Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How long to see signs of life on bareroot weeping cherries?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jeff_MD
Rockville, MD

June 25, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9180549

Hi,
I'm a beginning gardener working on making the yard of my first house my own! I live in Rockville, MD - and just fell in love with all the weeping cherries around here. My sister-in-law recommended I try to find some I could grown from native stock - everything I found in local nurseries was grafted.

I ordered three bareroot weeping cherries from Honey Creek and duly planted them. I carefully soaked the roots in Superthrive, and planted them in large pots of well drained soil. Weeks and weeks have gone by and I'm starting to feel silly watering what look like dead twigs in pots.

What is a reasonable amount of time before a dormant, bareroot tree should show some life?
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

June 25, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9180610

I don't have an answer for your question as to "time"; but when you begin to think you are dealing with something dead, scratch just a bit of the bark. If the cambium layer is green, you are still in business. If it is brown and dry, it is time for a burial. Best wishes.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

June 25, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9180694

Wannadanc has given you the right advice. They sure sound dead though.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 25, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9180795

Is this the Honeycreek you ordered from? http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3005/ Watchdog ratings don't look promising, and they're affiliated with another company that has questionable ratings, so it wouldn't surprise me if you got bad plants. When did you order them? If it was fairly recently, late spring/early summer is definitely not the best time of year to be getting bare-root plants via mail order. I would contact the place you bought them from and see if they will replace them or refund your money. They should be showing signs of life by now, so while I hate to give up on plants I think the odds are not in your favor at this point.

I also wouldn't worry about buying grafted weeping cherries--I suspect the reason why you usually see them grafted is because the rootstock they're grafted onto is better/stronger than the weeping cherry's own roots. The thing you have to watch out for on grafted plants is if you get sprouts from below the graft you need to trim them off, but as long as you keep your eye out for that you shouldn't have much trouble with them.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 28, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9185346

Weeping cherries are normally always grafted onto a stronger root stock as cherries are naturally up-right growing plants, to get the weeping type the grafts are normally at the top of the trunk, this has to be grown over several years to make sure the grafts are good, strong and growing hense the expensive cost, the growers have to care for several years each season making sure the grafts are Ok, the tree grafts are weeping and fruiting / flowering, so the grower has the cost of all this and repotting.
You say you planted the trees and weeks later still no sign of growth, have you watered the trees, have you added any humas, well rotted manure or compost to the soil, new trees, especially bare rooted ones need a good amount of watering, more so if in pots as the pots dry out faster than the trees that are in the ground, all new planted trees I have get a clear plastic drinks bottle with the base cut of, place top down into the soil at the root area, fill the upturned bottle with water several times to make sure the roots are getting water, well drained soil will not hold onto water as well as soil that has has humaus added or compost added. All tree's require a good load of compost etc added to the planting soil to help retain some moisture till the reach a mature age and can fend for themselves.
Like wannadanc, I would scratch a little but of bark away to see of green, if not then that part will be dead, if all branches are brown then I would ask for money back and use a better company, dont always go by the cost as cheap plants sometimes are good but as a rule, look for customers views too.
Good luck. WeeNel.
Jeff_MD
Rockville, MD

July 11, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9201735

Thanks for the advice. They are dead...oh well, live and learn! It wasn't a big investment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America