Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: A portable garden cage idea for raising cats!

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 181
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9180697

It's been a while since I posted on this forum. I thought I would share an idea that I tried that worked out quite well ...

I did a science project with the students in my class this past school year. (I'm a teacher assistant who teaches science. Life cycle of insects is a favorite topic!)

Instead of attempting an in-ground garden, I decided to do a portable, self-watering garden for our class project this Spring. It turned out to be a huge success ... but unfortunately ... I didn't know the extent of the success until school ended and I brought it home! (sigh) The students did still raise caterpillars/butterflies in cages in the classroom. The students were so amazed and excited, that some of my students started their own butterfly gardens at home! :-)

After getting the portable garden home after school ended, I was shocked at all the cats I found on some of the host plants. I guess we should have created the garden a month earlier so my students could've enjoyed them, too! Oh well ...

Anyway, wasps are a real problem here when raising caterpillars outside. So I built a cage frame for the portable garden to screen it in once the butterfly eggs were laid on the host plants. Very easy and cheap to make. This idea has worked better than any other cage I've used over the years, so thought I'd share the idea here on this forum.

Items I used:

PORTABLE GARDEN:
Large hard plastic bin (I used a bin that had wheels on one end so it was easier to roll into place)
1" diameter PVC pipe cut to a length that is at least 2" taller than the bin
Potting mix
Host and nectar plants
Empty 2 1/2 gallon water jugs
Drill - for making drain holes on the side of the bin (Do NOT put holes in the bottom of the bin!!!)

CAGE FRAME:
4 - 1/2" PVC cut to the height you want it to be above the bin
2 - 1/2" PVC cut to the length of the bin (approx. length - you might want it shorter than the bin length)
2 - 1/2" PVC cut to the width of the bin (approx. width - you might want it shorter than the bin width)
4 - 3-way PVC corner elbow connectors
10-20 - 1/2" PVC snap clamps http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8293-snap-clamps-for-34-emt-or-12-pvc.aspx
Clothes pins (used to pin the screen to the top lip of the bin)

Here is the YouTube video that I copied the self-watering garden bin idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INoLKg555w&feature=related

The following post shows some photos of my class project.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9180721

These are some photos of the portable self-watering garden that we made. We planted Milkweed, Parsley, and Passiflora vine as host plants. And added some nectar plants as well, though the host plants literally took over the portable garden. When I brought it to my home, I saw all the caterpillars and covered it with fabric netting. I later replaced the netting (because it kept tearing) with some sheer fabric that acts also as a little shade to the plants and caterpillars. Inside the cage I've been raising Black Swallowtails, Gulf Fritillaries, Zebra Longwings, and Monarch caterpillars. I had so many BSTs that they literally ate the two huge parsley plants to the nubs. If it doesn't grow back, I will replace with new plants. The cats ate much of the passiflora vine, too. But it will hopefully recover as the summer progresses so that I can raise more caterpillars. The Monarchs have not been as abundant lately, so only a few of those cats for raising. And I've got quite a few ZLW caterpillars that are getting ready to turn into chrysalises.

This project has turned out to be far more successful than I ever dreamed and it provides a self-watering container garden that doubles as a cage to raise butterflies in! I don't have to keep taking cuttings of plants to feed to my caterpillars in the smaller cages when they are raised in this type of cage!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 6:36 PM

Thumbnail by beckygardener   Thumbnail by beckygardener   Thumbnail by beckygardener   Thumbnail by beckygardener   Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click an image for an enlarged view.

txaggiegal
Belton, TX

June 27, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9183149

Great Class Solution -- thanks!
beckygardener
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9185677

txaggiegal - Glad you liked our class project! Anyone can create such a garden/cage!

Raising various butterfly species in the portable garden cage has it's challenges though. I guess when two different species of butterflies are competing for the same spot to form their chrysalis, they decided to share! LOL! I will probably have to remove the Gulf Fritillary chrysalis from the Black Swallowtail chrysalis. I couldn't believe that something like this could happen! Too funny!

Thumbnail by beckygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9188475

pretty cool!!
TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

July 23, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9216434

Great project Becky!!! I like it!

I made the mistake of putting a potted plant that had been out in the back yard for several months into a meshed reptarium. Little did I know it had several spider nests under the rim. Dratted spiders got to some of the caterpillars before I realized it. Note to self: Check under pots and rims!!! UGH!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America