Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Seedling Advice

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 25, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9179829

My seedlings sort of got away from me this year and I am left with a large pot of Engelmann Daisies. I know its too hot but I will be going on vacation for 2 weeks and don't know if the person who might be watering my potted plants will water enough to keep them alive. Would it be better to plant them now and keep them watered well for a few weeks or keep them in this pot and hope a couple waterings will sufice? I am not going to be able to water my beds so I suspect lots of losses from those.
Cheryl
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9179959

If you are going to have someone water your potted plants, Pot your daisies into individual pots. Make sure the pots are about the same size as those she will be watering for you. I'm in the same sort of dilemma. Right now, I'm trying to move a number of plants in gallon containers into larger ones that can go a bit longer between watering. I just hope the roots will be established in their new pots by the time I leave.
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9180496

I'd bring it in the house and set it in the sink...
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 25, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9180647

2 weeks of no lights might kill it also. I am going to put some of the smaller plants into plastic buckets with water in the bottom so they can last longer without being watered from the top.
C

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9180918

Cheryl, you can bring that pot to my house and I will take care of it for you.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 25, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9180997

That's very generous of you Josephine, let me speak to the person I am asking to water and see what they say. I might take you up on your offer. I have a bed that needs to be cleared and reworked and those plants are slated to be used in it.
C

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9181167

Yes, it would be a shame to lose them, let me know what you decide.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 25, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9181231

I think I read they will bloom the second year from seed. How did your little seedlings fair?

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9181440

They are still in the little pots bur healthy, I haven't had a good spot for them yet, probably this fall when I rearrange the slope.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America