Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: How Gross Are the Grubs?: Saopy water works!

Communities > Forums > Article: How Gross Are the Grubs?
bookmark
Forum: Article: How Gross Are the Grubs?Replies: 4, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dlsamuels
Spring, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9179481

My husband put dish soap and water into a spray bottle - kills the Japanese Beetles! Just rinse your plants off.

Once you see a few... each day - start the 'watch'... as they mate they give off a phermone and more come. We start seeing them in the afternoon at the heat of the day.

A few spray - I even scraped them into a small jar with soapy water and they die! Then I keep checking my plant where they landed off and on for about 2-4 hours and then 'they' are gone for a day or so. This is particularly true with my Hydrangea tree.
francine38
Falls Church, VA

June 25, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9179893

Agree! I had a cut off a clean milk jar still with the handle with soapy water and flip the beetles into the jars. After I got a lot of them, I used the soapy water to spray the roses and most of the beetles do not come any longer. Read it somewhere and it has worked for me.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 25, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9180209

How much dish soap , how much water ? What's the ratio ?
francine38
Falls Church, VA

July 9, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9199153

I saw this from http://dkmommyspot.com/the-continuing-story-of-natural-remedies-for-japanese-beetles/
I just came up with a concoction today that got rid of a lot of them. I took a 1 1/2gal. chapin sprayer, filled it with warm water, about 3 tsp of garlic powder, 2 tsp of cayenne pepper, a couple of squirts of dish soap and a little under a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil. Shook at and sprayed the little buggers really good. They didnít like the smell, if they eat the leaf, it is hot, and the oil and soap stick to the plant. It doesnít smell too good, but it worked.
another said 1/4 cup for 1 gallon.
there is also this info:
Application
A few drops of soap in a gallon of water can be sufficient. Adding a few drips of oil helps the soap stick to the plant and continue to kill insects. For spraying plants indoors, adding 1 tsp. to a hand sprayer of water is recommended. Some plants such as sweet pea and some tomato varieties are harmed by contact with soap. Use a diluted solution and test one plant a few days before doing a general spraying. Repeated applications may be necessary for a heavy infestation of insects to be eradicated.

Read more: Dawn As an Insecticide for Gardens | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/105816-dawn-insecticide-gardens.html#ixzz209IZRsir

I personally never measured: just put water about half full in a cut one-gallon jar and then squirt maybe 1 tablespoon Dawn into it, and mix it.

I hope it helps.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 9, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9199333

No bugs yet , but thanks for the answer . I'll mix some up for I know what's coming .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How Gross Are the Grubs? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What a great title, "gross grubs" LOL! critterologist 5 Jul 8, 2009 2:14 AM
We're surrounded! seray53 0 Jul 4, 2009 3:10 AM
Great Info on Gross Grubs! Petalpants 10 Sep 3, 2009 1:50 AM
Japanese beetles rueroi2008 0 Jul 6, 2009 10:50 AM
Japanese Beetles annajeang 1 Jul 6, 2009 1:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America