flagstone areas and an area with tumbled pavers under the mimosa. I had planned on a bench over there and also planned on a small waterfall with rocks. I even have some rocks with holes in them so it is all natural looking. I just haven't decided where it should go for the most enjoyment.

I have a 17 x 8' covered porch off my living room that right now is loaded up with 2 Adirondack chairs that I made...one of cedar and one of redwood., a small wrought iron table & 4 chairs, my Weber grill, a stationary bike, my rowing machine and a whole bunch of garden stuff that I have out to work with in making my lily beds. The house inside is a little under the weather right now, because I'd rather be outside in the yard! So there you have it. Perhaps ya'all will be able to come up with a moniker for me! LOL

As for lilys blooming today, nothing "new", but Ida's Magic, another trio of Walter's Tango, a Bi-tone Pink Double, Venice is Sinking, Sunrise Sunset Beautiful, Cee Cee, Pardon Me (4), Zella Virginia (6), Papillon and 2 Ellen Christine.

Ton

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9218548

And here is CeeCee, a Quad of Pardon Me, A nice 6 of Zella Virginia, Papillon and the twin Ellen Christine

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9218568

Well, your gardens in 2010 looked really nice. Too bad you're having such a bad year. My gardens have been looking pretty decent this year, though there are some areas where I just can't keep up with the weeds. It's tough when you have as many gardens as I do (I have 1.23 acres, and a ton of gardens!) and you work 60 hrs a wk.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9218751

I decided to post a couple of other pictures before the flood in August 2010.

This is in May 28 2010.

1) Japanese Pagoda on the left, Mimosa to the right. Shadow is from the Staghorn Sumac on the left and my trellis to the right.

2) Back side of the house next to my covered porch with a struggling white Butterfly Bush and some Siberian Iris

3) My "tear drop" garden area where my Rayford Ash used to shade with Mexican Primrose, Fulve ?, Artemesia, Blue Knight, some Gladioli(and hail)

4) A Dahlia planted by the fence. Too hot here for the sun on them.

5) The Perenial/Annual area with the Dianthus and all AND the hail!

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9218863

I think your yard is nice and I wouldn't re-do a thing! I especially envy your grass!
Maybe next year it will perk up and look like it did in the past. I love that dahlia btw
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9219727

Thanks. That grass doesn't look like that today for sure! 3 spots where it is all wheat colored and dried out. I water it faithfully with Automatic sprinklers, so don't know what the problem is. I used to have a square lawn 15 x 16 feet when I had my little dogs. Then after they were gone, I dug up half of it and planted that perennial/annual bed.

The only bloom you get today from my yard is Blueberry Blush.
Thank god it has been raining off and on for the past hour, but not much sun (it is overcast) so this is the only one I have, except for Zella Virginia that is blooming all over, another of Papillon, one of Cee Cee and 1 of Ellen Christine with 1 more of Joan Senior.

Blueberry Blush is the only one that looks really nice today. It is not nearly as pink as this picture shows, but the morning sun was shining right on it so it looks more pinky.

Thumbnail by l2le

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9220005

I love the bed with all the dianthus. Those are so pretty!

That BLUEBERRY BLUSH is gorgeous! I have one called BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST, and bought one this year called BLUEBERRY CREAM SWIRLS. Here's a couple pics of B BREAKFAST.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9220367

Thanks Karen, I am attaching a better picture that doesn't look so pink.

That BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST is really nice.

Have any of you seen this "new" one from Bob Selman? I love it.

THINGAMABOB

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9221844

THINGAMABOB is really nice.

Thanks for showing that pic BLUEBERRY BLUSH with more true color. Sure is a pretty one.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9223157

Here are my blooms from today. All have kind of slowed down a bit. I can't wait for the rebloomers!

Walter's Tango
Sunrise Sunset Beautiful
Pony
Cee Cee
Zella Virginia

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9223163

AND a weird picture of Pardon Me and a pic of Ellen Christine

Somehow I centered in on the large PINK one...Not it's color at all!

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9224302

July 30 and this is all there are for today.

VENICE IS SINKING
LATE SUMMER ROSE
ZELLA VIRGINIA
ELLEN CHRISTINE
JOAN SENIOR (Best picture of her yet)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9224355

Really nice! WT, SSB, CC, EC are all looking especially great!

