-
AuthorContent
ambersas
Mount Vernon, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9182220

Just noticed this tree, it's a post oak, next to a pond. Since we live in a forest of trees - post oak, loblollies, sweet gum, etc. here in NE Texas, its easy to miss one's problems. There are several places it is oozing, not just the one pictured.

Anything I can do for this one? I assume some sort of borer has invaded its bark. . .

any help gratefully appreciated.

Thumbnail by ambersas
Click the image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9182808

Sudden Oak Death (Phytophthora ramorum) http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/sod.htm looks very similar.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9183694

Bacterial wetwood / slime flux. Not usually very serious, but can indicate decay in the middle of the tree.

Resin
ambersas
Mount Vernon, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9184141

Thanks for the thoughts. . . I really hate to lose any trees. I'll see if I can look more closely at the leaves tomorrow. . . it's a tall tree!

Post oaks are known to be very touchy about changes in their environment - that heat and drought last summer did a lot of them in. Lost quite a few of our dogwoods also.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9185648

I've always found the Texas Forest Service very helpful. I was able to get an agent to come take a look at my dying water oaks a few years ago. There wasn't much that could be done to save the trees, but I got the fungus identified.
This link shows TFS Office locations:
http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?ctrl=10
You can also do a county search. According to the following link, you also have access to an Urban Forestry program.
http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/article.aspx?ctrl=14
You might be able to get them to go look at your tree.
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

July 1, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9188559

Betty is right...we are very fortunate to have the TFS as a resource...and the phone call and appointment are well worth knowing what is going on with the oak...we have lost sooo many of our oaks, the potential of saving even one is important...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America