Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Are you preserving your harvest?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 66, Views: 517
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin
Schenectady, NY

June 25, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9180086

There are a total of 72 votes:

Yes, I'm canning and freezing veggies.
(11 votes, 15%)
Red dot

I'm making jams, jellies and preserved fruit.
(7 votes, 9%)
Red dot

I'm drying peppers and spices.
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Some or all of the above.
(30 votes, 41%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(4 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I'm not doing any preserving this year. (why not)
(18 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9180309

We're eating as it comes, and sharing excess with neighbors…The pantry is full and the freezer needs replacing.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9180418

It's too hot to do the canning jars this year...
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9180784

My husband is going to dry some oregano and basil. He also makes jelly from the pindo palm fruit that is delicious.
We're also growing a lot more peppers than before, so who knows what he will do with them...
Barb

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9180862

I freeze excess vegetables, and share with neighbors. I used to can a lot when I was (much) younger, but can't be bothered with all that sterilizing now that I'm "retired".
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9181043

We just give away excess but this year my garden is just tomatoes and peppers so will be getting stuff from family and friends. I laid cardboard down this year to keep weeds down. So gave the garden a break and just did buckets.
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9181178

Do not 'preserve' veggies or fruits, ...and sharing with 'neighbors' is "non-existent" here. Too many angry, unhappy, bored, "stuck-up" people here.
Yep, can't wait to win the lottery, so I can move to kentucky or tennessee, etc.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9181201

wow LoveForests how sad

We usually just have enough to eat immediately what we grow(only a few toms, peppers, strawberries, herbs)
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9181252

Yeah, how sad, flowAjen from NJ.
How terrible and worthlessly sad!
(Amazingly, most of my neighbors are from NJ and NY.) ... Thank God for the day I win the lottery in order to get away from them.

IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

June 26, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9181589

I feel the same LoveForests, last week our neighbor just came into my front yard, and completely obliterated all of my honey suckles and trumpet vines, that were growing on MY fence. Without saying a WORD! And his excuse is that it's ruining his brick wall. What do I think? Maybe he should have planned a little better where his brick wall went, my vines were there first. I think he's an angry, corrupt, seriously emotionally disturbed person. His wife came out to see what he was doing and he COMPLETELY ignored her, I can sense something else amiss in him. There's nothing I can do about it, I hate this neighborhood with a passion.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 26, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9181632

Did you call the cops?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9181751

First, he trespassed by coming onto your property. Second, he stole your property when he removed your vines. Did you take photos of him in the act?

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9181841

Just enough tomatoes to eat, but harvesting lots of wild blackberries for pies and wine. Spread the berries out to freeze then put in quart bags and store in freezer, that way they don't clump together and make nicer custard pies.

My recipe in case you would like it:

I am lazy, Deep dish ready made frozen pie crust, usually from Walmart.
Fill to top with frozen berries
Mix together 4 eggs and one can of eagle brand milk
Pour over berries to the top.
bake at 350 until done

Cuts better if you chill the pie before cutting.

If you want the wine recipe I will have to ask my DH.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9181893

If I get a lot of beans all at once, I will can or freeze some. The squashes and citrus keep well on their own. Otherwise, we eat stuff as it comes.
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

June 26, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9181973

No, my father who's sort of "in charge" of this house (a joke if you ask me), doesn't want to "upset the neighbors". He lets them walk all over him, and me now too. There really isn't anything I can do about it. I hate the suburbs.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9182583

I've pickled and dried so many hot peppers this year I should start a business ! The jalapeños are extra yummy this year.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9183194

Jams, pickles, herb concoctions.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9183454

IlovemyTiger - Plant poison ivy to grow up his wall!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9183457

AYankeeCat wrote:IlovemyTiger - Plant poison ivy to grow up his wall!

