Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: which to keep?

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 2, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ambersas
Mount Vernon, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9182195

We got this small tree from Arbor Day Foundation a couple of years ago. Poor thing had a really bad time in the heat plus drought we suffered here in NE TX last summer. We did water it and thus it survived - barely.

This year it leafed out but the shoots at the base seem far more 'healthy' than the top part. The question is, should we cut off the original trunk/stem and let the shoots grow? Or, should we cut off the shoots so the plants resources go to the original trunk/stem?

It is supposed to be a red maple. . .

Thanks for any advice.

Thumbnail by ambersas   Thumbnail by ambersas
Click an image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9182435

I think the A.D.F. sells grafted red Maple trees. If so, what the healthy looking stem is coming from is a root-stock tree, and you don't want that one - it won't be a red Maple. I am sure someone will come by and give you correct information, but this would be MY guess.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9182504

Nothing wrong with Kay's advice - mostly.

If this is indeed a grafted (named) Red Maple, it was most likely grafted onto seedling Red Maple understock - which is what the foliage in the image looks like to me. This IS Red Maple, but the understock won't have the characteristics of the named/grafted top.

I don't think the top looks THAT bad, but you need to be the judge. If you are able to coddle this plant through another growing season, then I'd prune off the sucker at the base and let the top have a go at it. If you just want a vigorous plant and don't care if this is a seedling or not, let the sucker fire away. I'd tie it off to the main stem there to get it growing vertical this year, and then cut off the old trunk right before next spring's growth.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America