Bell pepper-turning black at stem branches

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

My Snapper Pepper was growing great-even had 2 blossoms. I go out today to check it, and it is black at every branch division. Not looking as healthy as it was either. Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Pictures would help, but black suggests rotting due to too much moisture. Could be other possibilities though, so posting some pictures would help along with some more info on how you've been caring for it (sun/shade, watering/fertilizing habits, etc)

Brillion, WI

I've often had that and it didn't hamper anything. Got tons of peppers. And my peppers are never overwatered.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks to both of you. I will do a picture as soon as I get a chance. Overwatering definitely isn't it. What concerns me is that it is in a bed of tomatoes that I grew from seed and another pepper (Big Dipper). Nothing else seems to be affected. . .yet. I sure hope you're right Teko!

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Blossom end rot is a common disease on tomato's and this disease begins at flowering time, then as it sets fruit, the problem shows up, you get brown or blackening on the fruits especially around the neck where the fruit is atatched to the stems, This is caused normally in drought or when the plants are allowed to dry out at the most critical time when the flowers are begging to set fruit, sometimes the whole truss of fruits are damaged, it can spread to other types of plants grown at the same area and with the same watering habits / watering regime.
Prevention is by making sure the soil never dries out, so stick your finger into the soil about 2 inches down and find out if the soil is dried out or not.
Hope this helps but maybe someone else can help further.
Best of luck, WeeNel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images