LOL!!! I love that idea!!!
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2012
12:08 AM

Post #9185706

IlovemyTiger, ... Get a small recorder, and turn that recorder "on" when your neighbors 'do or say' or yell anything horrible towards you when they walk passed your house, etc.
They can't say 'crap' or lie about anything if their actions or words are recorded on film.
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9185721

FlowAjen, ... why should she "call the cops??!!
Not every little thing deserves calling the cops on your neighbors, family or "temporary-partners"!. (That is a "New-Jersey-Thing", not a healthy thing!)
Not everyone wants to play "games or the "Destroy-a-person's-background-game", before they rightfully call the cops on you.
'New Jersey games' should stay in 'New Jersey' and not be taught to anyone else.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9185829

WOW bitter much?

Sorry, it's not just a "New Jersey" thing to call the cops if someone comes onto YOUR property and destroys YOUR stuff
and what the heck is a NJ game?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9185881

If I ever get enough to do up then I would freeze things. The last couple of summers we have been away for extended periods of time, so I haven't planted much in anticipation of that.

I agree with honeybee to document incidents with those neighbors and call authorities if needed. Don't think we need to pick on NJ.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9185980

Rule #1 in our family is Don't rat on your neighbor. That said, one must either approach the neighbor directly, or not. Your choice.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9186020

oh yeah everyone is like that in NJ.. if you are ignorant .. seems that if all the neighbors are a problem.. ever think it wasn't them?

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 11:50 AM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9186268

boy, this has turned into a sad thread...and i'm crying my eyes out...from chopping up a bucket full of scallions that i just got into the freezer in baggies. the neighbor has let his garden "go" for the summer so i get whatever i can find until he turns it under. got enough cherry tomatoes, banana peppers and okra to hold us another two weeks. i haven't had to produce shop so far this season thanks to him!
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9186705

Someone could trespass on my property and take all the habanero peppers they want (bumper crop)! And even if they were from NJ and cut them down I wouldn't call the PO PO but probably pay them ! Only if they accept PayPal bill me later!
; )

This message was edited Jun 29, 2012 6:14 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9186717

Uh, oh. I see LoveBrug about to be set upon by mobs of NJ spicy food fans. ;-)
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9186765

Kell , Guido friendly here ! HA!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9186976

Sounds like someone is jealous that they're not from NJ. I have a friend from NJ who lives in Jacksonville, and she is such a nice person. My father is from NJ. Let's stop making racial slurs towards NJ folks.

Karen
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

June 30, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9187429

I sort of tend towards the way I generalize this for everything- there are unlikable people of every race, religion, nationality, and origin. Are there stereotypes? Sure- but they don't apply to everyone in that group, and aren't all bad stereotypes. We all have our own experiences and observations. LoveForests made a personal observation, right to apply to everyone? Maybe not so. I don't know flowAjen, neither does LoveForests, so I don't think she should be generalized with the observation that way. My neighbor happens to be a stereotype that I don't like either, but all I can do is get away from it, because likely calling the cops would only anger him. I mean, he lives right next to me. The guy knows where I live. Not a good idea. I'll definitely be wary of any more trespasses, and if it grows to the extent where I would consider doing something close to me moving, then I'll do something. Regardless, I still don't want neighbors lol. People are so packed in to small spaces these days that we literally are sharing living space, and it's not healthy in my opinion. It creates these situations.

Amanda
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

June 30, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9187666

So far I have not really had that much.
Last year I worked myself to death but this year a late Freeze got strawberries, blackberries, apples, pears, sour cherries.

Now we have a drought - no rain for four weeks with 103 or almost - every day.

Not even tomotoes - OH Say it ain't so.

I am pretty sure It is the people up in Indiana letting their cold air come down after it is suppose to be all gone.
It is the people up in Indiana a stealling all the rain. I have noticed how much you all are getting and I am just saying -- that is mighty glutinous of you.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9188145

Amanda, I agree with what you're saying. It's really too bad that people can't just try and get along. Some people just have to be miserable and make everyone else miserable too. I'm lucky I live in a rural area and don't have neighbors right on top of me. The neighbors I do have are nice people. Never had a problem dealing with them. I've lived in suburban neighborhoods, and never had a problem with neighbors. Guess I'm just lucky.