Was out in the gardens today and disappointed to see so many are done, and many had their last blooms on them. So sad to know the season is just about done. There are still some late ones with lots of buds, though, and I can enjoy them.

Karen
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9224523

We could use a separate thread for late and very late bloomers? I want to order a lot more of these; when you see all of the buds on some plants this time of year, you realize the season doesn't have to be over for quite awhile yet!
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9224587

Yes definitely, I would like some more late bloomers myself.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9225228

I'm a late bloomer...does that count?

Not really, I was an early bloomer.

I was looking at the particulars on Zella Virginia today, and it says it is a Very Late Bloom. What the heck is it doing blooming like crazy in the middle of July? I don't think that is Very Late! Do You??

Here is all for today...Pickins are getting slim...

Walter's Tango (a very nice pic of it)
Zella Virginia
Ellen Christine
Joan Senior (2)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9225503

Nice! That is a nice pic of WT.

Yes, we should have a thread for late bloomers. I would like more myself. Early bloomers, too.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9226332

Here are my lilys for August 1

Trimmed in Gold
Sunrise Sunset Beautiful
Pony
(2) Late Rose
Pardon Me (a quad)

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9226335

I've never seen Walter's Tango anywhere. Where did you get it?
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9226420

That Walters Tango came from Bob Selman at Blueridge Gardens for about $15. I got it last fall.

Described as UFO Crispate

He has it on E-Bay right now. WALTER'S TANGO - DF - B3F - Marx-Hensley 2007 - DAYLILY
Item #230831673016
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 1, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9226431

Karen...It is also listed on his website under 2007 intros, for $10 for a double fan.

I plan on sending you one, but it won't be a double...
hostages
Wyoming, MN

August 2, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9227271

Linda
Your garden shots look like an oasis to me!

Gary
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9227569

Thanks Gary!

That is what I was trying to do, BUT this year has been a bummer. We had a very long extra cold spell 2 years ago and this last year it got warm, everything started leafing out, then it froze again, and it has been super hot since the middle of May and no rain to speak of. Everyone is on rationed water and they want us to only water 3 times a week in July and August, so a lot of my flowers have dried up. I also lost my Reywood Ash tree. The tree guy said it was due to that deep freeze from 2 years ago, along with the warming and freezing early this year.

I bought 2 new coneflowers and only 1 looks like "maybe" it will make it. The one I already had is blooming so that is a good thing. My Galardia and my Coreopsis look like they are dying, Petunias are not blooming as usual, and even the Lantana are not doing well. I have brown places on my little lawn and it "looks like hell"!! I also may have to replace the Dianthus, as it is all browned and not flowering like it usually does.

I may have to resod my lawn to look decent. It is only about 15 x 7 to 8 ft, so it isn't that expensive...just time consuming along with a lot of water. My daylilys have short scapes and I lost a lot of buds that just dried up and dropped off. I am now watering more and changed out the drip system, so hopefully next year will be better.

I am depressed...can you tell?

All I had today was Late Rose and Zella Virginia

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 3, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9228775

Aug 3 and only have a few blooms today. The weather has been really weird and really hot! No rain for days, just a lot of wind as the storms blow on by.
Kind of like the rest of the country I guess.

Blueberry Blush - I really love this one.
Late Rose (actually 3 blooms but the other one was on the other side.)
Zella Virginia (5 blooms)

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9230643

Here it is August 5, and have 5 blooms!

Trimmed in Gold
Venice is Sinking
Late Rose
Pardon Me
Zella Virginia

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9232231

Only 2 today...Sunrise Sunset Beautiful and a misshapen Pony!

I still have buds, so hopefully I'll have some more in a few days.

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9233369

Just 2 today also. Very hot. The weatherman said 92 degrees, but my thermometer said 102.

Poor Zella Virginia shows it! This morning it was just opening up, and at 3:45 this is what she looked like.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9234803

Your pics look nice, though you can tell they are suffering from the heat. Too bad you couldn't use your waste water from baths/showers. Maybe you could put in a gray water system that uses reclaimed waste water for the gardens. Might be expensive in the short run, but could save you on water in the long run, and you wouldn't have to worry so much about watering restrictions.

