Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Savings seeds from Geraniums

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
keanl
Orland Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9179737

I wish to save seeds from some of my geraniums for next year. Everything I have read about this says to let petals fall off and I will see 5 seeds around the beak. I do not see a 'beak' let alone 5 seeds. What should these seeds look like? Where are they? What is a beak?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9179891

Seeds for the annual geraniums?

here's a pic and some info
http://geraniums.momcom.net/?p=148
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9179918

It's the same for "annual geraniums" (which are actually Pelargonium) as for perennial, true Geranium. After blooming, the seed head develops into a structure that looks like a crane or heron's bill (hence the common names) with 5 of these forming the seedhead. You will not be able to see the seeds. After flowering, but before the seed heads open and drop the seeds (when the seedheads have opened, you'll see the outer part curling up) , cut off a couple of stems and put them in a paper bag and let them continue drying in the house. When the seedheads have dried, the seeds will be ejected but will fall into the bag where you can collect them.
It's pretty difficult to collect seeds otherwise, as the splitting of the seedpod when it dries makes a tiny catapult that flings the seed away from the plant.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 8:17 AM

Carolinaflower8

Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9244122

Thanks for the info! My annual red geranium usually produces new buds on the same spot for a bit. I had been deadheading parts that were not producing any new buds, though. I'll start collecting the seeds, instead. :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America