AuthorContent

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9183686

I have two standards (Melody Parfumee) which have really gotten ugly and I didn't like them in the first place (long story). I thought they were dead but they're putting out a few new shoots. Not enough to try and save the standard shape but enough not to shovel prune the whole thing (unless I can't save part of it).

My question is this: Can I root these new shoots and make them into a bush? I realize they were probably grafted onto something because a sucker was inadvertently allowed to grow and produced a small, pink, single rose (similar to The Fairy). The blooms on the regular standard are big and sort of a mauvy-lavender. I might not get either but I'm curious as to what will happen. Anybody ever done this?

If this is a stupid question, please be kind. :-)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 27, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9183969

Are the new shoots growing from the ground? If so they are the root stock. You can probably root them if you want whatever rose was used for root stock. If they are growing higher up your rootings will be Melody Perfume growing on her own roots. That sounds quite possible to me too.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9184643

No, they are new growth on the top "fingers" of the plant. Will try to get a picture. There are several (they heard my threat to shovel prune if they didn't do something LOL). But not enough to keep trying to grow the whole top. It has gotten ugly and not worth trying to fix. They got blackspot and all the leaves turned yellow and dropped off. Some of the original canes are dead. I am excited because I love the rose. Just not the standard. If I could have a bush instead, I would be thrilled. Thanks, Porkpal.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9198485

Okay, I promised some pictures of my ugly girls. These are standards, Melody Parfumee, purchased from J&P back in 2009 (?). They were supposed to have been Mr. Lincolns, ordered for my mother for Mother's Day. They were a month late and they substituted these Melodys for the Mr. Lincoln, Mom didn't want them and by the time I could have gotten them back to J&P they would have been dead. So I kept them (I, who knew nothing about growing anything, much less roses), followed the directions and did pretty good, considering. I planted them in huge containers and put them on the deck where I could take care of them easily.

They were pretty the first year but it went downhill from there. This year I pruned them back pretty hard and they bloomed once, got black spot and dropped all their leaves. They have been naked for weeks. Then they heard me say "shovel prune" and they both went to work and started putting out new growth ... still not pretty but at least I knew parts of them were still alive. I want to keep the Melody Parfumee part, but not the standards. I want bushes. Thus, my question about rooting the new growth to get a new plant. The blooms on these things are drop-dead gorgeous -- quite large and a mauvy-pinky-lavender color. I can just picture a bush loaded with those beautiful blooms.

Now it appears I have a few buds forming. Since most information about propagating roses says it is best to use a stem with a spent flower on it, I thought I would wait until they bloom and take cuttings. Also I will take cuttings from those stems that don't have flowers. We shall see what happens. They will definitely be shovel pruned after I have my new roses started (IF I get my new roses started is more like it. :-)

Pictures: 1-blooms collected first year; 2 & 3-naked girls in June this year; 4&5-new growth and buds taken tonight

Thumbnail by JudyinGA   Thumbnail by JudyinGA   Thumbnail by JudyinGA   Thumbnail by JudyinGA   Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 9, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9198732

Good luck! I have Melody Perfume and she does not do well here; black spot strips the leaves but somehow she manages to bloom well anyway!

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9198752

Thanks, Porkpal. Glad to know someone else has problems with black spot on this one. Sure hope I can get me a nice bush. She is a beauty when she behaves.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9200091

Fun to follow along with your advetures in rooting, Judy. That is a pretty bloom. Can't wait to see more.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9200477

Pray that it works, Terry. I have never rooted a rose before. This one is just so pretty I hate to throw the whole thing in the trash/compost pile. I am not a "formal" garden person. That I have learned over the past few years. I am definitely a haphazard, cottage garden gal. Standards seem to belong in a more formal setting. Plus, they are hard to keep pruned so they have that perfect "lollipop tree" look. It takes a lot of patience ... which I don't have. LOL. I like to scatter the seeds, wait a few weeks, and say ... "OMG! Isn't that gorgeous?" And I did hardly a thing. :-)

