Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Computer Talk: Advice about replacing modem

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 9, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 27, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9182947

DH's modem died, is the modem easy to replace and how much does a modem cost???????????
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9182975

Pretty easy and a modem/wireless router all in one is around $100 (more or less depending on brand and bells and whistles)

Make sure you get one for your type of service though (cable or DSL). You might have to call your cable company to get it to work whereas DSL is typically plug and go.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=cable+modem+wireless+router+combo

Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9183073

We need to back up here. When you say modem, I think dial-up. Exactly what kind of connection do you have to the internet?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9183520

Good call Doug. I guess I thought no one uses a dial up modem any longer but...
Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9183680

And, is this a laptop, or desktop computer?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9183805

[quote="hcmcdole"]Good call Doug. I guess I thought no one uses a dial up modem any longer but...[/quote]

I've seen all kinds of numbers but I suspect it is at least 10%, most likely more, maybe much more. Some rural counties may be as high as 70 or 80 percent. I know it wasn't available to me until about 2 years ago and then the few lines that could get it were quickly sucked up and it was another 6 months for more to come available.

annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9185775

Desk top, we are in a very rural area and dial-up is all that we can get. Our local gov is trying to get us high speed, but so far no luck
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9185807

If you have cell phone service, you may want to consider a USB modem. I did and I've never regretted it. Here's more info
http://www.verizonwireless.com/4g-usb-modems.shtml
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9186067

To answer you question.

If it is a separate board simply open the case, remove the one screw holding the modem in, remove the old modem and and then follow the above directions in reverse for the new modem. Of course the computer needs to be turned off. When I'm working on a computer I usually turn it off at the power strip or at the switch on the back. I do leave it plugged in so that it is grounded and I make sure I tough the frame of the computer before I touch anything inside to make sure there is no static built up between the computer and me.

If it is built into the motherboard you most likely will have to go into the BIOS settings and disable the modem on the board. Then you can install the new one.

When you turn the computer on windows should try to install software for the modem. If it is successful then you are done. If it isn't and the new modem came with a disk, follow the direction on the disk.

I encourage you to think about an external modem. After I went from a winmoden in a laptop to an external modem on a desktop I had many fewer dropped connections and about 20% faster connection. I don't know how much they are now but I paid around 50 from Newegg for mine.

I also recommend a surge protector that you plug you phone line into also. Phone lines are common ways for lighting damage to occur.

Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9187398

It doesn't have to be an external modem. They make internal "hardware" modems (different from winmodems). A winmodem uses the computers RAM and CPU cycles to "do it's thing". It uses Windows for it's software, and will be plug & play, which makes for an easy install but a waste of the computer's resources. A hardware modem will contain it's own hardware needed to connect. It's much more stable than a winmodem, and cheaper than an external. It's drawback is it needs drivers installed, specific to it's hardware (a disk will come with it).

Also, if the current modem is built into the mainboard, it shouldn't be necessary to disable in BIOS. The new card will simply be shown in Networking properties, and the connection enabled (as well as the onboard modem, disabled) from there. I only bring this up, because a user asking about the simplicity of swapping out a card probably doesn't know what the BIOS is, or how to enter it. I wouldn't point them in the direction of the BIOS or the Registry, unless it's absolutely necessary (it usually isn't). Many bad things can happen in either area, by clicking on the wrong thing. =)

My $.02 (YMMV)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America