Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Three plants for which I need names...

Portland, OR

Hello,

I have three plants whose names I don't know. Can anyone help?
Thank you!

Thumbnail by NoraS Thumbnail by NoraS Thumbnail by NoraS
Perth, Australia

Image 1 looks like Lobelia.
Image 2 looks like a Medic of some variety (Medicago sp). Perhaps Medicago polymorpha

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 3:55 PM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I must agree with #2 looking like a Medicago sp. Though I've not seen that particular bloom color, the plant looks identical to a Medicago sp. that I had ID'd not to long ago.

Groveland, FL

the last one looks like goldenrod.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The leaf shape does not look right to me to be a Medicagon nor do the infloresences. I'm leaning toward Birdfoot Trefoil, Lotus corniculatus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/302261/

Edited to specify plant #2

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 9:24 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Agree that #1 is likely a Lobelia, perhaps L. kalmii or L. nuttallii, two of the few that display flowers interspersed with narrow leaves. If one of those, most likely L. kalmii since it occurs near-by in Washington and Idaho.

Perth, Australia

I think you're right greenthumb99 - It may well be Birdfoot Trefoil. At first glance it looked like the burr medic we get in lawns here in Western Australia. :-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The leaves of #2 do look like Medicago…But the flowers are totally different…I also think you may be right greenthumb.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I agree #2 is Birdfoot Trefoil, it grows all over here. I notice it in parks, this one was taken at a boat landing.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Portland, OR

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.