Hope you get some rain really soon.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9234815

Thanks Karen, but doing something like that is "against the rules" in this town, as your "dirty water might contaminate the aquifer!" We are supposed to have a backflow special valve on our sprinkler system. (I don't), but if and when I were to sell my home, I'd have to put one in. The valve is about $150 + a plumber. It has to be done by a licensed plumber too.

We have had a few rain showers, but not enough to do much good. I turned my water back on to every other day rather than 3 times a week (skipping 2 days), & then I give the pots and anything else looking droopy a fairly good watering.

Yes, the daylilys show it when they are too darn hot! This is all for today...

Sunrise Sunset
Late Rose
Zella Virginia
Pardon Me

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9234835

I wonder if there was a system that could be installed that would take the contaminants out of the waste water to make it clean enough that it would not harm the aquifer. Would probably be very expensive, though.

I took a bunch of pics of my late bloomers yesterday, but don't have time to post them now. Maybe tomorrow or Friday night.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9236074

Well, only two today. But, I did get a couple of pictures of the hummers!

Pony
Pardon Me - Triple
Hummingbird drinking
Hummingbird Just staying in place

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9236808

August 10 and 2 blooms. I still have several buds on each plant though, so will have a few more at least. I don't see any "new" scapes for rebloom. Is it too early?

Late Rose
Zella Virginia...looks like it tried to double, but didn't quite make it!

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9239051

Here are my latest blooms...

Zella bloomed yesterday and again today and I still have some buds.

Pony (twin)
Late Rose (2)
Zella (2)
Just plain roses

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9239167

Nice pics l2le. Like the rose.
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2012

Post #9240470

I didn't think I had anything blooming today, and when I cam home from work I had 3!

Pony
Late Rose
Another one of Late Rose...love the coloring on this picture!
A JP Rose
Old Fashioned Rose

The roses are for you Mike!

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9243984

August 15 and Aug 16

Late Rose on August 15

Pardon Me 8/16/12
Late Rose 8/16/12

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9244162

Looks like they're petering out over there, just like here. Pretty much the only ones left blooming here are Swamp Yankee, August Flame, Challenger, Good-Bye Columbus, James River Rose, Autumn Minaret and a late blooming NOID orange.

Here are some pics of Good-Bye Columbus. The last shot of it is with a hardy hibiscus.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9244171

Very nice Karen!!! Someone on here was asking about you the other day. They said they hadn't seen you on in awhile and wondered if you were alright.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9244182

Oops! Forgot to mention that the second pic in that previous set was of a katydid on the bloom. Do you have them in NM, Linda? I don't recall if I ever saw them in NV or AZ when I lived there.

Here are some more pics. The first is the orange NOID. Next 2 are of Challenger. Last 2 are of James River Rose.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily   Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9244191

Thanks, hemlady. I'm fine, just really busy, and not spending as much time on the computer. Been spending more time going out, working, reading, and occasionally watching movies with my nephew.

Here's one more shot of JRR, and one of Autumn Minaret. Then there's one of August Flame and then Swamp Yankee.

Karen

hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9244371

I really like James River Rose. How tall is its scape??
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9244412

I like Challenger and August Flame!

No Karen, I don't remember ever seeing katydids here. Seems like we had them in Oregon though...I don't remember.

Linda

Oh...nothing blooming today. I think mine are done! I saw one more bud on Late Rose. (That one COULD be CLASSIC ROSE) ???

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9244858

James River Rose is 42" tall, though mine isn't that tall yet, as it's in a pot.

Linday, yours might be Classic Rose. When I looked up Late Rose on Tinkers I got nothing. Classic Rose looks like it has a creped texture and it does bloom late.

I would like to get one called Sandra Elizabeth, which is a very late blooming yellow, and will bloom into October here.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9244962

YAY...I had a bloom today of Zella Virginia. I can't tell if it is a rebloom or not.
Also have a very pretty rose blooming.

Thanks Karen for the heads up. After looking at that creped texture, I don't think that is what it is. In fact it might be just one of his seedlings. Laura never thinks to ask about the daylily while she is there, and he has so many people coming and going that he doesn't remember which one she bought. Laura says she like surprises, so doesn't even label them for herself.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9245159

That rose is a pretty one. Nice soft color. Yay for Zella!

