Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Delicious Strawberry Desserts: Freezing Strawberries

Communities > Forums > Article: Delicious Strawberry Desserts
bookmark
Forum: Article: Delicious Strawberry DessertsReplies: 2, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seekonker
Orinda, CA

June 25, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9179691

This procedure may be well known, but just in case: Using a cake pan that will fit the shelf in your freezer,
rinse each berry and remove the stem-top, place each berry top-down in the pan, taking care to keep
berry separated, place the full pan in the freezer for a few hours, until the berries are well frozen. You can
now store them in a zip-lock freezer bag until you ready to use them.

The name for this procedure is " Individual quick frozen" --(as if you cared !)

Good luck.

Len
hsl2000
Rochester, MN

June 25, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9180033

Here's another way to preserve strawberries (raspberries and peaches too) that will take a little less space. I have several sherbet, coffeecake, and other recipes that use a cup of chopped strawberries. Most also include a tablespoon or so of lemon juice as well. Even if the recipe doesn't have lemon juice, it never seems to hurt the final outcome.

So I chop strawberries into a cup measure (packed lightly), pour a tablespoon of lemon juice over, and then put into a pint zip lock bag. These can be laid flat in a 9 X 12 pan and frozen. When solid, I move the bags into a larger bag and label it. The berries are then ready for whatever recipe I want (or even for use in a smoothie), thawing quickly because of the flat shape. The space taken in the freezer is about half that of the "individual quick frozen" form, and they are less susceptible to freezer burn because the bags can be sealed with minimal air around the berries.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 25, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9181295

Thank you both for sharing your fruit freezing methods . I appreciate it!

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Delicious Strawberry Desserts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Delicious looking fwromanian 1 Jun 26, 2012 5:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America