Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What are these metallic cocoons on my trees?

Eastern Nevada, United States

I have been finding these metallic looking cocoons all over my yard and today found one on this tree limb that I had to trim off. Is it bad?

Thanks so much
Sandy

Thumbnail by SandyLJ Thumbnail by SandyLJ
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I would guess that they are egg masses rather than cacoons.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Could be stink bug eggs?

Egg masses is correct....I didnt know what to call them so that is why I said cocoons, lol. We have alot of Stink Bugs around here so possibly, I will have to look into that further.

Thanks for the info

Minot, ND

Maybe tent caterpillar moth eggs? - http://bugguide.net/node/view/105368/bgimage

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

cool picture. i've only ever seen them after they've made their "tent" and spread out over a host plant.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

What kind of plant are those on?

Tent cat eggs aren't white and they're not as flat on the stem, and these don't have the webbing around them.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

not saying that's what the eggs are, but they wouldn't have webbing until after they hatch and migrate to a fork of the tree. that's when and where they make their "tent".

This limb is from my Pauls Scarlet Hawthorne tree....my husband had broke it with the backhoe and so I finished cutting it off and discovered the eggs. I have also seen a few more of these exact eggs in my yard, one of them was on the back retaining wall and no where near a plant. I destroyed it because I am struggling with so many bug issues that I didnt want to add to it. I was thinking maybe I should try to keep the branch somewhere until it hatches and see what comes of it?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that would be a good idea...and take pictures!

(Zone 7a)

Yes, please!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it's always possible that these eggs could be from a predatory species of insect that would actually help with your bug problems.

Minot, ND

Re: "it's always possible that these eggs could be from a predatory species of insect that would actually help with your bug problems."

The fact that these masses appeared numerous would seem to make this unlikely. Also, eggs seem to be wrong shape - see http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/02/21/wheel-bug-eggs-2/ for assassin bug eggs.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i was thinking more along the lines of a Predatory Stink Bug......trying to look on the positive side! lol

I have placed the stem in a jar with a vented lid and will watch it and when they hatch I will take new photo's and submit them for your entertainment, lol.

Thanks so much for the help
Sandy

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL we're like little kids...coat our hands with molasses and give us a feather. we'll be happy for hours.

(Zone 7a)

ROTF!!! Yup!

:) you guys crack me up...thanks, I needed it!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sign me up for the bug watching. too..LOL..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.