Karen
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9188260

IlovemyTiger, you are very smart and have a 'level head'. You seem to think calmly which should be commended.

Maybe not 'all' New Jersey individuals are bad, 'money-obsessed', self-obsessed, and abusive, but many that I've known were. And no, it was'nt me.

And, no, it's not me that my closest neighbors are unhappy, sociopathic people.
My neighbor on the left has like 15 cameras attached to his house, plus has one in a tall tree. He never gets visitors and he was the "only one" to not say hi or anything to me since I moved into this house!
I remember seeing him in his driveway once and I was happy and smiling, and all I remember seeing was a nasty face from him and no hello. The neighbor to my right never said hello, he was always too busy cursing and yelling on his cell phone while outdoors(many times). I remember I was outside trying to pick weeds in my 'rock-beds' and heard his wife ask if she should go over and help me, and her unhappy husband said no.
Two months later a woman comes to my door and says do you know your nextdoor neighbor?, they have a summons out for them or something like that.

The rest of the people who occasionally walk by have said hello, or when I drove passed their place, they wave at me with a smile.

So... time to "lay-the-f-off" of what you don't know.

Thanks and have a great holiday week.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9188268

Wow. Sounds like you got lucky to be sandwiched between to nasty neighbors. A shame.

Karen
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9188273

LoL! Thanks Karen. But I'm dealing with it. I barely spend much time in my front yard, but spend more time in my 'fenced-in' backyard.
Or... I just leave and go somewhere else.

Oh and P.S., Karen, I would "never" be jealous of not being from NJ, I THANK GOD I'm not in NJ. I truly Thank God for that!!

My father is from NJ too, he is an abusive, child-molesting (repeatingly), abuser who kicked me down stairs when I was 2 years old, ...Then 31 years later he broke his "2-year-old son's arm" and abused his wives (of which he married 7 women).
He's a user, giggilo, abusive, "con-artist" and "material-obsessed" molester. He is displayed on the "online-list" of child molesters.

My "step-brother" from New Jersey tried to sell me to someone when I was young and tried to continue to "sell me" to his acquaintances so he could get favors or money from them, and etc, etc.
Not a single male from NewJersey has ever been different, they are all "the same", they are not healthy towards women, girls, or others. So, ...surprise, and wake up!

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 12:44 AM
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9188358

A shame, huh Karen.
A SHAME. Wow, what a SHAME!

Yep, a SHAME.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 30, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9188360

WOW sounds like you need to get professional help
Sorry you came from a horrible family but let's not paint the whole state with the same brush for pete's sake, I mean really NO single man in the whole state is different???? out of over 4 million men?????...I beg to differ my father, brothers, husband, nephews, father in law, brother in law, friends, cousins, uncles...NONE of them have ever done anything like that
LoveForests
Clearwater, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9188367

FlowAjen,... Well, then you are either 'very ignorant' or you weren't someone they felt they needed to "USE" for money, sex or "material-things".
Sorry, I guess you lose, "spoiled brat".

Did you grow-up along the "east-coast" of New Jersey? If not, than you don't know sh_t! And then you should 'shut-the-f_ck-up'.

Sounds like "you need" to get PROFESSIONAL HELP, AND FAST.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 1:31 AM

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9188410

WOW, came to vote but don't want to now. That is some biased vile opinion you have there LoveForest, just your words ooze of hatred and contempt. Do we actually wonder where prejudice comes from??

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9188437

Wow! I know a lot of people from all parts of NJ, and they are the most generous, kind and great people, especially those from NJ on DG. Pre-judging people simply by where they live is a dangerous and unacceptable form of bigotry that is the cause of the rising level of hate crimes in this country and elsewhere. Even doctors in Florida prescribe anti-depressants. I know that, not because I lump all southerners into one type of category, but because I was born and raised in Florida and still return for part of the year. Once anyone starts choosing to spew hatred towards people you've never met, it is time to realize there is a problem that needs medical attention.