Here's some more pics of Melody in her first year. You can see why I want to save it if I can ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA   Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 10, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9200554

JudyinGA, mine is a less formal and more "country" garden, too. I used to grow a standard Iceberg rose in my old English style garden. It had a cascading effect as I didn't prune it, just dead head and trim out crossing and dead branches. I thought it didn't really have a place in my new "country" garden so I gave it away. Then I saw a photo of a garden featuring a "loose" standard rose with daisies and nepeta planted around it in a haphazard shapped bed. Daylilies and shrub roses were growing along a plit rail fence in the background. Viewer smacks self on forehead with heal of hand. Duh! That would look very cool in my "country" garden. LOL! I was going to try that look with a Lady Emma Hamilton standard and the standard itself was coming along nicely. Visions of that gorgeous bed were dancing in my head with the colors tweeked to fit in with my new southern country garden! Then a @$#%^ calf jumped our fence while we were at work. Any number of beds, roses, daisies, and veg it could have destroyed. But noooooo, it must have headed straight for my precious standard on the patio and ate it down to the trunk. When we got home the calf was running around the yard with the trunk and roots hanging out of it's mouth--teasing the dogs in their kennel! I was really thinking veal (I'm not a veal person but this was the limit) for supper that night but we lease the grazing rights to a neighbor and the cows belong to him. Like my Chicago Cubs, I'll have to try again next year...

Good luck with Melody, she is worthy of the effort!
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9216313

Hi Judy, I knew I had the answer to this somewhere, finally remembered it was in my old 40-year-old volume of Readers Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening.

Its called air layering and involves putting an angled cut in a suitable branch of the top rose just below a leaf node, holding the cut open by wedging a toothpick or wooden match and then brushing it with propagating powder(hormones). make a tube of clear plastic and tie it below the cut, then make it airtight with tape and pack it with damp Sphagnum moss. Seal the top of the tube the same way. The plastic needs to be clear so you can see when the roots form.

I have enclosed a diagram which actually relates to a potted Rubber plant (Fig), but the procedure is the same for a rose. I don't know how old the rose branch has to be, but I think the same rules for cuttings would apply, - needs to be smooth skinned and at least as thick as a pencil. Hope this works for you.

Just as a tip, clean carefully around the graft area, where the top joins the base, and check whether or not the graft has been damaged, if so, you may have only a little time to get these new shoots going, If the top is actually loose. A professional would know how to fix it or if that if it's even possible.

Thumbnail by Gabi65
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9216320

Just as a tip, never put a new rose in the soil where another rose has been growing. The soil is fine for other plants, just not new roses, they will die, slowly, but eventually..
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 23, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9216475

Why will they die?
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9216535

The soil becomes what is called Rose-sick. Another rose in there will not thrive and mostly dies. I don't know the science of it, but it is true. (Some trees do the same thing to the soil around them, to keep out competition from other trees of the same kind, for available sun and nourishment.)

If you remove a rose in your garden and want to replace it with another in the same spot, you need to dig out all the soil possible (without damaging any other rose near it) from around it, and under it as well, about a wheelbarrow load, and replace it with really good soil and compost and, basically the best soil you can come up with to support the new rose until it settles in. No, not joking!

The soil is you remove will be fine for other plants, just not another rose.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9216560

Wow! Gabi. What great instructions. I may try that if my cuttings don't sprout roots. I have already cut four stems from old blooms and temporarily put them in water. Washed my little pots and they're ready to go. Tomorrow I will do the slicing of the bottom and dipping in rooting hormone regimen. Some instructions say just use potting soil, others say perlite and potting soil. I'm going to use the perlite mix. I even bought four bottles of lemonade in clear 2-liter bottles so I would have tops to put on them for the little mini-greenhouses. (Plus, lemonade really tastes great after being out in the heat. :-)

It appears the air-layering would work on a stem that did not have a bloom. I have several of those but none of them are as big as a pencil. I may try it anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement and support, you guys. I will keep you posted on my progress.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America