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9246156

No daylily blooms today. BUT, there is a large bud on Late Rose and 2 more on Pardon Me. Eveybody else is tired out and done for the season Unless someone decides to REbloom!

I need to find some very late bloomers for my gardens.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9246165

I need to do the same. I do have some, but not enough.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9246185

Karen, Sandra Elizabeth have a couple off springs that are not yellow and they are late also. Carmine Elizabeth and Scarlet Elizabeth. http://www.daylilies-hostas.com/welcome.html

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9246195

Oh, those are nice ones, Mike. Thanks for the tip! I will definitely be needing to get those now.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9246916

I have another Late Rose today and still have 2 buds on Pardon Me. Amazing...I'm going to do some searching for some late bloomers for sure.

Thumbnail by l2le

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9247458

Very nice sibs of Sandra Elizabeth. Isn't it interesting that they are self crosses and not yellow? I had never heard of this DL website; thank you! Will definately be browsing it this winter...
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9249489

Here it is August 21st and I have 1 Pardon Me.

Also a pic of my 2 year old Rose of Sharon BOULE de FEU! Loaded with flowers

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9249562

Ooooh! Love the ROS! Very nice!

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9249773

I do too. Lovely color!!!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9251450

We have a local nursery in Albuquerque that has been there for a very long time. One of the gals "SAM" is very helpful if you ask a question, and I told her where I wanted to plant it, etc. etc. and she suggested this one. Neither one of us know how the heck to pronouce the name though! LOL

About a week ago, I went to check it to see if it needed water, and the buds were covered with some kind of tiny little black bug. Could have been mites I guess. Anyway, I sprayed it well with a hard stream of water, then sprayed on some Malathion. 3 days later the blooms started showing off. My HUGE purple and pink ones in the back yard don't have any bugs and bloom and bloom and bloom.
Actually, they make a mess with the dropping flowers. BUT, I love them as they are so very pretty.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9251711

Hmmm... wonder what those bugs could have been. Glad they're gone.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 6, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9266985

very behind on catching up on all the threads!! So many beautiful blooms! I love that Walters Tango and I love that Rose of Sharon that you have ... beautiful color!!

I love the layout of your yard as well... hopefully it will recover nicely from the rough summer! I have lost several plants here due to the drought as well...I water but it isn't the same. Thankfully for the past month we have had several rains off and on and things are doing much better!

Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures!
Genna
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9267335

Thanks Genna,

The layout of my yard is starting to leave a little to be desired. I want MORE daylilys, so then I have to either remove something or dig up some of the gravel and make a bed and now, I'm running out of room.

I think I will have to just be happy with what I have and NOT get any more daylilys for awhile. I've been watering faithfully, which has made a difference. We may actually get some rain this weekend. I do miss the rains I used to get in Oregon, or Connecticut or Florida. Everything was so green. Sigh

Walters Tango is a beauty isn't it? Some of the blooms were better than others, but it is it's first year, so hopefully next year will be even nicer. I have a bunch of new babies to coddle and baby this spring. Walter's Tango had 19 blooms total!

I bought a few mums this week for my little perrenial garden from Lowes for $2.50 each and moved 3 Dusty Millers from that area so that nothing misses the sun and the water. Hopefully that will help that area too.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9271494

Would love to get some mums, but can't justify spending money on plants that will die over the winter. I so want to put in an order for hostas with NH Hostas. Will have to see if I can afford it. If I order $75 or more, then shipping is free.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9271500

Cushion mums are suppose to be hardy,you mean they aren't where you are? Football types aren't hardy here either ,but I have lots of cushion type that have done okay year after year. This is really suppose to be a zone 5 only it is more like 6a-6b.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9271504

The hardy mums that are for sale now are hardy for this area, but generally only if planted in the spring. Sometimes you'll get lucky and have some fall planted ones winter over, but not usually. I could always try wintering some over in our enclosed porch.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9272485

Here in zone 7b, the mums I purchased are perrenial. I only get Lantana or Verbenas and some Petunias and some other little annuals in the spring. I have been using perrenials as much as I can.

This year, one of the Zinnias popped up and it is a really pretty hot pink. I'm glad it is the one that came back. I do have to watch out for the Portulaca though as it tries to make new plants between the flagstones!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9272621

That zinnia probably came from seed. I love portulacas, and wouldn't mind them coming up in random places. They are just so pretty.