Back to the topic...we are only growing a small garden this year, so no canning or freezing for me.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9188486

well said, DonnieBrook.
i tried once to get this thread back on topic but obviously failed.
for anyone just tuning in to DG for the first time...99.9% of us are kind and loving people and we keep our nastier opinions (if we have any) to ourselves...honestly!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9188495

Well said trackinsand! I agree with you completely!

Finished pulling the rest of my tomato plants out yesterday! It's way to hot for them to produce anymore. Gonna put that bed…to bed…until Autumn. Think I'll try drying the last of these little gems. I haven't done that before, so wish me luck….
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9188506

Good luck, Tim
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9188560

:-)) Thanks!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9188577

wow.. someone does need some counseling and it's not Jen.. I live on the east coast of NJ.. and know your rage against people as a whole is terrible.. nice mouth btw.. glad I can rise above your nonsense talk and not go to admin to ban you for being aggressive towards another DG member.. I read your words as a threat to Jen... my street has the friendliest people living here.. we are like a big family.. my next door neighbor is like a grandmother to me.. we have block parties and all get along great .. share plants.. food.. and help when needed.. not sure what twisted world you are talking about but it is not here that's for sure.. during our 5 day power outage due to a huge snow storm last year we all took care of each other.. I cooked for everyone because it was easy for me to do.. my neighbor came with a backhoe and moved the tree off the road in front of my house for us.. we all checked on the elderly to make sure they were warm enough.. not sure what the heck you are talking about.. but it is a wonderful place to live with fantastic people.. sorry off topic again.. but I am tired of seeing these negative and threatening posts

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9188589

Just drop the subject and move along for now, please...

This message was edited Jul 1, 2012 10:05 AM
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9188619

I always take on way too much. I make a year's supply of raspberry-strawberry jam; freeze a year's supply of blueberries; can a year's supply of marinara sauce; can a year's supply of salsa; freeze a year's supply of pesto.

This year I will also be adding: canning pickles, possibly making wine (pinot noir grapes), canning pears, and canning applesauce.

I also grow enough onions to last until around December; and enough winter squash for the whole year (store it in the garage).

Do I get burned out and tired? Yes, extremely. Once my kids are grown up, I probably won't be doing as much.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9188641

hah, kos, you say that now but once the kids are gone, you end up with more "on your plate" than ever. since i've been retired, i can't believe how i ever had any time to go to work...LOL
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 1, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9188956

Kos;Sometimes they never leave.
I have two in their 20s, plus my two parents and my sweet hubby that is sick but does what he can.
I felt burned out and tired too last year. But this year with a late freeze and a drought now up on us all I have was some wild plums.

Thumbnail by Liquidambar2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9188964

WOW! What a gorgeous stash! It's a shame you are not in Florida! I would definitely be coming by to see you for dinner! LOL!!!

ENJOY!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 1, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9188991

Tlm1
Ahhh shucks; that is nothing - I got two more shelves, bigger and just as full - this picture is just the one that my daughter decided to take a pictures of and I had it on hand.

See the crates on the left - by summer's end they too are full of sweet potatoes, potatoes, butternuts, cushaws, onions.
I also have two freezers. Last year they were stuffed - with blackberries and strawberries but this year is a bust. It is a shame too because I wanted to dry a bunch of blackberries to give away for Christmas - they are great in oatmeal cookies.

I have a question if you or anyone else would know;
In drying tomatoes - I cut them up and dry seeds and skin and all, But I am thinking that it might be better to just dehydrate the juice. Has anyone done it both ways and what is your opinion if you have?????

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9189042

what a pretty shot besides a lovely stash!!!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 1, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9189058

Why thanks One Wish
That was very kind!
My daughter really took an interest to photography - she even - bought a very expensive camera - studied hard- submitted her photos on line. She said they were very critical of everyone's pictures but you really learned a lot. She has not done much toward it lately though - she is just working - comes home to bed, then up again to work. She is a psych nurse for young kids. I am very proud of her, and of course I think her pictures are great!.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9189065

As I've stated before, my father is from NJ, and he's one of the nicest men you'd ever meet. So are his brothers.

