Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Bell pepper-turning black at stem branches

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9183700

My Snapper Pepper was growing great-even had 2 blossoms. I go out today to check it, and it is black at every branch division. Not looking as healthy as it was either. Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9183928

Pictures would help, but black suggests rotting due to too much moisture. Could be other possibilities though, so posting some pictures would help along with some more info on how you've been caring for it (sun/shade, watering/fertilizing habits, etc)
teko
Brillion, WI

June 28, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9185339

I've often had that and it didn't hamper anything. Got tons of peppers. And my peppers are never overwatered.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9189951

Thanks to both of you. I will do a picture as soon as I get a chance. Overwatering definitely isn't it. What concerns me is that it is in a bed of tomatoes that I grew from seed and another pepper (Big Dipper). Nothing else seems to be affected. . .yet. I sure hope you're right Teko!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

July 2, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9190233

Blossom end rot is a common disease on tomato's and this disease begins at flowering time, then as it sets fruit, the problem shows up, you get brown or blackening on the fruits especially around the neck where the fruit is atatched to the stems, This is caused normally in drought or when the plants are allowed to dry out at the most critical time when the flowers are begging to set fruit, sometimes the whole truss of fruits are damaged, it can spread to other types of plants grown at the same area and with the same watering habits / watering regime.
Prevention is by making sure the soil never dries out, so stick your finger into the soil about 2 inches down and find out if the soil is dried out or not.
Hope this helps but maybe someone else can help further.
Best of luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America