Last winter I brought in a pot of Lantana and a white Salvia, and they did really well. I'll do that again this year. Well, that is if I have room on our porch. I have so many tropicals to overwinter now, it might be too crowded in there, and I think my sister will have a lot of objections.

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 13, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9273924

I2le is the lantana not hardy for you? It is hardy for us here in south arkansas... some of the verbenas are and some are annuals. I have some hardy pink verbena that a friend shared with me that is very hardy. It is one of the ones that is low to the ground...probably only grows about 6" -7" high... At one point I had some of the purple that was supposed to be hardy but I lost it...

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9275549

Genna, I've never had the Lantana come back for me. I usually buy them as "annuals" though, and I've never looked for perennial Lantana. I love the red, the white and the purple ones. I usually plant some in the little bed and plop a few in a container so that they drape. I like to do that with Verbena too. The Verbena has never come back either, but again...I have never looked for Perennial Verbena. Maybe I will look for it when the nurseries stock up again.

Yes, I like the ones that are low growers too.

Linda
gen2026
Camden, AR

September 14, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9275645

Linda,
I would be happy to send you a start of this pink verbena if you want to try it... I used to be listed as 7b zone so it should survive for you. I think i could dig some starts and just send in a padded envelope...not sure they would make it, but we could try. just let me know if you are interested in trying it.

I don't think the red lantana is hardy here either - but not sure about that... I KNOW that the yellow is hardy here.

Genna
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9278183

Thanks Genna! That sounds great. We usually get our first frost here in October, but we really never know when for sure.

It is supposed to be in the mid 80's all week this week, with lows only at 52-55 degrees, so it looks like a while before fall.

I'll be on vacation until September 25, so I will D-L you and give you my address. Thanks a bunch!

Linda
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9289456

NO blooms today, but I have AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER with 2 scapes with lots of buds!

When they bloom (hopefully before a freeze) I'll post the pics. Until then...just drool a little. OK?

No other daylilys have scapes to bloom and no prolifs or anything...Just this one daylily.

Thumbnail by l2le

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9289524

Nice!I hope it blooms for you.

Karen
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9289668

Terrific!!!

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9292084

Still drooling! LOL!!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9292889

Just keep on drooling...I checked it tonight and it looks like 20-25 buds on it! It will be awhile before it blooms though. One might make it this coming week...I'll keep watching it for sure. ALW was one I got free from Bob S at BlueRidge August 2011 and had only 1 bloom on June 19, 2012.

All of you keep praying for it to bloom before frosts! K? Thanks

AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER 6/19/12

(had to correct Bob S)

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 5:56 PM

Thumbnail by l2le

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9293033

Yup, will keep praying that it will bloom before frost. Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Karen

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9293267

Karen, LOL!!
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012

Post #9294027

Karen, I used to tell my kids to cross their toes, their fingers, their legs and their arms and they would start giggling.

All good, until I caught my 3 year old trying to physically cross his toes! LOL

Linda

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9294446

Linda, the only thing you left out was the eyes. LOL!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9294633

LOL! at both of you!

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9294636

Still waiting on SUNDAYS WITH VERNON to bloom its last bud on the rebloom scape.

Karen
l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9297655

LOOKIE!!

AARON's LITTLE WHOPPER looks like it will make it before frost!

I have one large bud ready to open. I'm all giggles & grins...

Linda in New Mexico

Thumbnail by l2le

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9299891

Here is my AARON'S LITTLE WHOPPER reblooming! It started to open up on the 7th, so I took 2 pictures, then today, it was fully open, so I took 2 more. The Bud (above) is from 10/6.

Linda

Lots more buds too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9299897

BU!! :-)

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9300178

Yay! Congrats!

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 9, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9300700

Wow - blooming in October! Now that is amazing!

l2le
Rio Rancho, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9309910

My AARON'S LITTE WHOPPER actually opened up 2 blooms today as it is a little warmer. It wasn't opening all the way due to the cooler air. AND either a bird or the wind knocked off a couple of buds too. Darn it.

Anyway, here are twins!

Linda

Thumbnail by l2le

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9312128

Oh, nice! Looking good!

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America