Sorry LoveForests came from such a nasty background. I truly am. No one should ever be treated like that. But to lump all people from a certain area in to one category is just wrong. There are good and bad people anywhere you go. It's just a fact of life. It's too bad we can't all be good, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Enough said.

Back to topic, I have never done any canning or freezing. Should try it someday. We are only growing eggplants this year. No time for other stuff. Too many perennial beds to take care of, and working 60 hrs. a wk. will do take away a lot of your time.

Karen

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9189079

I have done pickles .. nothing like that wall of food that's for sure.. I don't have the space or sun for a crop like that... you are not a good photographer unless you take a 100 shots and only keep 2 good ones.. practice means everything with a camera and lighting.. granted you need an eye for prospective.. but a good shot is a good shot... and that's a good one

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9189094

oh, that picture just makes me warm and cozy. you've done a such a beautiful job, not only with the canning but with the display. it may not have been on purpose, but it is as pretty a picture of food as i've seen.

i feel like a wimp after whining to myself about cutting up a bunch of scallions to put in the freezer...i put up bread&butter pickles years ago and wild grape jam too...that's been many, many moons ago.
LoveBrug
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9189142

Liquidambar2
NICE stash! Brings back memories of being a kid in Ohio as everyone I knew canned .

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9189235

5 quart jars and 6 pint jars of dill pickles, all from what I picked today.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 1, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9189280

One wish;
I do have a lot more pictures of that shelf - she filled up a whole file on the computer. So, that was what she was doing. I thought she got some kind of obessive compulsive disorder about it. She does have one about washing her hands and I thought it carried over to this. What a relief! Whew!

Track in sand; nope, your right it was not on purpose just getting like things with like things. Anyone that does pickles esp bread and butter is not a whimp. Wild grapes - you are in Florida so is wild grapes the size of bbs around here or different?

LoveBrug; 2/3 of Kentucky moved to Ohio and then 9/10 of Ohio moved to Florida so we are probably kin to each other. My neighbor one time after seeing my shelves said it reminded him of his grandma's - I was a young woman then so reminding some older man of his grandmother - well I was not sure how I felt about it, but we eat it.

Happy tail- I hope they turn out crispy if you like them like that. I can't get them crispy but my husband always says they have a good dill taste. So I am satisfied. I believe I hear a storm coming. Oh I do so hope. We have not ha rain since June 4th and today is July 1. Please give a little prayer for us here in Rockcastle County, Kentucky.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9189510

It is sort of OCD .. Nothing to panic about.. Practice makes perfect .. And it is the only way to learn what works

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9189562

the wild grapes i picked were in arkansas and they were bigger than BB's but not by much! LOL
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 2, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9189783

Oh, fox grapes;
Well, you are some kind of worker!

But that is what we expect from the ----Ozarks???

Those vines only grow bout as high as a sky scrapper and only in a great while-- like when the tree finally becomes choked to death by them and falls or leans a bit can you get them!

So they are rare, hard to get, and once you get them so very small -- Precious jelly indeed!

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9189850

yes! fox grapes...haven't heard that term in years...and you are so right in your description! lol
i was a worker years ago...now i'm just a gardener...oh wait, that's the same thing, isn't it?

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9192183

LOL! My sister came home from work today, and I was off, due to being on vacation. I had been working in the gardens weeding all day, and she came home and asked me, "How was work?". I said, "Fine. It was hot!" I wish working in my garden could be my full time job.

Karen
Bloominggardens
Edgewater, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9218061

My hubby has been canning his hot peppers.

Thumbnail by Bloominggardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

July 25, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9218329

They are so pretty.
The year my husband retired - and was totally lost and sad about not working - I got him some hot pepper seeds and he started them in the middle of Jan.

We canned those.
Whole
with seeds

Oh my gosh; just plain painful!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America