Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Red cedar shavings as compost/mulch?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

June 27, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9183524

I put them in the doghouses and remove/refresh them 4x/year. I like the way the dogs smell when they sleep in them. And there are rumors that cedar oils in the coats help repel fleas... Maybe. Anyway, I have a lot several times/year, and normally I bag and take to the dump...

Conversely, since I like the smell of them, can I mulch with them straight out of the bag?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9183968

It's probably OK to mulch with J virginiana shavings, but I wouldn't incorporate them into the soil unless the volatile oils that give then their unique smell have dissipated - and then only sparingly lest you put your plants at nutritional risk as a result of N immobilization. The turpenoids, phenolic compounds, aqueous methanol ... are known to be allelopathic.

Al

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9274135

Maybe handle the aromatic mulch the same way you do inside the doghouse.

Every year or two or three, rake up the crumbling left-over mulch. Compost it in a pile with some added greens or source of Nitrogen. Let it compost thoroughly to decompose all the essential oils and resolve it's Nitrogen desire.

THEN turn it under the soil in your beds.

Or, an eaiser scheme would be to stop adding cedar or juniper shavings to a bed for a year or two. Instead, mulch that bed with something else (less woody) laid on top of the not-yet-fully-decomposed juniper or cedar. Like bark mulch. Then, after the bottom layer of shaving has no scent left, turn it all under.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America