Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: Split Leaf Philo

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 16, Views: 149
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9181013

This is a picture of my Split Leaf Philo. It lives on the east side of my south facing covered patio. It has gotten so that it has to be watered every other day..It has been in the 90's F here everyday that has not been rainy.

In this picture I have just watered it, you can see water droplets on it. I meant to take the picture before I watered but I forgot. :( . This is what it looks like on the evening of the day that I must water it.. All droopy, and hanging low. About 30 minutes to a hour after I water it is standing up all nice and pretty again.

Every other day when I check using the finger test it is dry and needs a drink..Which brings me to my questions. Should I pot up, or should I move it to a different location?

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 9:29 PM

Thumbnail by GreenThumbSuker
Click the image for an enlarged view.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9181203

Looks like you have quite a few plants there ... if keeping in mass, pot up. I would take the biggest healthiest plant and plant in the ground in Mobile(that's where I am from by the way). It will take temps down in the middle 30's with no problem. cover when you get those odd freezes 4-5 times a year. plenty of water and 1/4 strength Miracle Gro at every watering and that beast will ROCK!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9181204

Definitely pot up. It looks really healthy, but that's a pretty small pot for that much foliage.

I'll bet when you pull it out of that pot you'll find all roots.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9181213

I have one in the ground here in Huntersville, North Carolina. Shifting shade and morning / late afternoon sun!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9181215

For sure Elaine. Green thumb when you are watering every to every other day you need to pot up!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

June 26, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9181371

I agree with Dyzzypyxxy, you'll find all you've got is roots in that pot and, externally, roots don't hold water for long. And there's probably air passing through that root mass dessicating the roots themselves between waterings. Soil will reduce that air flow and act as a buffer between waterings. Of course, having too many plants in the one pot exacerbates the problem.
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9181426

Thanks for all of your replies.. When I bought it, it was all in this one pot. I guess I got a lot of bang for my buck but now it seems as if it is time to move on/up.

Homer1958, I believe I will take your advice (specially since you are a hometowner Homer) and put the strongest one in the ground.

Is it too hot to put it in the ground now? It being a tropical I, myself don't know if it can withstand the change whilst in this heat better than some other plants. I have two places that just might work. The space on the north side of the house, has morning and afternoon sun, but the middle and hottest part of the day gets substantial shade from two good sized Bradford Pear Trees. Another area that may work is on the west side of the house.. Morning shade (from the house itself) and mid-day sun, but about 2 pm on it gets shaded from the sun by a pecan tree that provides dappled shade. -- One more think that may work is I'm working on a project that incorporates plants along my long driveway.. I will add the link to that post here. If you can take a moment to view the pics there and see if you see a place that might work nicely for this Split Leaf Philo, I would be very grateful. BRB with the link.
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9181427

Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265265/

This project shows pictures of my driveway throughout the day. I have water access for the driveway bc my hubby rocks and put it in last weekend. :)

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 6:50 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9182015

Whether you just pot up or remove the larger plants please be sure to soak that pot for several hours or even overnight before you start. Philodendrons can handle water and it is important that the roots be supple enough so you can loosen them and spread them out. You don't want to repot the root ball as it is now. You will need to very gently separate them.

I looked at the beautiful pictures of your driveway and while it looks like a great location for the split leaf during the summer months I have concerns about the plants surviving during the winter. It is not the temperature but the sun. Those maples will lose their leaves and continue to take up moisture from the ground leaving the surrounding areas pretty dry. The shade and moisture loving philodendrons will scald, especially in cold, dry weather.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9182968

Alice... On the case! Sometimes I take things for granted that people know.
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9183009

My philo is in a tub of water soaking. I will seperate this evening.

Sadly, Looking around our 5 acres I don't think I have anywhere to plant that the shade from the trees won't be lost in the winter due to leaf drops in the fall.

I'll have to keep thinking on it or just put them back in pots on the patio.

**On another note, my hubby came home to our horses out of the pasture and one was on the back patio... Luckily my plants are safe. He has not taken a bite out of anything, but was looking happily at a pot that has Creeping Jenny and Corkscrew grass it in. Hubby got too him just before he took a bite. Whew!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9183117

LOL, I get the picture, yesterday I looked out the window to see a large deer at the bottom of my steps eyeing his supper in the pots lining the railing.
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9183225

We used to have 4 goats. We gave them away because every time they would escape the pasture they went straight to my beloved Japanese Red Maple and relieve it of ALL it's leaves. The first time I thought it was a goner. It happened a few times and then we found the goats a new home. I do think it stunted it's growth. I know they are slow growers but though it's happily growing up now, it should be larger than it is.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9185770

I guess you are just going to break down and build that greenhouse!
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9185809

LOL, It's almost complete. I just have to buy the plastic covering for it and put it on securely so that the wind does not blow it away...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9186884

Please post picture when complete!
GreenThumbSuker
Mobile, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9198630

I ended up just potting up with this baby for the time being. Its just sooo hot right now and I don't want to lose it to the heat. It has been in its larger pot for over a week and seems to be very happy. It looks great. I am not needing to water it every day..or even every other.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America